Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Nite-Ize S-biners - POS

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Nite-Ize S-biners - POS
on: February 05, 2011, 05:11:45 AM
The incredibly weak spring lock on one of my Nite Ize S-biners cost me my keychain flashlight tonight.  Took my keys out of my pocket after getting home from dinner with my wife and it was gone, not in my car, not in the parking lot.

Pain in the ass...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Nite-Ize S-biners - POS
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 05:20:27 AM
I have been using one for my keys for a few years now without a problem.  Once in a while I find my keys slip off the S Biner because of a weak gate, but I usually clip them to my belt loop then put them in my pocket for added safety.  The chances of them both falling out of my pocket and the clip failing at the same time.  I'd also like to see a sturdier gate on them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 01:22:26 PM
The gate isn't very strong but I'm aware of that.  For dangling stuff within your pocket they are great.  They are also idea for quickly holding stuff out the way like awnings on tents. 

I wouldn't use one as a replacement for a keyring but I still find them a handy bit of kit.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 01:43:14 PM
This an old pic but my set up is still quite similiar. The gate that holds the keys etc. is actually glued shut :D

Works like a charm  :tu:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 05:07:15 PM
I have shrink tubing over one end and use the other to clip things which hang in my pockets so little chance of loss - sorry to hear about yours :(

I have a couple of the smallest plastic ones too and they are actually a lot better IMO.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline Silentsniper441

Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 10:54:57 PM
yeah the tiny(about 1 inch)plastic ones that come with the headphone cord wrappers have plenty of springyness to keep stuff on them

Edit: I just realized that you could pick up some small orings at the hardware store and put those aroung the gates to keep them from opening.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 11:03:00 PM by Silentsniper441 »
I

us Offline RFOneWatt

Re: Nite-Ize Key Rack
Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 12:07:19 AM
I use this Nite-Ize key "chain" and absolutely love it. I believe I paid $2.98 for it on E-Bay.

Sorry for the zoomed in pic -- I cropped it from a pic taken for a different reason.

http://www.niteize.com/products/key-rack

Want a free and easy way to share files between all of your computers & mobile devices? Install this now and thank me later! http://bit.ly/eL1KjV

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 02:00:01 AM
Sorry about your loss!

I love my nite-ize as well i use the above key chain one and no issues, but from your experience I will learn from it and keep an eye out for trouble.

Offline Gene

Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 08:19:15 PM
I have a couple of the smallest plastic ones too and they are actually a lot better IMO.

I agree! The larger gates are not very strong but the tiny 1" are.

I e-mailed NiteIze and they wanted $2.00 a piece for them. Like RFOneWatt did, I checked E-bay and got 2 complete keychain kits like his for around $10.00 and that included shipping.

The tiny 1" biners are great for organizing your keychain stuff!

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 06:48:20 PM
Well, after a pleasant conversation with a lady at Nite-Ize's customer service department, they rather generously offered to replace my torch for free.

Well, the carabiners still suck but the service is well beyond first rate.  Okay, they can have my money again.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 06:57:05 PM
Well, after a pleasant conversation with a lady at Nite-Ize's customer service department, they rather generously offered to replace my torch for free.

Well, the carabiners still suck but the service is well beyond first rate.  Okay, they can have my money again.

:tu:

Good to hear.   Sounds like they went over and above for you.   Sounds like a quality company to me.  :)

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 09:08:59 AM
I used one for 2-3 years with no problems. Can't say I found any fault in the springs.

I now have the "s-biner aaah" and I like it even better. Shorter gate, opens bottles, and the bump out bit that catches the bottle cap acts as a sort of key ring retainer. Hard to explain.

Great bit of kit!
G

Offline bquinlan

Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 05:01:53 AM
Nite Ize comes up with some interesting products and they do have outstanding customer service.  I use S-Biners for quite a few things, but only for applications where the S-Biner will be under constant tension.

I wish Nite Ize would make them with much stiffer gates, but this seems to be a common problem.  I've used plenty of non-locking carabiners with similar issues.

--Bob Q

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 03:54:34 PM
I use them in situations where the gate opening wouldn't be the end of the world i.e. I have a little split pea lighter and a fauxton clipped inside my day pack with one (from Bob  :cheers:) and  I use a large one for holding back the opening of the family tent (from Ben  :cheers: )

Thinking about that I've just realised I've never actually bought one :D  I always get them as presents.

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 04:57:15 PM
I have shrink tubing over one end and use the other to clip things which hang in my pockets so little chance of loss

That's actually a good idea... I might try that.  :tu:

So far, I haven't had any problems with my s-biners but if there are ways to make the clip even more secure, I'm all for it.  Glad to hear nite-ize solved the situation for you, jekostas. 
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 06:23:10 AM
Alright, last update - Nite-Ize did come through, got a lovely Fed Ex package to my door this morning with a brand spankin' new Inova T1 in it.  I'm not sure if the 2xCR123a format is for me, but it's a damned nice gesture by the company all the same.

ca Offline NaturalMystic

Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 07:23:30 AM
There's been several threads on various forums about the S-Biners and people losing stuff that was attached to them. I've got maybe half a dozen and only use one or two for keeping a few items clipped on the keypers inside the admin sections of my bags. I've had stuff fall off them even in there.
I've compared newer stock in stores with the ones I have and it does seem as though they've increased the tension on them but I don't plan to buy anymore. I find them still to unreliable. Their Figure 9s are pretty cool though. I've got several of those in my BOB along with their Carabiner Figure 9s.
Nigel

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 11:33:17 PM
I have had success with a piece of rubber tubing that I have cut to a good length to cover the gate and I have had sucess with a simple rubber washer that one would use to repair a leaky faucet slid between the gate and the item I wish to secure..

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline Agent_Ohm

Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 04:44:18 AM
from my experience with them the plastic models will have a stiffer gate than the metal ones.
In omnia paratus

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 12:19:23 PM
A little metal #1 came to the rescue the other day affixing the cloak for my son's fancy dress outfit round his neck.  Probably not what they were designed for but worked well :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%