Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Story of a rolex watch,the sad truth.

Zed · 6 · 2281

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Story of a rolex watch,the sad truth.
on: March 03, 2013, 10:05:34 AM
A few weeks back a nice lady at work asked me if I could take a look at her late fathers rolex as it's not working,I said I would take a look but if it needs major work she will need too send it too rolex and there not cheap,she said if it doesn't work she will just keep it as it's got sentimental value and she will pass it down,well on tuesday this week I got it,straight away the magnification on the date looked too small,also no holes on the case for pushing out the spring bars,the other thing I noticed was for one its weight as light,and some corrosion on the case,the model is the date adjust with day,she did say too me that the winder doesn't wind and thinks it's quartz  :think: rolex did do quartz for a while but not this model to my knowledge, anyway worst fears when I removed the case back,it had a plastic movement ring and a no jeweled Japanese quartz movement  :-\. I kind of knew this before I got inside it, we'll I cleaned it right up and put it in a display case I had,I gave it back with the bad news but she was very happy it now worked and was clean but sad that her late mum paid over £200 many years ago from a good watch shop,but she will hand it down as holds memories so all ended ok.thought I should share this little story,I don't know who was more gutted, her or me  :D

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Re: Story of a rolex watch,the sad truth.
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 11:15:29 AM
That's quite a sad story Paul, obv if you buy a 'knock off ' watch knowingly that's fine, but to find some unscrupulous high street trader!! is selling theses is bad! i really feel for the lady. At least you were able to make the situation better for her mate. Well done :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 11:43:25 AM
That's quite a sad story Paul, obv if you buy a 'knock off watch knowingly that's fine, but to find some unscrupulous high street trader!! is selling theses is bad! i really feel for the lady. At least you were able to make the situation better for her mate. Well done :tu:

Cheers barry  :tu: it is very sad,plus her dad must have known as the battery would of been charged before and he would have been told it was a fake  :-\ever I bet he never told his wife,
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:17:30 PM by Zed »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 12:03:49 PM
When something has been in the family long enough it doesn't matter what the label says. It becomes priceless for what it is, not what it used to pretend to be.

Good for you, looking after her keepsake like that.

Def

Sent from my Motorola Atrix digital multitool.

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 12:41:16 PM
As Grant says it's the sentimentality that means most, bless him he obv didn't want to upset his wife :)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 01:35:16 PM
Yes is what I told here  :tu: I've nothing handed down too me but hope my kids hold a value too my things  :tu: ,it's sad as her dad must of known as the battery must of been changed a few times and he would of been told  :-\ I bet he never told his wife she got him a fake,it's still a nice looking watch and as I said too her I would be happy wearing it so she should take care of it  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%