Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad by logging in.

Electronic Compass 3615

Multitool.org Main Site Manager Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 15,324
Electronic Compass
« on: April 18, 2012, 11:54:49 AM »
I acquired this at a local car boot sale last weekend.

Accurate to a degree and I like the fact you can preset declination.  Here's some more info.

A quick look at the Silva website doesn't show any electronic compasses in their current range.  I wonder if the market was too limited?

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.
Head Turd Polisher Administrator He who has the most nuts, wins! Posts: 55,918 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Electronic Compass
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 01:07:27 PM »
I think it's more likely that with the dropping cost of GPS units, coupled with most phones having built in compass software that it's too limited a market now.

Neat find though. If you go missing for a while we'll assume the batteries died while you were out walking in the woods!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 03:49:03 PM »
If you believe my boys, its more likely that the Gruffalo ate me :D

Battery life is stated as being five hundred hours and it only takes a single cr2032.  I can carry a spare without feeling too weighed down :P

The backlight would probably drop that figure considerably as its EL behind the screen and LED for the bubble.  Very low level though, just right for not mucking up your night vision.

I think your right about the falling price of compass enabled GPS units making a standalone magnetic compass not worth producing any more.

Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,866 SAK Surgeon
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 03:59:15 PM »
Ok I gotta ask, is a car boot sale the same thing as it is over here?  If someone says they bought something out of the back of the car *wink* its some guy selling merchendise of questionable origin.  Or is this more like a yard sale/garage sale from ones car?

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 04:05:20 PM »
Its like a flea market / yard sale.  Normally held in a soggy field on a Sunday morning at a time all civilised people are still in bed.  Its mainly full of old baby toys and second hand electric razors from 1982.  Occasionally you find something interesting :)

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 10,040
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 04:19:29 PM »

Its like a flea market / yard sale.  Normally held in a soggy field on a Sunday morning at a time all civilised people are still in bed.  Its mainly full of old baby toys and second hand electric razors from 1982.  Occasionally you find something interesting :)

+ rust  :rofl:

Everything’s adjustable
Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,866 SAK Surgeon
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 04:25:27 PM »

Ah gotcha!  I check our flea markets from time to time, but have yet to come home with anything decent.  Mostly it looks like people went to the garbage dump and put it on their tables with prices added.  Osccasionly i find old tools that look interesting, but i still dont 'need'. :D

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod Admin Team Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 15,073 I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 04:50:40 PM »
Perfect description Neil :D

A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 10,040
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 05:07:21 PM »

Ah gotcha!  I check our flea markets from time to time, but have yet to come home with anything decent.  Mostly it looks like people went to the garbage dump and put it on their tables with prices added.  Osccasionly i find old tools that look interesting, but i still dont 'need'. :D

Yep Garbage an rust  :D

Look at reply No 256 in this thread  :tu:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,20179.250.html#lastPost

Everything’s adjustable
Hero Member Posts: 844
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 02:53:36 AM »
Amici,
Unless I found one at a super duper price, I would be better off sticking with the free app thayt I use on my smart phone. Besides that, I prefer liquid filled casing any day.

Cheers,
Serge

'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler
Full Member Posts: 179
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 09:01:34 AM »
I acquired this at a local car boot sale last weekend.

(Image removed from quote.)

Accurate to a degree and I like the fact you can preset declination.  Here's some more info.

A quick look at the Silva website doesn't show any electronic compasses in their current range.  I wonder if the market was too limited?

This seems to be a perfect camping essentials without which you can be lost in dark forests.

If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!
No Life Club Posts: 3,351 Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 10:27:17 AM »
Now you'll have to get a Schrade I-Quip (electronic compass, altimeter etc) AND an MT as well  :pok:

http://forum.multitool.or....msg717406.html#msg717406

http://wiki.multitool.org...iki-index.php?page=i-Quip

babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."
No Life Club Posts: 2,011
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 08:49:40 PM »
Woah now that's a serious bit of thread revival!
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 06:45:37 AM »
This seems to a nice pick, but I doubt that it will not stay back in outdoors survivals. I prefer to use a compact and non-electric compass.

Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!
No Life Club Posts: 4,455 Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 03:04:08 AM »
Now you'll have to get a Schrade I-Quip (electronic compass, altimeter etc) AND an MT as well  :pok:

http://forum.multitool.or....msg717406.html#msg717406

http://wiki.multitool.org...iki-index.php?page=i-Quip

:tu: just order one  :mail:

No Life Club Posts: 4,455 Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 03:41:45 AM »
 :cheers:

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 10:53:54 AM »
How about this compass.

Looks a bit small.

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working! Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $75.00
PayPal Fees: $4.34
Net Balance: $70.66
Below Goal: $204.34
Site Currency: USD
26% 
March Donations

Community Links