Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

That lights too small..................

Ashley · 37 · 4492

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
on: January 03, 2012, 07:31:58 PM
At work I was looking under the truck and the guy I was working with was on the other side. Well he says I need a light. I'm like I got one in my pocket. His reply was that things to small I need more light. So I pull it out and turn on max which is 210 lumens. He was like oh man that little thing is bright. So moral of the story its not always the size that matters. It gave me a chuckle so I thought I'd share.  :D  :rofl:

I carry a 4Sevens minix 123.

Light can be seen in this photo here from a couple of weeks ago. I love this little light.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: That lights too small..................
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 07:39:20 PM
 :D

I've had that response a few times too before I've turned a light on, and the response has been unrepeatable on this forum  :P Sometimes however I'll just have a small chep DX light on me which is still better than anything they've got but they're that used to me having impressive gizmos they start wimpering about how naff it is ... even when they haven't got one  :-\ You can't win with some folk. Well you can actually, turn it off and walk away - they soon come round to your way of thinking >:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 07:42:04 PM

Light can be seen in this photo here from a couple of weeks ago. I love this little light.

:D you got him jaw dropped.  210 lumens are a lot of lumens!
Have you got asthma or anything related? :(

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 07:44:30 PM
Yes I have chronic asthma. I'm on 3 different meds a day for it. Some days breathing becomes quite a task in itself.

gb Offline jamie.91

Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 07:58:25 PM
I also have a quark MiNi 123 and I've had that kind of response many times and it always puts a smile on my face :)

I also get that response with the light I'm carrying at this moment, a neutral tint xeno e03 running a 14500, about 400 lumen from something not much bigger than the quark
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 08:00:13 PM by jamie.91 »

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 08:02:26 PM
Here people aren't aware of high lm lamps... Most of them still living in (with) Maglite era. The ones that know about LED, are mostly users of China cheapos (lower end quality then DX) with 5, 7 or 9 5mm LED emiters... Not much people uses CREE LED. Even some of "wise" ones propose not much than 70lm, because what do you need more for?!?  :think: :think: :twak: :twak:

One day we are looking around a factory, so we need to look into some reservoirs, the guy carries handheld rechargable LED lamp with some 20-30 5mm LED's, something like this.

He turns it on.... And some dim light spills inside large (over 30m) reservoir... So I get out my single AA light... Turn it on, and... BANG!!!! Bright as in the middle of summer day!!!!! So the guy goes WOOOOOOOOW!!!!!! One more converted!!!  :D :D :D :D :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 09:54:32 PM
I had a similar experience with the bloke over the road: one night his car was having issues, and he and a mate were under it with one of those cheapy 9x5mm 3xAAA jobbies. I'd gone out to take my wheelie bin out, and wandered over to them. I offered them some more light, and out came my Mac's Tri-EDC (500 lumens). Out from under the car came the response "Geez, that's a proper one, isn't it?"

A friend of mine is big into 4WDing. I'd recently kitted him up with a Solarforce L2r ( only 200 lumens or so) and he was loving it. One night while out and about with some friends they heard some noises in a tree nearby. His mate whips out his enormous 12v spotlight and casts a dull glow in the direction of the tree. My mate pulls out the solarforce and has a go, making the beam of the spotlight almost disappear. My mate came back from his trip and asked me to order 3 more solarforces :)
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 12:54:04 AM
i had a very similar experiences with my father in law. i was at his over new years and we was going to take the dogs (2 his, 1 my girlfriends) for a walk when he grabbed his MASSIVE maglite from the shelf (i think its a D cell one). so we got down the road and he turned it on to light up the path and i cant see much more than before. so i said to him "i think its time you got a new torch", he reply's " there's nothing wrong with this one its a maglite". So feeling a little smug (as you would) i pull out my Fenix E11 to which he replies "whats that little thing gonna do?" (him thinking because its smaller it cant be better) as soon as it went on he just said WOW. ive got to get one of those.

so yes bigger isn't always better  :tu:
-----5hif7y-----

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 01:42:43 AM
I just told Mike about this thread and he laughed. He said well if that's the worse you say about me were good. :D

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 01:47:22 AM
Yeah I know the feeling. The other day I pulled out my modded 3p. Someone said small little thing...till I turned it on lol. Holy smurf! He said. Where'd you get that? I said CPF and told him about the modding community here and there. Anyway this single led pumps out a staggering 1000 lumens from a 1 battery configuration. Hehe.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 12:18:11 AM
Yeah I know the feeling. The other day I pulled out my modded 3p. Someone said small little thing...till I turned it on lol. Holy smurf! He said. Where'd you get that? I said CPF and told him about the modding community here and there. Anyway this single led pumps out a staggering 1000 lumens from a 1 battery configuration. Hehe.

whats the battery life like on that steve?
-----5hif7y-----

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 12:44:59 AM

At Christmas I got the same reaction  :D

I gave someone a cheap little MDXL, when it got dark they were 'Wow this is great'  :o

I then let them play with my ITP A1 SS    :o   :ahhh  'WOW!'

I like showing off  :-[ :D
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline jamie.91

Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 03:03:37 PM
One of my first lights was an MXDL from DX, it was so bright back then but the tint was horrid, So purple, I later turned it into a laser lol

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 04:19:25 PM
I like them a lot :D they get given out as gifts and I often use one at work, saves damaging/loosing one of my better lights  :tu:

Good for loaners aswell  ;)
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 11:25:32 PM

whats the battery life like on that steve?
Well right now I only run 1ximr16340. If I left it on it would run approx 10-15 minutes. Lol

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 07:01:17 PM
I love these stories.

Here's mine - I modded a 3D maglite for a guy at work. Not mega bright, just a few hundred lumens on high.

Some weeks later he told be he had been camping with his sons scout group. The little brats wouldn't go to sleep so the leaders and dads took them for a night walk. They told them all to get dressed and bring a torch.

Off he went leading the way walking with his modded maglite. He said he was really happy with the amount of spill lighting up the whole field. After a while he looked round to find everyone else had turned their torches off. When he asked why they said there was no pointwith his one lighting up everything!

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 07:25:31 PM
Good stories everyone. I really like being a show off with my toys.  :D

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 01:02:11 AM
I love these stories.

Here's mine - I modded a 3D maglite for a guy at work. Not mega bright, just a few hundred lumens on high.

Some weeks later he told be he had been camping with his sons scout group. The little brats wouldn't go to sleep so the leaders and dads took them for a night walk. They told them all to get dressed and bring a torch.

Off he went leading the way walking with his modded maglite. He said he was really happy with the amount of spill lighting up the whole field. After a while he looked round to find everyone else had turned their torches off. When he asked why they said there was no pointwith his one lighting up everything!

What mod is that? Does it cost much and is it novice/intermediate/expert? I have a 3D LED that I keep in the car, would love the boost in power.

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 02:51:47 AM
Google the Mag ROP mod (roar of the pelican). It's pretty straight forward and will give you a good 500 lumens :)

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 02:57:01 AM
Currently working on a 1d mag with 3 XM-L led. Should put out around 2100-3000 lumens :)

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 03:47:58 AM
Thanks for the info! Is there such a thing as lithium D-cells? Never have seen them before...

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 04:10:40 AM
Yep, they're called 32650's. I use a few of them myself.

us Offline moeman

Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 09:14:37 AM
Way back when Lummi first started I had bought one of the first aluminum twisties  he made and I was at a restaurant with my brother and his girl and a bunch of her friends, It was dimly lit and I couldn't read the menu so I pulled it out to read by.
Someone said something about the cute little light, So I turned it on High and someone else asked if that was LEGAL. Illegal flashlights.... I still chuckle.

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 10:21:57 AM
I carry a little single AAA mxdl 3watt at work and am still impressed by these cheap lights, mine is 20 times brighter than works crappy big plastic torch,  :D

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 11:39:43 AM
Currently working on a 1d mag with 3 XM-L led. Should put out around 2100-3000 lumens :)

:worthless:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 10:26:33 PM

:worthless:

Couldn't have said it better myself G! :clpa: :hatsoff:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 12:46:48 AM
I'm always amazed at how many people underestimate the tiny LED lights on the market nowadays.  When I work on the ships after dark the crew has these giant 6V lights- you know, the kind you kept in the trunk in the 80's:

These things put out a pathetic yellowy-orange light, so they aren't expecting much when I pull out my teeny Photon Proton, and they almost fall off the deck when it lights up not only the work area but a substantial amount of the area around where we are working!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline moeman

Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 02:36:23 AM
The Photon Proton Pro is one of the best-bang-for-the-buck AA lights out there and it gets NO respect. I was showing mine off at a Meet and Greet a couple weeks ago. at least one guy left and bought one.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 02:48:22 AM
Not for me- I can't keep one very long as people keep taking them.  My boss was so impressed with it that he's bought a couple of mine and ordered six more.

I've been carrying them for a few years now and I love them.  It's one of my all time favorite lights.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%