Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Spirit X or LM Charge TTi

Poll

If you didnt *need* one but simply wanted one for the sake of owning one, at the same 65€ shipped which one would *you* buy as your 1st MT, or which of the 2 generates more joy in you, personally?

A Victorinox SwissTool Spirit model, e.g. Spirit X
49 (57.6%)
The Leatherman Charge TTi
33 (38.8%)
With this money i would buy some other MT which brings even more joy!
3 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 85

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
on: May 02, 2012, 06:08:14 PM
Hello i am newbie here (1st post!), so please forgive if i am posting in the wrong place..

I found the same lowish price (~65€ shipped) for both the Leatherman Charge TTi and the Victorinox SwissTool Spirit X. I am thinking that the Spirit has more functions and better looks while the Charge continues to be the more professional tool (heavy blades, better pliers, ..) and the nutnfancy reference. I am more inclined to the Spirit X, i like its punch/reamer, .. but it's more a feeling than anything else.

Please what's your take, opinion or experience? Which one would you clearly prefer (if they cost the same low 65€, just the tool with no extra accessories)? -- Thanks for some enlightenment!

Clearly, i dont have any experience with the two MT's and cant make a well-reasoned decision and since the subject (product comparison) is too vast and asked too much your simple vote shall be enough (with no further explanation from your part). In the end this is a feeler thread only in which i am trying to find out about your taste and likings and if there exists any consensus in the poll, and all i am curious about is your spontaneous subjective inclination towards one of the two tools, no matter if biased/unbiased.

Having said that, i'm voting for the Spirit X -- Thanks for your participation! :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:53:56 PM by kreisler »

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Victorinox Spirit X or LM Charge TTi
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 06:24:26 PM
Sounds like you're on the right track.  Let me know how you like that Spirit  :tu:
SAW

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 06:50:47 PM
This is a very loaded question! At the same price I suppose I would grab the TTi as I find Spirits price usually much lower. Ive seen TTi's in stores for crazy prices like $169.00. My Spirit cost less than $80. I have both and would not part with either although the pocket clip gets the TTi carried by me more often. The only way to do this is to buy both really, it's the MT.O way.

Stay multi my friends

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 07:06:14 PM
They're really two very different beasts. I would say, if you primarily cut soft materials and use the multitool as a knife a lot or need that lovely diamond file, go for the LM, in all other cases, go for the Spirit.

The stuff about the more “professional” tool is best ignored.

Yes, I am biased. I am also right.  :D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 07:11:57 PM
The spirit x is the closest thing that exists to multitool perfection.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 07:22:43 PM
Oh, and btw kreisler, you should probably have posted in the general tool forum if you did not want bias towards the Spirit, so you definitely posted in the right forum.  :angel:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 07:26:08 PM
Well I'm a building technician and I use my MT's professionally every day, and the Spirit X is my favourite all round tool. :)  While I don't have a Charge TTi I do have it's near cousin; the Wave.  I do like it but it sees a lot less use than the Spirit.

Oh and welcome to the forum. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 07:31:09 PM
I have, on more than one occasion, found things stated by Nutnfancy to be demonstrably wrong, so take his reviews with a grain of salt, and understand we all have biases.

And as to bias... just keep in mind that this is the Swiss Forum. That might sway judgment.
EDIT: Moved.

Sorry to say I own neither tool. I have the Leatherman Wave, and agree about the Leatherman file: best I've found with wood/metal on one side, and diamond on the other, which works very well. I am happy right across the board with the Wave's tools. The Wave has issues with ergonomics, and I assume the Charge does as well. The outside accessible tools dig into your hand while using the MT. The Charge has one hand opening blades, if that matters. With the bit kit, the Charge has a little more versatility in drivers.

The Victorinox tools I've tested (on swiss army knives, and assume the same quality in the MT) have all been great, with an exception that's probably a tool defect on a very old tool. I have a very old swiss army knife (pre-1991) that shows no sign of rust, and expect the same corrosion resistance from the high polish of the Spirit X, if that matters.

I think Steiner covered the issue of blade metal pretty well in his post.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:43:16 PM by Lynn LeFey »

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 07:39:37 PM
The Spirit is the most ergonomic , implement dense of the mid sized Multi's . The only thing the Charge/Wave family have over it is the Diamond file and OHO . For me , neither is an issue , I've hardly ever used the files on my waves and Charges , The file/hacksaw on the spirit has been used far more often . Since I always carry a dedicated folder , OHO isn't that important to me , for the many years I carried a Wave the only OHO tool i ever used was the serrated blade . It was reserved for dirty cutting , stuff like fiberglass banding tape etc.

Chris

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 07:41:16 PM
In the interest of getting kreisler both sides of the argument I'm going to move this thread over to the General forum. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 07:42:39 PM
Wow, great helpful comments. Yes let's ignore my comment ("professional"), no prob. In the poll more users have voted for the Victorinox, now i am thinking that it's maybe due to this forum section ("Swiss Forum") haha. Luckily i am not biased; a Spirit X can cost between 64 and 104€ on the WWW, and in retail stores the price is ~104€. A Charge TTi is in there between (ebay, plus customs or import taxes).

Let's reduce the scope of my initial question and simply collect votes to give an overview of your subjective taste and inclination. A feeler thread. Not really asking for in-depth comparisons. (The result of this poll might be the other way around if it was posted in the Leatherman forum section ;) )

To be honest, i will be using the MT only "at home", indoors or around the house with no specific task. Allround. I would never carry a Charge TTi or Spirit *with me* when leaving the house (well, i could.. they come with sheath/holster/pouch) because its meant to be a all purpose household tool with no serious intentions. It also means that i dont *need* any MT, because in the garage and elsewhere in the house i've got plenty of good and heavy-duty tools.

Or maybe let's ask this way:

Which of the 2 MT's generate more joy with you, personally?

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 07:45:00 PM
In the interest of getting kreisler both sides of the argument I'm going to move this thread over to the General forum. :D

Oh? You mean the wrong side as well?   :angel:

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 08:00:01 PM
I've gone with the Spirit, since you're only looking into "joy of owning"; the tactile feel and Swiss-like precision of movement of the Spirit's implements make it a real joy to fiddle with. That doesn't mean it isn't a utilitarian tool; I own both tools and have been EDCing the Spirit for the last few (>3) years. For the price you found them, though, I believe the TTi is a better choice; you can get Spirits for around that new-in-box, while TTis usually go for >$100.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 08:01:29 PM
The result of this poll might be the other way around if it was posted in the Leatherman forum section ;)

Nope, my answer is still the same in the general forum!  ;)

Considering I am heavily Vic biased, I guess it would be no surprise that the Spirit "generates more joy" for me.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 08:43:51 PM
Thanks for the welcome, everyone!
I've gone with the Spirit, since you're only looking into "joy of owning"; the tactile feel and Swiss-like precision of movement of the Spirit's implements make it a real joy to fiddle with. That doesn't mean it isn't a utilitarian tool; I own both tools and have been EDCing the Spirit for the last few (>3) years. For the price you found them, though, I believe the TTi is a better choice; you can get Spirits for around that new-in-box, while TTis usually go for >$100.
Yes, to me it's more/only about the joy of owning and playing and using it for its own sake: it will be pleasurable to use a luxurious MT instead of a cheap heavy-duty tool which is all rusty, ugly and not fun to work with. Fun, pleasure, joy .. (instead of real need) would be my main purchase motivation.

Nikos, your post is rather confusing :think: hehe

Anyway, ive edited the poll and OP to make things easier. Anyone with a clear mind :angel:, not only owners of either product, is invited to vote for his/her favorite MT between the two; may we find out which one is the more loved/popular!!

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 08:57:24 PM
both great tools, can't go wrong either way.
I own both.

Its hard to pick just one.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 10:35:22 PM
I own a Spirit with a butter knife blade and a Charge SLV which has the same tool layout as the TTI. They are both good tools, but I've voted for the Spirit as it's more fun to fiddle with.
Prone to daydreaming.

ca Offline sjian

Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 12:24:51 AM
I'd actually prefer the Charge AL over the Charge TTI.  I find the crimper takes away from the usefulness of the pliers and the gut hook is an annoyance on the serrated blade.  I have yet to see any swisstool spirits in person so I can't really comment on it, but I needed the charge for the mini screwdriver. 

If your main purpose is something just to fiddle around with and not do too much work, I'd get a gerber flik or wait for the leatherman OHT to appear.  The sliding plier design will get you hooked despite the tool being "adequate".  You won't get as much work done as you do with a leatherman or swisstool, but you'll open and close all the tools a lot more just for the sake of opening and closing the tools because it's that much more fun.
"The most dangerous tool is the user"

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 01:03:13 PM
Thanks for the welcome, everyone!
Yes, to me it's more/only about the joy of owning and playing and using it for its own sake: it will be pleasurable to use a luxurious MT instead of a cheap heavy-duty tool which is all rusty, ugly and not fun to work with. Fun, pleasure, joy .. (instead of real need) would be my main purchase motivation.

Nikos, your post is rather confusing :think: hehe

Heh, ok, here's the bottom line: Spirit X for the joy of it, Charge TTi because it's a steal at that price. :D

As the MT.o motto goes, if in doubt, get both (and then some...) ;)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 01:12:05 PM

You don't want a leatherman then as they rust.  The highly polished surface of the spirit ins't just for looks, its to provide no microscopic indentations for rust to ever start on.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 01:43:45 PM
The Charge is a good tool, the Spirit is an EXCELLENT tool!

The Charge does have it's place and there ARE scenarios where it would have the upper hand (diamond file, bit driver for non-standard drivers), but for everything else ... Spirit X, no contest!!!

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 01:46:56 PM
let's continue to collect votes to see what your preferred taste is in this community.

meanwhile, i found out that on ebay (stuff-4-men) the Charge TTi costs 75$ plus 17$ shipping (it's not global FREE shipping as i had initially thought) plus 19% import taxes for my country. That's about 110$ grand total, or ~83.xx€. Far far away from the 65€ of the OP, and it would never come into my mind to spend that much money on a tool which i dont really need and just want to fiddle with.

and seeing that amazonDOTcom has discounted prices for all Leatherman products with FREE shipping to U.S. addresses i shouldnt buy *any* LM product from abroad. paying ~twice as much as a regular U.S. amazon shopper does totally spoils the fun and joy.

i've checked the price trend for the Spirit and Spirit X too. In the past years (e.g. 2010 and 2011) the price went up (as it does now!) during spring and summer and then all of a sudden dropped by >10€ in fall/autumn and stayed low until after Xmas. It will be my pleasure to pay 54€ for the Spirit X (should be easier to sharpen the main blade than the butter bread blade of the regular Spirit) in fall if i am still in the market for premium MT's.

SAK's (Tinker Deluxe, ..) offer much functionality for the money --i am impressed-- and are even handier for RL tasks so i will look into buying one too/instead. Personally i would assume that the Spirit provides much more joy .. and i do have joyous experience with 5$ MT's from the grocery discounter (LIDL, ALDI, Germany). If i really needed a multifunctional tool, especially for EDC, i wouldnt hesitate buying a SAK. Since my main motivation is not actual need but pure joy of ownership (fiddling, fondling, playing, caressing haha, admiring, showing off, .. you get the point ;=), i'll most likely stick with the idea of a MT, and no SAK.

EUR-prices of Leatherman's are not enjoyable so i would wait for a friend to bring a LM from his USA trip if, after the Spirit, i still want another MT (for the joy).

If you guys can remember what you had paid for your copy of the Spirit (Spirit X, ..) or Charge (TTi, Wave, ..), please share. Nutnfancy mentioned "55US$" for the Spirit at the end of his video review.. wow. That's a great price!!  :gimme:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 01:51:22 PM by kreisler »

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 06:16:18 PM
If you do decide on the Spirit, you may as well contact Tim (Felinevet) here in the forums; he may be able to sort you out. You can also have a look at edcsource.com (I know there are at least two Spirits on there right now). You may also post a thread in the "tools needed" forum, but not many of us are willing to part with their Spirits... ;)

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 06:31:40 PM
The Charge is a good tool
(diamond file, bit driver for non-standard drivers),
And...
Needle nose pliers, ruler in the handle, --> Pocket Clip <--, lanyard ring, Eyeglass screwdriver, serrated blade.

Spirit X, no contest!!!
Charge scissors open wider :pok:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 07:10:21 PM
i found a few youtube videos which compare these MT's, which means that i am not the first in line who wondered about the superiority of one MT over the other. For serious MT use i would have to setup a list with priorities and most often used tasks. If OHO is on top of the features wishlist then the Spirit would lose from the very beginning and no further discussion possible hehe.

thanks Nikos for the links. i've created a WTB thread and the way i composed it i dont expect any Spirit owner to part.. ;)

ca Offline sjian

Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 10:56:20 PM
If you're going to compare prices, the leatherman wave is probably a lot closer to the swisstool X than a charge TTI.  To me it seems like the wave is 95% of the functionality of the charge, at 50% of cost. 

If I wasn't able to find my charge for $50, I would've probably went with a wave, since the lowest price I've seen for the swisstool locally is $115. 
"The most dangerous tool is the user"

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 12:29:54 AM
The Charge is a good tool
(diamond file, bit driver for non-standard drivers),
And...
Needle nose pliers, ruler in the handle, --> Pocket Clip <--, lanyard ring, Eyeglass screwdriver, serrated blade.

Spirit X, no contest!!!
Charge scissors open wider :pok:

All fair comments, Paul  :salute: I should clarify:
Personal opinion based on my own general needs ... Spirit X, no contest!!!

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 01:15:04 AM
All fair comments, Paul  :salute: I should clarify:
Personal opinion based on my own general needs ... Spirit X, no contest!!!

Understood Al :salute:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 04:23:21 AM
If you're going to compare prices, the leatherman wave is probably a lot closer to the swisstool X than a charge TTI.  To me it seems like the wave is 95% of the functionality of the charge, at 50% of cost. 

If I wasn't able to find my charge for $50, I would've probably went with a wave, since the lowest price I've seen for the swisstool locally is $115.
I agree, I think that's a much more realistic comparison. Still a tough contest of course.

Stay multi my friends

hk Offline pc61158

Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 04:57:38 AM
I own both tools, compare on price, Spirit X is more expensive than TTi in HK, USD$150 VS USD$121...

About which one is better, my answer is they are same, just depend on what you using for. I use Spirit X for scout training camp; TTi for pioreering camp and cycling.

For my Exp:

Knife, Serrated Knife, Screwdriver----> TTI is better
bottle/can openers, scissors----> Spirit X is better

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31