Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Review of the TT Chopper

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Review of the TT Chopper
on: July 18, 2013, 08:04:51 AM
Small but Mighty -- the TT Chopper

For years, I never understood the allure of one-piece multitools (OPMTs).  I have carried plier-based MTs for as long as I can remember, and I always thought the OPMTs were too small to be of any real use... and besides, I already had full functionality with my plier-based MT, right?  Then one day, it dawned on me -- one of these OPMTs could complement my usual EDC!  After doing some research, I settled on a TT Chopper from TT Pocket Tools, and now I wonder how I lived without it.

The Chopper is made from 3/16” thick 154CM stainless steel and loaded with features.  (pictured next to a Victorinox Classic and a Leatherman Micra for size reference)

Features include:
  • Twist Assist
  • Bottle Opener
  • 1/4" Hex Bit Driver
  • Pry Tip
  • Nail Remover/Wire Stripper
  • Screwdriver
  • Box Wrench SAE (5/32, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8)
  • Box Cutter (optional)
  • Gripper

As with any multitool, there are compromises to be made, so naturally some of these implements work better than others.  The screwdriver, for example, works well enough in a pinch, but the fact that you’re basically using half of the prybar feature as a screwdriver makes it less than ideal.  The Twist Assist (for opening a twist-top beer bottle) works well enough, but I appreciate it more for the ergonomic grip that it offers when holding the Chopper to use the box cutter (more on this in a bit). Everyone’s favorite feature on a keychain tool or OPMT -- the bottle opener -- works well, as evidenced here:

However, incorporation of the 1/4” hex bit driver into the bottle opener makes the bit driver little less reliable (since it’s open on two of the six sides).

The pry tip and gripper are excellent, especially for a tool this small.  I used these features extensively when moving into my new house recently.  The nail remover/wire stripper works fairly well, but I actually found that the gripper worked better for removing unwanted nails from the walls in my new house:

The box wrench works very well, and the jimping on the tool provides excellent grip. The box wrench can even be used without removing the tool from your keychain!

The box cutter on the TT Chopper is simply incredible.  It is placed perfectly on the tool so that your fingers naturally find the secure, ergonomic grip provided by the shape of the tool and the jimping. 

The cutter is sharp enough to rip through packages with ease, and thanks to the 154CM steel, it will maintain that edge for quite some time.  However, it’s not so sharp that you have to worry about inadvertently injuring yourself while the tool is in your pocket, thanks in part to the small size of the cutter.  Todd at TT Pocket Tools did an excellent job of implementing the box cutter feature into this OPMT.

I placed my TT Chopper on my keychain immediately after receiving it, and it has been there for about a month now.  In that time, I have gotten far more use out of the tool than I originally thought I would, and I have discovered that it really does complement a plier-based MT very well.  (For example, the box wrench on the Chopper can be used to hold the nut while the pliers are used to loosen or tighten a bolt.)  You’ll notice that the pictures showing the Chopper in use were taken with the Chopper still on my keychain; this was done intentionally to show the versatility of the tool. 

If multitools were measure in “tools per ounce” (or gram), this OPMT would have to rank near the top.  The TT Chopper makes a great addition to any keychain, and you’ll hardly even notice it’s there.

Pros:
  • small form factor makes this a perfect addition to your keychain
  • the box cutter is very well implemented
  • the jimping is placed well and is highly functional
Cons:
  • compact form can make it difficult to get leverage when using the pry bar feature
  • box wrench sizes only go up to 3/8” (up to 1/2” would be desirable)
  • bottle opener doesn’t always work on the first attempt

Offline Kamerat

• New User
Re: Review of the TT Chopper
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 09:39:52 PM
Thanks for a nice review! :)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 02:31:37 AM
I recently got one of these and it's actually a pretty nice little tool.  That having been said, I haven't used it for much yet, but it feels pretty sturdy.  It's a lot smaller than I was expecting though.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 02:41:03 AM
You went and done it... you made me add something new to my wish list  :pok: :D :cheers:
SAW

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 10:17:30 PM
I recently got one of these and it's actually a pretty nice little tool.  That having been said, I haven't used it for much yet, but it feels pretty sturdy.  It's a lot smaller than I was expecting though.

Def

The small size of this tool was actually a big selling point for me.  :)  I had been looking for a good OPMT for awhile to add to my EDC, but I wanted it to be small enough to comfortably fit on my keychain.  (I use sheaths when camping/hiking, when doing yardwork or home improvement projects, etc., but I don't like to carry a sheath for EDC.)  I was a little worried that the Chopper might be too small, but like I said in the review, it has been a very handy little tool.  :tu:

You went and done it... you made me add something new to my wish list  :pok: :D :cheers:

sawman, I would apologize, but I'm really not that sorry... and you won't be either if you pick one of these up.  :D  :cheers:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 10:39:41 PM
Nice overview  :salute:

The first time I saw one of these, it was attached to Farmman's keys - and as far as I'm aware, it's still there. They do look an interesting little doodad, but I just can't get any enthusiasm for one piece tools - especially the hex bit driver, which in and of itself is pretty useless. Unless you happen to chance upon a 6mm A/F nut that needs tightening/loosening, the only way to get any benefit from one of this is to start carrying rounds bits to use ... at which point I'd rather have a "proper" multitool.

This is of course all just a matter of personal taste and preference for a more comprehensive tool (that hasn't got sharp edges permanantly exposed  :P ) but of the one piece tools I have seen - this one is inobtrusive, versatile enough for it's size, well made, and also available at a fair price  :D

For those who are into one piece tools, or fancy trying one out, this would be a very good one to try  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 06:37:37 AM
Nice overview  :salute:

The first time I saw one of these, it was attached to Farmman's keys - and as far as I'm aware, it's still there. They do look an interesting little doodad, but I just can't get any enthusiasm for one piece tools - especially the hex bit driver, which in and of itself is pretty useless. Unless you happen to chance upon a 6mm A/F nut that needs tightening/loosening, the only way to get any benefit from one of this is to start carrying rounds bits to use ... at which point I'd rather have a "proper" multitool.

This is of course all just a matter of personal taste and preference for a more comprehensive tool (that hasn't got sharp edges permanantly exposed  :P ) but of the one piece tools I have seen - this one is inobtrusive, versatile enough for it's size, well made, and also available at a fair price  :D

For those who are into one piece tools, or fancy trying one out, this would be a very good one to try  :tu:

thanks 50ft-trad!  :salute:

I fully admit that I used to have almost the exact same viewpoint when it came to OPMTs.  I didn't see a point in adding any weight to my keychain when I always had a perfectly good plier-based MT in my pocket.  :think:

It was actually my brother (Delta10) who suggested to me (several months ago) that maybe it would be useful to carry one to complement a plier-based MT, like when you need to hold a nut in place while tightening a bolt.  That started my search for a suitable OPMT, and I finally ended up on the TT Chopper.  Like I said in the review, I would never carry this instead of a plier-based MT, but it makes a great secondary tool.

I already mentioned that the small size of the tool was a big selling point for me, and you mentioned the other one -- the price.  ;)  I didn't want to shell out big bucks for an Atwood, but this one was well-made with quality materials (154CM steel), and was sold at a very reasonable price ($36).  :tu:

Offline verysimple

• New User
Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 07:38:46 PM
nice review..

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 10:42:54 PM
Now posted on the Main Site:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 01:01:35 AM
Now posted on the Main Site:D

Def

sweet, I made the main site! :D

thanks Boss!  :salute:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 01:02:37 AM
No problem. I'll be transferring more probably tomorrow.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%