Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone know any SOG stockists in the UK?

Toze · 39 · 4992

Offline Toze

Anyone know any SOG stockists in the UK?
on: March 26, 2009, 08:50:39 PM
Does anyone know if there are any SOG stockists in the UK? Preferably in or around London? Trying to get hold of a PowerAssist but not having much luck!! Thanks.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Anyone know any SOG stockists in the UK?
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 08:53:15 PM
Heinnies have them http://www.heinnie.com/jjx5y31335134/Pocket-Tools/SOG/c-1-94-224/ . Being a UK store they aren't as cheap as the banner members from the US though, but being AO it would probably make sense to buy it in the UK.  Especially with customs being like they are ATM.

Welcome to the forum.
I'm back!!

Offline Toze

Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 09:04:25 PM
Cool, i'll give them a try! Thanks!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 10:02:37 PM
Welcome to the forum Toze :tu: hope you find the SOG your looking for :cheers:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 10:02:46 PM
Welcome aboard mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 10:19:44 PM
Welcome dude! :cheers:

Offline Toze

Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 10:37:08 PM
Many thanks gentlemen, nice to be part of the gang!

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 03:31:23 PM
Heinnies have them http://www.heinnie.com/jjx5y31335134/Pocket-Tools/SOG/c-1-94-224/ . Being a UK store they aren't as cheap as the banner members from the US though, but being AO it would probably make sense to buy it in the UK.  Especially with customs being like they are ATM.

Welcome to the forum.
I have been thinking of this for awhile and I'm getting a little worried now! but not overly so! it takes a lot to do that,

however here's the thing:I have a power assist on it's way from Tasmania(fingers crossed haha!) but I would have thought if it's available in the UK which it is as I write this,why would it be any different ordering from outside the UK. :think:

Surely! the shops like Heinnie  and shop4lessUK.com would have to import them,so my point is customs would most likely look at their consignments  and if there were any prohibited items then they would not be able to advertise or sell power assists. :think: 

Just thinking out loud guys  :D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 03:33:26 PM by TITAN »

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 03:41:55 PM
If UK laws are any similar to ours, reps are allowed to import such items on a special permit. It goes in tandem with the fact that you can't carry them in public (without a good reason etc.) but you can own them nevertheless.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 03:47:38 PM
If UK laws are any similar to ours, reps are allowed to import such items on a special permit. It goes in tandem with the fact that you can't carry them in public (without a good reason etc.) but you can own them nevertheless.
Yes! same here but there are no special permits here for anyone wanting to own prohibited items,I think that's what I was trying to say if it's not prohibited by Law then it should be ok to import a power assist.

I know OTF and so called flick knives are prohibited and not even heinnie could help if you wanted one.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 03:50:48 PM by TITAN »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 04:07:27 PM
Not that I want to add fuel to the fire, but remember that any packages that Customs decides to look at is scrutinized at the whim of the agent looking at it.  It's not a pass/fail type system, but an interpretive one.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 04:08:12 PM
The permit here is for importing and selling, not owning. I guess it's a measure to limit importing of prohibited items to certain individuals/companies so that they can be better controlled by the authorities. That, in turn, allows these individuals/companies to resell them at whatever price they deem good for them, as the competition is non-existent... ::)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 06:40:08 PM
Not that I want to add fuel to the fire, but remember that any packages that Customs decides to look at is scrutinized at the whim of the agent looking at it.  It's not a pass/fail type system, but an interpretive one.

Def

And that's exactly the problem.

In todays climate, I wouldn't even buy a OH folder from outside Europe, let alone an AO.  Just not worth the risk IMO.
I'm back!!

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 08:56:50 PM
Ok and really to put my mind at rest I did some digging the facts are:

if an item is seized in customs it has to be for a good reason (and correct interpretation of the knife laws) and not just because they feel like it "ah that looks dodgy lets seize it" in other words it has to be a prohibited item of which I discovered the sog power assist is not.

in fact only full auto knives are not semi auto's,there is one other thing if a item is seized there is an appeal procedure within thirty days.

A typical letter of seizure http://www.blades-uk.com/images/links/customs.jpg

I know this is useless info for many but! guys you had me thinking!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 09:08:32 PM by TITAN »

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 10:03:51 PM
What you have said is true, but there is still interpetation of the law that can mean that your new blade gets confiscated.  For example, some Spydies (and other knives) that are legal to buy here in the UK have been seized as they can be opened by inertia and are then classified as a gravity knife which are on the ban list.

Because the law can be so grey in some places, you can still end up being caught out and out of pocket.
I'm back!!

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 10:19:20 PM
What you have said is true, but there is still interpetation of the law that can mean that your new blade gets confiscated.  For example, some Spydies (and other knives) that are legal to buy here in the UK have been seized as they can be opened by inertia and are then classified as a gravity knife which are on the ban list.

Because the law can be so grey in some places, you can still end up being caught out and out of pocket.
So very true what you have said hence why I also added there is a recourse for those seizures IMHO I would just let the court decide if it came to that but they're not having my sog without a fight  :twak:,fingers still crossed   :ahhh

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 11:47:19 AM

And sadly quite a few people have been including members of this forum :(

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 12:08:18 PM

And sadly quite a few people have been including members of this forum :(

Neil
I would be very interested to know exactly what item you had seized?

Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 12:10:49 PM
Well I know of someone who had a Spydie UKPK conviscated, and that's bloody legal edc :-\

It just doesn't pay to get anything even remotely suspect abroad these days. Far better to just pay a little extra (especially while the exchange rate is terrible) and get it in the UK :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 12:18:29 PM
Well I know of someone who had a Spydie UKPK conviscated, and that's bloody legal edc :-\

It just doesn't pay to get anything even remotely suspect abroad these days. Far better to just pay a little extra (especially while the exchange rate is terrible) and get it in the UK :)

I think they got that one back in the end as the blade doesn't lock and therefore couldn't classify as a gravity knife.  Plenty of other Spydies have been taken though.  :(

I'm with Mike, pay the extra and buy from the UK for this kind of thing when possible.  It sucks, but it's the safer option.
I'm back!!

Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 12:22:24 PM

I think they got that one back in the end as the blade doesn't lock and therefore couldn't classify as a gravity knife.  Plenty of other Spydies have been taken though.  :(

I'm with Mike, pay the extra and buy from the UK for this kind of thing when possible.  It sucks, but it's the safer option.
And you don't then stand to lose a load of wedge, and end up on the customs watch list then either :)

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 12:39:03 PM

Wow! I had a spyderco P/KAL"which is clearly a defence knife" inspected by customs just last year and I received ok  :think:

Well that confirms it for me the prohibited item laws clearly do not work and are a complete joke IMO

I will take the advice given here in future but! I do hope the person in question appealed that "unacceptable" decision  :tu:

BTW thanks guys! for the replies I may have continued getting my knives and tools from the USA as I always have,but I will where possible get them now within the UK
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 12:42:14 PM by TITAN »

Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 12:41:01 PM
He did get it back, but there are several people in the UK out of pocket because of seizures of knives commonly on sale actually in the UK >:(

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 01:55:46 AM
BTW thanks guys! for the replies I may have continued getting my knives and tools from the USA as I always have,but I will where possible get them now within the UK

Hmmmmm. What the guys have said is clearly right, but on some things I actually think it's worth the risk. It's like the risk of things getting lost in the post, a sort of occupational hazard for collectors of these things.

It's a bit different now, but 12 months ago, anything imported from the US was basically half the UK price, but the crap exchange rate makes the gamble a bit less worthwhile now I suppose.
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 10:47:53 AM
The crap exchange rate has stopped me buying quite a few bits and bobs recently.  Combine that with the fact that I'm finding customs are hitting me for almost anything coming in over $25USD and its not good.  Like I've mentioned before its not really the tax I object to but when you're buying something at $30USD then having to pay £8 ($12USD) just to collect it that takes the shine of a new purchase :(

Neil

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 12:13:27 PM
The crap exchange rate has stopped me buying quite a few bits and bobs recently.  Combine that with the fact that I'm finding customs are hitting me for almost anything coming in over $25USD and its not good.  Like I've mentioned before its not really the tax I object to but when you're buying something at $30USD then having to pay £8 ($12USD) just to collect it that takes the shine of a new purchase :(

Neil
If the item is from a private person and it's marked as a gift I think the limit is £36 big deal I know,hmmm lets move to Australia I think the limit there is $1000 now that's a deal  :tu:

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 12:15:42 PM
Gift limit is £18 :(  £7 for non-gift unless they've upped it since March <crosses fingers>  :cry:

I've certainly been got for my fee on a $30USD gift this year  >:(

Neil

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 09:24:33 PM
Gift limit is £18 :(  £7 for non-gift unless they've upped it since March <crosses fingers>  :cry:

Neil

And, this is a guideline, not a guarantee. Customs have the option of charging you for a £1 item if they choose, gift or not. The values they publish are discretionary and can clearly be seen to change depending on the economic climate. Right now, our wonderful government seem to have f****d the economy up good and proper, so be prepared to be screwed on customs tariffs, tax, duty and very soon, fresh air tax.
I used to come here a lot.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 09:35:45 PM

Neil

And, this is a guideline, not a guarantee. Customs have the option of charging you for a £1 item if they choose, gift or not. The values they publish are discretionary and can clearly be seen to change depending on the economic climate. Right now, our wonderful government seem to have f****d the economy up good and proper, so be prepared to be screwed on customs tariffs, tax, duty and very soon, fresh air tax.
This is true nothing escapes our "TAXES" just for a laugh and to make it a little less "OMG" oppressive I received just back in Nov a package on the package was the customs "PAY NOW OR ELSE" label £12 well! that was it I never paid and my Postman never asked,some light at the end of the tunnel.I'll say.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 07:59:15 PM
Just to report "guess" what arrived today! untouched by customs meat hooks  :cheers:

Pictures and a report tomorrow   >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD