Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PT-510

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
PT-510
on: November 14, 2009, 11:37:14 PM
I got my Paladin PT-510 yesterday. I am very impressed. First the sheath is great. Nice thick black leather. The tool opens so smoothly. I didn't even think of oiling it. I tried out the Paladin wirestrippers, and they actually work. I was using 20 gauge solid copper wire. So instead of swapping it out for a flathead, I am keeping it. I removed the blade so I can take it to school. I need to get some SOG scissors and a large flathead to replace the blade and the two plastic washers. I might do a comparison between my bladeless PT-510 and my friend's knifeless Fuse.

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Re: PT-510
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 12:02:03 AM
Excellent, it's always a wonderful thing to actually like the tools when we receive them.  Can't wait for the review.  Will you be getting the PT-540?
:)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 12:06:10 AM
For those of us who are ignorant, pics?  :D

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 07:50:48 AM
For those of us who are ignorant, pics?  :D

This is my PT-510 modding setup:
A small clamp with an allen wrench in it http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200289569466&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123
Wave
Egghead to push the components into place

Excellent, it's always a wonderful thing to actually like the tools when we receive them.  Can't wait for the review.  Will you be getting the PT-540?

I just wish I had the scissors and the large flathead to put into it. I can't do the review without those components. I don't think I'll be getting any more large MTs. I really like my Wave now that it has no issues.
0352 (Large).jpg
* 0352 (Large).jpg (Filesize: 80.73 KB)

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 05:12:50 AM
So I have a few questions. First, when I get all the components I want into place, do I remove the Loctite that is already on the screw and then reLoctite it or just Loctite over the old Loctite? Does anyone know a good place to get Loctite cheap? I don't need that much at all. I am debating whether to get the can opener or the large flathead to fill out the last spot. Any advice? I also emailed SOG about getting some more white washers, so I can still use my tool as I round up the components I want. They sent them out to me for free. I am still searching for some SOG scissors. One last question. Couldn't I file down the Phillips driver to make it a #2?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 05:15:09 AM by ari6126 »

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 05:59:55 AM
So I have a few questions. First, when I get all the components I want into place, do I remove the Loctite that is already on the screw and then reLoctite it or just Loctite over the old Loctite? Does anyone know a good place to get Loctite cheap? I don't need that much at all. I am debating whether to get the can opener or the large flathead to fill out the last spot. Any advice? I also emailed SOG about getting some more white washers, so I can still use my tool as I round up the components I want. They sent them out to me for free. I am still searching for some SOG scissors. One last question. Couldn't I file down the Phillips driver to make it a #2?

I would remove as much of the old Loctite as possible, but most of it will come out when it's unscrewed in the first place, then put new Loctite Red in the pivot.  As far as getting it cheap, Lowes has it for $7.38.  That's way more than you need but it should do the trick.

I have taken apart and a SOG and reassembled it without adding the Loctite and never had trouble but it's best to be safe.

Here is a great thread regarding Sogs and Loctite  http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,4438.0.html 

Good reading and enjoy your SOG.

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 07:25:25 AM
I bought some blue Loctite on Amazon, so that's all set. I also got two white washers from SOG, so I reinstalled the wirestripper. I used my tool for the first time at school, to open the iris slot on a Source Four. The Phillips worked fine for that.

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 11:07:47 PM
Glad to hear that you got it back together,and blue is the right one to use for smaller hardware,red is for larger bolts and nuts with more vibration.
 :cheers:& :salute:

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 11:12:26 PM
 I used the pliers on the PT-510 yesterday to help the sound crew remove an antenna. I caved and bought the scissors and a large flathead from SOG. As soon as I get them, I will begin writing the "The Bladeless Battle." About the Loctite, SOG says to use blue, I guess because the nuts are small on the multitools.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 11:30:00 PM
I concur, blue is the right one. I use red on everything though as I got it cheap :D

Funnily enough I bought it from an ebay seller called "blueloctiteman" or something, but he only had red. Go figure  :think:
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 12:08:37 AM
Both will work of course but since the ones I have disassembled were shipped from SOG with Loctite Red, it seemed prudent use red to put it back together.

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 12:10:43 AM
Both will work of course but since the ones I have disassembled were shipped from SOG with Loctite Red, it seemed prudent use red to put it back together.

That's weird, mine was shipped with blue.

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 12:12:54 AM

That's weird, mine was shipped with blue.

Blue actually makes more sense anyway.

Offline RTAdams89

Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 05:02:20 AM
The RED theoretically requires heat if you want to remove it, and is generally marketed as "permanent". Blue just needs hand tools and is usually marketed as "removable". I can't image using red Loctite, as every time I've used it on larger bolts it does require heat to remove. More often than not, the heating causes the metal to expand and makes it even harder to get out.

More on subject, does the PT-xxx come with wire-strippers like the PowerLock/PowerAssist have, or are they built into the handle somehow? From the product page at Paladin, it seems like they are built into the handle.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%