Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Interesting Article on new Knife Steel - CPM MagnaCut

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Found this interesting website/blog that talks about knife steels. It is very scientific, so I did not get everything, but it was still very interesting and fascinating  :cheers:

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/03/25/cpm-magnacut/

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Interesting Article on new Knife Steel - CPM MagnaCut
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 05:25:11 AM
Thats a great site for some detailed information.   :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline RF52

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 07:09:37 AM
Larrin Thomas, the owner and writer of that site guested the mark of the maker podcast, haven't finished listening to it but it should be interesting :tu:

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 01:55:16 AM
Will have to listen to that one. Always like to listen to podcasts on long drives  :tu:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 02:50:21 PM
I know this side and spent a couple of hours on it already. But I did miss this one  :o

Thanks a lot Sir for letting us know  :hatsoff:
An excellent read. I hope there will be some Buck 112/110 coming out with CPM Magnacut  :ahhh

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 03:20:46 PM
AAAHHHH, more of that new steel of the month crappola!  >:(

Just gimme that old time obsidian, it worked for 50,000 years with no problem. Our neanderthal great grandaddies skinned out mastodons with the stuff. And don't give me that knock off flint or chert stuff either!!!! :pok:

:whistle:

Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 03:21:50 PM
 :D
Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #8 on: May 09, 2021, 01:25:34 AM
AAAHHHH, more of that new steel of the month crappola!  >:(

Just gimme that old time obsidian, it worked for 50,000 years with no problem. Our neanderthal great grandaddies skinned out mastodons with the stuff. And don't give me that knock off flint or chert stuff either!!!! :pok:

:whistle:

Don't mind me while i take care of this Neanderthal...

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: May 09, 2021, 03:54:33 PM
If any of you haven't taken the time to read this mans bio, please do.  This guy is the real deal.  He is not just adding another steel to the plethora of steels just because.  He's offering something up that fills a gap for those who do love steel specifically made for knives.  This guy is the real deal.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 09, 2021, 06:09:13 PM
If any of you haven't taken the time to read this mans bio, please do.  This guy is the real deal.  He is not just adding another steel to the plethora of steels just because.  He's offering something up that fills a gap for those who do love steel specifically made for knives.  This guy is the real deal.   

I have no doubt that he's the real deal. But over a lifetime of experience, and my knife nut addiction, I've become very very cynical about it all. Theres always the 'new and improved' coming around the corner. I've seen it in the knife field, the gun field, the motorcycle field, the automobile field, the cookware field...

I guess my role as the curmudgeonly septuagenerian is secure. I'm skeptical of everyone and almost everything these days of the 'new and improved' whatever. Looking back on my knife obsession all the way back to when I was a kid, it was a big deal in the 1950's when they actually started to put stainless steel in a knife that was actually worth a s---!.

I can only wonder how many obsessed knife nuts can actually tell a difference day to day  between wonder steel number one and wonder steel number 2 if the knife is unmarked? But it's a very good excuse to get a little bit more money out of the consumer. "Ohh, this was years in the research and development, and we have a lot of money tied up in bringing this our, so we need to raise the price a bit..."

Signed; the cynical Curmudgeon.  :rant:

Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 04:14:35 PM
I have no doubt that he's the real deal. But over a lifetime of experience, and my knife nut addiction, I've become very very cynical about it all. Theres always the 'new and improved' coming around the corner. I've seen it in the knife field, the gun field, the motorcycle field, the automobile field, the cookware field...

I guess my role as the curmudgeonly septuagenerian is secure. I'm skeptical of everyone and almost everything these days of the 'new and improved' whatever. Looking back on my knife obsession all the way back to when I was a kid, it was a big deal in the 1950's when they actually started to put stainless steel in a knife that was actually worth a s---!.

I can only wonder how many obsessed knife nuts can actually tell a difference day to day  between wonder steel number one and wonder steel number 2 if the knife is unmarked? But it's a very good excuse to get a little bit more money out of the consumer. "Ohh, this was years in the research and development, and we have a lot of money tied up in bringing this our, so we need to raise the price a bit..."

Signed; the cynical Curmudgeon.  :rant:

As someone who read Dr. Thomas's book and put notes in it, I agree on your premise. New steels are mostly interesting for steel-snobs and steel-nerds and marketing greatly overstates their value. BUT CPM-MagnaCut is interesting for everyone for two reasons.

- It was designed/modeled/predicted using a computer and the result matched the prediction very well. This is great news as it makes future developments of steels easier (and potentially cheaper).
- It is easy to machine, so contrary to your prediction, knives in MagnaCut should be cheaper as the steel is easy to work with. That of course only comes through once the steel is produced in larger quantities.

The steel itself of course is also interesting and has to be the potential to replace many non-stainless steels in outdoor knives. But that remains to be seen.

Of course for the nerds there is more interesting stuff
- small grain structure, who needs a centre-fold if you can have a micrograph of CPM-MaganCut  :drool: ::) :P
- you don't need more chromium to achieve stainlessness, you need chromium that is not bound in carbites. By preventing (reducing) the formation of chromium-carbites stainlessness can be achieved with lower chromium content.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 04:19:54 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 09:40:26 PM
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: June 09, 2021, 04:17:38 PM
 :like:
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00