Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which SAK for a SAK Virgin?

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Which SAK for a SAK Virgin?
Reply #30 on: January 22, 2021, 10:40:24 PM
Generalizations, everyone uses them.  ;)

This is a fun thread, we get to virtually spend somebody else’s money.

Just a thought, how about a Classic for on the keys and a 91mm for in the pocket? Maybe a small Tinker, another great gateway SAK. That way you have a handy, pocketable tool and scissors and nailfile.

I thought about the Signature instead of the Classic, but as some wrote already: The 91mm scissors are an eye opener. Not sure if I want to withhold those  :think:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #31 on: January 22, 2021, 11:04:48 PM
Well you guys are not making this any easier  :rofl:

I think I will go with Cellidor because of the classic look and feel. That is most peoples mind image when you say Swiss Army Knife.

Also I would not go thicker than three layers. So either Compact, Climber or Super Tinker. I think for most people that are not initiated SAK Knights, the opener layer is more useful than the combo tool. So I guess the question is corkscrew or backside Phillips  :D
As you seem to have strayed from the path of the righteous (Alox) I would respectfully offer the below (it's my mostest favourite, non Alox :D )
Tinker Sapphire.jpg
* Tinker Sapphire.jpg (Filesize: 88.4 KB)
They don't like it up 'em!

nl Offline nitram

Reply #32 on: January 22, 2021, 11:31:26 PM
I thought about the Signature instead of the Classic, but as some wrote already: The 91mm scissors are an eye opener. Not sure if I want to withhold those  :think:

They are nice scissors. So, Climber? And when he inevitably tells you how much he likes it in a couple of months you could show him some other options and complete his conversion?

Have you considered having it engraved it to make it even more personal?

us Offline Real1

Reply #33 on: January 23, 2021, 12:19:23 AM
Depends on your real usage desires. Let me explain:

I've been using SAK's since the 60's. They have been the source of more conversations than I can remember after pulling one out of my pocket.....especially in the pre-TAS days. But I've also done a lot of survivalist trekking in my younger days. While they attempt to do a lot, the old style, many gizmo folders are not really strong. They may get you by in a pinch, but they're not serious survival tools.....nor were they ever expected to be. Kind of a stop gap thing supposedly issued to Swiss solders.

But the SAK's have evolved and I really do like those bigger/longer folders with the lock button and just a few tools. But then only as a good pocket knife for camping....nothing more. 

The charm of the many themed pocket gizmo folders is undeniable though. And for that reason, I take turns slipping the different models into my pocket depending on my mood. I don't think I've ever been fishing without the Fisherman's model and never been at a ski resort without the black slabbed Snowboarder's model. The rest(I think I have ten other) I just switch up.

I have both Victorinox & Wenger.  Seems like the Wengers are a tad stronger, while the Victorinox are better finished. Now, I've never used their actual tool knives which I believe they manufactured at some point or still do. I can't attest to their strength and general usability. However, when the tool knife subject comes up with fellow blue-collar workers, I never hear SAK's mentioned.

Point of the post is;I have always loved the SAK's....but I baby them because I know of their breakage points. And if I was to have a serious folder for survival trekking, it wouldn't be SAK's. Although I might keep a small one stuffed in a pack somewhere while trekking.

Not trying to cross swords with anyone, but I have been using them for 50yrs so that's my take on SAK's.

Kevin

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: January 23, 2021, 12:43:59 AM
I just thought: Are there any SAKs with architect or woodworking related themes on the scales?  Maybe a classic? They make those in so many different designs, you would think there should be something  :think:

Initially I would have said Compact, but with these clarifications the answer obviously is: Huntsman Wood!

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: January 23, 2021, 12:45:53 AM
Depends on your real usage desires. Let me explain:

I've been using SAK's since the 60's. They have been the source of more conversations than I can remember after pulling one out of my pocket.....especially in the pre-TAS days. But I've also done a lot of survivalist trekking in my younger days. While they attempt to do a lot, the old style, many gizmo folders are not really strong. They may get you by in a pinch, but they're not serious survival tools.....nor were they ever expected to be. Kind of a stop gap thing supposedly issued to Swiss solders.

But the SAK's have evolved and I really do like those bigger/longer folders with the lock button and just a few tools. But then only as a good pocket knife for camping....nothing more. 

The charm of the many themed pocket gizmo folders is undeniable though. And for that reason, I take turns slipping the different models into my pocket depending on my mood. I don't think I've ever been fishing without the Fisherman's model and never been at a ski resort without the black slabbed Snowboarder's model. The rest(I think I have ten other) I just switch up.

I have both Victorinox & Wenger.  Seems like the Wengers are a tad stronger, while the Victorinox are better finished. Now, I've never used their actual tool knives which I believe they manufactured at some point or still do. I can't attest to their strength and general usability. However, when the tool knife subject comes up with fellow blue-collar workers, I never hear SAK's mentioned.

Point of the post is;I have always loved the SAK's....but I baby them because I know of their breakage points. And if I was to have a serious folder for survival trekking, it wouldn't be SAK's. Although I might keep a small one stuffed in a pack somewhere while trekking.

Not trying to cross swords with anyone, but I have been using them for 50yrs so that's my take on SAK's.

Kevin

:twak:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #36 on: January 23, 2021, 01:01:10 AM
I really like the Tinker too, even though it does not have scissors...  :think:

The Climber is not available with wooden scales, it it?

This will lead to sleepless nights  :rofl:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 01:30:31 AM by SirVicaLot »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: January 23, 2021, 01:54:23 AM
I'd go with a Rambler.  The size means they'll carry it without it being a "thing".  The scissors are plenty good enough and the small Phillips screwdriver on the combo tool is a thing you didn't know you needed until you have one.   :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline pipedreams

• Improvisational Engineer
Reply #38 on: January 23, 2021, 02:44:04 AM
I’d go with the Cadet in black. Classiest knife ever.

If he’s not that classy...Climber...the gateway SAK.

:D
-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: January 23, 2021, 03:22:22 AM
For 18 months now, I've gifted nothing but SAKs to newbies...

You'll want to avoid the mistakes I've made...

- steer clear of any Vic fan, Swiss Army Knights favorites.

- Avoid the combo tool, which only a SAK Knight is happy to finagle into use. 

- Avoid Alox, which will annoy the thumbs of any newbie.  They'll drop the hobby faster than a 14 year old will drop a high action, old warped acoustic guitar.

- Avoid 4 layers or more, it's going to be kept "in the car"

- think twice about a Classic or Signature lite... You'll want to watch them attach it to their keyring, otherwise it's going in the drawer.  Even then, the TSA will lay claim to it next summer.

Where does that leave you?

A 2 or 3 layer, 91 mm with a small blade.... Climber, Hiker, and the like

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #40 on: January 23, 2021, 03:34:32 AM
Thanks for your observations, very interesting.  :tu:

I think I will go with a Climber, probably with the Silver Tech scales. I can see him liking those.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #41 on: January 23, 2021, 05:40:20 AM
+1 for the climber. Everything a SAK should be and I think perfect for someone new to them. Compact is great but climber is better value and you get the full opener layer

As discussed the saw on the huntsman might be overkill for someone with lots of saws although for the same reason would be my next choice

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #42 on: January 23, 2021, 06:15:05 AM
Then again the Evo wood handled models would appeal to a woodworker too.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: January 23, 2021, 07:14:44 AM
I vote Tinker or Tinker Small.

While a two-layer SAK seems quite minimal to many of us, the size, weight, and tool selection may be considerable for someone who is used to carrying only a one- or two-blade knife, or no knife/MT at all. 

I personally find the corkscrew more useful than the backside Phillips (and I'm not really into whittling, carving, or woodworking), but I've heard from several folks that the backside Phillips models are more comfortable in hand than the corkscrew models for those activities.

Finally, both of these models are inexpensive, so if the gift ends up largely forgotten in a drawer somewhere as opposed to carried daily, you won't have wasted much money.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #44 on: January 23, 2021, 08:25:29 AM
I started off thinking Huntsman as I read this thread and then as I read added Alox Farmer to that line of thought. Even if you've got a bunch of saws the SAK saw is a very impressive tool.

The Climber in Silvertech though is an excellent and often overlooked choice - hiding in plain sight. But do make sure you add a small screwdriver to the corkscrew. The design cleverness of that should appeal to an architect.

But as a gateway SAK I think it's hard to be beat a Tinker Small. I'm a great fan of the 84mm series and the Tinker covers a lot of ground and is a bit more comfortable in the hand as Nate j says.

Whatever SAK it's a very generous gesture. What a great ides  :cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

Offline nolongerlurking27

Reply #45 on: January 23, 2021, 12:20:47 PM
Just My 2pence worth

I would suggest something inthe 58 mm line. This is based on the following:

You metioned that he was an architect which would suggest at least some time dressed in "office" clothes. Therefore I am thinking of something light and usable in an office that is not going to cause heart attacks when he uses it.
However you also said that he is very handy and does would working etc. I am going to guess from this that he probably has a fairly decent set of "proper" tools. If that is a case then the SAK is unlikely to be used if he ever has a better tool to hand. I think that we on this forum use SAKs often because we enjoy using them even though there is often an alternative. If he is not a knife person then he will likely pull out a proper wood saw when he is doing wood butchering rather then his trusty huntsman.
If he has never carried  any kind of multitool or knife before then it is an easy starter for him. Some thing that he can slip on his keys and use if and when he needs it.
I agree with Elvenblade's point about the risk of it ending up in a draw but that is also a risk of any SAK doing that if it does not suit his needs.
He may not trust the durability of a SAK and therefore not want to risk damaging it, a classic is fairly inexpensive so he maybe more tempted to test it. When he has seen what a classic  can do then he will be wanting to get another SAK.
I would maybe look at either the lite or signiture lite models as well as the addition of a small led light might encourage him to use carry it more.
PS the different scale designs are nice however on keys they do tend to come of after a while. I just spent 16 quid and added a little more bulk to my keys by getting a case so I can carry my two special edition classics.

mk Offline Deedee

Reply #46 on: January 23, 2021, 07:11:13 PM
My suggestion for a first SAK will always be HUNTSMAN  :cheers:

bg Offline DavisNikolov

Reply #47 on: January 23, 2021, 07:24:05 PM
For someone that hasn't carried anything around I would choose an 84 or 91mm with 2 layers of tools (or maximum 3). I just don't see such person carrying around a 6 layer handyman or a swiss champ. They might admire the bigger tool, then put it in a drawer and let it collect dust. My personal choices would be from Recruit, Spartan/Sportsman/Tourist or Climber/Super Tinker.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #48 on: January 23, 2021, 09:30:14 PM
I forgot about the 84mm Tinker. Or a Sportsman. That might be something to consider too  :think:

Well, I still have some weeks to decide, so enough time to think about it over and over, pick a different one, and then go with my first decision anyway  :rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: January 23, 2021, 11:49:25 PM
I think a Climber would actually make a very nice first SAK.  The Super Tinker is a very close second as I think it over a bit.  Good luck. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Altis

Reply #50 on: January 24, 2021, 03:19:53 AM
I'd definitely advise Super Tinker over Climber for new users -- the corkscrew is an acquired taste (read: considered useless by most). I find Phillips screws to frequently be recessed (on electronics especially).

Tinker Small is another great one. I agree with the others that scissors are a must for a newbie as they're easily one of the most practical tools.

My vote is for Super Tinker. It's the one I gave my other half as her main SAK. Manager is another great one to have, easy to carry and travel with, and a woodworker might appreciate a spare pen (the only one-hand deployable tool on it  :D ) -- also probably more likely to be carried regularly. Even Classic SD Alox is great as it can be tucked in a wallet.

It's tough to recommend just one when I can hardly choose from about 20 on any given day.  :whistle: :rofl:

us Offline Real1

Reply #51 on: January 24, 2021, 05:28:50 AM
:twak:

Thanks for the 'friendly' response. :pok:

Kevin

ca Offline Altis

Reply #52 on: January 24, 2021, 08:41:19 AM

Thanks for the 'friendly' response. :pok:

Kevin

You got the toilet plunger of love   :cheers:

Interesting reading your take with your experience. I certainly recognize the limits of the SAK, though I find the 93mm alox to be considerably more durable. I think 99% of their use does not lie within a survival situation, but also think they can be very useful in that place if it's all you have (and you may be more likely to have it than a large fixed-blade, if it's an unexpected emergency situation).

Before you think I'm getting off-topic, a Farmer X is absolutely a great gift as well. Though perhaps not as iconic as the red cellidor models, they have a great tool set and durability you just don't get with the cellidor. I've given 3 now as gifts and of all my ~25 unique SAK models, it's probably my favourite. Great EDC, great outdoors, lasts forever, and a bit special.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: January 24, 2021, 04:28:05 PM
I'd definitely advise Super Tinker over Climber for new users -- the corkscrew is an acquired taste (read: considered useless by most). I find Phillips screws to frequently be recessed (on electronics especially).

Tinker Small is another great one. I agree with the others that scissors are a must for a newbie as they're easily one of the most practical tools.

My vote is for Super Tinker. It's the one I gave my other half as her main SAK. Manager is another great one to have, easy to carry and travel with, and a woodworker might appreciate a spare pen (the only one-hand deployable tool on it  :D ) -- also probably more likely to be carried regularly. Even Classic SD Alox is great as it can be tucked in a wallet.

It's tough to recommend just one when I can hardly choose from about 20 on any given day.  :whistle: :rofl:

Another good point.  I agree that the corkscrew is an acquired taste.  For anyone who hasn't yet dipped a toe into the rabbit hole... Even if they drink wine (and thus have become used to using a corkscrew with a lever arm... A first experience with a SAK corkscrew will result in a bent tool and the whole contraption will be left in a drawer. 

bg Offline DavisNikolov

Reply #54 on: January 24, 2021, 04:49:21 PM
Some thoughts on the corkscrew - I like it better when the backside tools are recessed. And it that regard the Philips driver is much better, the screw sticks out. And in my day to day life I need a screwdriver much more often than cork screw. But when I go to a party of any sort, be it at someone’s home or guesthouse or cabin I almost always put a sak with a corkscrew in my pocket. It’s pretty much the most socially acceptable tool I’ve got (I’ve been asked with raised eyebrows by my brother in law why I carry THAT KNIFE, referring to the Wave) and has saved the day quite often on such celebrations - people just amuse me how they buy wine but don’t bother to check if they have a screw. Add to that the small screwdriver you can put in it and the corkscrew gets a lot more desirable.

za Offline BobbyRsa

Reply #55 on: January 24, 2021, 05:26:12 PM
Thanks for your observations, very interesting.  :tu:

I think I will go with a Climber, probably with the Silver Tech scales. I can see him liking those.

+1 for the climber. It was the sak that made me fall in love with Victorinox's other boys. Just very well balanced for everyday use and travel

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: January 24, 2021, 05:27:38 PM
SVL, there are so many good advices, I don't know how by me adding 2 more cents will make it easier, but here are some thoughts  :D

1) Corkscrew vs backside philips--is your friend a wine drinker at all?  Surely, corkscrew has many use further than just wine opening, but corkscrew for a wine drinker just makes whole lot of sense.

2) I agree a 2-3 layers probably is good for a SAK 'virgin', it's easy to carry.  I like the idea of Compact, but since he is a woodworker, he may appreciate the small blade which is really handy for wood carving.

3) Whatever you choose, please do also think about the plus scale.  The pen could come in handy for woodwork, and please do show him the use of corkscrew mini-driver, pin and the tweezer.  Those little tools always come in handy in most unimaginable ways.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: January 24, 2021, 05:45:31 PM
A couple of ideas:
The SAK I've had the most use for while doing some light woodworking is the Electrician; having an awl at hand is great for starting holes and the small blade works great as a marking knife.
The other model I would suggest is either a Sportsman or a Cadet, small simple knives that fits easily in a pocket and doesn't double up on any function. I just wish they had a SportsCadet with the slim shape of the cadet but with back tools.

us Offline Real1

Reply #58 on: January 24, 2021, 05:57:49 PM
You got the toilet plunger of love   :cheers:

Interesting reading your take with your experience. I certainly recognize the limits of the SAK, though I find the 93mm alox to be considerably more durable. I think 99% of their use does not lie within a survival situation, but also think they can be very useful in that place if it's all you have (and you may be more likely to have it than a large fixed-blade, if it's an unexpected emergency situation).

Before you think I'm getting off-topic, a Farmer X is absolutely a great gift as well. Though perhaps not as iconic as the red cellidor models, they have a great tool set and durability you just don't get with the cellidor. I've given 3 now as gifts and of all my ~25 unique SAK models, it's probably my favourite. Great EDC, great outdoors, lasts forever, and a bit special.

I'm all in for trying something like the ALOX. But is it just the metal slabs or is it really inherently stronger?

I just think that most of the SAK's wind up more in the hands of suits and pencil necks, than actual working situations. Like Seinfeld would say,"Not that there's anything wrong with that." The first one I ever saw was at camp when I was about 8....I thought at the time, it was the coolest thing in the world. That kind of experience tends to stick with you and so I always had SAK's. But after some notable safety/construction failures early on, I realized their limitations.

As I mentioned earlier, I like the longer lock blades with the push button and the sort of grippy slabs....though the blade locks, it's not rock-solid. There are a lot of makers out there with rock-solid folders to use in survival situations and I've used them that way. True, the fixed blade is more adaptable to those situations, but no reason not to consider a well designed/safe folder as well.

Kevin

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: January 24, 2021, 08:35:34 PM

I'm all in for trying something like the ALOX. But is it just the metal slabs or is it really inherently stronger?

I just think that most of the SAK's wind up more in the hands of suits and pencil necks, than actual working situations. Like Seinfeld would say,"Not that there's anything wrong with that." The first one I ever saw was at camp when I was about 8....I thought at the time, it was the coolest thing in the world. That kind of experience tends to stick with you and so I always had SAK's. But after some notable safety/construction failures early on, I realized their limitations.

As I mentioned earlier, I like the longer lock blades with the push button and the sort of grippy slabs....though the blade locks, it's not rock-solid. There are a lot of makers out there with rock-solid folders to use in survival situations and I've used them that way. True, the fixed blade is more adaptable to those situations, but no reason not to consider a well designed/safe folder as well.

Kevin

The blade is a tad bit longer (just a few mm or 1/8 of an inch or so) but the tools are a bit thicker and the pins are thicker as well.
As for survival uses, I have successfully batoned a 91mm knife through some (straight-grained birch) firewood. Was it the right knife for the job, no, very much not, but they can take a lot of abuse for a small cheap knife (there's a thread about abusing a Huntsman (?) at a construction site that ended up with the knife surviving things it really shouldn't have). I don't think I've ever damaged a SAK in any significant way but I guess that comes down to, as you say, realising the limitations of the tool.

Edit: Jothra's The 30 Day Victorinox Huntsman Challenge! is the thread I was thinking of. A bit of a classic on the forum.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:51:51 PM by Fortytwo »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD