Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Go BIG Challenge

Nix · 2083 · 55119

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: The Go BIG Challenge
Reply #1950 on: September 29, 2021, 08:16:56 PM
Day 60

Wow - what a challenge, thanks Nix!

The Swiss Champ is my favourite SAK and this challenge just reconfirmed my preference. The 60 days seems to have has gone by so quickly and the SC has been my faithful carry every day. A few tools were not used, like the back chisel and back flat driver, and I can't remember using the magnifier, but the rest of the tool load all saw use, and even the universal scaler was called into action on several occasions.  :D

I really see no reason to switch out to another SAK until the Chuck Yeager challenge, so I'll probably continue with the SC as my EDC, maybe picking something else from time to time, occasion dependent.

I think I could push to an XLT for occasional carry, but I can't say there are any of the extra tools that I'd really need. And while I tried the XAVT for a weekend  ::), this was a layer too far and really is too large to carry.

So the Swiss Champ comes out tops in my opinion, and it was a real pleasure carrying it and sharing in all the fun of this challenge - go BIG or go home!  :cheers:

Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #1951 on: September 29, 2021, 09:27:57 PM
Day 60/60

Ladies and gentlemen,

as awlways it was an honor to do this challenge with you. We had much fun and got to know our tools better.

I'll be downsizing back to the XLT. The XXL is to big for EDC (but it's pretty perfect for playing around).

See you next challenge!

Here a family picture:
IMG_20210929_173731-01.jpeg
* IMG_20210929_173731-01.jpeg (Filesize: 160.67 KB)

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #1952 on: September 29, 2021, 11:48:26 PM
I have been watching from the sidelines and it has been a real treat to follow this challenge

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1953 on: September 30, 2021, 12:02:11 AM
Well done and congratulations to awl who have completed this challenge.   :hatsoff:

I have to say that this challenge was a lot more fun than I expected....and I expected it to be fun. Periodically during the challenge I've mouthed off about how great the Swiss Champ has been. And nothing has changed for me in the last few days. I think it earns its name: Swiss Champ.

To be balanced, I'll say that I didn't use all the tools. Partly that was because I was just less active over the last couple months for various reasons, wildfire smoke most of awl. And partly because I just don't nee a small chisel that often (though I'm surprised that no occasion to use that little tool presented itself over two months.). Nevertheless, there is something fun about having the extra tools along in the course of the day.

Thanks to everyone for making the challenge so much fun and keeping the challenge moving forward. It might have been easy to become stagnant, but I didn't see that. So kudos to all for keep the thing up and running.

I'll be carrying the S'champ tomorrow, but October sees me in the Delemont challenge. I confess I'll be a little sad to put the old Warthog away for October.....  :cry:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1954 on: September 30, 2021, 12:06:40 AM
Day 60 of 60:

I did get the Champ out for a bit of grouse hunting today. The air was fresh and temps were mild, so it was nigh impossible not to get out.

Bit of posing on a fallen tree.....

Back at home, had to dress out dinner.... No, not grouse........tofu......

Obviously I need some hunting lessons from Jackpine......

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #1955 on: September 30, 2021, 01:26:07 AM
Well done and congratulations to awl who have completed this challenge.   :hatsoff:

I have to say that this challenge was a lot more fun than I expected....and I expected it to be fun. Periodically during the challenge I've mouthed off about how great the Swiss Champ has been. And nothing has changed for me in the last few days. I think it earns its name: Swiss Champ.

To be balanced, I'll say that I didn't use all the tools. Partly that was because I was just less active over the last couple months for various reasons, wildfire smoke most of awl. And partly because I just don't nee a small chisel that often (though I'm surprised that no occasion to use that little tool presented itself over two months.). Nevertheless, there is something fun about having the extra tools along in the course of the day.

Thanks to everyone for making the challenge so much fun and keeping the challenge moving forward. It might have been easy to become stagnant, but I didn't see that. So kudos to all for keep the thing up and running.

I'll be carrying the S'champ tomorrow, but October sees me in the Delemont challenge. I confess I'll be a little sad to put the old Warthog away for October.....  :cry:
   :salute:   :tu:    :cheers:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #1956 on: September 30, 2021, 06:56:57 AM
Day 29 of 30 (Stack Challenge)

I tried the awl as a package opener today. It cut surprisingly well. But a little awkward to hold and it kept wanting to bend back past 90 degrees.

It might be time to start thinking about grinding a hook blade into the can opener on the Champ, like I did on my Evolution S557.  :think:
2021-09-29 20.34.20.jpg
* 2021-09-29 20.34.20.jpg (Filesize: 443.24 KB)
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #1957 on: September 30, 2021, 08:15:09 AM
Congratulations to all completed this marathon challenge - it’s been a great read from the sidelines! :cheers:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1958 on: September 30, 2021, 08:43:08 AM

Nevertheless, there is something fun about having the extra tools along in the course of the day.

:iagree: :like:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1959 on: September 30, 2021, 08:45:35 AM
Day 60 of 60:

I did get the Champ out for a bit of grouse hunting today. The air was fresh and temps were mild, so it was nigh impossible not to get out.

(Image removed from quote.)

Bit of posing on a fallen tree.....

Back at home, had to dress out dinner.... No, not grouse........tofu......

Obviously I need some hunting lessons from Jackpine......

Beautiful pictures! Glad you were able to get out  :tu:
I would love to go for a hike there Jack  :like: :like:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1960 on: September 30, 2021, 08:47:51 AM
Congratulations to all completed this marathon challenge - it’s been a great read from the sidelines! :cheers:

:cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1961 on: September 30, 2021, 01:16:35 PM
 :cheers:
Barry

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #1962 on: September 30, 2021, 01:33:58 PM
Day 61/61

Great challenge, thanks Nix!

This was my first challenge and it flew by. It was great to see all of the tasks you awl completed with the universal scaler!

As for the swisschamp, I have been carrying one on and off since 1987 and still think it's awesome. During this challenge I used every tool. It's not always the best tool for the job, but it gets the job done. It gives me the ability to solve problems on the move and continue the days mission. Sometimes with only a temporary fix, but that's ok with me. The quality of the swisschamp is outstanding and it includes almost the perfect selection of tools I require most days.
I mostly use a Zermatt sheath or a suspension clip, both are no problem. If I had to choose only one multi tool it would still be the SwissChamp.

I was thinking about getting in on the Delemont challenge for October, but I don't know if I can make it a month without carrying the Champ. Especially since duck season opens on the second
 :salute: :cheers: :hatsoff:
KIMG1238.JPG
* KIMG1238.JPG (Filesize: 312.17 KB)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 02:01:04 PM by Jackpine54 »

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #1963 on: September 30, 2021, 06:39:48 PM
Day 61/61
This has proved to be a most Unexpected Challenge. Thank you Nix for pushing the Challenge envelope in a way which has been really interesting and unexpected in at least two ways.

1. I reckoned I would struggle to spend 60 days with one choice of SAK. Wrong. It was effortless and thoroughly enjoyable.  :think:
2. The Universal Scaler was way more versatile in the Challenge than I expected. This was a very pleasant surprise because I have a completely illogical soft spot for the fish scaler. :dd:

and no less unexpectedly a lot of you have commented on the fact that you don't feel a great need to swap out. Me neither. I will ... but this is simply down to a personal wish to carry another SAK I haven't carried in a while. It isn't need and it won't be as versatile. :dunno:

So, Nix, thank you for a thoroughly enjoyable and Unexpected challenge !  :cheers:
IMG_0275.jpeg
* IMG_0275.jpeg (Filesize: 179.98 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1964 on: September 30, 2021, 06:44:58 PM
Well stated, Fast Bill.   :tu:

Thanks to y'awl for a great challenge.   :hatsoff:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #1965 on: September 30, 2021, 06:46:23 PM
Was there a badge by the way Nix?
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1966 on: September 30, 2021, 06:56:13 PM
Yes! Yes there is. I requested mine yesterday.  60 Day Stacked (right next to 30 day stacked on my viewer.).

Thanks to Whoey and Steve for leading that project!   :clap:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #1967 on: September 30, 2021, 07:01:31 PM
Thanks Nix - and thanks Whoey and Steve  :cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #1968 on: September 30, 2021, 09:15:37 PM
As the final day of September, tomorrow ticks over to a new quarter and a time to look forward to new challenges.

This has been such a great thread, I hope we can all revisit it from time-to-time with an odd SC posting.  :tu:

Thanks again Nix for the great challenge - onward to the next!  :cheers:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1969 on: September 30, 2021, 09:39:43 PM
Day 61 of 60:

The Swiss Champ helping a wee little Fieldmaster change its pants:

New scales courtesy of a Def GAW.  :tu:

us Offline TonySal

Reply #1970 on: September 30, 2021, 10:56:55 PM
As the final day of September, tomorrow ticks over to a new quarter and a time to look forward to new challenges.

This has been such a great thread, I hope we can all revisit it from time-to-time with an odd SC posting.  :tu:

Thanks again Nix for the great challenge - onward to the next!  :cheers:
   :salute:   :tu:    :cheers:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #1971 on: September 30, 2021, 11:03:51 PM
Loved reading everyone's impressions of the Swiss Champ and there sure were a lot of great pictures.  The last few pages have put an idea in my head for another photo thread.  Anyone for SAKs and archery equipment?  Assuming it hasn't already been done. :cheers:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1972 on: September 30, 2021, 11:06:45 PM
Day 61 of 60:

The Swiss Champ helping a wee little Fieldmaster change its pants:

New scales courtesy of a Def GAW.  :tu:

:like:

us Offline TonySal

Reply #1973 on: September 30, 2021, 11:31:09 PM
Loved reading everyone's impressions of the Swiss Champ and there sure were a lot of great pictures.  The last few pages have put an idea in my head for another photo thread.  Anyone for SAKs and archery equipment?  Assuming it hasn't already been done. :cheers:
...SAKs & Archery...why not!
join KNIFE RIGHTS

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #1974 on: October 01, 2021, 12:28:19 AM
...SAKs & Archery...why not!

Why do I have to think about arrows which have some tools on them? Let's call them troubleshooters.  :facepalm:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1975 on: October 01, 2021, 12:46:37 AM
Day 61 of 60 (bonus food prep shot):

Yes....as the sun sinks on the last day of the challenge, more food prep......   :rofl:

us Offline TonySal

Reply #1976 on: October 01, 2021, 12:50:06 AM
Just saw a emergency bike air pump on Ama.  The video to attach the bracket to the bike frame was....guess...a Blackie Swiss Champ!
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1977 on: October 01, 2021, 12:53:49 AM
 :like:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1978 on: October 01, 2021, 01:00:39 AM
Cool  :like:

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #1979 on: October 01, 2021, 01:10:10 AM
Hey, I know you had to put up with too many goose related pictures this month. The least I can do is show you the finished product. Wish I could give you awl some to try. Those early mornings are worth awl the trouble!
KIMG1240.JPG
* KIMG1240.JPG (Filesize: 169.58 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21