Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How often do you see people carrying multitools?

enki_ck · 113 · 12953

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: How often do you see people carrying multitools?
Reply #60 on: April 27, 2013, 12:33:02 AM
I always like it when i see a grizzled old trade with an ancient well used non locking gerber mp on him. I see quite a few old beat up ST and PST sheaths on the electricians.
:like:    :MTO:

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #61 on: April 29, 2013, 10:24:50 AM
Now I think of it, that geek might have been Nikos or Firiki.
I've seen many Victorinox SAKs and a few Wengers here though, most are Spartans, Climbers, Huntsmen or some kind of 58mm.

Nope, not me I'm afraid... :-\

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #62 on: April 29, 2013, 11:05:03 AM
OK, so now we know that there is at least one more Geek in Greece. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #63 on: April 29, 2013, 01:45:55 PM
I'm glad it's all settled then. :tu: :D

gr Offline Aleister

Reply #64 on: April 29, 2013, 02:44:44 PM
OK, so now we know that there is at least one more Geek in Greece. :D
:D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #65 on: April 29, 2013, 07:38:49 PM
I have been around the construction trades for the last decade and didnt notice any MTs in use or on belts however i just may have not payed much attention.  i do see quite a bit of pocket clips which seem more likely knives. 
I recently had a client who had a perfectly new (non bit driver) wave in his garage, when asked to see it he seemed oblivious he had one. It turned out his daughter bought it for him and he just placed it in his garage ( poor tool ).  I showed him my new version (with the bit driver) but he didnt seem interested so i continued on with my work.  I have gotten my 2 friends interested in MTs and SAKs and both have a couple each.  Its nice to know they get used and are appreciated by these women.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #66 on: April 29, 2013, 08:08:13 PM
I have been around the construction trades for the last decade and didnt notice any MTs in use or on belts however i just may have not payed much attention.  i do see quite a bit of pocket clips which seem more likely knives. 
I recently had a client who had a perfectly new (non bit driver) wave in his garage, when asked to see it he seemed oblivious he had one. It turned out his daughter bought it for him and he just placed it in his garage ( poor tool ).  I showed him my new version (with the bit driver) but he didnt seem interested so i continued on with my work.  I have gotten my 2 friends interested in MTs and SAKs and both have a couple each.  Its nice to know they get used and are appreciated by these women.   

Oh how it pains me to hear that someone has an Original Wave and it's just sitting in his garage unloved :( >:(  If I had it, it would be getting plenty of attention ;)
K-Tibbs

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #67 on: May 02, 2013, 01:42:47 AM
Monrogue - i share the same sentiments

here in he philippines I see a lot of folks with knives often, but rarely any MTs. the only time i see MPs is when I go to a local outdoor/survival outfitter
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #68 on: May 02, 2013, 02:24:16 AM
I see almost half the people I work with carrying one. If not, they know me by now, and usually ask "what's that t-shirt your wearing?"  I answer with look me up by my user name. Usually a couple days later they come asking about tools, saks, and flashlights. I've already repaired several things for different people. They ask, what do I owe you? The answer is always the same. Nothing :). It's the way I roll for friends. The rest is history  :lovemto:
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #69 on: May 02, 2013, 02:44:39 AM
I see almost half the people I work with carrying one. If not, they know me by now, and usually ask "what's that t-shirt your wearing?"  I answer with look me up by my user name. Usually a couple days later they come asking about tools, saks, and flashlights. I've already repaired several things for different people. They ask, what do I owe you? The answer is always the same. Nothing :). It's the way I roll for friends. The rest is history  :lovemto:

now your talkin'  :cheers:
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #70 on: May 02, 2013, 02:54:49 AM
Long Time,no posts in a few months. Great thread here. Im quick to spot sheaths on folks now.  Out and about I see some. Hardware stores mostly.  Hell I can name what the old timers use at work. Waves,PST's and a swisstool carried in a molle sheath.  The best by far is the cute Stewarts  girl packin a skeletool in her sugar britches. Also a lot  L E O carry MT's I have noticed. I guessing there I see molle sheaths I assume MT. the PD here look like full time swat. not peace officers. :facepalm:
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #71 on: May 07, 2013, 06:10:51 AM
Every day and I work in an office.

Although, I work in an office with a bunch of guys who also believe that so long as no one goes out in an ambulance, even a bad day in the woods/shop/range is better than any day in the office.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #72 on: May 07, 2013, 11:39:04 PM
Spotted a Police Constable standing outside our Parliament building with a Supertool (or ST 200 perhaps?) in one of LM's fab old leather sheaths.

us Offline Hypnos3510

Reply #73 on: May 12, 2013, 08:45:15 PM
Pass few weeks I have been seeing more and more including 8 in one day.  :o

gb Offline Likeablefish

Reply #74 on: May 12, 2013, 11:55:52 PM
I clocked a handyman working in Asda with a beat up original wave on his belt the other day  :D

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #75 on: May 30, 2013, 06:21:39 PM
I always like it when i see a grizzled old trade with an ancient well used non locking gerber mp on him. I see quite a few old beat up ST and PST sheaths on the electricians.

I just saw a similar thing yesterday.  The owner of an office furniture supply company that we use here was in yesterday setting up some things.  I talked to him briefly as I had ordered a couple of the items he came to set up.  I noticed as he turned around to leave that he was sporting a beat up looking sheath.  It looked like the old Leatherman PST type sheath that has seen years of wear.  I didn't get to ask him about it, but when I see him again I hope to do so.  I'm assuming he had a PST as I don't know of any other MT that would fit in such a slim sheath. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: May 30, 2013, 06:27:21 PM
Aaaallllllll the time. Among entertainment technicians its something of a pissing contest to compare multi tools.  :P
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #77 on: May 30, 2013, 06:41:44 PM
Aaaallllllll the time. Among entertainment technicians its something of a pissing contest to compare multi tools.  :P

That's gotta be a good time. The only other time I see that is well... here. Again the old timers at work have old waves and pst's with aarp gripes. Not the passion of a MTOer
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

us Offline Agonistes

Reply #78 on: May 30, 2013, 07:42:33 PM
i see a whole lot of them around the shop especially.  almost every customer i have ever had who works in rescue, fire, emt, that sort of thing has some sort of MT on his person, belt, or, if he's a sharp dresser, in his truck.  when the fort was open here, you didn't really SEE them on a soldier, but they would appear in hands all around you if you said, 'does anybody have a phillip's head?'

civilians carrying MTs, depends on the job, really.  just about everyone's got some sort of knife, you can't go to a gas station without seeing a box of them for sale at the counter, but usually the guys who are capable have some sort of belt-carried tool.

i've even seen many females, including my stepdaughter, hang their (gifted) MT off such a giant keychain that it makes you wonder how their car ignition hasn't just fallen out.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #79 on: June 08, 2013, 07:55:38 PM
A little while ago at the store I used the scissors on my Yeoman to cut a coupon for a customer.  She saw me doing it and said, "Oh!  I could have done that!" and pulls a Climber with a grooved corkscrew out of her purse!  :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 08:09:29 PM by jerseydevil »
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline killroy360

Reply #80 on: June 08, 2013, 08:28:24 PM
i live in a relativly rural store so at work i see customers all the time with PST's and Blasts. most are farmers or road workers. despite this after allmost 40 years on the farm my father still refuses to use one. he says theyre just to heavy for him.. :think:

us Offline deputy tom

Reply #81 on: June 10, 2013, 12:54:24 AM
Very often and especially on the weekends. tom. 8)
Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus ceòl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: June 10, 2013, 06:27:33 AM
Practically never. Usually only a couple times a year, and then it's generally something like a Squirt. Or a PST. Of the very rare times I see people carrying a multi a really disproportionate number of them are PSTs.

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #83 on: June 10, 2013, 07:19:58 AM
Funny, I was thinking about this just the other day.  Most of my friends that are my age or older carry some kind of small pen knife, a few carry SAK's, but I only have one friend who has an MT and it's an old Gerber Sir PinchAlot and he keeps it in his lunch box.  He's retired, but he still carries that lunch box around with him.  Old habits die hard I guess. 

The younger guys I know usually have some folding tactical toadsticker clipped to their pants pocket, something that's pretty useless outside of a knife fight, and I highly doubt that any of them would know what to do with it in a knife fight other than to wave it around like a Glenda the Good Witch of the North waving her magic wand.

I'm self employed, so I don't often interact with other people in my field very often other than over the phone or via screen sharing.   Among my clients the only thing I've ever seen has been SAK Classics or Recruits.  Most of my clients probably don't realize that pliers based MT's even exist.  At least all of them who have seen one of mine have acted as if it's something new to them.  Some of the women clients who have seen them, in particular the Charge or Swisstool Spirit and expressed interest in getting one for their hubby as a gift.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 07:24:27 AM by 3rdpig »

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #84 on: June 27, 2013, 10:16:58 PM
Well I have had 3 sightings in like the past week.  First, I saw a guy at the grocery store with what appeared to me to be an old PST type sheath.  Second, I saw our maintenance/handyman here at work with a similar sheath.  Third, I saw our custodian with what looked like an old nylon Leatherman sheath, and I'm assuming a PST as well as I could see the ruler markings on the bit of exposed side. 

I would say the PST was very popular with that generation as they all appear to be of similar age.  I can see why as I love my PSTII when we now have more "advanced" MTs nowadays. 
K-Tibbs

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #85 on: June 27, 2013, 10:33:55 PM
My father still has a PST that he likes and feels no need to replace it.  Personally I can't understand not wanting lots more choices, but I admit that we just might be a touch odd. :whistle:

I will add that he also owns a Micra. :)

us Offline Agonistes

Reply #86 on: June 27, 2013, 10:47:19 PM
four army guys waiting on their insignia and uniform orders watched me buy a crunch today, and out came about five multi tools to ooh and ah over collectively.  they enjoyed my surge-300.  i saw a SOG with the gear-looking end, which he had bought there, and a wave and three gerbers.  i only saw one sheath, but they were in full digital camo so i'm sure there were pockets aplenty.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #87 on: June 28, 2013, 12:43:44 AM
A comm guy from Verizon showed up at my Missile Facility yesterday to do some work. He employed the use of a Leatherman Wingman while installing a phone jack and creating some phone cable.

My Wife's girlfirend has a pink Squirt on her keychain. I haven't had a good chance to tinker with it or to figure out which model it is.

A group of folks from my church just got back two weeks ago from South Africa on a mission trip. One of the guys used a Wave with a pocket clip to do some wiring for a sound system in the new church building they were constructing.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline fordmechanic

Reply #88 on: June 28, 2013, 07:23:23 AM
Being a mechanic you would think id see it alot ya know for the parking lot jobs and my favorite type of coustomer the "im so inportant I can walk right in the shop and interupt you"guy but very few and their cheap knock offs usually. My mentor carries his wave I got him when we parted a few years back  but other then that I have "the bat belt" according to some( st300,  zippo leather pouch, flashlight and sometimes my phone) :multi:
I would rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #89 on: June 28, 2013, 01:06:01 PM
A comm guy from Verizon showed up at my Missile Facility yesterday to do some work.
Not everyday you read something like that!  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD