Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Questions About Knipex

us Offline BlindFarmer

Questions About Knipex
on: January 03, 2024, 02:03:59 AM
Hello all you wonderful folks. Help me understand, why is Knipex so hot right now? What is the hype all about? I ask because I am use the Irwin Vise Grip, Genuine Chanelock, heck when my cousin upgraded his tools he gave me his Mac Tools plier set. What makes Knipex so special? Is it simply the latest fad, like the Leatherman Arc? Explain Knipex to me.

* IMG_20230515_114251559_HDR.jpg (Filesize: 217.54 KB)
When all else fails, go for the joke - Paul

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Questions About Knipex
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 02:41:43 PM
Knipex has lots of different pliers. Any in particular which need explanation?

If it is more about the brand in general I can only speak about my own experience with them for the last 20-30 years or so. Knipex generally make good pliers, and you get what you pay for. I certainly can't say that for all other brands I've tried. They also have some models that most other manufacturers don't have like plier wrenches.

There are certainly other high quality brands out there too. The prices tend to be similar though.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 03:03:57 PM
Not a fad.  The Pliers Wrench is like having a full imperial/metric wrench set in your pocket.  The smooth jaws remain parallel at all positions, don't chew up your fastener, and the ratcheting action (for lack of a better term) allows you to loosen/tighten without having to constantly remove/replace the wrench.  The Cobras are super grippy/bitey for round stock.

You make make it through the day just fine without a Knipex.  But they do have a lot going for them.  They are well-made and a somewhat on the spendy side.

us Offline BlindFarmer

Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 03:59:53 PM
Thank you everyone for the explanation. I am simply out of the loop. I did not realize Knipex had been around as long as it has. I see now they are a premium brand tool. Thank you for the help.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 10:45:33 PM
The EDC community becomes familiar with a tool or item then thru social media it becomes a thing to a wider audience.  Great for the company who will now sell their tools to people who wouldn't normally buy them.  Those who have used the tools for decades were always in the know.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline BlindFarmer

Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 10:48:27 PM
The EDC community becomes familiar with a tool or item then thru social media it becomes a thing to a wider audience.  Great for the company who will now sell their tools to people who wouldn't normally buy them.  Those who have used the tools for decades were always in the know.

Ok, I get it now. Great tools that people have known about for years. I never heard of them. Now I get it, social media spread the word. Makes sense now. Thank you.

fi Offline Blunt Object

Reply #6 on: January 12, 2024, 09:16:09 PM
I knew Knipex exists, but I have tons of pliers, both good and bad, so I didn't see the point in getting another pair, as I'm not a tool pro. Until I saw videos of people building EDC kits around them, and realized how handy a very small pair could be. After trying out the Cobra XS I was sold. The grippiest, most precise pliers I have ever had. I like working with 2x4s, slabs if concrete, axes and angle grinders, so I don't even have many precision tools. Definitely getting the wrench pliers as well.
Spydies and Vics and Leathermans, Oh My!

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 13, 2024, 01:44:39 AM
I just used a large Cobra and a large Pliers Wrench to assist in a drain cleanout.  Used the Cobra to grab and turn slip joint nuts under my kitchen sink (that were beyond finger tight), and the Pliers Wrench to open an access point in sub-level 1 (a.k.a. the basement) to get a snake in there.  Just when I thought I would have to call a plumber on Saturday, I hit the jackpot and everything opened up.  That's a good feeling.

Yeah, I could have used a Channellock and adjustable wrench, but I just dig the Knipex brand.   :salute:

us Offline Murphy Slaw

Reply #8 on: January 21, 2024, 12:19:00 PM
What would I know?

I carry an Arc...

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 09, 2024, 11:33:31 PM
I only have 4' Knipex pliers wrench, Cobra pliers and combo pliers but they are rock solid when I've had to use them. Only small issue I've had with them was a tiny amount of rust on one. A little mineral oil took care of that spot.  :tu:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #10 on: March 10, 2024, 12:47:09 AM
I've carried the multi component variation of the pliers wrench for years and I cannot speak highly enough of them.  Once you used them you might consider (as I have) trying other brands but nothing is even remotely comparable.  I've tried other brands and variations of smooth jaw pliers; either there is play within the jaws, the handles aren't comfortable, issues with steel quality and warranty concerns as well. 

Yes there are social media influenecers that promote this brand; yet serious personals and those that understand quality have been using Knipex for decades.  They aren't cheap and aren't made to be that way either.   Would highly advise against buying any Knipex tools from Amazon as both the warranty process and legitimate issue of authentic Knipex tools is a concern.   

That said it's entirely your choice.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD