Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ate anything interesting?

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Ate anything interesting?
on: April 26, 2008, 01:45:51 AM
Here is an interesting cultural question. People from different culture have different diets which for some can be quite interesting. Please no violent reactions some food stuff of others may be disturbing to another people. Please only share interesting food you have first hand experiance.
Here are mine:
1. Please forgive me dog lovers this is a long time ago, when I visited a highland tribe you can't refuse an offering of food that way I eat it. Roasted dog. Its unusual I can't bring myself to swallow the rabbit meat.
2. Balut (duck fetus in a shell).
3. Stir fried beetle.
4. Turtle soup (not an endangered one)
5. Fried snake.
6. Beta max, helmet, adiddas and isaw (barbicued chicken blood, comb, feet and intestine respectively.)
7. ant eggs
more to follow......
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Ate anything interesting?
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 03:48:08 AM
I have eaten:
Alligator
Shark
Deep fried catfish which was terrific
Fried snake
B

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 04:15:55 AM
While on a short stopover in Tarlac provinvce on our way to Baguio City last year, I have tasted snake abodo in a native restaurant along the highway. In Baguio City, in an exotic restaurant I also tasted fried bayawak (large lizard). It is a delicacy in some parts of the country.

Bayawak or large lizard

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 04:33:37 AM
How was it?  ???
B

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 04:45:08 AM
Let me guess taste like chicken? I think on the 7th day God was so tired of creating everything He just made everything else taste like chicken  :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 04:47:32 AM
It has white meat just like chicken meat... yes, it taste like chicken.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 04:52:48 AM
While on a short stopover in Tarlac provinvce on our way to Baguio City last year, I have tasted snake abodo in a native restaurant along the highway. In Baguio City, in an exotic restaurant I also tasted fried bayawak (large lizard). It is a delicacy in some parts of the country.

Bayawak or large lizard

What's the name of the resto in Baguio and any land marks near it? Thanks

us Offline Splat

Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 05:10:49 AM
(1) Rattlesnake
(2) Something the Sushi chef wouldn't tell me about...
(3) Squirrel (didn't know it was, buddy made it)
(4) Redhead twins. :D
Splat

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 05:13:25 AM
(1) Rattlesnake
(2) Something the Sushi chef wouldn't tell me about...
(3) Squirrel (didn't know it was, buddy made it)
(4) Redhead twins. :D

Do you add chilli with them twins  >:D

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 05:27:02 AM
It was very difficult to remember our bearing in a city with winding roads all thoughout. We had a guide in going around and we did not bother to remember any landmarks nor the name of the streets. I can just describe that restaurant. It has a perimeter fence with several native cottages of different sizes. It is near the business center of the city. We tasted all their exotic foods.

Here's a photo of the cottage where we had lunch. There are also bigger cottages for bigger groups.

* Exotic.jpg (Filesize: 37.88 KB)

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 06:58:21 AM
Cow stomach, pig brain, duck esophagus, nothing out of the ordinary.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 07:38:18 AM
You guys have had some interesting meals!

The only thing I've eaten that has been "interesting" (other than my girlfriend's cooking) is raw quail eggs, shell and all. There isn't really a taste, you're just supposed to pop them in your mouth with a little salt and chow down. The texture and temperature are a little weird though.

Offline bobofish

Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 08:22:03 AM
We're pretty tame in the West when it comes right down to it. A lot of things we think are crazy are just downright bland in other parts of the world.

As for unusual things, I've eaten sea urchin gonads (the meat's great, the gonads are not my cup of tea) jellyfish (tastes like canteloupe soup) a bunch of other strange and unexpected sea creatures like starfish (there are kinds you can eat, but they have hardly any meat). Sea cucumber, plankton soup (believe it or not) and stuff like that.

I'm a big fan of escargot which some people think is disgusting, but it tastes and feels a lot like an oyster, just without the salsmurfer.
For that matter I adore raw oysters, which some people can't imagine.

On the land front I'm a little boring; I'll eat the meat of pretty much any animal, but I draw the line on innards besides liver, and I'm not too interested in bugs, beetles and worms. I've eaten a couple worms in my life, gross gross gross. I was served fried worms one time, I couldn't do it.

I not only can't stand innards, I can't stand fat or cartiledge; I don't know why, but I just gag. I was staying with a friend in Istanbul and his Mom made me a nice turkish breakfast of olives, veggies and fruit, and the piece de resistence was a fried dish of sheep tripe with special cherry tomatoes apparently picked from a former garden of the Sultan. The damn dish probablly cost her $50 to make, so I had to choke it down. The tomatoes were good at least!

My wife's from Poland and they love gelatin. I mean they LOVE gelatin. Yet another thing that makes me gag. Her family makes this savory gelatin from pig bones, and when it cools it grows a layer of gelatinous fat that is apparently the favorite food of men in her part of Poland. Her dad slathers it on bread and eats it plain, and just looking at it makes me gag, much less tasting it. Go figure, she hates oysters.

My good buddy was stationed in the Philipines many years ago and ate a lot of monkey hands and monkey meat pizza; he said it tastes like beefy chicken, once you get past the thumbs and fingerprints.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 09:44:10 AM
Come to think of it here something interesting that I just thought of:
I have eaten every part of the chicken except bones and feathers.
I have eaten also every part of the pig except bones and hair. Yes just in case you are wondering includes pigs smurf, balls, uterus, vagina etc. cooked of course.
bobofish, monkey sounds interesting thats the closest well get to cannibalism  :D 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 09:50:58 AM by duckman1975 »

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 03:24:14 PM
I HATE tripe. YUCK  :D
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 05:58:31 PM
Here is an interesting cultural question. People from different culture have different diets which for some can be quite interesting. Please no violent reactions some food stuff of others may be disturbing to another people. Please only share interesting food you have first hand experiance.
Here are mine:
1. Please forgive me dog lovers this is a long time ago, when I visited a highland tribe you can't refuse an offering of food that way I eat it. Roasted dog. Its unusual I can't bring myself to swallow the rabbit meat.
3. Stir fried beetle.
5. Fried snake.
6. Beta max, helmet, adiddas and isaw (barbicued chicken blood, comb, feet and intestine respectively.)
7. ant eggs
more to follow......

I'm pretty game for anything me, but I have seen those Balut's before and they just look horrendous!  :o

I'm back!!

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 02:05:04 AM
Its actually good, once you get pass what it looks like. There are 2 varieties of Balut,one's with small chicks and the ordinary one's. Start with the one with the smallest chick, you can request this to the vendor. Never eat cold balut,the hotter the balut in my opinion the better the taste. start by cracking a small hole on the top of the egg, add little salt then suck the soup, believe me its delicious, if you really can't stomach seeing the chick I suggest you at least try the soup. Once you sucked out all the soup crack open the whole balut, eat the chick whole, do not bite. I suggest you do that to prevent seeing a half bitten chick on the second bite. After that enjoy the rest of the balut.
Like my mother used to say about unusual or exotic food: "at least try it once."  :)

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 02:43:14 AM
Balut is delicious and it is being sold while still hot! Nobody will buy a cold balut.

When I was in high school the maximm number of balut I can consume was 8. I control eating too much balut now because it is high in cholesterol.

Duck raisers bred this variety for balut making.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 03:06:07 AM
Balut is delicious and it is being sold while still hot! Nobody will buy a cold balut.

When I was in high school the maximm number of balut I can consume was 8. I control eating too much balut now because it is high in cholesterol.

Duck raisers bred this variety for balut making.

Yes, balut is sold hot. Made that comment about not eating it cold because most of the shows like fear factor, amazing race and survivors, they serve the balut cold (I assumed its cold).
8 baluts, wow I'm a big guy but I can't down that much balut. Still eat 5 a sitting but only once a month, after that have to take lipitor for cholesterol.
Used to study in Laguna, duck raisers usually cull some of their layers, they sold it as lechon itik (rosted duck). Used to buy them as "pulutan" (pika-pika in english?) when we drink "lambanog" (coconut wine).

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 01:00:58 PM
Its actually good, once you get pass what it looks like. There are 2 varieties of Balut,one's with small chicks and the ordinary one's. Start with the one with the smallest chick, you can request this to the vendor. Never eat cold balut,the hotter the balut in my opinion the better the taste. start by cracking a small hole on the top of the egg, add little salt then suck the soup, believe me its delicious, if you really can't stomach seeing the chick I suggest you at least try the soup. Once you sucked out all the soup crack open the whole balut, eat the chick whole, do not bite. I suggest you do that to prevent seeing a half bitten chick on the second bite. After that enjoy the rest of the balut.
Like my mother used to say about unusual or exotic food: "at least try it once."  :)

TBH, I can't say the "soup" makes it any more appealing.  :-\ 

Even though they look awful, I would probably still give it a go.  Probably wouldn't do the whole thing in one go like you guys would though.  :D

I'm back!!

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 01:19:29 PM
squirrel
snake
alligator
snake
Hunters pie(beef,duck, rabbit)
deer

ANd a local delicacy,,,,SCRAPPLE!!!(sausage is the meat of the pig,,,,,Scrapple is what's left over from the pig!) :drool: :drool:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 01:22:10 PM
Here are mine:
3. Stir fried beetle.
5. Fried snake.
7. ant eggs
more to follow......

I'm pretty game for anything me, but I have seen those Balut's before and they just look horrendous!  :o

(Image removed from quote.)

I think it's still alive??
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 27, 2008, 01:27:58 PM
Hehehe.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #23 on: April 27, 2008, 01:29:44 PM
Good god I tried one in Manilla and I still cant get the taste out of my mouth.
S

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #24 on: April 27, 2008, 08:04:25 PM
Interesting? Well I've eaten beaver, squirrel, buffalo, frog legs, rocky mountain oysters and last but not least White Castle Slyders. Granted they're not "exotic" but they're definitely interesting. And addicting. I want to try rattlesnake, I've heard that's delicious.   
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 12:37:47 AM
Good god I tried one in Manilla and I still cant get the taste out of my mouth.

Guess its an acquired taste.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 28, 2008, 12:39:40 AM
I hope someday I would be able to taste wild game meat. Heard its better than commercial processed meat.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: April 28, 2008, 02:01:34 AM
Interesting? Well I've eaten beaver, squirrel, buffalo, frog legs, rocky mountain oysters and last but not least White Castle Slyders. Granted they're not "exotic" but they're definitely interesting. And addicting. I want to try rattlesnake, I've heard that's delicious.  

Most men have eaten beaver ::) :D :angel: :pok:

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: April 28, 2008, 09:11:41 AM

Most men have eaten beaver ::) :D :angel: :pok:

No beaver here, only live fresh clam  >:D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 04:00:50 PM
You guys make me feel like a wuss!  I am wayyy too fussy about what I eat, and I rarely get very adventurous when it comes to food.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%