Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I got my new phone.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
I got my new phone.
on: December 30, 2008, 12:15:58 PM
Well for me a cell phone has allways just been a cell phone. However I was looking into my stuff I cart around and decided that I needed to simplify. So I ditched the I pod, watch,PDA,Camera. and phone.

I actually got the LG Chocolate III It does it all for me and it is a toy I have been playing with constantly. I love having nothing in my pockets anymore, and just having this phone. I know all you techy guys are rolling your eyes over a cheepo phone but I really am happy with it. It aint an apple I phone, but I wont be distraught if I trash or loose it. Plus I can also use it as a usb storage!

What do all you use?
S

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Re: I got my new phone.
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 12:47:47 PM
Still you my Sony Ericsson k790i been almost two years and it's still ticking. Will be upgrading to something better soon. Glad you like yours.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 03:22:52 PM
I'm still using the HTC Touch Smartphone running Windows Mobile 6.

It's like having a small computer with me- it can do almost anything I can do with my laptop, only smaller.  I can watch movies, listen to music, surf the web, send/receive email, get an up to the minute weather report, keep track of my schedule, contacts etc... and it's got a 2MP camera built into it as well.

It's a handy little monstrosity, but battery life is significantly less than a standard phone.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 03:29:15 PM
Nokia 1100  :-[

Does have a torch in the end though :)

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 03:34:00 PM
I have been using an iPhone 3G for a good three months now.. I really like all the apps for it.. I have a knot tying app, Army knife app, fishing and huning game apps, and even a first aid/emergency app!
B

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 05:48:43 PM
ive been stuck with a SE W910 more than a year....been looking for a better one for a while now maybe a N95 8GB :drool:
A

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 11:26:44 PM
I have a Palm Centro. it works well but prefer the Blackberry.

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 11:48:37 PM
Two tin cans,and a string!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 11:51:18 PM
Two tin cans,and a string!!
Nothing wrong with old school :salute: :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 12:08:24 AM
Nokia N95. You gotta love Finland and the crazy finish people.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 01:05:44 AM
D900 samsung.

I'm actually in the market for a new phone. Went to the store the other day and asked for something smaller and lighter (or at least not bigger/heavier than my samsung) including bluetooth, no touch screen and a GPS reciever and of course the possibility to make a call  :D.

Is has been two years since I got the samsung and with current speed of development in technology I expected the guy in the store to come back to me with something as small as a watch or a squirt and as light as hot air that can beem to the uss enterprice and with an eternal power source, at least!

And you guessed it, he did not  :(  He proud told me that the latest models have a 100 miljon megapixel or something like that camera, I can store miljons of MP3's and conect with the ISS orbiting the earth  ::) And they are as big as my phone 10 years ago. What's up with that?

No, no, I don't want to take pictures, listen to music or "phone home". I just want to make a d..mn phone call on a smaller and lighter phone!  :rant:

Pff, happy to get that of my chest  :D ;)

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 01:11:01 AM
Motorola Krzr K1m, it works okay, has mp3 player. Although I wish it can take HD microSD card, right now it can only take 2GB max instead of 8.

Although it seems newer the phone suckier the battery life. My buddy had an old motorola that goes a week of use without charging, then he upgraded to a LG chocolate and it dies in three days, same as my krzr.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 01:14:20 AM
My iPhone has a horrible battery life..  :( The Krzr's break easily, right? A few of my buddies have them, and the front display is cracked etc...
B

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 01:14:25 AM

And you guessed it, he did not  :(  He proud told me that the latest models have a 100 miljon megapixel or something like that camera, I can store miljons of MP3's and conect with the ISS orbiting the earth  ::) And they are as big as my phone 10 years ago. What's up with that?

No, no, I don't want to take pictures, listen to music or "phone home". I just want to make a d..mn phone call on a smaller and lighter phone!  :rant:

:D

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 01:16:33 AM
My iPhone has a horrible battery life..  :( The Krzr's break easily, right? A few of my buddies have them, and the front display is cracked etc...

Mine's a year old now and it's good, the front is either glass or hard plastic so don't drop it.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 01:20:56 AM
lol! Yeah, I want a barbie phone!!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 01:41:59 AM
Cute, but phones are not really getting smaller. but just packing more features in. This is BHC And wifes.
http://www.samsungmobileusa.com/Juke.aspx

I know I know she is only 7 but she wanted one and she really has been good with it lately. However she has all the High school musical songs and Hanna Montanna loaded in it.
S

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 12:11:46 PM
I have a Nokia 6500 slide . I always have Nokias because there is a service shop five miles away from me so if they ever go wrong I take it in and they fix it while I wait . Fantastic service .

Dunc

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 04:06:51 PM
I never get Nokias because I hate going to the service shop, wherever it is!   :pok:

Seriously, I have had a few Nokias and Audiovox phones over the years and I was never fond of any of them.  The Sony phones I have had were better quality, but I really didn't care for the way they were set up- specifically the "JogDial Navigator" wheel.  For those not familiar with it, the JogDial Navigator is a scroll wheel built into the side of a Sony phone, allowing you to instantly scroll through your contact list, then press it in to call the selected contact.  Great feature, except when you forget to lock the keypad after use, and you put it back on your belt, and everything that brushes up against the phone causes it to randomly call people on your list.  No thanks... one gigantic phone bill and I was done with that sucker!

I think the best phone I ever had was the Star Tac 3000.  At first I thought it would be too flimsy, but bought it anyway for the small size- large by today's standards, but at the time it was microscopic... plus Motorola had a rep for building the toughest communications devices known to man, so I decided to give it a shot.  Well, I'll tell you, I used that sucker in the rain, had it on my belt when fighting bad guys, clinging to the outside of 18 wheelers, on patrol in blizzards... you name it, I did it, and that little phone kept coming back for more.  Sure it wasn't fancy, but it would take a pounding, never drop a call and get signals in places where no one else's phones would.  It still works, but the batteries are long since dead, and it doesn't work now that most coverage areas have gone digital.

Lately I have gone to HTC phones- not a thrill for you European guys, but HTC has really only appeared over here in the last year or two, and the Touch has really impressed me as well.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 04:20:03 PM
I'm I right in saying mobile coms and services are a little more advanced in Europe the the States .

Dunc

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 07:03:19 PM
Here's my current phone.  I've been told it has a great battery life plus it comes with a neat carrying case:

j/k, I actually have a RAZR v3i... been using it for 2 years now.  I want to upgrade to a slider (RAZR z3 or LG shine?) or smartphone but I like the v3i because it has a built-in ipod player.  On the downside, the v3i does not work with bluetooth headphones so I can't listen to the ipod wirelessly. Some sort of hardware protection by Motorola and iPod. :(
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 07:18:51 PM
I'd stay away from the Z3 if you like to send a lot of text messages.  The keypad is simply awful.
I'm back!!

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 08:31:01 PM
I'd stay away from the Z3 if you like to send a lot of text messages.  The keypad is simply awful.

Thanks for the info, Benner.  I actually don't text message at all (I've sent maybe 3 text messages in the past 5 years) so a good text message keypad isn't a big concern for me.  I just want something with a big screen but compact size.  I've never had a slider phone before so I might get one for my next phone.  Then again, smartphones are really tempting too since I'm really comfortable using Windows Mobile/Pocket PCs.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 09:08:59 PM
Texting is a very difficult thing on the iPhone.. I have big sausage fingers, and they don't make it any easier!  :-\
B

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 08:57:19 AM
I think Brits are one of the biggest texters in the world .My tariff has unlimited text messaging on it  >:D

Dunc

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 06:06:45 PM
I think Brits are one of the biggest texters in the world .My tariff has unlimited text messaging on it  >:D

Dunc

The Norwegians are pretty high on the list also, especially with the teenagers (darn hoodlums). The Norwegian teenagers are also very high on the list of people using SMS services that cost like 5$ per text, pic or sound.

I hardly use my phone for SMS or telephoning  and therefore have a telephone bill around 10 $ a month, and 5$ of those 10 are my insurance
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 06:24:37 PM
My oldest daughter can easily send 750 texts in a month . I text alot and sometimes Mike and Ben are on the recieving end  >:D

Dunc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 08:09:45 PM
My oldest daughter can easily send 750 texts in a month . I text alot and sometimes Mike and Ben are on the recieving end  >:D

Dunc

We are greatful though.  :D
I'm back!!

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #28 on: January 03, 2009, 03:46:20 AM
I don't text much.. If I do, it is to my Fiance.. I usually just call or leave a message..
B

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #29 on: January 03, 2009, 08:54:27 AM
Blackberry Curve

I like it, though it was issued to me via my job. I did not choose it.

Like many things that are purely functional, it has to be carried to be appreciated. Then it becomes indispensable.
G

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD