Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Potential Leatherman Style PS mod...feasible or not?

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
In looking for a multi-tool to add to my paracord tools, I'd want pliers, scissors, a blade, and very little else. A Leatherman Style PS almost fills that bill; all it's lacking is the blade. In theory, this seems like a very simple mod: disassemble, remove file, install blade, reassemble. However, in practice, there are things to consider: what blade to use, would it need to be re-profiled, is the nail nick on the side opposite of where it should be, are any other parts needed, and probably others. Is this mod feasible, or should I move onto my Plan B?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 05:05:44 AM by Farmer X »
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: Potential Leatherman Style PD mod...feasible or not?
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 05:08:04 AM
In looking for a multi-tool to add to my paracord tools, I'd want pliers, scissors, a blade, and very little else. A Leatherman Style PS almost fills that bill; all it's lacking is the blade. In theory, this seems like a very simple mod: disassemble, remove file, install blade, reassemble. However, in practice, there are things to consider: what blade to use, would it need to be re-profiled, is the nail nick on the side opposite of where it should be, are any other parts needed, and probably others. Is this mod feasible, or should I move onto my Plan B?

Good news…I see at least a few ways to get this done.
Bad news…none of these suggestions are pure drop-in.

The one I’d probably do is put a Squirt blade where the scissor is and mod the plastic part to fit over the scissors. Lose the toothpick. Or make a CF plate to cover the scissors. Or one made from a donor Style frame. Nicks will all work as is. Space blade as needed or make liner lock.

The closest to a drop-in solution would be to mod a Squirt blade to fit the file slot exactly. Mill tang ~0.25mm regrind and reprofile blade to fit. Add nail nick.

I believe (not 100% sure) a 91mm small drop point blade could be modified like above to fit.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: Potential Leatherman Style PS mod...feasible or not?
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 05:22:26 AM
Two possible alignments if using the 91mm Vic small blade.

Second pic doesn’t show it well, but the tang of the Vic blade is taller than the Leatherman file tang (~8.4mm vs. ~8.3mm) so there’s room to cut the Vic tang down.

Hope that all helps!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 05:46:22 AM by kamakiri »
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Offline Trebor Redins

Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 07:17:12 AM
What you're wanting to do is definitely possible, and while reprofiling the 91 mm blade would work, there might be an easier way to get what you're looking for.

First off, if you don't care about the tweezers, you can just file off the "tweezer guides" from the plastic scale and a squirt/style blade will fit right in.

However, if you do want the tweezers, it's not much harder. If you undo the screw for the plastic scale, you can file it down so that the scissors fit on that side. You'll be removing the tabs here again, and taking the total scale thickness down to about half of what it started as. Then, if you cut and rebend the tweezer (or just file them down, with the angle direction being the opposite of how they come) you can also fit the tweezers in and they will nestle up against the angle of the scissors. Then the knife goes on the side that it typically does for for the CS style, and as a bonus you can also fit a file under it. With this, you can find a style CS on ebay (cheaper than the style PS), and a Squirt PS4 (for the scissors and file if you want it). You can even then reassemble the squirt with the style scissors, knife and the screw drivers it comes with and maybe throw keys on the other side? Just a thought.

https://imgur.com/5vJhabs

There is also a guy who 3d prints a bit holder than you can add to the end if you carry any of those, let me know if you need a link.

Finally, if you want to be able to travel with the thing through TSA, you could replace the blade with a scalpel holder, which is usually pretty easy. I've flown 20+ times and so far have made it through fine.

https://imgur.com/Vjjj4vt

Let me know if you have any questions! I basically only mod smaller tools because that's all that fits in my pocket, so that's all I carry.

Offline Trebor Redins

Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 07:25:40 AM
You've got to remove the scalpel blade of course (when going through TSA). I just splay it out so you can see that it has no blade.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 08:02:58 AM
What you're wanting to do is definitely possible, and while reprofiling the 91 mm blade would work, there might be an easier way to get what you're looking for.

That’s just suggested for a pure ‘drop-in’ solution.

First off, if you don't care about the tweezers, you can just file off the "tweezer guides" from the plastic scale and a squirt/style blade will fit right in.

Forgot to add this suggestion, but also ‘needs’ a new nail nick cut on the other side.

Thought about the file or other Squirt tools under the blade instead of a spacer as I was putting these away. The only thing I’d add for that is a slit in the backspring so the tools are more independently operating. 

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 06:45:36 PM
Much food for thought here. :think:

Considering the tool's intended purpose, getting rid of the tweezers wouldn't bother me at all. It would be one less unused feature.

I think my first step would be to get hold of a brand-new Style PS and see how its scissors do on paracord. If they don't perform to my satisfaction, the point is moot.

Plans B, C, and D would be pressing my Deluxe Tinker into service, adding the pliers layer to a Compact, and pairing a SkeleTool with a replacement SwissCard scissors. Having an alphabet full of plans is awlways a good idea.

Thanks for the help and advice, gents!
USN 2000-2006

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 07:11:40 PM
Sorry if it’s too many ideas!

I’d like to hear your scissor opinions when you get them.

In case you’re interested in scissor opinions:
Show content
I think the Leatherman scissors might be better for cord or stranded materials. Better than Vics IMO. I don’t cut a lot of cord, but I’d choose Wengers, I think, if I did. The serrated edge helps.

Compact + pliers would be cool.

I like the Mechanic Jr., but scissors would be a great addition.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #8 on: March 07, 2022, 09:22:01 PM
Too many ideas? No!

My use of MT scissors on paracord has thus far been limited to SAKs (both Victorinox and Wenger types) and a Leatherman Micra. Of those, the Victorinox type are far and away the best. The Micra does okay on the inner strands and outer layer by themselves, but struggles with intact paracord.

Unless it was pretty badly worn, I wouldn't mod a Special Mechanic. I don't remember the last time I saw one for sale!
USN 2000-2006

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 07, 2022, 09:51:59 PM
Yeah, that would be like modding a Rütli because one wanted a CS or the Thin Pliers.  I was thinking more of the format/layout and not the actual donors.

I’d like to see what you’d do if you move forward with the Style PS. Or whatever you decide!  :tu:

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #11 on: March 08, 2022, 05:19:22 AM
I've sealed a couple of deals on Leatherman tools and a Gerber Suspension, one of which could at least temporarily make it into the paracord tools box. Right now, a Victorinox SwissChamp is filling that slot. It remains in its box when not in use, as I suspect paracord might not play nice with Cellidor.

I'll look a little more into the NexTool Flagship, even though there seem to be concerns about its durability. And the Style PS mod is still in consideration. The same is true of Plans B, C, and D.
USN 2000-2006

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 08, 2022, 11:35:09 AM
I have had this for a while now... not a big fan of the tiny scissors..... they work for very light duty only.. and their springs are extremely prone to breakage for no reason as you can tell from mine. I have replaced the spring entirely. I added a liner lock to the blade to spice things up a little. Blade is reprofiled from a juice. Not the proudest knife I have reshaped...

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 08, 2022, 05:18:49 PM
Nice.  :tu:  That’s almost exactly the ‘what I’d do’ I put in my first post!  :D

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #14 on: March 08, 2022, 11:39:18 PM
Not a big fan of the tiny scissors..... they work for very light duty only.. and their springs are extremely prone to breakage for no reason as you can tell from mine.
Have you tried the scissors on 550 paracord, and if so, how did they perform? Your write-up has me curious. Perhaps I should reconsider my plan A?
USN 2000-2006

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 09, 2022, 01:01:52 AM
Nice.  :tu:  That’s almost exactly the ‘what I’d do’ I put in my first post!  :D

Haha yeah that's exactly. I have seen someone done it before.

Have you tried the scissors on 550 paracord, and if so, how did they perform? Your write-up has me curious. Perhaps I should reconsider my plan A?

I have tried my cheapish paracord before. Doesn't cut nice. I would say its just good for paper and loose threads.. Its really tiny, can't do much with it. You really have to consider the scissors spring too. It breaks too often. I have mine that breaks for no reason.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #16 on: March 09, 2022, 05:22:50 AM
I have tried my cheapish paracord before. Doesn't cut nice.
Perhaps I need to move along the alphabet. Thanks for the input!
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Adam5

Reply #17 on: March 09, 2022, 07:45:07 PM
I meant to respond this morning  :facepalm:

If the ES4 scissors and the Style PS scissors are the same, then I would go a different route. I tested the ES4 scissors with 550 paracord and had some difficulty getting a clean cut. It is possible, but isn't it like using Vic scissors.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #18 on: March 10, 2022, 12:59:42 AM
Adam, thank you for your input, and thank you again for doing such extensive testing of multi-tool scissors.

It is sounding more like a Style PS mod is not the way to go. However, I have a Freestyle on the way. Possibly excepting the combo edge, the Freestyle paired with replacement SwissCard scissors seems like the way to go now.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #19 on: March 13, 2022, 06:33:23 PM
Just a quick little update: a Gerber Suspension NXT has replaced the SwissChamp in the paracord tools box. The Suspension NXT doesn't do too bad in that role, but it is a little on the bulky side.

Considering the intended use, I've canceled plans to mod a Style PS. Modding my Freestyle with a plain edge blade and pairing it SwissCard scissors is the new plan.

Thanks to awl for the helpful feedback!
USN 2000-2006

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%