Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking into ABCs help appreciated!

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Looking into ABCs help appreciated!
on: June 22, 2021, 08:24:54 PM
So I'm looking into a watch for my birthday next month and whilst there's dressier watches on my list I wanted to try out an ABC watch because they're just fun. So far the Suunto Core all black and Traverse Alpha are what interest me.

In general I'm trying to stay out of smart watch territory, I've had them and don't want another so nothing that you can upload apps to, browse the internet, display images etc. (part of the appeal of the Suunto's matrix screen). So some questions?

- If anyone has either watch what do you think of them and how do they hold up to daily wear?

-What's the extent and limitation of the Traverse Alpha's phone connectivity and is it necessary?

- Have you found the sensors to be accurate in these watches in particular?

-Is the UI intuitive once accustomed to it?

-Are they both spring bar connected straps capable of swapping out with something like a leather strap?

-Best place to buy from in the UK? Amazon has them but I've never actually bought my own watch as an adult besides smart watches.

Thanks in advance MTOers  :salute:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Looking into ABCs help appreciated!
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 11:03:05 AM
I'm a bit of an ABC watch enthusiast and I've shared my experience with some of them on this forum in the past.

One of these posts can be found here.

If you had a look at the topic mentioned above, you'll know what I think of the Suunto Core, I will just add that, since writing that "review", I ordered some NATO (or are they Zulu?) straps and adapters for the Suunto Core via Wish.

You can order them via Suunto, but for the price of one strap with adaptors from them, I got 3 pair of both of them from Wish (and still spend less than I would've if I bought the one from Suunto).

I fitted the NATO adaptor on my regular Suunto Core without any issues.   I did notice that the watch is quite a bit thicker on the wrist, since the NATO-adaptors are pushed completely vertical by the thickness of the NATO strap.

I'll try to take some pics and post them here.

I also got myself a Garmin Instinct Solar (the Tactical version) about 3 weeks ago, and I must say that it's becoming one of my favorites.  Maybe I'll add a review of it in the other topic as well.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 03:35:18 PM
 :salute: I was hoping TG24 would chime in.  Glad you did friend. 

Esse Quam Videri

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 05:42:45 PM
:salute: I was hoping TG24 would chime in.  Glad you did friend.

Happy to help mate  :cheers:.

I'm not as "active" here as I once was (active being very relative, seeing my post count vs the years I've been here  ::)), but when I see the words "ABC watch" popping up, I just have to drop in and say hello 😉.

To be honest,  my watch addiction has taken over first place from my tools/SAKs addiction again for some months now, and I'm not even going to mention how many guitars I've bought since beginning of 2020  ::).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 05:50:07 PM
Always happy to see you post.  I feel our hobbies tend to fluctuate over time.  My MT hobby is all but over for the most part.  While I will use them everyday my collection has remained stagnant.  I no longer go to the flea market to hunt them and when I do see them I tend to pass them up.  I've been more into traditional folder as of late. 

Guitars, watches both sound fun to me.  All my best to you and your family. 
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 06:23:22 PM
Oh wow those posts were very very helpful thank you very much TG!

One of my concerns about an ABC watch was how it would wear but it looks great on your wrist (and flipped the missus' opinion from 'you like it and that's important' to 'oh wow that looks niceee!')

I'm currently leaning toward getting the Suunto Core All Black (which for some reason is £50 cheaper than the standard  ::) ) which frees up budget to get the Casio Duro at the same time as a more dressy/conventional watch.

Is the Core a standard band springbar arrangement? I was considering trying it out on leather at some point too.

If I like the Core then maybe in a year or something I'll look to getting the Traverse Alpha as a higher end option, then there's Casio Oceanus I've had my eye on. Why must all these hobbies be such slippery slopes  :facepalm:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 06:38:05 PM
Glad I could help  :salute:.

The Core is a beautiful watch, the all black one is the prettiest,  but the one with the regular display has better readability (as expected).

The Core does not use spring bars, the strap is attached to the watch with a spring bar look-alike bar, that has screws on each side, and when you unscrew them, you'll notice that the bar is actually made of two pieces that screw together.

I can't explain it really well, I will try to take some pics and post them here.

I can say that the standard watch strap it comes with is very comfortable, I just wanted NATO adaptors for it, in case the original strap breaks and a replacement strap might not be available anymore by then.

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 05:39:43 AM
Glad I could help  :salute:.

The Core is a beautiful watch, the all black one is the prettiest,  but the one with the regular display has better readability (as expected).

The Core does not use spring bars, the strap is attached to the watch with a spring bar look-alike bar, that has screws on each side, and when you unscrew them, you'll notice that the bar is actually made of two pieces that screw together.

I can't explain it really well, I will try to take some pics and post them here.

I can say that the standard watch strap it comes with is very comfortable, I just wanted NATO adaptors for it, in case the original strap breaks and a replacement strap might not be available anymore by then.

Ahh I think I understand adn from a googling it looks like the Nato adapter dives you some fixed lugs to pass the strap through, do you know if it's possible to use normal straps?

I like the look of the stock strap, I just like to know my options  :dunno:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 11:08:16 PM
Here are some pics of the NATO adaptors.

The NATO (or is it a Zulu strap :shrug:) is quite stiff, so it forces the adaptors to sit very up-right, pushing the Core up,  making it a bulky watch.

I was hoping I could screw the adaptors tight so they would stay in the position shown in the first pic,  but I haven't found a way to do so (yet).

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 01:46:08 AM
Always happy to see you post.  I feel our hobbies tend to fluctuate over time.  My MT hobby is all but over for the most part.  While I will use them everyday my collection has remained stagnant.  I no longer go to the flea market to hunt them and when I do see them I tend to pass them up.  I've been more into traditional folder as of late. 

Guitars, watches both sound fun to me.  All my best to you and your family.

My apologies for the late reply, I somehow missed your post while posting here myself...

I will still have a look at the local online used gear site to check if there are any interesting SAKs or Leatherman tools on there, but only from time to time, not on a daily base anymore,  as I used to.

Traditional folders you say, now that's also a great idea for a collection  :tu:.

(note to myself, no,  don't even think about it  :twak:)

;)

All my best to you and your family as well my friend, stay safe  :cheers:.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%