Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

leatherman style any good?

craigy · 23 · 4868

gb Offline craigy

leatherman style any good?
on: December 17, 2010, 03:25:18 PM
hi guys after reading alot of negative press around my area on knives ad the crack down over christmas i decided to look at an option for the weekend shopping and on my keys so that i dont feel like im naked or missing a body part from not having the climber kick or sideclip with me but also if i get stoped by one of these machines its alot less harmful looking and a sort of its been there for a while and hardly gets used but incase sort of thing than one of my full size.i thought maybe a style would do the trick for on my keys ive got a classic on there at the moment but just doesent feel usefull enough to carry so to cut a long story shot i bought two leatherman styles ha ones not good enough need a backup for no reason to be honest ha.hiopefully arrive next week somtime if they are crap and not upto the job ill have to look elsewere and they can go in the draw with the rest of the knives.
A

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: leatherman style any good?
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 03:32:19 PM
The Style CS, PS4 are both great options too  :tu:
SAW

gb Offline craigy

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 03:49:05 PM
yer i thought about the cs but its not much smaller than a 84mm victorinox with not as bigger blades etcand teh squirt is a small multi tool which is fine butim after just abit more out of somthing small.i only realy use pliers at work or on a job and i keep either the kick or core in the car so its always quite close to hand.its more just a phsycological thing that a classic isent enought but i want the same tools just a tad bigger to grip. if i need to use it and not look bad as just keychain jewelry if mr policeman stops me other  than that my climber would be the option even though fully uk legal i feel its still going to cause issues as an edc out of work and localy doubt therewould be an issue if i go to the lakes over the new year etc butfor going shoping etc i think im pushing my luck abit.
A

gb Offline craigy

Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 03:51:07 PM
what has the uk come to nowadays they even have you worried and feeling guilty about doing nothing wrong and being legal.to have in ur possesion somthing our are intrested in and love talking and finding out about sad realy. :cry:
A

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 03:58:34 PM
Alright people enough doom and gloom... if you're not happy in your communist country then move or work to change the laws (if you even have that right)  :twak:.  I'm getting sick of reading about every goddamn thing being illegal.  Let's all try to be a little more chipper for the holidays folks,  :pok: eh?

Happy Holidays  :cheers:
SAW

gb Offline craigy

Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 04:07:43 PM
he he yer im all cheerful even though i dont sound it ive got new goodies on the way a sharpmaker for christmas and about another 150 to spend off the missus but there is nothing i need because i buy everything myself  when i want it so ill have to get my thinking cap on ha. :drink: :gimme: :gimme: :gimme: :mail:
A

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 06:44:50 AM
I have not used mine. The mini has a small blade and full size pliers. It is great for legal carry.

Offline nbmaine2007

Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 05:49:36 PM
Love my Style CS. It's definitey not a regular size knife or multi-tool replacement, but it's a great tool for many every day uses.

gb Offline craigy

Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 07:36:09 PM
well they arrived today not opened the black one just the red one for now quality is good and well made blade even though chisel fground will do the job fine i dident want the cs as its twice the size and longer that the style which isent what i was after i want somthing that disapears compleatly.and that does the job perfectly maybe i may buy another and regrind the blade to make it abit more durable.wait till after chrimbo  for that though.
A

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 06:48:47 PM
I'd go with something from the squirt series.
little and light but has a lot of tools for how big it is.
very useful IMHO.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

gb Offline craigy

Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 07:34:41 PM
i ended up selling them as the chisel grind blade was no good for me perfect size weight tools i needed but blade was no good for me.it annoyed me as it always felt like it pulled to one side.
A

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 07:32:23 AM
How about a My First Victorinox it is 84mm and if you are stopped i don't see how you could get in trouble with the round tipped blade.

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/swiss-army/victorinox/swiss-army-knives/everyday/my-first-victorinox-plus

Mike

I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

nl Offline Desmodromic

Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 09:49:59 AM
I got my Style CS a couple of weeks ago and use it quite a lot. It's a great little tool with a small but sharp enough knife.
Someone who wants finds a solution
Someone who doesn't want finds an excuse

gb Offline craigy

Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 12:07:58 PM
How about a My First Victorinox it is 84mm and if you are stopped i don't see how you could get in trouble with the round tipped blade.

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/swiss-army/victorinox/swiss-army-knives/everyday/my-first-victorinox-plus

Mike

over hear you can get into trouble with anything never mind a knife.all be it ive never had any trouble with the police for anything never been stoped and searched etc so i wouldent know.but wouldent like to find out either think ill stay with my classic.
A

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 03:07:03 PM

Mike

over hear you can get into trouble with anything never mind a knife.all be it ive never had any trouble with the police for anything never been stoped and searched etc so i wouldent know.but wouldent like to find out either think ill stay with my classic.

better than getting in trouble I guess.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 10:30:56 PM
I got a CS a week or so ago and it's a decent little tool.  Bought it mainly because I wanted to be able to keep a decent pair of scissor handy.  Most of the tools I have have tiny scissors and I wanted something more capable.  The advantage it has over my PS4 is just that, the scissors, and that it's lighter, and has a better bottle opener.  The bottle opener on the PS4 sucks, and the scissors are too small.

Now though, I wish I'd gotten an S4; they're still out there and I'm still considering one, because it's got a flathead in it that the CS doesn't.  Although it still has the sucky Squirt bottle opener... I don't open bottles all that often though, so I suppose I could deal with it.  I just hope that if I get one it's not as heavy as the PS4.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 10:55:03 PM
I got a CS a week or so ago and it's a decent little tool.  Bought it mainly because I wanted to be able to keep a decent pair of scissor handy.  Most of the tools I have have tiny scissors and I wanted something more capable.  The advantage it has over my PS4 is just that, the scissors, and that it's lighter, and has a better bottle opener.  The bottle opener on the PS4 sucks, and the scissors are too small.

Now though, I wish I'd gotten an S4; they're still out there and I'm still considering one, because it's got a flathead in it that the CS doesn't.  Although it still has the sucky Squirt bottle opener... I don't open bottles all that often though, so I suppose I could deal with it.  I just hope that if I get one it's not as heavy as the PS4.

have you thought about a Micra?  Good scissors and far, far better screwdrivers than either the CS or the Squirt's.  Bottle opener is better than the Squirt's as well.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 07:54:23 PM
Hey Gareth,

Yeah, I've looked at the Micra, but I've heard they can be hard on the hands because of the way they're designed.  Not that I use them alot, but the built in tweezers on the Micra are a turn off for me too.  I'm a college professor, so my hands are well, to be honest... soft. 

I am very active without outdoors stuff, camping, biking, and hiking, but I don't use tools for a living like I used to (put myself through college working as a bike mechanic), and now that I'm older I kinda like having comfortable things.   ;)

I'll give the Micra another look though, and do some thinking.

PS: I've come to hate this place... In a good way of course... never had so many 'problems' figuring out what kind of stuff I 'need' to EDC!!! :D
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline fly104857

Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 01:52:51 AM
I love my "modified" Style. Its now a mini Skeletool w/ a serrated blade from a Gerber Vise and the screwdriver/file switched for the shorter driver off a P4.

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 02:43:55 AM
I love my "modified" Style. Its now a mini Skeletool w/ a serrated blade from a Gerber Vise and the screwdriver/file switched for the shorter driver off a P4.

Pictures?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 08:19:30 AM

Pictures?
Up here:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,25321.msg457429.html#msg457429
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 12:35:58 PM

Pictures?
Up here:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,25321.msg457429.html#msg457429

That rocks!!!  I would still want to keep the scissors, but the file... haven't used it once on mine so far... :P 

I've wondered though, why don't they make the stock blade in the Style CS a little bigger?  There's room in the tool for a blade that's about 1/4" longer, and a little thicker even...  I guess they just went with what they already had in production with other tools to keep the cost low.  I suppose on a tool in this price range, their margins are slimmer than with larger more costly tools.

us Offline Hammer

• Guardian of the Swamp
Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 10:35:05 AM
IMHO the leatherman Style is one of the best tools leatherman came up with.  The reason I say that is because it is always only seconds away from my hand.  I keep my truck key on it, so all I have to do is reach in my pocket and I have it.  I find the blade sharp and durable, the file useful for anything that snags, the screwdriver works well if used without a lot of torque applied, and even the tweezers work well for delicate work.  The scissors work well, too.  Not bad for a 2 and a half inch tool.  I find it light enough to where it has not loosened the ignition switch on my truck.
NRA Member
No Regrets!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59