Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which Wengers are you going to buy (or have bought) now that the brand is dying?

Smaug · 82 · 9136

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
We mentioned it in different threads, but may as well have a thread just for this, as it will be a big topic for the next year or so.

Which Wengers are you going to get and why?

For me:
  • Pocket Toolchest: Don't have a small Wenger yet, and like their springless scissors. Small drivers also seem nice.
  • Maybe an SI. I already have an old school Vic Soldier, but to have this as an investment piece may not be a bad idea!
  • Clipper: As feminine as it seems, this is a useful tool to me. I type at a computer all day long, so having trimmed fingernails from my SAK is a nice thought. This is one tool that may not make the Victorinox cut.
  • Biker 37. This will not make the cut. Gotta have one.
  • Minathor 50 watchmaker's knife. I'm into watches too, and this one won't make the cut. It's got to be a low-volume model, esp. at this price.
  • Fisherman. I like this better than Vic's, because of the better hook pulling tool, better scissors, and what looks like a flat phillips.
  • Matterhorn. This will not make the cut, and has one of the rarest combinations of tools, esp. with dual phillips' and a whistle!
  • Evo 16. I like my Super Tinker so well, and also my EvoGrip S16, but I have to admit that the lock release does sometimes get in the way, and that the grip inserts are not really necessary 99% of the time... I also like the 85mm package size better 'n the 91mm Super Tinker.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
I'm not doing anything different.  The ones I liked before I'm still looking for.  I might pay a little extra like I just did for an older one in good condition.  There has been one I've wanted, but since there are lots of others I've been putting off the purchase, I may buy it now rather than waiting... but since no one else has been in a hurry to buy it I'm not sure there is extra pressure to purchase it.

There is still much information we need to know about the transition.  For eaxample; I'm guessing the Clipper is a very likely candidate to be integrated into the Vic line in some way, even if not exactly the same.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Let me say,

The Biker 37 (previously the Large Mountain Bike) is an EXCELLENT SAK. The chain breaker and removable wrench is sheer genius.

The Minathor 50 is also an excellent knife but limited in many ways to watch work.

(I have one of each and now I'm torn as to whether I continue to use them or not.. :ahhh :ahhh)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
I may buy a couple of Travelers just in case but that's about it. Most of the models I really like have been discontinued ages ago anyways so this doesn't change a thing. I have most of the models I like already. And the Ranger I want is a bit out of my price range.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
I've got an Evo 88 on order right now, and next week I'm planning on getting an S14.  I'm considering getting one of the biker models too.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

nl Offline Wootz

I'm not buying any Wengers  :facepalm:

In fact, 6 months ago I gave my one and only (wenger grip) to my best buddy.

I owned one other Wenger before in my life, as a little boy. Christmas gift from my dad. The biggest, fattest he could find :D It was my very first swiss army knife. After years of proud carrying, I lost it..

Wenger you're gonna be missed.  :salute:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
My suggestion: If you're looking for an 85 Wenger for collection purposes, the S557 is an excellent one. :tu:

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
I think I'll get a tool chest plus. Then I will have the majority of their tools. Of course I will remove that ridiculously thick compass thing! Then it will be about the same thickness as a swisschamp.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
I think I'll get a tool chest plus. Then I will have the majority of their tools. Of course I will remove that ridiculously thick compass thing! Then it will be about the same thickness as a swisschamp.

I did just that.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
I fancy a Pocket Tool Chest as I love small tools.... can't seem to find a cheap one over here yet.

I'd also like to pick up an S557. Tim's got an Evowood one I think :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
I like the GigaHz Mod of removing the navigation/orienteering tool (ruler compass).

us Offline TMFKAMJ

• Uh... I'm back to look around
My suggestion: If you're looking for an 85 Wenger for collection purposes, the S557 is an excellent one. :tu:
+1 :tu:
hi

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Im waiting for a Wenger SI and a Ranger 66 to arrive in the mail.
I wonder if Vic will continue Wengers collaboration with Mike Horn?
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline TMFKAMJ

• Uh... I'm back to look around
I doubt it, as that was a more adventurous type thing, which vic doesn't seem to be into
hi

hu Offline borgwarrior

• Wait,what?
Ordered an SI, and a Blackout 10. So far...
Small collection of SAK's, (but growing rapidly. :D) not so fast at this time. :( And the most important of all: Ze Zuper Zoldier by Steve!  :ahhh
Wishlist for 2014: Rangergrip 88, Victorinox: CT41, Spirit X BO CC, Swisstool X BO, Some limited Alox stuffs and so on

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.

Nice... got a good priced EU supplier? :D :pok:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Minathor, pocket toolchest, and one of each new ranger I dont have....

Good way to boost sales Vic... scare me!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline TD90S

Just received a S16, had my eye on them and used the recent news as an excuse to buy. May look for a SI but that will be it for me.

hu Offline borgwarrior

• Wait,what?

Nice... got a good priced EU supplier? :D :pok:
Actually no. I only saw 60, and I didnt check the currency, the last few orders were from the US. So I assumed it was $. It wasnt, but I already won the SAK, so I paid 60 euros (not too much of a difference, only 30%, and of course the $ is the cheaper when converted to hungarian forints)...  :facepalm: :facepalm: An hour later I asked my friend to change my paypal accounts password for a month and do not tell me no matter how hard I beg, threaten or ask. :facepalm:

Edit:
The story is about the blackout, the SI has been bought here in Hungary.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:43:54 PM by borgwarrior »
Small collection of SAK's, (but growing rapidly. :D) not so fast at this time. :( And the most important of all: Ze Zuper Zoldier by Steve!  :ahhh
Wishlist for 2014: Rangergrip 88, Victorinox: CT41, Spirit X BO CC, Swisstool X BO, Some limited Alox stuffs and so on

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
I wrote it before; I'm not sure if I'll do it but the Evo or Evogrip S557 and the Ranger (Rangergrip, Harwoods or AP Blaze) 57.
Both contain 57 by coincidence.
On the other hand I believe in Victorinox. I might wait and see what they'll exploit out of Wenger design and patents.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club

Your mention of Mike Horn actually reminded me to the fact that the blunt nosed serrated blade is unique to that model only. If it gets dropped - then those left holding a Horn variant should consider themselves very lucky indeed.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

de Offline crackout

I got myself a SI.

Say my name.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
I ordered a few that I did not have for the sake of buying new from a regular store while still possible. Stock pics as I haven't received them yet:
5019-686_BK000_view1_720x720.jpg
* 5019-686_BK000_view1_720x720.jpg (Filesize: 43.15 KB)
5023-339_RED00_view1_720x720.jpg
* 5023-339_RED00_view1_720x720.jpg (Filesize: 54.36 KB)
5029-222_REA01_view1_720x720.jpg
* 5029-222_REA01_view1_720x720.jpg (Filesize: 62.11 KB)

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
And also going for some thin colored red and blue Wenger alox like these and a similar Watchmaker 85:

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
+ Situation not changed for me regarding the vintage Wenger SAKs that were already out of production... some of such I was and still I am looking for, although I do not collect Wengers, just getting a bit of taste of them.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 08:31:02 PM by Marius »

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
I'd ordered the AP10Blaze before I read the thread about Wengers demise.

The S557 is now looking like a priority...can I justify an EvoWood?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline The Shadow

After hearing this news I ordered a RangerGrip 179 Patagonian Expedition Race Knife.  I like one hand opening knives and didn't have a Ranger.  It's a cool looking knife and I didn't want to miss out on this one.

Doesn't take much arm twisting to get me to order a new toy anyway...
Who knows...

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
After hearing this news I ordered a RangerGrip 179 Patagonian Expedition Race Knife.  I like one hand opening knives and didn't have a Ranger.  It's a cool looking knife and I didn't want to miss out on this one.

Doesn't take much arm twisting to get me to order a new toy anyway...
I got one about a year and a half ago, and did a review for it.  Here's the link if you're interested.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36573.0.html
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline The Shadow

I got one about a year and a half ago, and did a review for it.  Here's the link if you're interested.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36573.0.html

Thank you! Glad to see you gave it a good review. The comparisons with the 111mm SAK were helpful as I've got a 111mm Outrider. Looking forward to receiving this BIG knife!
Who knows...

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Normally i don't collect Wengers, i have only 3 old ones, that it was impossible not to buy them when i saw them.
But now that i know the bad(?) news, probably i will buy (if i have the funds) one knife from the Ranger serie, like the Alinghi SUI1 or RangerGrip 90, two from the EvoWood serie, like the EvoWood S557 and the RangerWood 55 and maybe one SI.
But all together the cost a lot of money, so maybe i will go just for the two from EvoWood serie. :(

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%