Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is there any MT you wouldn't ever buy/use?

GraysonK · 153 · 12068

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Is there any MT you wouldn't ever buy/use?
on: August 07, 2009, 10:50:48 PM
Just curious.  Other than for collecting purposes is there a tool that exists that you wouldn't ever buy or see yourself buying (since we all know that you never know what you might do if you found a great deal on something). :D  Either because you just don't like it or just have no use for it, what would it be?
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Is there any MT you wouldn't ever buy/use?
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 10:54:55 PM
A while ago I finally figured out that only Swiss made tool's really appeal/work for me, so I just don't buy anything else anymore :-\ I am quite tempted by the ST300, but I know I'd only end up selling it as I'd always grab one of my Vics instead ::)

So in answer to your question all of the rest :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 10:56:55 PM
Ummm...

Up until I bought one, the Jubilee Soldier. I was dead set against it until I gathered the rest of the official Victorinox Jubilee stuff.

In MTs...no. They are all fair game.  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 10:58:24 PM
Not sure about which tools I wouldn't buy. I'd like to try out new tools at least once; even the low end brands.  As for tools I wouldn't use, I definitely wouldn't use the limited edition/rare/discontinued multi-tools... unless I had at least two of them.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 10:59:16 PM
Ummm...

Up until I bought one, the Jubilee Soldier. I was dead set against it until I gathered the rest of the official Victorinox Jubilee stuff.

In MTs...no. They are all fair game.  :D
Chako, buddy, I'm not sure this topic applies to you.  You've just about proven that EVERYthing is fair game.!  :D Not that you aren't perfectly welcome to try to convince us that there's something you wouldn't buy. ;)
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 11:13:42 PM
I will not buy a cheap chinese imitation leatherman like tools! Unless I need a throw away multitool.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 11:20:29 PM
after all ive heard and seen this i will never buy: http://www.multitool.org/gerber/4.5-inches-and-up/gerber-suspension.html but im looking forward to get some MP400 or MP600....those look really nice :)
A

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 11:21:23 PM
I have one. It isn't all that bad.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 11:22:41 PM
really? ive seen videos and read so many testimonials i think i could never do it :(
A

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 11:30:06 PM
I don't own a Suspension but it looks like a good EDC multi-tool that you can rough up, break or even lose and not be too angry about it.  It's affordable and looks durable.  It's something I wouldn't mind having in my tool box for daily use or let people borrow.    (Of course, the MPT 600 is much better and if I had a choice, I would choose the 600 for myself.)  The market is just saturated with Suspension knock-offs so if I was to get one of these, I would rather get the official one.

I'm waiting for Canadian Tire to have a big sale on this one ($15 or less) and then I'll pick it up.  
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 11:41:34 PM by PyroJames »
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 11:35:05 PM
There are a LOT of Gerbers I would never buy - and only a couple I would. The main reason is poor quality. Why pay about the same price as you would for better version from another brand?

I likely will never buy a Charge. I am fairly happy with the Wave, but not enough that I would spend a lot more for almost the exact same thing.

I will never buy a Crunch. I can understand why many people like it, but I would prefer to carry a regular MT plier head with my small Irwin vise grips.

I will never buy the Zilla or Guppie. As I mentioned, I prefer a regular plier-based MT for EDC and also EDC a small crescent wrench. I truly admire the innovation, but those CKRT products just don't fill my needs as well as a couple of small dedicated tools would.

I don't think I will ever buy a SAK with electronics. I might eventually waffle on that one though...  :D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 12:46:55 AM by max6166 »
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 11:37:03 PM
Hell would have to freeze over before I parted with any cash for a Gerber Flik as those drivers are simply dire (IMO YMMV).  Apart from that there is nothing else really.  Can't say I'm a big fan of the Skeletool either.
I'm back!!

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 11:37:51 PM
Anniversary and gold/silver/platin-plated LMs and Vics for me. They're way too expensive to be used and therefore useless in my book. :-\
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 12:37:53 AM by noth »

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 11:57:47 PM
very few Gerber MTs (or blades), some seem ok but all the negative reviews I read about them,
it seems like I'd be asking for trouble :( they used to be great...

but I hear/read they have great customer service so if I ever win one here.... :P ::)

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 12:28:50 AM
Alot of Gerbers.....

And all knock-offs and China Co. pieces go without saying.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 12:28:51 AM
Anything by Gerber or SOG.

Gerber because I've owned a couple and for the most part was underwhelmed. SOG because they simply don't appeal to me. Good tools though.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 12:30:52 AM
Sadly, I will never buy those platinum/gold/diamond Vic. Executives. $50K+ is a bit out of my price range :D
As for multitools, I am so happy with my Swisstool and Spirit, and so underwhelmed by an LM Wave that I will just stick with Swiss tools. I was going to buy SOG Powercut, but with my luck, they scrapped it.
-------
Alexei

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 12:33:29 AM
Anything by Gerber or SOG.

Gerber because I've owned a couple and for the most part was underwhelmed. SOG because they simply don't appeal to me. Good tools though.

Really?  SOG's compound leverage and interchangable components was what sold me on them.  My first MT was a SOG.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 02:30:42 AM
I'm a huge SOG fan, along with LM and Vic, there's nothing I'd rule out there. I think I'd give quite a few Gerbers a miss due to the poor quality of some of them, and a lot of copycat tools are a total waste of money.

I'm also not really in the market for the full sized models like the Surge as they are too big for my hands!
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 02:31:40 AM
I don't have any real use for any of the LM one handed openers.  Being a south paw means they're really not set up for me. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 03:17:03 AM
I will NEVER buy the Gerber Crucial. I wanted to before, but I like the Skeletool too much. LM had a phenomenal idea of a minimalist tool and Gerber made an inferior abomination... I don't blame Gerber for copying the idea, but it's based on the Skeletool. It even has a carabiner. That tells me that the Gerber guys are running out of ideas!  :D

A few Gerbers aren't bad, but they are not my cup of tea. I will never buy another Gerber multiplier until they come out with an original design that is good... I like Gerber knives, I'll still by them.

Sure, LM copied Gerber's idea of replaceable wire cutters: the thing is that LM improved on that design. They didn't make a knockoff or anything.

I understand the MT manufacturers "borrow" ideas from other companies, but still, you can take the idea but use some ingenuity and make it a little different!

B

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 08, 2009, 05:14:43 AM
I understand the MT manufacturers "borrow" ideas from other companies, but still, you can take the idea but use some ingenuity and make it a little different!

I agree completely. And if you are going to blatantly copy someone, at least try to make your version either a little bit better or a lot cheaper. Otherwise what is the incentive for people to buy your product instead of the original? At least the Shard made business sense...
[

Offline SingleTool

Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 05:59:37 AM
I'm probably gonna be bashed for this but I probably won't get any Swiss army plier style muti-tool, they seem to be just a SAK in plier form factor with the small bladed tools.- where is the sense in that? I'll just get more SAK if I wanted.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #23 on: August 08, 2009, 01:11:26 PM
My peevs are the china made Gerbers. and the cheap knockoffs coming out of china, that includes the Taylor Schrades.
S

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #24 on: August 08, 2009, 01:16:56 PM
I'm probably gonna be bashed for this but I probably won't get any Swiss army plier style muti-tool, they seem to be just a SAK in plier form factor with the small bladed tools.- where is the sense in that? I'll just get more SAK if I wanted.

nothing wrong with that, those hobby pliers can't be used for much and your views and opinions are valid :salute:

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #25 on: August 08, 2009, 01:22:56 PM
Bad Quality Chinese Gerbers mainly...
[

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 08, 2009, 01:26:06 PM
Wow!  There are some great answers here and it's been very informative.  I personally wouldn't ever buy a Skeletool or Freestyle because they just don't appeal to me.  I'm sure they are great tools, but I like the more classic design.  I might buy one of the Swiss MT's, actually I'm kind of leaning toward the Spirit.  I have a couple of Gerber's (400 and 600) but I don't like them.  There are several SAK models I don't think I'll ever buy simply because they are too bulky for what I would carry.  As for the Surge, I'm sure it's an awesome tool but I would have to use two hands to use it so I don't think I'll ever get that either. I love the discussion here.  
Thanks for all the responses,
Gray

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #27 on: August 08, 2009, 01:31:33 PM
I almost only buy to use or if I think i need something rather than as a ornament on the shelf, so I suppose there are a lot of tools I'll never buy.
But in the spirit of the question I wouldn't buy a Gerber legend it just doesn't feel right in my hand. Nor will I buy anything that I think won't stand up to prolonged use, so out goes the Gerber suspension family. 

Probably wouldn't buy a Skeletool as I prefer the Freestyle just too similar for me. :think:
"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #28 on: August 08, 2009, 01:42:54 PM
Anything OH..  :P
I'd never thought much of Gerber, but after getting the MP400, I really need the MP600 soon (Sliding pliers are fun)... ;)
I wouldn't waste my money buying any cheap Knock-offs..

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #29 on: August 08, 2009, 01:47:16 PM
I wouldn't waste my money on cheap knock-offs, and bad quality chinese gerbers (though I would really like to pick up a MP400 or 600 sometime)

Also the Freestyle ,Skele and others in the same category don't appeal to me...
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD