Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spyderco: Police v. Byrd Cara Cara2 SS Independent of Steel

00 Offline SgtTowser

Steel independent, which is the better knife?

I am asking for a steel independent assessment, because most know the differences between steels, and whether the difference in steel is worth paying for in their intended use. I am asking if the Police is better in other ways?

Spyderco Police: 4.00” Part Serrated VG-10, 5.06oz = $143.50

Spyderco Cara Cara2 SS Byrd: 3.75" Part Serrated 8Cr13MoV, 5.7 oz = $36.69

Just read Grant’s commentary on the Spyderco Police that might have been subtitled: “Rules, we don’t need no stinking rules!” And I loved the naked rite of self-contradiction in pursuit of a higher edge.

Alas, Grant dragged my reason kicking and screaming into another impasse.

Spyderco makes a Spyderco Police that should be called the Parapolice, but is in fact called Spyderco Cara Cara2 Byrd SS.

The price difference is $100 or so.

The steel difference for the record is VG-10 vs. 8Cr13MoV.

Weight difference: .01 oz

The aesthetic difference is small enough to reside even more than usual in the eye of the beholder.

The difference in blade length is carrying a concealed weapon everywhere vs carrying a concealed weapon some places.

Degree of authenticity is arguably equal. The Police is a Spyderco. The Byrd Cara Cara 2 is a Byrd by Spyderco based on a Spyderco Police rebadged as a Spyderco. If you have authenticity issues, take it up with Sal out in the alley. 

Again: I am looking for opinions on which is the better knife independent of steel and why?

Thanks in advance.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Spyderco: Police v. Byrd Cara Cara2 SS Independent of Steel
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 09:36:25 PM
Going to watch this with interest. I'm much more fond of Bryds than Spydies. The Persistence and the Ambitious were the best Spydies I've owned,but the assorted Byrds beat them hands down I  bang for the buck
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 04:08:37 AM
The Cara Cara 2 is obviously far cheaper. About $30 new. I have the Rescue 2, which is based on the frame of the Cara Cara 2. Really solid hard-use knife at a bargain price. It also has an Emerson opener version that came out recently.

Police does have better steel, but it's heavy and expensive.

Personal preference in my opinion. I'd buy both, leaving the Police as an EDC (IF you can legally carry such a large knife where you live, I can where I live, but WV doesn't allow anything over 3.5" blade) and Cara Cara as a work knife.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 07:18:56 AM
KIRK13,

I have not handled either knife, but I have long been struck by their similar weights, forms and frame/scale materials. I have long kept a Spyderco Resilience with 4.2 inches of 8Cr13MoV for a odd jobs knife around the house. I really like the Resilience for that app. It cuts and cuts and feels safer in my hand for cutting heavy, awkward materials or thick rope. Hell, I have stabbed it and used it to cute out dry wall that needed patching. I cut shingles with it. I love that big Spyderco, and I would carry it any day I am in cargo pants out in the world, if it weren’t for the law. It’s size is such that I just dare not take the risk of a police officer not liking my style and finding it in my pants, even in a state where any length is permitted. It just looks like something it isn’t. It’s what I call a house machete, not a fighting knive. So it stays home, so it does not get mistaken for what it is not.

Now this Police clearly is what it looks like. And the Cara Cara looks too close for comfort in a pull over, but at least it’s UNDER 4.0”

I am not a knife fighter. I am a knife lover. But my recent drift has been toward sleeker form factors and cheaper steels. I have preoccupied myself with small and lean is beautiful in the pocket. Yet, I miss a longer blade every now and then. And both these knives fit the sleek form factor to a tee with some extra blade.Though the Poiice is a work of art to my eye, the Bird’s double choils and even that crescent at the back of the handle for a little finger makes me think it might hold right.

I wonder if the washers are the same on both knives?

I really like the double choil on the Bird, as I really like my fingers. The older I get, the more parts of me stop working. So: fingers working become more and more important.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 07:24:16 AM
I think CC2 is more related to the Endura but not sure, police may be longer then CC2.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 07:27:59 AM
Cody6268,

Buy both end runs making a choice for sure.

But I don’t need two more big knives right now.

I wonder which one holds better, since they are both pretty smooth on the scales?

Do you know if they are made of different steels in the frame and scales? The Police is a quarter inch longer and weighs almost the same.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 07:29:22 AM
Blackbeard,

I do see a bit of Endura resemblance, now that you mention it. Thanks.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 07:33:09 AM
SS  combo Endura is about $105 so maybe take that into consideration, but if you need the finger choil only the Byrd has it

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 08:20:39 AM
SS  combo Endura is about $105 so maybe take that into consideration

:iagree:

This would be my recommendation as well.  I have a PE SS Police, and had (haven't seen it for years and no idea where it is; I should probably pick up another one) a PE SS Endura.  These two knives are very similar, but
  • The small increase in blade length does not justify the massive increase in price IMHO.
  • The Endura blade is safely under 4" vs. the Police blade at over 4", which may actually be a significant advantage for the Endura in some jurisdictions.
  • To my hand, the Endura handle feels more comfortable/ergonomic than the Police handle, but YMMV.
  • I believe the Endura blade shape is superior for general utility vs. the Police, primarily because of the thin tip on the Police (which is made even thinner by the swedge).

I don't own any of the Byrd series.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 08:26:43 AM by nate j »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 02:27:39 PM
Get the SS Endura.  It's more bang for the buck, and carries better than the Police. 
Barry

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 03:37:20 AM
Thanks all for the Endura SS suggestion. It looks even closer to the Police and has the VG 10. Miss the choil though because of fumble fingers.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 02:27:54 PM

Gratuitous Police series pic.  The Police 4 Lightweight, bottom, is more akin to an XL Endura than its Police bloodline.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 08:42:29 PM

Delica, Endura and Police.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 02:14:43 AM
Nice Spydercos PowerNoodle!

:like:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #14 on: September 06, 2020, 02:21:23 AM
 :salute:

us Offline David

Reply #15 on: September 07, 2020, 03:24:40 AM
I've always like the Police more than the Endura. The Endura is a good knife I just like that long pointy blade of the Police better.    :tu:      :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD