Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

So give me some advice here, please...

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
So give me some advice here, please...
on: June 12, 2010, 05:42:36 PM
I'm thinking of trying to buy a Gerber multitool soon just to sort of widen my horizons and see what they are like because my experience with them is rather limited.
So I narrowed my search down to basically two choices: the Suspension/Ripstop/any of those that are all the same, and the FliK. The frontrunner in this is sort of the FliK because I am starting to get pretty discouraged by the Suspension/Ripstop/Crux/Resolve/etc.'s stubby blades and bulky handles. But I was worried about the slide-out pliers on the FliK. I'm sure they aren't that big of a deal, but I keep thinking they seem like if I'm using the knife blade or what-have-you, the pliers will slide out themselves and it will become a nuisance.
So what is ya'll's advice?

Also, one of the reasons I picked these was they have both serrated and plain edge knife blades, something that I've always preferred in my tools. But there are some other tools like the Legend and Strata that I think look pretty nice, the only real problem is that they each only have a single combo-edge blade.

Any way these tools are significantly better than the earlier ones I mentioned? Because I actually usually carry a dedicated folder anyway... I just like to have a serrated blade too. Unfortunately the only tool I know of that only has a single, fully-serrated blade is the LM Crunch...

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Anyway so I just need a whole bunch of advice, guys! Haha don't let me down!
[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: So give me some advice here, please...
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 06:04:29 PM
If you've ruled out the MP600, then I'd say go with the Flik. Apart from the stubby drivers, it's a great multitool.

The pliers sliding out when you don't want them to won't be an issue, they are held in pretty well by friction - never been a bother for me on any Gerber :)
I used to come here a lot.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 06:26:58 PM
That's great news! Okay so for now I'll plan on trying out the FliK.

Oh and the MP600 I wasn't interested in because I had one once before and I couldn't dig the inside opening tools with the plier design.
[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 06:28:38 PM
It sounds as though the Flik could be a good choice for you then :tu:

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 07:41:18 PM
I have my issues with the Flik, but I wouldnt sell/trade the one I have as all things considered, it is a good MT.
SAW

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 12:11:14 AM
Now, are you going to get the regular Flik, the Fishing pliers Flik, or the Flik on steroids they call the Freehand.  :think:

Either way, the Flik is far better than much of their low end butterfly opening Mts.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 01:54:04 AM
Don't forget they're all in black oxide as well, except the Fish.  :)

Just to muddy the waters, the plain Swisstool Spirit's only blade is almost completely serrated, except for a tiny patch right next to the blade pivot.  They call it a combo edge, I call it shenanigans.

This dagnabbed thread's got me wanting a BO Freehand now.  Cripes.
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 02:59:44 AM
That's a good point, mate! But I already had a Spirit. Granted it was the S model, but I still just couldn't get used to it. If I was going to carry a Swisstool, it'd be the original.  :multi:
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD