Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Newbie creates the bladeless Swiss Chop

Offline MikeJay

Newbie creates the bladeless Swiss Chop
on: November 20, 2022, 07:20:32 PM
TLDR: random rantings of a newbie to SAK mods. By a newbie mostly for newbies.

Here is (was) a Swiss Champ SAK (now a SAT) that has been neutered of 6 tools. As such, I`m calling it the Swiss Chop  :facepalm: lol

Removed: blades & corkscrew, saw, fish scaler, and small flat driver on back.

Why? I carry a blade regardless, and never use some tools so why have extra weight. The top tools were an easy choice, but I did debate heavily on the back tools - small flat driver vs. small chisel. I finally decided the flat driver is kind of hard to use on the back anyway, and several times I have used the chisel on my Spirit. So the chisel won.

This was my very first experience modding a SAK. One way to learn - just do it. I really only had to seek help on tool layer compatibility and peening, as I have never ran across a need to peen anything before. Turns out to be quite easy (albeit time consuming) and doesn't require the absolute perfection I first imagined. I live in a small 1 BR apartment, so I did all the drilling, disassembly, and re-assembly on my kitchen countertop and glass dining room table covered with a towel. I did the peening in my Mom's garage with a cheap clamp-on vise and even cheaper 10 oz ball peen from HD. Overall a fun and educational experiment!

-Here is a previous post where I was still trying to figure things out https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,90118.0.html

Random thoughts and notes along the way:

-Once you take it apart, the tool compatibility becomes more obvious. Things fit or they don't. You can reach the nail nick or you cant. Taking out layers requires no extra parts, (if you salvage the bushings) but adding a layer will of course leave you with brass rods that are too short. I found replacement rods and bushings on AliExpress in the Mack Walker store.

-The Dremel 8250 is a great tool to have around - quiet brushless motor for the apartment setting.

-No matter how careful I was, drilling out the bushings still didn't go as well as I hoped. But, in the end they were able to be reused.

-In my attempt to center-punch the 2.2mm rod with bushing before drilling, I punched it right out on first strike. Seemed way too easy.

-Some liners where harder to remove than I expected. Springs were stiffer than I expected. Some tools were more tricky to get lined up than others. Especially assembling the first layer with openers - it's very wonky by itself until the second liner helps to hold it all together. This step really demonstrates that no single part of the SAK is very strong. It's strength comes from multiple parts working together.

- The Cybertool L (41) was a great companion to assist in neutering the Swiss Champ lol

- I left it un-peened for several days while I slept on it. Good thing, I rearranged layers several times until satisfied.

-One goal was to get the inline phillips somewhat more centered than default, I achieved that; I love the scissors being on the easiest to access outside layer; the file worked great between the openers and pliers because the nail nick is accessible; the hook is perfect to replace the corkscrew because it can be easily accessed without needing a nail nick facing the outside, which will be covered once I get custom scales made flush without the corkscrew cutout.

-Technically I could have kept the corkscrew if desired (normally with blade layer). I could have paired it with the file and made it the last layer instead. It would have required grinding/filing down the base of the corkscrew, side facing the outside, from about 2.5 mm to 1.75mm. Not all that difficult but I really didn't want it on this particular setup anyway.

* IMG_1159.jpg (Filesize: 383.83 KB)

* IMG_1155.jpg (Filesize: 387.11 KB)

* IMG_1160.jpg (Filesize: 417.44 KB)

* IMG_1150.jpg (Filesize: 313.54 KB)

Offline MikeJay

Re: Newbie creates the bladeless Swiss Chop
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 07:45:48 PM
Lastly I also plan to grind off the can opener "blade" to leave nothing but the flat driver. Several times on the Spirit I wished I had better reach on the flat driver without the opener blade in my way.  Not once since I left the Army in 1992 have I used a tool-type can opener  :dunno:

I forgot to mention, this tool is intended to replace my Spirit XC at work to be lighter and more compact. Whenever I need pliers at work, my "real" pliers (Knipex all they way) are always close by so they largely go unused on a multitool. BUT, I believe I will absolutely love gaining the small pliers on Swiss Chop to be used as "heavy duty tweezers". Picking up and holding small pieces etc when regular pliers are too large. And the Magnifying glass - countless times I have wished I had one on me. 53 yr old eyes aren't the same...

* IMG_1161.jpg (Filesize: 325.65 KB)

Offline MikeJay

Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 08:14:37 PM
Another random thought - 2 weeks ago I didn't even know the scales could be removed and replaced. Came a long way in that time! Thankful for YouTubers like Felix Immler, Fit To Survive, etc and especially one called "My first custom Victorinox" by raoul octav really helped me (I think I`ve seen the name here). And of course lurking through multitool.org sure helps

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 04:12:36 PM
Might be worth asking if anyone can 3d print you a set of scales without the corkscrew cutout? There are plenty of people printing scales already and assume it would be reasonably easy to fill that but in.

us Offline Enginears

Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 04:14:37 PM
 :like:

I am new to modding as well and relate to many of your observations, including accidentally knocking out the 2.2 mm rod when attempting to center punch.

Drilling out the pins cleanly is infinitely more difficult than it appears on youtube, even after tearing down a number of knives I still break a sweat thinking Ill smoke the bushings.

It looks like you could make some liners and put together a nice little outdoor fishing knife with the saw, scaler, and blades leftover.

Offline MikeJay

Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 01:18:29 AM
Might be worth asking if anyone can 3d print you a set of scales without the corkscrew cutout? There are plenty of people printing scales already and assume it would be reasonably easy to fill that but in.
I ordered custom Micarta scales with no cutouts but they are from the UK so will take a couple weeks. Found a guy who makes them on Etsy.

Offline MikeJay

Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 01:29:35 AM

Drilling out the pins cleanly is infinitely more difficult than it appears on youtube, even after tearing down a number of knives I still break a sweat thinking Ill smoke the bushings.

For sure, the old pros make it look so easy lol. But I had a backup plan. Found a set of 2” brass rods on AliExpress that comes with 2- 2.5mm and 2- 2.2mm rods, and a set of  matching bushings. Takes a few weeks to arrive so I’ll keep them for later. Already thinking of what I “need” next. I’d love to find a source for individual tools, springs, liners but I haven’t ran across anything yet

Offline MikeJay

Reply #7 on: December 24, 2022, 10:56:30 PM
Received the custom scales today (yay, Christmas Eve!)

This finally finishes my first SAK mod (well at least the first one I *started*, I have since finished a RangerGrip also). I`m a little biased of course but I think it is just awesome. The custom Micarta "plus" scales without corkscrew cutout were made perfectly. This is more of a summer tool when I don't feel like carrying a full size multitool but still want the basics with me (in my use case). I consider my "tools" additional to a main blade, whichever that may be at any given time  :D

I'm glad the scales took over a month (custom from UK). I had this apart so many times, re-arranging tools, changing my mind, the original Swiss Champ finally ended up only 4 layers ::) It is indeed "chopped" to perfection. The file's nail nick ended up blocked by the pliers so I created one on the reverse side with a Dremel. The actions are nice and smooth, at least after I got the main pivot pin too tight at first but I replaced it with a new pin and got it just right on the second peening.

* PXL_20221224_205424638.jpg (Filesize: 243.97 KB)

* PXL_20221224_205435328.jpg (Filesize: 293.08 KB)

* PXL_20221224_205631830.jpg (Filesize: 247.72 KB)

* PXL_20221224_205712870.jpg (Filesize: 387.75 KB)

us Offline Enginears

Reply #8 on: December 24, 2022, 11:04:08 PM
Very nice MikeJay! The scales are beautiful and the toolset looks useful.

Offline MikeJay

Reply #9 on: December 24, 2022, 11:05:10 PM
Dang it I lied, it's not finished. Got excited when the scales arrived. But I still want to grind down the can opener into more of a regular flat head shape. THEN it will be complete. But it's pretty close now :)

Offline MikeJay

Reply #10 on: December 24, 2022, 11:12:24 PM
Very nice MikeJay! The scales are beautiful and the toolset looks useful.

I totally love the scales! Even better than what I expected. They fit absolutely perfect and tight without glue. I wanted a simple understated black and red, exactly what I got and I agree it's beautiful. I`m not a fan of those G10 liners with flashy colors, although the guys who do them are extremely talented.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%