Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Neck Knives

Offline Travis Autry

Neck Knives
on: March 14, 2011, 01:13:59 AM
In addition to my Multis, SAKs and other folders I like fixed blade knives.  Of late, I've been looking at neck knives.

Does anyone carry one regularly?  What experiences or opinions have you?

I have an old Newt Livesay Wicked Knife Company "Woo" that I carried and used enough to decide that I really didn't like single side bevels.  On the inexpensive end I'm thinking about a Boker/Magnum Pocket Bowie.  On the high end I'm looking at Essee and TOPS.

gb Offline rlocock

Re: Neck Knives
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 01:22:14 AM
Rightly or wrongly I would never consider carrying/wearing one.The chances of an accident either involving strangulation or a self imposed surgical proceedure are too scary to contemplate.
Obviously,this is a personal opinion.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 01:37:15 AM
I carry a knife around my neck a lot, even if it's not strictly a neck knife - I actually carry a Spyderco Ladybug Hawkbill in a repurposed neoprene thumb drive case.  It's very light at less than an ounce total weight so I don't really notice it.  I also use it all the time.

If you're worried about the strangulation thing, you can look at a Biotac or MercHarness system for carrying.  They're cheap, easy to copy and keep the knife/gun/etc. hanging under your arm and not around your neck.

If you're looking for a good quality, mid-range neck knife the Nemesis Hellion is very nice - plain edge or half serrated in VG-10 steel and you can find 'em on eBay for ~$40.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 01:40:41 AM
I haven't figured out a situation where a neck knife would be preferential for me.

What situations lend themselves to neck knife?  :think:

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 01:49:54 AM
I haven't figured out a situation where a neck knife would be preferential for me.

What situations lend themselves to neck knife?  :think:

Suit.  Very easy to access through a dress shirt and hides quite nicely under a tie.  Wearing a knife, even a small one in my belt or in my pocket is a massive no-no.

us Offline Inzelique

• If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer
Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 02:34:43 AM
I began wearing a Buck Hartsook with an Inova microlight attached for those times when i wasn't wearing anything with pockets.  I highly recommend the hartsook (or Smigen) and AG Russell's hunters scalpel.  Both are very light, have very secure sheaths and can easily be drawn one handed.  buy or make a lanyard with a break away buckle. I used the buckle from a cat's collar because I wouldn't wear a solid piece of paracord.I got a Boker Grasshopper (which i love) but can't wear it as a neck knife because the sheath is so tight that I can't draw it without snapping open the lanyard or using two hands.  The Pocket bowie is high on my wish list also.  As for why wear one?  ever try to get to a pocket knife sitting in a car with the seat belt on?  Or sitting in a recliner?  Personally I would"t wear anything as large as an Izula because its just too heavy for comfort.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 04:50:49 AM
I never carry F/B neckers , only ones I have neck carried are Vic Classics , Farmers , and a Strider PT ( my dive knife ).

Chris

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 06:19:06 AM
I like neckers but I can't carry them "on my neck" lol! I mean I can do it and it will work for me but after a few hours they really bother me.

what I like about neckers is you can carry them so many places, their size and the way they are made is for tight-places, like pouches, pockets, places other blades don't fit as easy.

so I have and carry a few on me most time, not on my neck but "hidden" places, like pockets and bags and in the car.

ScrapYard has finally released some really sweet neckers and is soon to release their ultimate CG (combat-grade/cheap!) model/verson.

they have released the LE (limited) "shinny" version (see attachment) and a colored one (pink of all colors) but any day now they will release the coated CG Scrapivore!

specs:
Steel: SR-101 Steel 58-60 RC
Blade: 2 3/4" Long
Overall Length: 6 1/2"
Thickness: Approx: 1/8"

lifetime warranty (for the blade, not your sick as....errr you can pass it down to your kids :P )

I have a thread about them and will update it when they release the CG model, should be under 50 or less! :ahhh

ScrapivoreLE_sm.jpg
* ScrapivoreLE_sm.jpg (Filesize: 102.7 KB)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 06:27:12 AM by WhichDawg »

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 02:25:56 PM
I carry a spyderco spot or swick around my neck a lot. I find I seem to like it. At first they seem heavy but afterwards they disappear. :D

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 04:38:00 PM
I wore one religiously for one year as an experiment. I would say that if your mode of dress precludes you carrying a pocket knife of some kind, this might be a good alternative. However, one must take into account the liabilities and legalities of carrying several ounces of steel around your neck for extended periods of time. It could prove uncomfortable in a couple of ways, especially when you enter a courthouse and forgot you were wearing it...oops.

The best ones are the smaller models - the Carson M4, the CRKT Dogfish or Stiff KISS (my favorite).
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 02:07:16 AM
I love neck knives.  I have a fetish for small fixed blade knives- I love them, and so many makers are cranking out "neck knives" nowadays that I have lots to choose from.  Some I even carry around my neck!

My current favorite is an orange serrated Neckolas from CRKT, which is such a perfect kayaking knife that I'm surprised they don't etch a teeny boat on the handle!  I wear this one around my neck and clipped to my PFD so it's always handy and secure.  Sometimes I swap out the Neckolas for an Outdoor Edge Wedge, which is also a great little neck knife for practically no money.

Back in the old days, when I was an impressive young specimen, working dangerous jobs in dangerous areas I used to always have a Cold Steel Para Edge Tanto under the glove pouch on my duty belt.  I kept it (and my gloves) in the center of my back so I could reach them with either hand in almost any situation, and I had the handle pointing down so it would be easy to grab but also so it wasn't overly visible.  The black handle only stuck out an inch or so, and virtually disappeared under the black glove pouch and against my black uniform pants.  Does that technically make it an ass knife instead of a neck knife?  :P

Anyways, I have quite a few small fixed blades, many of which were marketed as neck knives.  I like them a lot, but I rarely wear them unless I'm hiking, camping or kayaking.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 02:12:40 AM
I wore one religiously for one year as an experiment. I would say that if your mode of dress precludes you carrying a pocket knife of some kind, this might be a good alternative. However, one must take into account the liabilities and legalities of carrying several ounces of steel around your neck for extended periods of time. It could prove uncomfortable in a couple of ways, especially when you enter a courthouse and forgot you were wearing it...oops.

The best ones are the smaller models - the Carson M4, the CRKT Dogfish or Stiff KISS (my favorite).

Man I hope you meant a Carson F4 because the M4 is a large tactical folder.  Talk about a sore neck.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 02:13:50 AM
I've a Cold Steel Kiridashi, a Emerson Lagriffe, and a few other homemade neck knives
a friend of mine makes.  I wear them occasionally but keep them tucked away under
clothes as not to flop around or get snagged on things.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 04:19:27 PM
boss! "ass-knife!"  :rofl:

and ewwww!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 04:45:02 PM

Back in the old days, when I was an impressive young specimen, working dangerous jobs in dangerous areas I used to always have a Cold Steel Para Edge Tanto under the glove pouch on my duty belt.  I kept it (and my gloves) in the center of my back so I could reach them with either hand in almost any situation, and I had the handle pointing down so it would be easy to grab but also so it wasn't overly visible.  The black handle only stuck out an inch or so, and virtually disappeared under the black glove pouch and against my black uniform pants.  Does that technically make it an ass knife instead of a neck knife?  :P

I suppose... :-\

What are your sheath options?  :ahhh

us Offline David

Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 04:42:58 PM
In days gone by I`ve carried Emerson La Griffe, Fred Perrin La Shark and Hideaway neck knives. I didnt always carry them around my neck. Most were carried other ways. I have a titanium Hideaway that I did carry around my neck for several years and I seldom took it off.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 09:15:06 PM
I recently dug out my CRKT Neck Peck and starting wearing it around my calf.

My wife had an old elastic belt for an mp3 so I threaded it thru and the rest is history.

I don't plan on using it for self defense or anything like that (half the time I forget it is there)

I just like the idea of having a small fixed blade with serrations and a para cord handle. 
CIMG0414.JPG
* CIMG0414.JPG (Filesize: 67.41 KB)
CIMG0415.JPG
* CIMG0415.JPG (Filesize: 50.49 KB)
CIMG0416.JPG
* CIMG0416.JPG (Filesize: 37.36 KB)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:26:38 PM by Swiss Man »

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 12:30:03 AM
For me as a Driver a Neck Knife works well...Especially if I have an Accident and need quick access to a sharp Knife. Over the years I have worn on occasion as the Mood or Need fit a CRKT Kasper/Polwalski, A CRKT Crawford a rather small clip point desin(I am sorry the name escapes me) and as of late while Hiking out with my Son at Scouts or as the mood strikes a Buck Tiburon(Sometimes when a bunch of excited 10 Year Olds are darting around no point can be a good thing)..To me at least I feel it is a Viable way of toting a fixed blade if the end user feels that the location,style,size of knife works for them...I especially like it in Winter under an easily lifted sweater or under a jacket

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline David

Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 04:53:00 AM
I recently dug out my CRKT Neck Peck and starting wearing it around my calf.

My wife had an old elastic belt for an mp3 so I threaded it thru and the rest is history.

I don't plan on using it for self defense or anything like that (half the time I forget it is there)

I just like the idea of having a small fixed blade with serrations and a para cord handle. 

I forgot I`ve got a couple of those Neck Pecks also. Handy little knives.
Hold Fast

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 03:35:59 PM

Man I hope you meant a Carson F4 because the M4 is a large tactical folder.  Talk about a sore neck.

You are correct! I have an M4 and don't like carrying it in my pocket, I couldn't imagine hanging it off my neck :oops:
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 04:27:14 PM
I've been thinking about this.

When I go for long runs, I usually keep a small knife in the small pack I run with (usually has water and a gel pack in it too).  My thinking was to have it on hand if a dog attacked.

I suspect a neck knife would have been a better method of carry.

I'll have to see if any of the small Atwoods would work as a necker....

Excellent discussion in this thread, btw... :tu:

us Offline David

Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 05:14:35 PM
Mr. W the main problem with neck carry in a situation such as being attached by a dog is not carry but deployment. Neck carried knives are hard to deploy under stressful situations.
Hold Fast

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 01:24:33 AM
boss! "ass-knife!"  :rofl:

and ewwww!

I suppose... :-\

What are your sheath options?  :ahhh

Make all the jokes you like, but it was an effective and low key method of carrying a last ditch knife for when the poo hit the fan.  I had a few incidents where it came in handy- luckily none where it needed to taste a bad guy's innards though.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 02:03:13 PM

When I go for long runs, I usually keep a small knife in the small pack I run with (usually has water and a gel pack in it too).  My thinking was to have it on hand if a dog attacked.

now I would think if your not"trained" in using a blade for self-defense it will only help in "confidence" and attitude but not really in actual use.

I would consider "pepper-spray" instead. you can use it much easier and not get in trouble with the law and owners and not seriously hurt the animal or yourself  ;)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 02:24:14 PM

now I would think if your not"trained" in using a blade for self-defense it will only help in "confidence" and attitude but not really in actual use.

I would consider "pepper-spray" instead. you can use it much easier and not get in trouble with the law and owners and not seriously hurt the animal or yourself  ;)

Well, not trained in self defense, but I've done thousands of autopsies.  I know how to drop both lungs in a matter of seconds and can hit the aorta 9 times out of ten from the back.  Figured that would enough.   ;)

Edit to add:  Pepper spray is a good idea.  Not sure if it would stop a dog attack though... :think:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 02:25:54 PM by Mr. Whippy »

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 02:55:03 PM

Well, not trained in self defense, but I've done thousands of autopsies.  I know how to drop both lungs in a matter of seconds and can hit the aorta 9 times out of ten from the back.  Figured that would enough.   ;)

Edit to add:  Pepper spray is a good idea.  Not sure if it would stop a dog attack though... :think:

it does! we've used it to stop pit-bulls! it works buddy (some brands will stop a bear!) the stuff they sell now is really good.

you sound very competent with a blade! but I doubt your patients/subjects attack you, which is a different thing, the adrenaline and quickness of it (being attacked) is a very fast episode and training in that is very important if you want to use a weapon for self-defense, if only so you won't get hurt!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 03:28:00 PM

it does! we've used it to stop pit-bulls! it works buddy (some brands will stop a bear!) the stuff they sell now is really good.

you sound very competent with a blade! but I doubt your patients/subjects attack you, which is a different thing, the adrenaline and quickness of it (being attacked) is a very fast episode and training in that is very important if you want to use a weapon for self-defense, if only so you won't get hurt!
Awesome!

We have several pink canisters of pepper spray (given to the college age daughters/girlfriends).  Might need to put one in the bag.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: March 19, 2011, 03:33:57 PM
I bought a canister of the bear spray awhile ago, and feel alot more comfortable out
carrying it.  It would be my first line of defense on an animal attack, that and my
walking stick.  My knife would be probably pretty much my last resort if I was hauled
to the ground.  I'll tell you the one I've been carrying around lately and it is stunningly
fast deployment as was designed for is the TDI by Ka-Bar.

us Offline David

Reply #28 on: March 19, 2011, 04:39:44 PM
If your going to use pepper spray make sure you up wind of it or you will spray your self and not the dog. I`m not a big fan of pepper spray. Under ideal conditions it may work. But situations are seldom under ideal conditions. Defence like dressing for the cold should be done in layers.
Hold Fast

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #29 on: March 20, 2011, 01:51:43 AM
If your going to use pepper spray make sure you up wind of it or you will spray your self and not the dog. I`m not a big fan of pepper spray. Under ideal conditions it may work. But situations are seldom under ideal conditions. Defence like dressing for the cold should be done in layers.

IIRC, some people actually recommend wasp spray over pepper spray - it's also cheaper, comes in larger quantities, and probably isn't banned to carry in countries that ban pepper spray (I'm looking at you, Sweden, granted, I only know this because of The Millennium trilogy :)).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%