Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Heineken??? Really???

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Heineken??? Really???
on: July 12, 2012, 05:20:14 PM
The official beer of the Summer Olympics :twak:

In a county with such a rich history of brewing they go with the biggest check. :rant:

Sad, sad...
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

de Offline Jmora

Re: Heineken??? Really???
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 05:33:45 PM
I believe Heiniken owns many of the major bavarian breweries and also guiness - so the national icons of many countries are in their stables so to speak.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:35:52 PM by Jmora »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 05:51:34 PM
http://www.london2012.com/about-us/the-people-delivering-the-games/olympic-partners/

:whistle:

The Olympics .... for two weeks, the worlds biggest billboard. Space available to the highest bidder. If tobacco advertising wasn't banned there's be an "Official Cigarette of the 2012 Games" too

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 05:59:54 PM
I believe Heiniken owns many of the major bavarian breweries and also guiness - so the national icons of many countries are in their stables so to speak.

I understand, Heineken is a mammoth, and owns 140 breweries in 71 countries around the world (but not Guinness last I knew, part is owned by Diageo and the Guinness family still owns 51%).

It just seems sad that a country that has been brewing beer since prehistoric times would have such a large conglomerate as the sponsor for the Olympics in their country

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 06:20:25 PM
That is the worst beer ever!

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 06:31:09 PM
The Olympics .... for two weeks, the worlds biggest billboard. Space available to the highest bidder. If tobacco advertising wasn't banned there's be an "Official Cigarette of the 2012 Games" too

I would buy Olympic cigarettes :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 06:37:40 PM
I think the official food is McDonalds...

No blood pudding, toad is a hole, fish & chips, Haggis...  :facepalm:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 06:58:04 PM
Heineken is an American slang for "oh smurf! We're out of Bud"

All joking aside, you would think they would have something more of the British culture.

I would buy Olympic cigarettes :D

Oh hell yeah!
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 05:06:54 PM
OMDG!

Apparently, unless you are a vendor selling a fish and chip combo, the only company that can sell fries/chips at the Olympics is McDonald's...

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 05:51:58 PM
... and apparently the fish and chips combination concession was only achieved after fierce negotiations  ::)

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 05:59:07 PM
I wonder if there are any more famous elements of UK life that they are going to rip out of your hands...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 06:31:50 PM
They say they wanted to bump the Olympics from every four years to every two because of the narrow window athletes have in their careers... the more conspiratorial aspect of my mind always thought it was so that they could make more money.

Judging by this thread the money argument seems to be gaining ground!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 06:36:38 PM
I wonder if there are any more famous elements of UK life that they are going to rip out of your hands...

Well that's food and drink already scuppered. Let's think ...

• Shooting events will probably be substituted with catapults or paintball guns
  • The blades on the bottom of ice skates must be folding, non-locking and under 3" long (I know that's Winter Olympics - but based on current weather ... )
  • Pole vaulters will need to conduct a risk assessment and be issued a permit to work under the work at heights regulations, and will also need to be fitted with the appropriate fall arrest systems and head protection. The harness lanyard would need to be excessively long for the run up and would therefore constitute a trip hazard, which means that any athlete using this equipment complying with this legislation would indeed be putting themselves at risk which is a breach of the Health and Safety At Work act 1974, and the Management Of Health And Safety At Work act 1992 (revised 1999) thus punishable by a prison sentence and a heavy fine.
  • Diving events will also be subject to the same legislation, but without the need for the extra long lanyard, so none of them will never reach the water and will no doubt be judged on the most artistic and technically correct dangling technique.
  • Olympic cyclists will need to negotiate pot holes, speed bumps and drunken chavs stepping out in front of them, and must observe the mandatory speed limits at all times.
  • The javelin and hammer will be seen as offensive weapons and all competitors will be arrested and taken away for a stern talking to and given community service cleaning the stadium as penance.
  • Fencing will cause chaos as the authorities will be expecting to see a display of high class carpentry by landscape gardeners
  • Any competitors seen carrying a handgun during the pistol shooting events will be shot

So in answer to your question - Nope, everything else will be as normal  :P :D :D :D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:40:08 PM by 50ft-trad »

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 06:39:31 PM
Isn't there going to be some sort of legal action because of the height discrimination against short pole vaulters?
 :whistle:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 11:37:14 PM

Well that's food and drink already scuppered. Let's think ...

• Shooting events will probably be substituted with catapults or paintball guns
  • The blades on the bottom of ice skates must be folding, non-locking and under 3" long (I know that's Winter Olympics - but based on current weather ... )
  • Pole vaulters will need to conduct a risk assessment and be issued a permit to work under the work at heights regulations, and will also need to be fitted with the appropriate fall arrest systems and head protection. The harness lanyard would need to be excessively long for the run up and would therefore constitute a trip hazard, which means that any athlete using this equipment complying with this legislation would indeed be putting themselves at risk which is a breach of the Health and Safety At Work act 1974, and the Management Of Health And Safety At Work act 1992 (revised 1999) thus punishable by a prison sentence and a heavy fine.
  • Diving events will also be subject to the same legislation, but without the need for the extra long lanyard, so none of them will never reach the water and will no doubt be judged on the most artistic and technically correct dangling technique.
  • Olympic cyclists will need to negotiate pot holes, speed bumps and drunken chavs stepping out in front of them, and must observe the mandatory speed limits at all times.
  • The javelin and hammer will be seen as offensive weapons and all competitors will be arrested and taken away for a stern talking to and given community service cleaning the stadium as penance.
  • Fencing will cause chaos as the authorities will be expecting to see a display of high class carpentry by landscape gardeners
  • Any competitors seen carrying a handgun during the pistol shooting events will be shot

So in answer to your question - Nope, everything else will be as normal  :P :D :D :D

:rofl: I just had a chance to read this through!  Ah, the English sense of humor.......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 12:39:54 AM

I really tried to not do it, but I couldn't resist...

:D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 01:06:57 AM
Heiniken dont brew beer,but if they did...

As a tangent to Als post re the shooting events:
1)rather than invest in Bisley,home of world shooting,they have built a crappy tempary facility at Woolwich.This is like holding a castity drive in a brothal!
2)British free pistol competitors could not train in the UK because of the UK hand gun ban
3)there are moves afoot to replace the free pistol,and air pistol/rifles with lasers...

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Oh and as someone living and working in London,no I'm not excited or interested,just deeply disapointed in the contemtious manner in which the tax pating citizens of this city have been treated by the IOC,the Bid committee and the whaole bang shoot of them.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%