Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC in DEC

Nix · 2113 · 44906

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: EDC in DEC
Reply #120 on: November 14, 2020, 07:58:45 PM
Imagine that for this challenge you are an MTo agent being dropped behind non-tool-user lines. Your mission is to get by and blend in, posting intel in the form of a photo back to the agency (call-sign: Enabler-6), on a daily basis. There will be no resupply. You are on your own. You'll have to move fast and not get caught. If caught....deny awl knowledge of MTo.  What will you pack?  :think:  Think carefully, 'cuz that's awl you'll have.......  :salute:

Your “imagine” brings up a new question - What about single use items?  My edc pouch includes some single use items (FAK and hygiene).  If I use an item (ie antibacterial hand wipe), can I replace  it?  If I were traveling, my travel bag usually has spares of many of the items, so that I can replace if used and still maintain the contents.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #121 on: November 14, 2020, 08:11:16 PM
Your “imagine” brings up a new question - What about single use items?  My edc pouch includes some single use items (FAK and hygiene).  If I use an item (ie antibacterial hand wipe), can I replace  it?  If I were traveling, my travel bag usually has spares of many of the items, so that I can replace if used and still maintain the contents.

Great question!   

I think 'spares' are legit. So if I use a stamp or band-aid or eye drops, I think it's fair to replace those items. Same for batteries for phones or lights. These are expendables that one would normally expect to replace on a regular basis.

And you are allowed to refill your water bottle as well.   :rofl:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #122 on: November 14, 2020, 08:18:18 PM

I suppose we could do an 'ADD EDC' challenge at some point, e.g. "come up with a new EDC kit every day...bonus point for losing some of your EDC during the day....try to post a photo...but feel free to get distracted...by...hey! Look!  A butterfly!"   :rofl:

:rofl:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #123 on: November 15, 2020, 10:59:36 AM

The point of the challenge is to test one specifically designed EDC kit or set-up for a month.

Creating a new EDC kit everyday......that's just normal life... :rofl:......not really a challenge.

So, this is strict. I was thinking about a two or three day grace period to allow for some last minute additions or deletions....but you could do that beforehand. So...NO! Develop your EDC before the challenge, use that EDC for the duration of the challenge. No additions, no deletions.

I suppose we could do an 'ADD EDC' challenge at some point, e.g. "come up with a new EDC kit every day...bonus point for losing some of your EDC during the day....try to post a photo...but feel free to get distracted...by...hey! Look!  A butterfly!"   :rofl:

Imagine that for this challenge you are an MTo agent being dropped behind non-tool-user lines. Your mission is to get by and blend in, posting intel in the form of a photo back to the agency (call-sign: Enabler-6), on a daily basis. There will be no resupply. You are on your own. You'll have to move fast and not get caught. If caught....deny awl knowledge of MTo.  What will you pack?  :think:  Think carefully, 'cuz that's awl you'll have.......  :salute:

:salute:
No change it is. I am pretty much ready. I'd like to cut down on weight if I can. I mean I can, but I know I won't.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #124 on: November 15, 2020, 11:24:33 AM
01. Nix
02. Sos24
03. ReamerPunch
04. SirVicaLot
05. Barry Rowland
06. PaulDmmwc
07. RF52
08. SurgeUK
09. It's a me, Mario GearedForwards
10. Comis
11. old Lefty
12. styx
13. Kev D
14. JPAC
15. Fuzzybuckets
16. FanaticExplorer
17. McStitchy
18. Echotech

Did someone say badge :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #125 on: November 15, 2020, 03:15:00 PM
 :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #126 on: November 17, 2020, 02:46:08 AM
I've been working on my EDC for this challenge.  By which I mean, I threw a few things together......

The photo looks a bit odd....I used an old digital camera to take the shot. That way I could capture my cell phone in the photo.   :D

Starting from the Cell phone (top left) and moving clockwise:

Cell phone
"Piggin' strings", two
Bandana (the actual bandana may be rotated for laundering)
Pocket caddy with: Streamlight, Fisher Bullet pen, Vic Skipper
Vic Alox Rambler
Paracord bracelet
Mini Bic (inside para bracelet)
Money clip (w/cash if available)
Maxpedition wallet (with extra EDC stuff inside)
Keys with mini pry bar and Vic 4x driver key

Not shown: Coronavirus mask and trousers (worn when in public, most of the time.)

I was thinking of going more minimal, but the Skipper is new and I couldn't let it sit on the shelf. The other stuff I typically have in my pockets anyway. I used to be somewhat lazy about carrying a pen, but with Covid on the rampage, I try to keep a pen (never shared) with me at awl times now.

The Maxpedition wallet is not my usual wallet. It is my 'adventure wallet' and is stuffed with too much stuff. I'll get into that in more detail later. It is the only item I'm not very happy about, but...I have EDC'd it in the past and I'm sure it will serve well during this challenge.

So, reserving the right to change up my EDC on DAY 0, this is my set up.   :dunno:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #127 on: November 17, 2020, 04:19:16 AM
I'm getting ready too.  :like:
I have removed some items from the man-purse and Maxpedition Micro that have seen very little use, which also reduced the weight a little. Still have some stuff to do to organize everything a little better.

It will be interesting to see who carries the least and who carries the most.
I will be in the heavier side of edc, probably carrying the most, unless someone outweighs me with a backpack. :ahhh

us Offline Sos24

Reply #128 on: November 17, 2020, 05:34:17 AM
Nix - I understand what you mean by adding the Skipper because it is new.  I was also thinking about going light, but the Spirit OHT is tempting because it is new.  I still have not decided yet and probably won’t until shortly before.

au Offline Echotech

EDC in DEC
Reply #129 on: November 17, 2020, 08:23:18 AM
Decisions…keen to keep it lightweight and (shorts) pocket carry only, but not being allowed to change it up is going to make it hard.…that’s the point of course :think:

This is what I reckon i can get away with

Discovered I can just fit my glasses in with the sunnies in the NiteIze case, then phone and back up battery in the stretchy pocket that can clip to my waist, nicorettes in right pocket, wallet with SAKs and keys clipped in left pocket.

Tried it out and feels pretty cumbersome, need to lose some of my COVID belly as everything feels too tight in shorts, would be ok in jeans, unlikely in 2 weeks I suspect.…will I need to crack out a bag :dunno:

Still deciding if I go with bantam or cadet as main SAK and between ambassador or manager/rambler for scissors

Think it’ll be bantam as I’ll get nail cleaner on either back up, scissors better on ambassador but lose the small and super useful philips

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #130 on: November 17, 2020, 09:29:26 AM
Decisions…keen to keep it lightweight and (shorts) pocket carry only, but not being allowed to change it up is going to make it hard.…that’s the point of course :think:

This is what I reckon i can get away with
(Image removed from quote.)

Discovered I can just fit my glasses in with the sunnies in the NiteIze case, then phone and back up battery in the stretchy pocket that can clip to my waist, nicorettes in right pocket, wallet with SAKs and keys clipped in left pocket.

Tried it out and feels pretty cumbersome, need to lose some of my COVID belly as everything feels too tight in shorts, would be ok in jeans, unlikely in 2 weeks I suspect.…will I need to crack out a bag :dunno:

Still deciding if I go with bantam or cadet as main SAK and between ambassador or manager/rambler for scissors

Think it’ll be bantam as I’ll get nail cleaner on either back up, scissors better on ambassador but lose the small and super useful philips

Nice options so far! Are you sure you want only the Tube for a torch for an entire month though?  :ahhh
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

au Offline Echotech

Reply #131 on: November 17, 2020, 09:42:38 AM
Nice options so far! Are you sure you want only the Tube for a torch for an entire month though?  :ahhh

:iagree: True so true GF  :tu:

What I really want to carry is best shown here plus added multiple MT’s  :climber:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85720.msg2168371.html#msg2168371

Trouble is it’s going to be the middle of a Sydney summer, I just want to wear shorts and T-shirt walking the dog and nipping up to the pub for a couple of frosties, not have to carry what I’d normally  stick in a bag or car. That’s why this challenge is a hard one,  :twak: be much easier in winter with a jacket and jeans pockets to stick it all in…well I’ve got 2 weeks to work it out

Question-  can I use what I like at home or I am also limited to this edc?  ???
My edc is just that for carrying, but once home I’m back to the full set up normally  :climber: :multi: ???

• No Life Club
Reply #132 on: November 17, 2020, 10:06:30 AM
:iagree: True so true GF  :tu:

What I really want to carry is best shown here plus added multiple MT’s  :climber:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85720.msg2168371.html#msg2168371

Trouble is it’s going to be the middle of a Sydney summer, I just want to wear shorts and T-shirt walking the dog and nipping up to the pub for a couple of frosties, not have to carry what I’d normally  stick in a bag or car. That’s why this challenge is a hard one,  :twak: be much easier in winter with a jacket and jeans pockets to stick it all in…well I’ve got 2 weeks to work it out

Question-  can I use what I like at home or I am also limited to this edc?  ???
My edc is just that for carrying, but once home I’m back to the full set up normally  :climber: :multi: ???

The glasses case is the biggest bulk issue I think, I take it that the glasses are reading glasses? Just put a bunch of stuff on your belt   :tu:

A bum bag or sling bag would be a decent option if you have one, or buy shorts with more pockets  :whistle:

I think we're limited to the EDC unless somrething comes up that it can't handle?  :dunno:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #133 on: November 17, 2020, 10:23:27 AM
The glasses case is the biggest bulk issue I think, I take it that the glasses are reading glasses? Just put a bunch of stuff on your belt   :tu:

A bum bag or sling bag would be a decent option if you have one, or buy shorts with more pockets  :whistle:

I think we're limited to the EDC unless somrething comes up that it can't handle?  :dunno:
You’re right it’ll have to be bum bag or sling if I can’t use anything else for a month…crikey what have I got myself into :rofl: :whistle:

• No Life Club
Reply #134 on: November 17, 2020, 10:35:44 AM
You’re right it’ll have to be bum bag or sling if I can’t use anything else for a month…crikey what have I got myself into :rofl: :whistle:

Don't worry about it! You have two weeks to finalise everything and pick out a wheelie suitcase for your final selection  :rofl:

au Offline Echotech

Reply #135 on: November 17, 2020, 10:45:48 AM
Don't worry about it! You have two weeks to finalise everything and pick out a wheelie suitcase for your final selection  :rofl:
:rofl: I think you might well be right…It’s becoming between one of these two :whistle:

• No Life Club
Reply #136 on: November 17, 2020, 10:49:38 AM
:rofl: I think you might well be right…It’s becoming between one of these two :whistle:

So that's what they call an Aussie can then?  :rofl:

au Offline Echotech

Reply #137 on: November 17, 2020, 10:56:31 AM
So that's what they call an Aussie can then?  :rofl:
:rofl: haha like it :drink:  bit light on the beer but!
:cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #138 on: November 17, 2020, 02:27:58 PM
I think we're limited to the EDC unless something comes up that it can't handle?  :dunno:

That's the idea.  Now, no MTo challenge has been intended to put you in harm's way....or prevent you from opening a beer.  If you resort to using a non-EDC tool at home or work, that's fine. Just let us know why the EDC wasn't ready for every day.

These covid-tinged days, I'm not doing a whole lot. I've been getting along fairly well with just a Classic in me pocket. So....the extras in my current EDC plan almost seem like extraneous stuff. Still, it will be interesting to see how the 'upgraded' EDC kit works & carries.

Going minimal is actually pretty smart I think. I suspect you'll find that you need less than you think. I suspect that my Skipper won't see a whole lot of use, where as the Rambler, pen, and light will.

On the other hand, ReamerPunch will emerge from this challenge stronger, leaner, and fitter......   :rofl:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #139 on: November 17, 2020, 03:00:22 PM
On the other hand, ReamerPunch will emerge from this challenge stronger, leaner, and fitter......   :rofl:

How did you know? :like: You may be joking about my edc weight, but your statement is true. :D
Since the end of August I think, I have lost around 18 kilos. You may have noticed my KFC and pizza posts in previous challenges, but not recently. I've stayed away from junk food for about two months now.
I had also started to work out, to prepare for the Nessmuk Challenge bowdrill fire I wanted to do. I knew it would be strenuous, but after the exercise and eventually improving my technique, it is not so bad.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #140 on: November 17, 2020, 03:14:31 PM
Hey, congratulations!  :tu:

(I was just joking about your EDC weight.   :D)

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #141 on: November 17, 2020, 06:17:18 PM
Nix - I understand what you mean by adding the Skipper because it is new.  I was also thinking about going light, but the Spirit OHT is tempting because it is new.  I still have not decided yet and probably won’t until shortly before.
The OHT needs to be put through its paces* and I can't think of a better person to do it  :salute:

*Before I decide to buy or not buy one (God only knows what it'll cost in the UK  :ahhh )
They don't like it up 'em!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #142 on: November 17, 2020, 06:36:08 PM

McStitchy approves option number one  :like:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #143 on: November 17, 2020, 06:46:00 PM
I think I've got the main part of my EDC sorted.

I've tested my two new pocket caddy options over the last 2 weeks. First the one with the Spirit and last week the one with the Wave. And I'm leaning towards the Spirit because I actually felt the extra bulk and 30g of the Wave.

Aaaand I've got mail today  :mail:
So hey... could I leave it unused?  :D
resize-1265.jpg
* resize-1265.jpg (Filesize: 115.98 KB)
resize-1266.jpg
* resize-1266.jpg (Filesize: 178.94 KB)
resize-1267.jpg
* resize-1267.jpg (Filesize: 148.76 KB)

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #144 on: November 17, 2020, 06:48:50 PM

Reminds me of...

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #145 on: November 17, 2020, 06:51:19 PM
:rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #146 on: November 17, 2020, 07:39:53 PM

I've tested my two new pocket caddy options over the last 2 weeks. First the one with the Spirit and last week the one with the Wave. And I'm leaning towards the Spirit because I actually felt the extra bulk and 30g of the Wave.

:like:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #147 on: November 17, 2020, 08:14:46 PM
Hey, congratulations!  :tu:

(I was just joking about your EDC weight.   :D)

:agree:  great accomplishment.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #148 on: November 17, 2020, 08:18:00 PM

Congrats.  That will be a nice carry and in a nice caddy.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #149 on: November 17, 2020, 08:27:39 PM
Congrats.  That will be a nice carry and in a nice caddy.

Cheers Sos24... until your package finally leaves the Irish customs and gets to my door I guess  :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%