Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GEC Releases

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
GEC Releases
on: October 30, 2021, 06:36:29 PM
Hey folks! Hope everyone is doing well. I have had 2 GECs in my life. One #48 that is my favorite knife, and one beautiful stag lockback (think buck 110 size) that I loved but gave away to a friend on my wedding day. I would like to add a barlow or possibly another lockback to the collection. Does GEC follow a pattern with how often they release knives? I know you can see the next 3 on their website, but not any farther into the future. Just want to make sure I’m ready when a model comes around that I like. Thanks for your help!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: GEC Releases
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 06:52:55 PM
No real pattern although once a knife makes the cover on their webpage they are usually shipping to dealers. Knives sell out within minutes these days when they drop on dealers sites so there is a lot of competition these days. Sign up for email alerts for as many dealers as you can. There is always eBay but the prices are high.  They just did a Barlow and not long since a lockback so it will probably be a while before they do another run of either.

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 10:27:06 PM

No real pattern although once a knife makes the cover on their webpage they are usually shipping to dealers. Knives sell out within minutes these days when they drop on dealers sites so there is a lot of competition these days. Sign up for email alerts for as many dealers as you can. There is always eBay but the prices are high.  They just did a Barlow and not long since a lockback so it will probably be a while before they do another run of either.

This x10  :iagree:

Sign up with every dealer and stay on top of those emails whenever a new one drops. Any delay will mean missing out, knives sometimes literally sell out within seconds.
When the most recent Waynorth Barlows dropped one dealer had you solve a sort of riddle to even find the buy page. Competition is fierce  :ahhh

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 02:29:11 AM
GEC drops    :whistle:    well..................... :ahhh   As the dealer who has gotten numerous knives for me in the past told me " you have four or five thousand guys trying to get four hundred knives". Steve has given good advice follow it and I hope you can score some GEC's.     :tu:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 11:22:39 AM
As pointed out most releases, in the past two years mainly, are sold out quickly.

However, some models stay for longer, like the keychain and fruit knife models. These are still available at one, slightly expensive, dealer. The Remington model is also still available in a few places, fixed price, made by GEC.

You may also ask if anybody has what you want.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline David

Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 05:04:57 PM
In the fog of war surrounding the acquisition of a GEC in todays enviroment. It helps to have a secert weapon.    :D
Hold Fast

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 05:08:46 PM

us Online Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 05:29:36 PM
This explains a lot.  I found a GEC knife that had the exact blade combination that I wanted, but they were sold out everywhere.  The only place I could find them was on ebay for about 3 times list price.  I don't mind paying a premium for discontinued knives and multitools, but I don't like supporting resellers who deliberately buy out all inventory to resell at a much higher price.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 05:56:08 PM
Cocobolo Pony Jack will be released monday at 4 pm CST.

https://tsaknives.com/shop/ols/categories/great-eastern-cutlery?page=1&sortOption=descend_by_created_at

Ι used to buy a lot from him, but following a change of ownership, and the various GEC related events of the past years he now sells at about 50 to 100% higher than most dealers, thus he usually has more stock, as people will only buy from him as a last resort.  The Remington is sold at msrp.
(fixed)

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 06:58:23 PM
I've never bought anything from them but their drop usually falls farther under the radar than some others. The announcement is usually at the bottom of another message.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 02, 2021, 02:12:32 AM
Interesting how the demand has shot up. When I bought the #48, I’m pretty sure I pondered it for a couple of hours if not a day or so beforehand and it sat in stock. I guess the cat got let out of the bag about GEC. Thanks for the insight fellas.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 08:28:29 AM
We used to ponder for months a few years ago.

Even many TC models (SFOs) used to sit in shops for some time.

us Offline David

Reply #12 on: November 02, 2021, 11:36:03 AM
I remember those days. My how things have changed in the last year and a half or two.    :ahhh.   :D
Hold Fast

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 12:59:39 PM
Pony jacks were available for almost 6 hours on TSA, they were priced about the same as a couple of other dealers who had them priced about $35 higher than some others.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 02:52:00 PM
The pony jacks didn’t do it for me personally. For the money GECs go for, I’ll just wait until something I really like comes along. On the multi blade models I tend to like one of them to be straight edged like a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%