Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me get the multi-plier generations straight

Offline MT360

• New User
Help me get the multi-plier generations straight
on: November 10, 2023, 04:43:25 AM
I could use some help getting the multi-plier generations straight.

What I've learned (or think I've learned) is:

Gen 1  handles squeeze together flush (mr pinchy), comes with scissors instead of file
gen 2 scissors replaced by awl  2 cutouts on each side of the handles for easier tool access
gen 3 ?
gen 4 ?
gen 5    riveted on studs for slider mechanism instead of Allen bolts  also  first to be offered in needle nose option.

Did every version have different profile pliers?
When were the handles changed so they couldn't squeeze together flush and pinch you, was it gen 2?
Did any version after 1 have the optional leather pouch? 

Thanks.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Help me get the multi-plier generations straight
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 01:52:47 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum.   :cheers:

Try checking out this thread in the Gerber forum        Mr. Pinchy Club

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 09:25:40 PM
We also have the MP600 page in the Multitool Encyclopedia:

https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Multi-Plier+600

But, I will agree that there is a lot of info missing that I would love so see fleshed out, so I'm totally in for helping out.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 03:18:57 PM
I'm going to move this to the Gerber forum to see if you can get a better response   :tu:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 01:32:38 AM
I could use some help getting the multi-plier generations straight.

What I've learned (or think I've learned) is:

Gen 1  handles squeeze together flush (mr pinchy), comes with scissors instead of file
gen 2 scissors replaced by awl  2 cutouts on each side of the handles for easier tool access
gen 3 ?
gen 4 ?
gen 5    riveted on studs for slider mechanism instead of Allen bolts  also  first to be offered in needle nose option.

Did every version have different profile pliers?
When were the handles changed so they couldn't squeeze together flush and pinch you, was it gen 2?
Did any version after 1 have the optional leather pouch? 

Thanks.

Does this help ?
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,48158.msg928733.html#msg928733
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: November 15, 2023, 12:31:42 AM
Very helpful Greg  :tu:

I copied much of the following info from a earlier post on MTo (possibly by Bob ? ), with revisions and additions from looking at various Mr Pinchies (and some assumptions on my part).  Naturally any errors/omissions are my fault.  If anyone has any corrections and/or extra info please speak up (eg which versions were made with a BO finish).  Sorry, I can't do photos.  I hope this helps out all those interested in the development of gerber's (in)famous "Mr Pinchy".

EARLY GERBER MULTI-PLIERS ("Mr Pinchy")          

Gerber kept making small changes to their Multi-Plier throughout the 1990's, so we tend to see a lot of subtle variations. Some were stamped and sold with the Fiskars logo, and at least some of these had slightly different tool loads (Fiskars owned Gerber at that time).  At some stage Gerber started making a BO finish available, as well as the much more common bead blasted SS finish.   Here's a summary of the main steps along the way:

Version 1) The very first models had a high-polish finish, instead of the bead blast we've seen on Gerber tools since. It also had button-head screws in all four blade pivot points, and button head screws on the plier slides. Also note the pivot bushing between the plier jaws. A crude pair of scissors was included, and a VERY thick Lanyard clip.  The very first run of Multi-Pliers were etched with “FIRST PRODUCTION RUN” (a.k.a. “FPR” ) on one handle.

V1.0  FPR
V1.1  One handle cut-out, mis-matched nail nicks (don’t line up with cut-outs)
V1.2  One handle cut-out, matched nail nicks
V1.2  Two handle cut-outs, matched nail nicks

All ?     “PATENT PENDING”

Version 2) The second version went to the now-familiar bead blast finish. The scissors were replaced by a big triangular shaped awl. This version still has button head pivots, button head sliders, and the pivot bushing between the plier jaws. The pliers had slightly beefier jaws with a squarer shape, while the lanyard clip was slimmed to a more “normal” thickness.

V2.0  “PATENT PENDING”
V2.1 “U.S. PATENT NO 5142721”

Version 3) This version wasn't much of a change really. They simply did away with the pivot bushing.

All ?  “U.S. PATENT NO 5142721”

Version 4) Changes: On one side of each handle, the button head screw was replaced with a round nut, while a file replaced the large awl.

V4.0   “U.S. PATENT NO
         5142721/5142844”        NB The 5142844 # was possibly an error, as later versions all used 5212844.

V4.1      “    U.S.    5142721
            PATENT    5212844
         PAT PEND”

Version 5) This introduced a new, even beefier shape to the blunt nose plier jaws, and needle nose jaws were offered for the first time as well.  Gone were the button head slider screws, replaced by two different sizes of round-headed rivets.

All ?     “U.S.      5142721
         PATENT    5212844
       PAT PEND”

At this point Gerber stopped with the minor evolutions of the Multi-Plier (Mr Pinchy) and came out with a major overhaul. Called the Multi-Lock when it first hit the market, the new tool had all-locking blades, plastic sliding lock releases, unique blade-pivot screws, the now familiar little circlip spring steel slider clips, etc.

After a while this tool became the 600-series Multi-Plier (MP600), with all its many tool component and plier type configurations. The very first ones were also stamped "First Production Run" (FPR).
All ?     “U.S.      5142721
        PATENT    5212844
       PAT PEND”           NB This is stamped inside the handle, not externally as before (and in a very small font).

This information was last updated by gregozedobe on 5 August 2014

Offline MT360

• New User
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2023, 04:31:33 AM
Thanks a lot, just what I was looking for!
I had looked at a few pages of that thread before but my brain was starting to melt from information overload. lol

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: November 18, 2023, 03:50:07 PM
Mr Pinchy is a fun one to collect.  I briefly went down that rabbit hole.  Greg is a great source of information.  Post pictures of what you have if you have tools. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD