Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Explore Magazine- one for the Canadians!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Explore Magazine- one for the Canadians!
on: April 10, 2023, 08:20:59 PM
I've often wanted to look into getting those subscription boxes, but between the shipping to Canada and the giant import taxes, I just never have. 

But, there is a Canadian one that has been around for a while, and it is offered by the folks at Explore Magazine.  It is Canadian oriented, and I have been wanting to support them for a while now.  Unfortunately, due to the taxes and shipping etc, the items always seemed to be of lower quality and higher price estimate.  There were a few times that I saw the "$150 value for only $50" box filled with stuff that would cost about $25-30 if bought on eBay or AliExpress etc.  If you boought name brand stuff from a Canadian retailer like Canadian Tire or Mountain Equipment, then yeah, you'd probably pay about $150, but you'd have name brand stuff and not the cheapo knockoffs!

Anyways, last month they sent me an offer I couldn't refuse, so I decided to give it a shot and buy a subscription to the magazine, which included the gear box.  Who am I to say no to that?

Naturally I completely forgot about this and I was a bit surprised when the box arrived today.  I was very curious and took it out to the yard to open it since it's such a beautiful day out.

I was pleasantly surprised- the stuff isn't bad- maybe still not the promised $150 worth of stuff, but better than I expected.

Let's start with the bit that is probably of least interest to me- the fanny pack (or bum bag, depending on where you are) is actually a decent little fanny pack, and the Explore logo on the front is a velcro backed patch.  I'll probably put that on one of my more regularly used bags, and Megan says she will probably make use of the fanny pack.  She likes fanny packs, not rememering the Dark Days of the 80's when neon fanny packs were everywhere!   :ahhh

Next up was this very large insulated tumbler.  I may make use of this one, but I am pretty much stuck on my Yeti's right now, so I don't honestly know how much use this one will see.  It's still a nice mug, and may be gifted to someone because I'd hate to see it spend it's whole life in the cupboard!

Then I pulled out the Blistwool- basically wool that you stick in your shoes and it naturally finds and fills voids between your sock and shoe, reducing rub spots and the blisters that result from them.  I can't say I have ever tried this stuff, but I'm looking forward to giving it a shot!

The next item I pulled out was a 20L dry bag.  I have a few already, but I honestly don't think you can have too many.  This seems like a good one, rubber lined, and appears to have a good seal.  It has one feature that I really like that none of my other drybags have- a clip at the bottomfor a shoulder strap!

Def

* ExploreSpring2023-1.jpg (Filesize: 172.63 KB)

* ExploreSpring2023-3.jpg (Filesize: 260.58 KB)

* ExploreSpring2023-4.jpg (Filesize: 278.96 KB)

* ExploreSpring2023-2.jpg (Filesize: 316.15 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Explore Magazine- one for the Canadians!
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 08:31:42 PM
Now the pics are in the wrong order since I screwed up and posted the wool twice.   :facepalm:

Oh well, hopefully this post will turn out a bit better!

This was actually the first thing I pulled out- it is a large emergency blanket/ground sheet that comes with four tent pegs to nail it down.  I think this will be super handy at the beach this year- I'll stake it out on the sand and we can put the beach towels on top of it to reduce the amount of sand getting into everything! 

After that is another pic of the blue dry bag- I had intended to put the two pics together to show both sides, but time makes fools of us all....  :facepalm:

Given how pleased I was to see the 20L dry bag with a shoulder strap, you can imagine how pleased I was to see another, slightly smaller one!  The grey one is 10L, and looks to be every bit as nice as the 20L one.

Lastly, we come to this hunk of metal with holes in it.  I will admit, I had to look this one up, as I thought it was either a MOLLE panel of some sort, or one of those electrolytic plates that you put in a tub of Calgon and it sucks the tarnish off your jewelry.  The MOLLE thing didn't make much sense as there didn't seem anywhere to mount it, and the electrolytic plate didn't seem like much of an outdoorsy thing to include.

I was happy to be wrong- it's a grille.  You basically prop up either side with logs or rocks and start a fire underneath it, and it provides a nice cooking surface.  As a fat guy, I am looking forward to giving it a shot!

There were also some stickers and my first issue of the Explore magazine in it- I haven't had a chance to leaf through it yet, but I will let you all know if there's anything interesting in it.  I also got a guide on the best places to hike and camp across Canada, but unfortunately there are only 3 listed for Nova Scotia, and I have been to all of them so I don't know how useful it will be to me!

Def

* ExploreSpring2023-5.jpg (Filesize: 104.97 KB)

* ExploreSpring2023-6.jpg (Filesize: 301.42 KB)

* ExploreSpring2023-7.jpg (Filesize: 314.1 KB)

* ExploreSpring2023-8.jpg (Filesize: 184.22 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 12:54:43 AM
I'm not a fan of subscription boxes generally - as you've already alluded to, the stuff you get tends to be mutton dressed up as lamb - and whilst the first mug might be a novelty - how many do you end up with after 12 months of boxes?! - I don't have eleven friends, much less eleven friends who want mugs!

Unrelated, but there seems to be something wrong with their store link? I can only see the sub boxes (but if I find direct links to other items, the links work, you just can't get to them/search the "Store) for them)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 11:57:11 AM
I'm not a fan of subscription boxes generally - as you've already alluded to, the stuff you get tends to be mutton dressed up as lamb - and whilst the first mug might be a novelty - how many do you end up with after 12 months of boxes?! - I don't have eleven friends, much less eleven friends who want mugs!

Unrelated, but there seems to be something wrong with their store link? I can only see the sub boxes (but if I find direct links to other items, the links work, you just can't get to them/search the "Store) for them)

I agree with everything you said, but at least in this case the box is only quarterly, so you only have to try and find 4 friends a year, not 12!   :D

Also, yes, the website is poo.  I subscribed to their emails years ago and they are nice enough to send me direct links to subscribe to the magazine.

Unfortunately I'd intended to read the magazine during some down time at work today, and guess what I forgot to bring.   :facepalm:

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%