Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Loggerhead Immix 10X

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Loggerhead Immix 10X
on: February 17, 2008, 09:20:53 PM
I've been after one of these for awhile. It was mostly out of curiousity - the design doesn't seem like it would be very useful in my line of work. It took awhile, but I was finally able to find one at a deeply discounted price. MSRP is $59.95 on the Loggerhead Tools website.

Been playing around with it for a few days now. The construction is first rate. (Loggerhead bionic wrenches are made in the USA) And the design is kinda clever. More of a gee-whiz thing though really, as I can't imagine too many occasions where it will be helpful.  :-\

Top end on the wrench head is 9/16" (15mm) But in order to reach even this modest capacity the handles have to be spread far apart, limiting how much grip a person can get. And of course, there needs to be plenty of clearance around the bolt or nut in question.

Ten hex bits are included, and can be carried on board the Immix 10X (That's where the 10X name comes from) These bits can either be driven with the bionic wrench, or they can be driven with a hex receptacle in the far end. A magnet keeps the bits from falling free.

A couple of knife blades fold out from the other handle. One is a clip point, the other is a serrated sheepsfoot. Both look to be of decent quality, but I haven't used the tool enough yet to know how well they hold an edge. The knives are outside opening. Neither one locks open. They are comfortable to use, even attached to the big wrench body, which fit my hand surprisingly well. 

I see on the Loggerhead website that the 10X is now sold with a "nickel finish." Maybe that means the originals with black oxide finish (like mine) tended to rust easily? Time will tell. They also sell a 20X model, with twenty hex bits, but no knife blades.

Where would these tools be useful? Maybe on a bicycle, with lots of protruding nuts and bolts, most of them smaller than 15mm. Hard to think of anywhere else. The tool comes with a nice nylon sheath. I'm going to carry it around for a few days and see if any good uses for it crop up. Ya' just never know..... ::)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Loggerhead Immix 10X
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 09:38:34 PM
I have the Bionic Wrench... It is not something to brag about!
B

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 10:37:17 PM
That's a unique design. Don't think i've seen it before.
:like:    :MTO:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 08:56:21 AM
Great review Bob, that is a strange design though :-\, doesn't seem that the drivers will have much reach.
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 02:30:07 PM
Interesting- it even seems to come with two Robertsons!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 10:28:33 PM
Looks more like it would be limiting on the plier end. I guess you are right. I would be better for bikes and such.
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 12:50:40 AM
Bikes are about the only thing I can think of where it might be useful. However, there are a lot of bicycle-specific multitools out there that would do more, for less money. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 05:00:56 AM
I have to agree..very high on the gee whiz factor scale.I looked at the site,and there is quality in all their offerings.This one looks like this one of things that are done to prove that it can be done.
I

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD