Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I'm SOGgy now too!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
I'm SOGgy now too!
on: May 09, 2009, 04:02:10 AM
Long day at work, combined with my wife being at the lumber yard, and presto!  I have a SOG powerlock now!

Here are my initial impressions:

1.  It's BIG!
2.  Those pliers are impressive.  I can't wait to put them to work  >:D
3.  The file doesn't seem as useful as the Leatherman--I'll have to try it out.
4.  The phillips looks good, seems to fit Phillips heads nicely
5.  The V cutter looks AWESOME!
6.  I'm dying to try out the 1/4 driver.  It will be tested this weekend  >:D  :angel: ;)  >:D
7.  The blade looks fair to middling. 

Despite the +s and -s, I'm really excited about the ease of replacing tools.   :cheers:

If it's as good as it appears, I'm gonna hafta figure out a way to make it a pocket carry rather than sheath carry.

Offline rockyman500

Re: I'm SOGgy now too!
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 04:03:35 AM
The 1/4 driver really is neat.
[

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 04:14:03 AM
I'm gonna hafta figure out a way to make it a pocket carry rather than sheath carry.

SOG pocket clip mod
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 04:28:48 AM
Congrats Mr. Whippy!  Welcome to the Powerlock Club!  :cheers:
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 04:34:03 AM
Welcome to the Club,the Powerlock is my household tool,paired up with the ever present Outrider,I'm good to go for about anything.
I

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 07:49:23 AM
congrats :tu: the powerlock is one of my favorites now get yourself a PPP and youre done :cheers:
A

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 08:02:53 AM
The phillips actually slips a lot in real use. It's molded for #1, and #2 is most common in my experience. Wish SOG did #2 instead, would've been a lot more useful.

The file works decently thou.

us Offline David

Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 08:44:41 AM
The PL is a good tool. I think you`ll like it. The P3 is more pocketable and can handle most jobs with ease.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 01:14:08 AM
The phillips actually slips a lot in real use. It's molded for #1, and #2 is most common in my experience. Wish SOG did #2 instead, would've been a lot more useful.

The file works decently thou.

I totally agree with that. #2 seems to be a more sensible option, and it's a shame as the SOG drivers do seem pretty good otherwise.

There is the problem of the gears sticking in your palms Mr. W - be interesting to see what you think of that when you've experienced it!
I used to come here a lot.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 03:38:00 AM
Well, today was a busy one on the farm.  I started off the day modding a Skeletool clip onto the Powerlocks.  It's not perfect, but works pretty well:

Opinions:

The pliers work pretty well.  Definitely the strong suit of this tool.  Very good quality.   

The 1/4 in driver works great, but here's the catch:  You have to have the sockets along with you AND in most instances, there's a ratcheting handle to go with them.  Why would you use the the Powerlocks driver when you can use a ratcheting handle?  I guess if you needed to fit on both sides (nut and hex head bolt for example), it would be very handy.  Still an excellent tool.

The knife is surprisingly good.  I thought it would be adequate, but it's really quite sharp and works well in the handle configuration.

Now for the bad  :(

1.  The bottle opener/driver is fairly weak.  DON'T use it to pry with (like the Vic Spirit bottle opener/tool).  I bent it enough to prevent it from closing and had to carefully straighten it again.

2.  Those "awesome" covers over the tools?  Total snagfest.  Gawdamit those things are irritating to work around.  Yes, I see they come off fairly easily, but then the handles would be kinda poky.  :pok: 
More importantly, the tool clumping and the relatively hard to catch nail nicks prevent using the tool with leather gloves on and also require 2 hands to deploy and close again.  This is a strong suit for the LM Charge.  Tools can be opened and closed one handed (for the outside tools) and closed one handed (for the inside tools).

Overall, it's a mixed bag.  I wish it were more hand function friendly, but those pliers are awesome.  In comparison to the Charge, their strong/weak suits are complementary (what's strong on one is weak on the other).  Not sure if it's gonna replace the Charge, but if I'm thinking I'm going to need to use the pliers primarily, I'll be reaching for Powerlocks.

Offline rockyman500

Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 06:42:29 AM

1.  The bottle opener/driver is fairly weak.  DON'T use it to pry with (like the Vic Spirit bottle opener/tool).  I bent it enough to prevent it from closing and had to carefully straighten it again.

I agree, Powerlock implements flex VERY easily...
[

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 01:39:30 AM
Update:

Bottle opener is excellent.  :tu:

The 1/4 inch socket driver is great, but I've managed to break the little spring. I have to contact SOG tomorrow and see what they have to say...

The pliers, btw, are the best of any I've ever used. :tu:

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 01:48:41 AM
Mine came without the little spring and they offered to send it immediately.

Yeah powerlock is like an old jeep with straight six, ergonomic is non-existent and design haven't changed much since the beginning, but dead reliable when you need it.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 01:51:17 AM
The only shortcoming is that the pliers open extremely wide..  :)
B

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 01:56:32 AM
The only shortcoming is that the pliers open extremely wide..  :)
One man's shortcoming is another man's saving grace.
@ jzmtl..I like the jeep analogy,works for me :tu:
I

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 03:03:00 AM
Yeah that spring thing fall off easily
A

us Offline turbov21

Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 04:30:25 PM
Is that why said I was better off without the scissors?  Or is there another spring I've missed?

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 04:48:31 PM
Is that why said I was better off without the scissors?  Or is there another spring I've missed?

There's also a small wire spring on the 1/4 socket adaptor.  I've never had any problems with mine but apparently the wire spring can fall off.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 04:56:45 PM
I have 3 powerlocks and two are drawer queens but the third gets used often and is hanging on a tool peg board in the garage.  It's my first choice for cutting wire.  Oh so easy.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 05:07:57 PM
I have 3 powerlocks and two are drawer queens but the third gets used often and is hanging on a tool peg board in the garage.  It's my first choice for cutting wire.  Oh so easy.

Hay Sean what is special about your 2 drawer king Powerlocks  :think: or do you just REALLY like powerlocks :tu: :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 05:17:41 PM
I have an old style head stainless powerlock with exposed gears that I got in a trade.  I quite like it but it's heavy and I don't usually carry heavy tools.  I also have a black oxide new style head but with exposed gearing as well that I think I will throw onto the trade section of the forum sometime for something.  The third powerlock is the new unit with gear covers/new head and that's my garage keeper.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 05:25:31 PM
I got my first gear covered SOG today(Paladin 510) & I reckon they are much more comfortable to use.I think I will trade the Paly though as my PPP is more practical.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline turbov21

Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 06:00:47 PM

There's also a small wire spring on the 1/4 socket adaptor.  I've never had any problems with mine but apparently the wire spring can fall off.

Ah!  Thank you. :salute:

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009, 09:04:45 PM

Ah!  Thank you. :salute:

yeah exactly :tu:
A

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 03:46:33 PM
Heard from SOG yesterday, they're sending out a few replacement springs, no problem.  :tu:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: May 21, 2009, 09:37:58 PM
Wanted to add:

I had a chance to use the file on the SOG.  I was pretty skeptical beforehand, but it did the job extremely well.  I could actually see the metal flakes it was removing.  The file gets  :tu: :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $10.00
PayPal Fees: $0.67
Net Balance: $9.33
Below Goal: $290.67
Site Currency: USD
 3%