Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ZapWizard's Leatherman Free P4 Mods

ZapWizard · 511 · 119863

au Offline aussieman

Re: ZapWizard's Leatherman Free P4 Mods
Reply #120 on: July 02, 2019, 06:25:31 AM
Here is the purchase page. I made it available to anyone who wants it.
(I believe store linking is allowed during July)

Ordered.  :drool: What a spectacular service. I was going to trim it myself and less than 24hrs later I have a custom designed one ordered. Just wow.

Love the ramp you just added, my clips arrived and I was doing a mockup with magnets and that ramp will be a great usability addition.

I love this cut down version because the amount of repositioning my fingers need while pulling it out and going for the main blade is minimal. I can have a better grip on the tool while extracting it, which is good because I am one klutzy koala.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #121 on: July 02, 2019, 04:32:54 PM
Ordered.  :drool: What a spectacular service. I was going to trim it myself and less than 24hrs later I have a custom designed one ordered. Just wow.

Love the ramp you just added, my clips arrived and I was doing a mockup with magnets and that ramp will be a great usability addition.

I love this cut down version because the amount of repositioning my fingers need while pulling it out and going for the main blade is minimal. I can have a better grip on the tool while extracting it, which is good because I am one klutzy koala.

You just experienced the true future of manufacturing. This is why I am kicking myself that I didn't get a 3D design degree.

au Offline aussieman

Reply #122 on: July 02, 2019, 05:18:41 PM
You just experienced the true future of manufacturing. This is why I am kicking myself that I didn't get a 3D design degree.

Amen. It’s one thing to imagine it. It’s another to experience it. Zapwizard is spoiling us.

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #123 on: July 02, 2019, 05:42:32 PM
That is the goal behind true on-demand manufacturing. Shapeways is great for this, however it is still frustrating as I now have a dozen different versions of the wave holster, but their website restricts me to five "Sizes" per page instead of letting make as many as I want.

• No Life Club
Reply #124 on: July 03, 2019, 02:46:02 AM
That is the goal behind true on-demand manufacturing. Shapeways is great for this, however it is still frustrating as I now have a dozen different versions of the wave holster, but their website restricts me to five "Sizes" per page instead of letting make as many as I want.

Bastages... :rant: :rant:

Do you think there is any way to create a T-shank exchanger for the P4? That is literally the golden ticket, but I am not sure there is enough space.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #125 on: July 03, 2019, 08:20:17 AM
 :iagree: Now THAT is another great idea... space may be an issue though... as I recall the older Surge T-shank holder/file/saw blade exchanger without the extra spring is 3.1 mm thick. One might get away with using the principle applied to the thinner ST300EOD T-shank holder. Where's my calipers?
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #126 on: July 03, 2019, 03:53:32 PM
:iagree: Now THAT is another great idea... space may be an issue though... as I recall the older Surge T-shank holder/file/saw blade exchanger without the extra spring is 3.1 mm thick. One might get away with using the principle applied to the thinner ST300EOD T-shank holder. Where's my calipers?

I just had an epifany. Rather than set it up to fit into the blade slot, why not make it fit in the middle like Zap's bit exchanger? You could reduce the thickness by the width of the file or awl and still be able to fit a two piece exchanger setup. Yes, you would have to carry the t shanks separately, but it would be worth it imo. That means theoretically u can use Zap's exchanger on one side for drivers, and on the other have a t shank exchanger that can fit Leatherman's surge file/saw kit + one thinner tool such as the awl. Having this other option would give ppl a different setup that could contain the original philips and flat drivers if wanted.

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #127 on: July 03, 2019, 06:13:14 PM
If you look at the scissors on the P4, they are shorter than they need to be. (Leatherman could have put in Surge sized scissors)

There is 12mm between the folded-in scissors, and the spacer on the pliers. That spacer is 3.0mm thick.
I was curious if some tool could be added to replace the spacer, my thought was a lanyard loop, but maybe a T-Shank holder could be squeezed in there, but 12mm may not be enough space.

• No Life Club
Reply #128 on: July 03, 2019, 10:13:56 PM
If you look at the scissors on the P4, they are shorter than they need to be. (Leatherman could have put in Surge sized scissors)

There is 12mm between the folded-in scissors, and the spacer on the pliers. That spacer is 3.0mm thick.
I was curious if some tool could be added to replace the spacer, my thought was a lanyard loop, but maybe a T-Shank holder could be squeezed in there, but 12mm may not be enough space.

12mm width is definitely too small unless you are some master engineering wizard  :think:.....oh wait.  :woohoo: :woohoo:

However, I would still consider a t-shank exchanger as part of the middle tools.

00 Offline Slygrin

Reply #129 on: July 04, 2019, 04:31:38 AM
ZapWizard, very well done! I couldn't be happier. I can't wait to see what you do in the future.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #130 on: July 04, 2019, 04:46:46 AM
Hey Zapwizard. Your work is amazing here.  :salute: A little suggestion since you are going ahead with the 4mm bits. Perhaps you could consider 3D printing a stack/sleeve/storage similar to the LM 2D bit holders to hold a row of 4mm bits? I think it's pretty sweet.

Offline eymantia

Reply #131 on: July 04, 2019, 07:51:35 AM
Hey Zap, love the work here. I would be interested in a straight Leatherman bit driver (as someone who has invested in the set, not in 4mm bits) without the bottle opener, as every damn thing in the EDC world has one at this point. I'm thinking just a solid version of your first design. If you could make one, it would be the last thing to finally convince me to buy a P-series tool.

• No Life Club
Reply #132 on: July 04, 2019, 03:15:27 PM
Hey Zapwizard. Your work is amazing here.  :salute: A little suggestion since you are going ahead with the 4mm bits. Perhaps you could consider 3D printing a stack/sleeve/storage similar to the LM 2D bit holders to hold a row of 4mm bits? I think it's pretty sweet.

Hell yes! I would love to not carry 4mm bits in an Altoids tin

Btw I love how the driver and the blade
 tabs are similar in color.

• No Life Club
Reply #133 on: July 04, 2019, 03:28:03 PM
Hey Zap, love the work here. I would be interested in a straight Leatherman bit driver (as someone who has invested in the set, not in 4mm bits) without the bottle opener, as every damn thing in the EDC world has one at this point. I'm thinking just a solid version of your first design. If you could make one, it would be the last thing to finally convince me to buy a P-series tool.

He decided against it for good reason. By using 4mm bits he eliminates liability issues. The bottle opener is a "free" tool. Also the bottle opener can be used to grab standard 1/4 inch hex bits. Really clever function of it imo. Check the third page to see how the opener can hold standard hex bits.

Offline eymantia

Reply #134 on: July 04, 2019, 07:05:27 PM
He decided against it for good reason. By using 4mm bits he eliminates liability issues. The bottle opener is a "free" tool. Also the bottle opener can be used to grab standard 1/4 inch hex bits. Really clever function of it imo. Check the third page to see how the opener can hold standard hex bits.

I’m aware of the function of the bottle opener, but it wasn’t exactly a “free tool.” IIRC it interferes with the  ability to hold the bits properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #135 on: July 04, 2019, 07:46:32 PM
I have had at least a dozen requests for a Leatherman flat bit version. I think I can go ahead and make it now that I know the shrinkage amount and got the locking portion to work correctly. But alas I will be offline for most of this month, so it will have to wait until later.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #136 on: July 04, 2019, 08:43:14 PM

I have had at least a dozen requests for a Leatherman flat bit version. I think I can go ahead and make it now that I know the shrinkage amount and got the locking portion to work correctly. But alas I will be offline for most of this month, so it will have to wait until later.

:like:

See, better to let the man answer himself    ;)

• No Life Club
Reply #137 on: July 04, 2019, 11:25:06 PM

See, better to let the man answer himself    ;)

:facepalm: :facepalm:

True story..never doubt the wizard.

:cheers: HG

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #138 on: July 05, 2019, 08:26:42 AM

:drool: :popcorn: :drool: :popcorn: :drool: :popcorn: :drool: :popcorn: :drool: :popcorn: :drool: :popcorn: :drool: :popcorn: :drool: :popcorn: :gimme:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Offline vadsoom

Reply #139 on: July 07, 2019, 01:08:01 AM
Zap! Totally fantastic! Put me in for the LM flat version too!

• No Life Club
Reply #140 on: July 08, 2019, 05:54:52 PM
Hmm, I think the flat version is going to need a stronger magnet and a barrier between the magnet and bits. Otherwise magnet is likely to crack. Zap probably already knows this I'm betting

Offline Michael Callahan

• New User
Reply #141 on: July 09, 2019, 02:56:28 AM
I do like the magnet idea for the bit-driver. Leatherman uses only 2 types of bit holders a hinged version for the Skeletool and the regular one used on the other multitools. Neither one of those use a magnet.

• No Life Club
Reply #142 on: July 19, 2019, 01:47:38 PM
Zap, do you think there is a way to make a t shank exchanger in the scissor slot? That would sell me on the P2 with both your add-ons right now.

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #143 on: July 19, 2019, 03:00:10 PM
I’d be in for the Leatherman version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

at Offline Sidewinder

Reply #144 on: August 07, 2019, 07:52:05 AM
Awesome work Zap! :like:

Already ordered a holster for my Charge TTi (open clip version). Can not wait anymore :mail:
Thank you for your outstanding engineering performance :hatsoff:.

Greetings from Austria

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #145 on: August 07, 2019, 03:45:41 PM
Zap, do you think there is a way to make a t shank exchanger in the scissor slot? That would sell me on the P2 with both your add-ons right now.
I don't think I could do that with 3D printing, it would require both milling and sheet metal parts.

Already ordered a holster for my Charge TTi (open clip version). Can not wait anymore :mail:
Thank you for your outstanding engineering performance :hatsoff:.
Thanks.

I am going to be working on the Leatherman Flat bit soon. I am getting lots of requests for it from YouTube and email.

• No Life Club
Reply #146 on: August 07, 2019, 07:27:22 PM
I don't think I could do that with 3D printing, it would require both milling and sheet metal parts.
Thanks.

I am going to be working on the Leatherman Flat bit soon. I am getting lots of requests for it from YouTube and email.

thats great news!  :clap: :clap: :2tu: :2tu:

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #147 on: September 03, 2019, 07:47:36 AM

Howdy folks. I have been working on other projects, as well as getting my eyes lasered. I recently got back to working on my tool designs.

Due to popular demand: I ordered a Leatherman FREE P2. I have to say, I don't think the P2 is a good option compared to the P4, only because it isn't that much thinner or lighter. Holding them side by side, you will see the P2 actually had the front scales tilted towards the middle, making it thicker than it appears. It is only a few millimeters thinner than the P4. Both are expensive, so I understand perhaps saving a few bucks to get the P2.

However, folks will still get the P2 and need a holster for it. My design is now complete, and just need to order the prototype in the next week or so. It is very similar to the FREE P4 holster. The only real difference is that you can't put it in four different ways, just two. The tilted front scales prevent flipping it around.

--------------------------

I also finally came up with  design I like for the Leatherman Flat Bit Holder. The design ditched the magnets, as they just don't work well with the Leatherman double sided bits. Instead I have two arms that will grip the small detents on the side of the bits.
To ensure it can handle lots of torque, the sides wrap around the front to keep this as stiff as possible. Another awesome thing you can do with 3D printing that is impossible using other production methods. It does mean that it will have issues with recessed screws, but that is what the Leatherman Bit Extender is for.

--------------------------

As with the prototype, it folds into the tool with the bit at an angle, but deploys straight.
It will also have a 1/4" horizontal opening, but no bottle opener.

I would love your folks feedback while I work on a few other designs. Also coming soon: FREE series holsters with 4mm and Flat bit holders on the back side. The SuperTool 300 holster design.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #148 on: September 03, 2019, 11:29:32 AM
Just one smaller concern, it seems that there is not a lot that holds the back end of the inserted bit in place against torque and bending apart from the inner side walls (only restrictive sideways, not up/down), so all that holds the bit in particular against torque and up/down bending is the front, curved part of the bit holder. I realise this is probably due in part to the design of the springs, but perhaps one could still add some faces inside that hold the LM-profiled (if that makes sense) part of the back end of the bits? For this, you might need to decrease the spacing between the spring arms and the adjacent fixed faces, but it would be worth it. Or alternatively execute each spring as a bifurcated loop surrounding a central, comparatively rigid hollow holding profile, where the apex of the loop engages the bit's indent (hope this is clear  :think:).

Edited for clarification (hopefully)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 01:22:07 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #149 on: September 03, 2019, 03:48:51 PM
I think your talking about torque twisting the bit along the same axis as the bit-grips. (Clockwise/Counter-clockwise relative to the cut-away image)
Right now any torque in that direction would push up against the inside surface of the spring, since it would hit the middle of the spring, there would be lots more force here, and the springs wouldn't move much.

The spring arms need to be as long as possible simply due to the fact that the material is quite stiff, as well as to discourage cracking over time. Springs like this are always a bit tricky, I have to prototype the part in the actual material, and then test the feel to ensure they aren't too tight or too loose. With the goal of holding the bit, but allowing it to be removed by just your fingers.

After looking at the cutaway, with non-1am eyes, I realized that since I removed the magnets I have more space behind the bit. I can actually move the entire bit backwards a bit, this would allow the front flat-hex opening to become deeper.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%