Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone got a recumbent bike or trike?

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Re: Anyone got a recumbent bike or trike?
Reply #30 on: July 24, 2019, 08:22:20 PM
Related to the hill situation, I hear they go downhill better then uphill.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #31 on: July 24, 2019, 09:15:30 PM
Related to the hill situation, I hear they go downhill better then uphill.
So I’ve read, the cheap one gear no chain setup I kinda figured,
I mean the Mrs is still kinda learning, yesterday she got stuck going uphill before almost going backwards before I jumped off the kids bike to push her over the little crest, was kinda funny, I keep telling her if you weave side to side it’s not going to be as hard as just straight up
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: July 25, 2019, 01:56:47 PM
They're not easy uphill, you can't lean into the climb, instead the entire weight of your trike and body seems to be hanging from your feet. Oh and don't try using recumbents after eating. Your stomach lies on your lungs and it's torture. Learnt that the hard way.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: July 25, 2019, 02:03:35 PM
I got a particularly 'easy' geared setup on my trike specifically for the hills (approx 12 g.i.) and there are lots of steep hills here. It might be worth looking into a setup that is more 'geared' towards hills.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #34 on: July 25, 2019, 02:30:35 PM
It's a good thing you mentioned the brakes MadP!  When you were talking about a recumbent trike I was thinking that it is all well and good to remain stable, but it seemed like the forward velocity would be a significant issue!    :ahhh

At the risk of being insulting, I believe that what you are thinking of is called a Dead Man Brake, although I am hoping you won't consider that too literally.  You hold it and the brake is off, then when it's released it activates, and I think that would be an invaluable part of the setup.  I would also suggest getting either clip in pedals or something with a strap for your feet, as them falling off the pedals could pull them under before you come to a stop and also cause further problems.

A recumbent tadpole is still on my wish list, but I have a few other expenses at the moment, so I doubt I'll be in the market again any time soon.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: July 25, 2019, 03:46:56 PM
I am a "bit" late but how about a packraft? Those seem perfect for bike transport and seem to handle quite a bit of rough waters as well?

People even seem to combine biking and rafting so that packraft is transported with a bike and vice versa:

I know it is not exactly what you wanted, but it seem it would be easier to haul around with a bike compared to an actual kayak.  :D

Also I've been wanting one for quite some time.  :gimme:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: July 25, 2019, 07:24:17 PM
Around here it’s pretty flat, it’s those couple around the corner then up the little streets,
The Mrs trike is just a plain trike, it’s got two diff brakes, the front the norm, the back idk, something to do with the axle, it’s got pins on the brake handle yet when I locked it and started walking away it started rolling away, so I locked the front instead, I think it’s got to be in motion or forward?
All I know is she’s been absolutely crazy, it’s her first bike, she’s never had one and even though she does her three walks a day with the dog she still wants to do a bike ride,
I want to ride with her but I’m nervous as hell I’m going to end up going over the side, not that I’m going to feel it, just the after effects and whatever damage.. thus why I fig a recumbent trike would be the best?
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: July 25, 2019, 07:34:23 PM
Around here it’s pretty flat, it’s those couple around the corner then up the little streets,
The Mrs trike is just a plain trike, it’s got two diff brakes, the front the norm, the back idk, something to do with the axle, it’s got pins on the brake handle yet when I locked it and started walking away it started rolling away, so I locked the front instead, I think it’s got to be in motion or forward?
All I know is she’s been absolutely crazy, it’s her first bike, she’s never had one and even though she does her three walks a day with the dog she still wants to do a bike ride,
I want to ride with her but I’m nervous as hell I’m going to end up going over the side, not that I’m going to feel it, just the after effects and whatever damage.. thus why I fig a recumbent trike would be the best?
JR

You would have to try very very hard to tip over a real recumbent. The one I have is less stable being higher up.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: July 25, 2019, 07:56:01 PM
Something like these
JR

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: July 25, 2019, 08:06:47 PM
Something like these
JR

Yup. I did a bunch of research back when I was buying. Let me know if I can help.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: July 28, 2019, 06:21:09 PM
I might have been been going at this the wrong way the whole time, there’s no way I can afford a $3k  high class recumbents, but, there’s people that are taking used bikes chopping them up and turning them into them! My only problem is I don’t have a welder, but if I can find some one around town to take care of the few spots it shouldn’t be too much but the rest I can handle,
  But people are getting rid of bike all the time if not free cheap, the only other real big cost is the main frame, but look at these, and tell me your wouldn’t want to be seen on one! They said that green one only cost $40.. but you can see on  the parts of bikes, I especially like the rear part with the shock!
JR

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: July 29, 2019, 05:14:57 PM
I might have been been going at this the wrong way the whole time, there’s no way I can afford a $3k  high class recumbents, but, there’s people that are taking used bikes chopping them up and turning them into them! My only problem is I don’t have a welder, but if I can find some one around town to take care of the few spots it shouldn’t be too much but the rest I can handle,
  But people are getting rid of bike all the time if not free cheap, the only other real big cost is the main frame, but look at these, and tell me your wouldn’t want to be seen on one! They said that green one only cost $40.. but you can see on  the parts of bikes, I especially like the rear part with the shock!
JR
There are a bunch of great recumbent trikes in the $1-2000 range.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: July 29, 2019, 06:46:57 PM
There are a bunch of great recumbent trikes in the $1-2000 range.
Some, ain’t nothing under 1k, we’ll besides that one mojo which is pretty much a ride around the park (flat surface) only!
I really want to make my own but I don’t have a welder..
JR

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: July 29, 2019, 07:23:35 PM
Some, ain’t nothing under 1k, we’ll besides that one mojo which is pretty much a ride around the park (flat surface) only!
I really want to make my own but I don’t have a welder..
JR

Welding aluminium is tricky isn't it?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: July 29, 2019, 08:19:35 PM
Welding aluminium is tricky isn't it?
True, but bikes are steel, an easy weld
JR

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #45 on: July 29, 2019, 08:59:47 PM
  Check the Recumbent Classifieds on Facebook, and Cragslists. Often can find a good deal, but ALWAYS check for cracks and possible cover-ups of clamps, extra hardware, seat clamps, and check for possible repairs.

If I had the resources/funds would get a Greenspeed Magnum XL with a speed booster. There is e3Trike group on Facebook that sows MANY options of e-assist and types of motors that can be used. If you go electrical assist get something of 750 watts for hills, and get good batteries! Batteries are often more expensive than the motors.

I have a TerraTrike Rover as there was not  many options for overweight people. Greenspeed Magnum or Magnum XL at $3700, and the Rover was $1100. And I've upgraded over the years. You would probably not even recognize my Rover now.  :D
DSC00160.JPG
* DSC00160.JPG (Filesize: 103.18 KB)
DSC00162.JPG
* DSC00162.JPG (Filesize: 93.9 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Reply #46 on: July 29, 2019, 09:13:54 PM
  Have a Low Rider Rack with a seat bag to take up the wasted space, a smaller Tern rack, wider handlebars, Versa Bars, a Rover post, GoPro Hero camera, Joby Cellphone camera mount, an extended light bar on the Rover post, and even undercarriage lighting.

Even rode down the Weiser River Trail twice, 30 mile run. Did not go this year as some idiot ran into the back end of my subcompact wagon and it has had some phantom issues. Besides the trail lost a trestle which had a 3 mile detour, and a main highway bridge is being rebuilt, so this probably would not of been a good year all the way around.

I go where I want most the time, but hills are a pain in the ass cause I do not have multiple chain rings up front, and no granny gears. Would like to get that 3 speed Efneo drive from Poland, but it's too expensive for me. And a NuVinci 380 rear driver, then hills would not be an issue. Think Roger has Patterson and a NuVinci 360 on his and hills are not as bad on him as they are on me.

Gearing, gear inches are the main concerns to be addressed, as well as what you can afford. And can honestly say get what you can afford, and maybe go up a notch or two. Also check for warranty, and whether your LBS can support/maintain what you cannot fix.
Me-Rover-ChildrenBikes -S.jpg
* Me-Rover-ChildrenBikes -S.jpg (Filesize: 142.77 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #47 on: July 29, 2019, 09:16:35 PM
6218.jpg
* 6218.jpg (Filesize: 160.2 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: July 29, 2019, 09:22:36 PM
Oh cool, that’s nice! I’d have to put some lights and mirrors and stuff,,
Yeah I’ve been searching, and people around here are like our one son, they think you can buy a game system for like $500, use it for a year then see that the next and better setup came out and now sell your old setup for $500 because that’s what he paid for it! It would be diff if it was still wrapped and in a box, even though it’s still out of date,
    I’m still really up for this making my own, but I don’t have a welder and I don’t really know the neighborhood, one step at a time..
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: July 29, 2019, 09:26:04 PM
Wow, that looks fun, I mean so far our farthest trip is 3.2miles, and that was to go get a bite to eat, we’re both disabled,
JR

Reply #50 on: July 29, 2019, 10:17:27 PM
  There was a guy that lived in the park but had since moved on. He thought of himself as an inventor and had welded parts of bikes together to make a cheaper trike. He was fast6, but I would not of trusted something like that!  :ahhh  It worked, was fast, but definitely redneck all the way.

https://www.facebook.com/JackarooJim/videos/pcb.1482689678457180/1482688375123977/?type=3&theater
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #51 on: July 29, 2019, 10:21:53 PM
  In the 90's I rode a single speed Brike. Think paid $500 for one at a discount, had lean steering. Rode it from North Sacramento to Old Sac, up the American River Bike trail to Folsom and back. The hill down from Folsom was steep and had a long curve, then a sharp one into the trail. I took that, leaning as far as I could, but was going so fast I went off into the bushes! LOL

Is getting harder to find anything on the internet about these. I had one like the white one in the photo below. Bad part about these was the low point was a few inches off the ground and would grind on speed bumps and dips.
129.jpg
* 129.jpg (Filesize: 60.95 KB)
Brike+2.jpg
* Brike+2.jpg (Filesize: 140.45 KB)
e34352ed68a9ac6e4822b5b72d70a394.jpg
* e34352ed68a9ac6e4822b5b72d70a394.jpg (Filesize: 33 KB)
7ddf8de6631bfb46e37ba506749247cf.jpg
* 7ddf8de6631bfb46e37ba506749247cf.jpg (Filesize: 86.08 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #52 on: July 29, 2019, 10:34:06 PM
As cool as that looks that would really suck on the tires!
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: July 29, 2019, 10:35:11 PM
That other one your guy in the park built is kinda like the one I’m after but I want to be tilted back,
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #54 on: July 29, 2019, 10:38:14 PM
I just worked my magic on the Mrs since I found a deal on a book that has a section on building your own recumbent bikes :whistle: heck wasn’t even $5..
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #55 on: July 29, 2019, 10:39:25 PM
Funny part was it was being sold on three diff places for three diff prices yet all from the same seller, so went with the cheapest,,
JR

Reply #56 on: July 29, 2019, 11:01:12 PM
Funny part was it was being sold on three diff places for three diff prices yet all from the same seller, so went with the cheapest,,
JR

They don't have very good reputation, and many have had to alter their schematics.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjtzO_SgdvjAhVSoZ4KHWjHCoQQFjAAegQIABAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.atomiczombie.com%2FDIY%2520Plans.aspx&usg=AOvVaw3gs6zNq8GvSFL4TSoY-ISR

There is a KMX tadpole trike kit around $500, could be more. Have to really dig into searching for one to find it at a good price.
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: July 29, 2019, 11:11:03 PM
That’s one I kinda like, with the use of a bike with shock on the back, then two simple front ends, then just plop some type of seat in the middle,
JR

Reply #58 on: July 30, 2019, 10:03:20 AM
  Read this in a Recumbent Trikes Group forum on Facebook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bXHZl-6J_o&feature=share
¬ Outback in Idaho

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: July 30, 2019, 06:31:26 PM
  Check the Recumbent Classifieds on Facebook, and Cragslists. Often can find a good deal, but ALWAYS check for cracks and possible cover-ups of clamps, extra hardware, seat clamps, and check for possible repairs.

If I had the resources/funds would get a Greenspeed Magnum XL with a speed booster. There is e3Trike group on Facebook that sows MANY options of e-assist and types of motors that can be used. If you go electrical assist get something of 750 watts for hills, and get good batteries! Batteries are often more expensive than the motors.

I have a TerraTrike Rover as there was not  many options for overweight people. Greenspeed Magnum or Magnum XL at $3700, and the Rover was $1100. And I've upgraded over the years. You would probably not even recognize my Rover now.  :D

I test rode a Magnum XL a couple of years ago, it's a solid trike. Went for the Greenspeed Anura (bought as kit) in the end, I'm too disabled  (no ankles) to easily get in and out of a tadpole and I wanted weight on the driving wheels for off road riding. Just had a ride on it a couple of hours ago actually after tuning up the front brakes (I hate tuning disk brakes!). I'm trying to build up my strength after two years of not riding since I replaced my electric bike with a car. The Greenspeeds are OK though I'm rather wary of the component choices. I would prefer some higher quality parts, build quality and QC (I've had a whole bunch of problems including having to grind down the axle just to get the wheels to fit on, having to change out all the screws, the seat mesh is coming apart after just a few months, twisted brake disks out of the box, etc). Unfortunately you can't expect better even at that price range. It's annoying that the amount of money which would buy a very nice custom bike with top notch components will just about buy a 'ok' trike. Accessory pricing is also sky high. Getting a set of mud guards for my trike is close to $200 for example. That's crazy money. Ditto even simple accessories like light mounts. A bag rack for the trike is $80+. Of course if you want to put your trike on a rack at the back of your car, yeah, they aren't cheap, $500+ in comparison to under $100 for a regular bike rack.

I've thought of e-assist for my trike, if the time comes and my disability no longer supports a non assist it should be a pretty easy addition. In the meantime I'm running with a 11/34 cassette and a 46/34/24 triple up front with 20" wheels. Suitable for off road and the hills around here rather than built for speed on the flats or downhill. I get 13.2 gear inches, I'd prefer 10 G.I. for the mountain bike tracks but it will do for the moment. :)

Are there any good trike forums out there? I was on bentrider but found them rather, um, aloof with beginners. Nothing like as friendly and pleasant as over here.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 06:49:41 PM by pomsbz »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%