Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Back from vacation with some old rusty treasures

J-sews · 19 · 4620

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
on: August 12, 2012, 06:33:34 PM
We just got back from a week's vacation in Michigan's upper peninsula. If you've never been there, its about as close to heaven on earth as you can get. Beautiful scenery, unspoiled countryside, and (away from the tourist traps) hardly any people. Perfect, IMO. They also have plenty of neat antique dealers, mostly selling old junk, but with a few treasures here and there for those willing to root around in the corners.

So here's a bit of what I hauled home:

The wrench on the right is my first S-shaped one ever. Not a "multitool" per se, but it was old and made out of metal, so how could I say no? ::) :D  Only thing is it doesn't have any markings on it, so I don't know who made it. Dang.

Second from the right is this old alligator wrench, with two different size openings, three threading dies, and a screwdriver sticking off the left end. It's about 8 and a half inches long:

Third from the right is this crazy hammer, which has an alligator wrench on the top, some sort of claw or stove lid lifter opposite the hammer head, and a screwdriver at the end of the handle. The only markings on it is the word STEEL, cast into one side:

Next is this set of pliers with a wrench at the end of each handle. It is stamped Efficiency Tool Co. One wrench is 1/2", the other is 5/8". The handles come apart so both wrenches can be used at the same time.

Next up is this big tool with a ratchet mechanism. I thought it was an actual socket-ratchet when I bought it, but then some old guy (anybody older than me is an old guy) :D told me it was a drilling ratchet, for drilling holes.

Last up is this Eifel plier-wrench, which came with a tattered cloth pouch. The real treasure was inside the pouch however, where the original instruction pamphlet was still folded up.

(thinking about changing my name to Tony) :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Back from vacation with some old rusty treasures
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 06:51:02 PM
 :o  What a great good haul Bob.   :tu:    8)   I really like that pair of pliers with a wrench on each handle.    :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 06:58:42 PM
Neat, this is the first time I've ever heard of a drilling ratchet.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 07:09:06 PM
some interesting stuff there Bob nice one mate ,and glad you had a good vacation  :salute:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 09:30:47 PM
I've seen one of those S shaped wrenches in my grandfathers tool chest years ago. I'll go search for it, maybe it's still somewhere.

The ratcheting drill may be a part of an hand drill as seen below. I have one of those in my workshop.

The tool that I like the most are the wrench handled pliers. They look like they can be moved to the second pivot point for grabbing bigger screws and disassembled at the lower hole to use the wrenches individually. Great concept. :tu:

(thinking about changing my name to Tony) :D

:rofl:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 10:29:15 PM
Nice cluster Bob  :tu: I really like that plierench  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 10:36:35 PM
Well, I've done a bit of googling and learned a few things. :) The wrench-handled pliers were patented way back in 1923 by this fellow from Wisconsin USA:

And they sold for $1.75 at that time:

photo by John K of papawswrench.com

And the ratchet drill is called a Packer's Wrench, or Packer's Drill. It was used in the construction of large buildings, where it was used to drill large holes through the flanges of steel girders. The girders were placed in position, the packers drill was used to drill a hole through both flanges, then using tongs a worker would install a white hot rivet through the holes. While it was still hot, the protruding end of the rivet was then peened over, making the joint permanent. (I didn't know any of this until today) :)

You can get an idea of how the packers drill works from the last photo, taken from a 1901 advertisement:

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 10:40:58 PM
That's some really great plier-thingies you got yourself there Bob.. :tu: But now you made me browse around for old pliers too.. :twak: Must be some sort of "Tony'ism".. :think: :D

Sent from my Iphone

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 11:07:44 PM
That ratchet looks very interesting  :tu:

Hey what do you mean? :think: I leave you lot alone for a couple of days and look what happens  :D
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline David

Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 07:12:45 AM

Hey what do you mean? :think: I leave you lot alone for a couple of days and look what happens   :D

:D    :D    :D
Hold Fast

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 07:22:01 AM
Bob I like the hammer 8) 8), the crocodile tool (I have resisted buying one :ahhh) & the Efficiency Tool  8) 8). Nice haul Bob  8) 8)

Hey what do you mean? :think: I leave you lot alone for a couple of days and look what happens  :D

Tony I bought a nice FootPrint adjustable wrench yesterday & now I need to buy some vinegar  ::) :twak: :twak: :twak: :D :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline David

Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 07:30:02 AM
Bob, finding the instruction sheet with the Plierench was a real nugget. It sure is sweet when those little things happen!    :)
Hold Fast

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 08:08:32 AM
Bob, finding the instruction sheet with the Plierench was a real nugget. It sure is sweet when those little things happen!    :)

+1

Bob I like the hammer 8) 8), the crocodile tool (I have resisted buying one :ahhh) & the Efficiency Tool  8) 8). Nice haul Bob  8) 8)

Tony I bought a nice FootPrint adjustable wrench yesterday & now I need to buy some vinegar  ::) :twak: :twak: :twak: :D :D :D

I didn't know you could get them in Oz Mat  :o

After they come out of the vinegar and you wash them off, oil immediately  ;)
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 01:18:07 PM
Wow, they look like the multitool equivalent of deep sea creatures  :o

Great haul Bob :cheers:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 03:20:57 PM

I didn't know you could get them in Oz Mat  :o

After they come out of the vinegar and you wash them off, oil immediately  ;)

Tony you would be surprised what Ol Blighty sent down under  :o :D :D. A lot of my dad's old tools that he inherited from my grand father were made in England. Even some of my toys I had growing up came from the UK  :o :o. Not so much comes down under now days though  :think:.

Tony you would of been proud of me , the FootPrint was covered in rust but I could make out the trade mark on the tool's original adjustment bolt  8) 8). I said 'How much for the Footprint mate'? Fella gave me a funny look , not sure he understood what I meant by saying Footprint  :D :D. I was a little excited & when he said $5 I didn't even haggle  :oops: :D :D , I would of gone up to $8 so I was happy  :D :D

2 litres of vinegar does not go far when treating old tools  :think: :think: 
Getting lots of 'what is that smell' from the family  ::) :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 10:24:14 PM

Its good that you found a pair, saves me from sending you some  :D

I did read that adding a handful of salt makes the vinegar work better  :shrug: I will try it when I get a min  :tu:

Don't forget the 'vinegar rust juice' (vinegaroon?  :think: ) will stain anything it touches  :ahhh
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 04:18:34 AM
Thanks for the heads up about vinegaroon being a nasty stainer, but one of these days I will probably find it out the hard way anyhow. ::) :P The old chap at work swears that toilet bowl cleaner is an even better rust remover than vinegar, but I'm suspicious. :think: Think I will try it on some old barn nails first just to be safe. :o :D

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 10:17:27 AM
Thanks for the heads up about vinegaroon being a nasty stainer, but one of these days I will probably find it out the hard way anyhow. ::) :P The old chap at work swears that toilet bowl cleaner is an even better rust remover than vinegar, but I'm suspicious. :think: Think I will try it on some old barn nails first just to be safe. :o :D

I have just googled it, Its good for leather, wood......... T-shirts and white kitchen worktops  ::)

http://graybear.com.au/vinegaroon-black-leather-dye/

Everything’s adjustable

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 12:37:33 AM
Looks to me like you need to go on vacation a lot more often Bob!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $10.00
PayPal Fees: $0.67
Net Balance: $9.33
Below Goal: $290.67
Site Currency: USD
 3%