Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

So tactical it'll hurt...

665ae · 48 · 4782

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
So tactical it'll hurt...
on: August 31, 2009, 02:44:23 AM
Lately I've developed an interest in tactical clothing.  I'm toying with the idea of picking up a complete set of tactical wear just to see how many pockets I would end up with (and how much crap I could carry in them all).

I've got a pair of tactical pants on the way, and I'm going to order a tactical vest next week.  It's amazing how many "tactical" items of clothing you can get... underwear, polo shirts, hats... I wonder if there are tactical socks?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Re: So tactical it'll hurt...
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 02:48:28 AM
Lately I've developed an interest in tactical clothing.  I'm toying with the idea of picking up a complete set of tactical wear just to see how many pockets I would end up with (and how much crap I could carry in them all).

Don't forget to take pics.  :tu:
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 02:51:26 AM
Just between the pants and the vest... 27 pockets
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 03:54:41 AM
 :-\

I rather prefer the James Bond approach to tactical,

tailored suit & a rolex.  :D

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 03:59:29 AM
I'm pretty sure that I've seen socks with pockets on the side of them.  I don't remember where or when I saw them, but I'm pretty sure I did.  You could start a new line of clothing and make tactical undergarmets...socks, underwear, undershirts...bras!!  Hehe...that would be funny. 
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 04:46:12 AM
I'm pretty sure that I've seen socks with pockets on the side of them.  I don't remember where or when I saw them, but I'm pretty sure I did.  You could start a new line of clothing and make tactical undergarmets...socks, underwear, undershirts...bras!!  Hehe...that would be funny. 

I don't think I could design bra's... I'd be too tempted to make them the cup sizes I want to see, rather than actual cup sizes...  >:D

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 04:47:23 AM
Just between the pants and the vest... 27 pockets

Found a shirt I like, plus a "tactical" undershirt!  Up to 35 pockets so far...

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 04:56:13 AM
So tactical = pockets.  ::)
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 04:58:21 AM
So tactical = pockets.  ::)

No... Tactical = Tactical Pockets   ::)

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 05:02:06 AM
No... Tactical = Tactical Pockets

As far as I can tell, that just means more velcro than regular pockets.

Don't get me wrong, I love pockets.

If I try to wear slacks or business pants, all the swag I try to stash gives me a womanly, swaying-hip sort of appearance, whilst appropriately located pockets give me more of a herculean muscular thigh sort of effect.

I don't buy Tactical clothes, mostly because they are made of Tactical materials, and me an synthetics just don't get along, YMMV.

Things that I avoid in trousers (I don't wear black or camo, so I can't claim tactical :) ) are pockets at the knees.

Come on people, if I'm running, I do NOT need my torch  smacking me in the leg every step.

I like thin pockets that you can slide torches, lighters, pens, knives etc into, rather than baggy ones (if they have a snap, all the better)

Padded knees or allowance for pad insertions is a plus. Sometimes Tactics call for kneeling on cold concrete floors.

I don't like exposed metal - whether it be loops, zips, rivets or what have you.
Loops can be easily done in a strong material, zips, rivets and snaps should be covered by cloth flaps.

At least one of those square cargo pockets, but again, not baggy, I can't stand stuff that moves around inside its little home.

Belt loops big enough for a 1 1/2 - 2" belt.

And, if possible, cut and sewn to fit on a human body.

do you have pics of your new tacky-pants, or a link to a site with them?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 05:13:52 AM by Nomad »

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 05:03:23 AM
Only if those pockets are MOLLE
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 05:05:27 AM

Not quite...

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 05:06:27 AM

MOLLE Pants?  That could be awkward with all the stuff attached to em :D

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 05:07:13 AM

MOLLE Pants?  That could be awkward with all the stuff attached to em :D

But think of all the pockets you could have.....
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 05:11:23 AM
You should add a photographers vest if you’re interested in pocket density.  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 05:29:50 AM
Just looked at a bunch of tacky-wear sites.

Maybe it's just because I don't fight crime & engage in black ops, anti-terrorism night time hijinks, but I'm not persuaded any of them are any more useful than my non-tactical clothing-with-pockets.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 06:19:45 AM

Don't get me wrong, I love pockets.

If I try to wear slacks or business pants, all the swag I try to stash gives me a womanly, swaying-hip sort of appearance, whilst appropriately located pockets give me more of a herculean muscular thigh sort of effect.

I don't buy Tactical clothes, mostly because they are made of Tactical materials, and me an synthetics just don't get along, YMMV.

Things that I avoid in trousers (I don't wear black or camo, so I can't claim tactical :) ) are pockets at the knees.

Come on people, if I'm running, I do NOT need my torch  smacking me in the leg every step.

I like thin pockets that you can slide torches, lighters, pens, knives etc into, rather than baggy ones (if they have a snap, all the better)

Padded knees or allowance for pad insertions is a plus. Sometimes Tactics call for kneeling on cold concrete floors.

I don't like exposed metal - whether it be loops, zips, rivets or what have you.
Loops can be easily done in a strong material, zips, rivets and snaps should be covered by cloth flaps.

At least one of those square cargo pockets, but again, not baggy, I can't stand stuff that moves around inside its little home.

Belt loops big enough for a 1 1/2 - 2" belt.

And, if possible, cut and sewn to fit on a human body.

do you have pics of your new tacky-pants, or a link to a site with them?

http://www.bdu.com/F522082250.html

Those are the one's I ordered.

For the most part, I agree with everything you said regarding pants.  I've developed an appreciation for cargo pants over the last few months, but normal cargo pants don't stand up to the wear and tear they go thru when I'm at work (when i actually have work to do.  I'm a mechanic...)  I like the idea of stain resistant pants with a double knee and seat that ARE NOT "work" pants.  (My dad wore work pants all the time and I refuse to!)   I also like the pocket arrangement and D ring on those tactical pants too, and I'm hoping that they'll be as comfortable as the cargo's I've got now. 

I don't care much about the "tactical" part, it just looks like "tactical" pants are very close to what I'm looking for :D

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 06:33:51 AM
Eww, Polyester & Stretch waistband?

Oh well, whatever shells your prawn.

(and let's face it, Khaki is only a few months colour fading away from Beige, and you just can't trust anyone dressed in beige)

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 06:39:06 AM
Eww, Polyester & Stretch waistband?

Oh well, whatever shells your prawn.

(and let's face it, Khaki is only a few months colour fading away from Beige, and you just can't trust anyone dressed in beige)

I'm not all that excited about the stretch waistband either... but sometimes you have to make a few sacrifices :P

And don't worry... these pants are also fade resistant.  :D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 06:41:02 AM by Greatest Moderator Ever! »

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 07:03:22 AM
You should add a photographers vest if you’re interested in pocket density.  :D

Ahh pocket density. I been down that road before and still travel it on occasion. But I sometimes forget what pocket  :think:  I put something into and have to rummage around to find what I`m looking for.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 07:07:02 AM
Ahh pocket density. I been down that road before and still travel it on occasion. But I sometimes forget what pocket  :think:  I put something into and have to rummage around to find what I`m looking for.

It's not so bad if you get a routine going, it's only when you add something new to the mix, forget about it, and have to search through a week's worth of pockets to find the little bugger!

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 02:28:56 PM
Just looked at a bunch of tacky-wear sites.

Maybe it's just because I don't fight crime & engage in black ops, anti-terrorism night time hijinks, but I'm not persuaded any of them are any more useful than my non-tactical clothing-with-pockets.

"night time hijinks"... I love that term.  :D
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

dk Offline CUTZ SIX

• Stay sharp
Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 03:15:42 PM
Try a site called scottevest, he sells clothes (no really tactical) but a jacket has like 30 pockets alone  :salute:
Hes got some good stuff, and it hides all the gear well. If I wouldnt get .... by danish customs, and shipping, I would order a bunch of his stuff.  :gimme:

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 03:21:10 PM
Try a site called scottevest, he sells clothes (no really tactical) but a jacket has like 30 pockets alone  :salute:
Hes got some good stuff, and it hides all the gear well. If I wouldnt get .... by danish customs, and shipping, I would order a bunch of his stuff.  :gimme:

Scottevest makes some great stuff.  I've been wanting to get one of their jackets for years now.  Their jackets definitely have a lot of compartments but the jackets are so well-designed that they manage to conceal your stuff so it doesn't make you look too bulky.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 12:42:07 AM
I LOVE pockets but I refuse to buy anything "tactical" Although this black cane made from aircraft grade aluminum is tempting.... :D

http://americancaneselfdefense.com/?p=259

BTW what is "aircraft grade" aluminum and how is it better than other aluminum?
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: September 01, 2009, 01:54:20 AM
BTW what is "aircraft grade" aluminum and how is it better than other aluminum?

I have the sneaking suspicion that Arnotts Shapes are packaged in aircraft grade aluminium...

I suspect it's a lot like "Marine Grade" or "Mil-spec", same as the regular stuff, but faster and more expensive.

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #26 on: September 01, 2009, 05:48:20 AM

I've got a pair of tactical pants on the way, and I'm going to order a tactical vest next week.  It's amazing how many "tactical" items of clothing you can get... underwear, polo shirts, hats... I wonder if there are tactical socks?
If you get the tactical thong, don't post a picture....we'll take your word for it :D

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #27 on: September 01, 2009, 06:41:03 AM

If you get the tactical thong, don't post a picture....we'll take your word for it :D

Crap... well, I guess I'll scratch the thong pic off the list  :P

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #28 on: September 03, 2009, 07:15:24 PM
The tactical pants came in yesterday.  Washed them this morning and I have them on now...

I don't care what Nomad says :D ... these are some nice pants.  They are comfortable, put together well (note to ALP - Made in China), and the pockets are placed well.  The mag/cell phone pocket on the hip fits my LG Rumor very well.  The back pockets are divided, each has and inner and outer pocket.  The inner pocket is shallow, and fits a bi-fold wallet perfectly.  The outer pocket is quite a bit deeper.  The double knee and seat are noticeable with the pants on, but not annoying. 

All in all, for the few hours I've had them on, I like them!  (Heading out of town for the weekend, won't be able to post any pics till next week.)

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #29 on: September 03, 2009, 09:34:38 PM
I've got two pairs of Blackhawk Warrior pants and like them also.  I think the tactical look comes from more than one tactical type article of clothing...like if I wore those pants and a tactical vest/some kind of large sheath knife/shirt with a USMC dog biting a terrorists turbin off...that would be tactical to me.  But just the pants and a tshirt..they look like kaki/tan cargo pants.

My only gripe with those pants are they are too long...They are 30/30 when I could use 30/28 or 29 but no one makes them that short :P
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD