Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Tang Stamps

ulli · 219 · 46491

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox Tang Stamps
Reply #60 on: March 20, 2016, 05:01:30 PM
Great stuff...this is really awesome!   :2tu:

I hadn't seen this before, but what a great effort.  And in reading through this thread, what great input from this global team...very cool!

Thanks!    :cheers:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

Offline ulli

Reply #61 on: March 20, 2016, 05:41:17 PM
That's a great job you did/are doing :tu:
But it makes me wonder, why doesn't the company itself keep track of all this? Aren't they proud of the rich history of their beloved products?
Or do they just not share this information?

I think they just focused on the present, not the past. I saw their compilation of tang stamps, about 20 different stamps. In the past, they didn`t even have an archive. Also the books they released are really rare of informations of the past. What I heard is that the old elsener chiefs where not really interested in such things and I think they struggled a lot to keep all employees during hard times.

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #62 on: March 20, 2016, 06:51:15 PM
Legend! :cheers:
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #63 on: January 13, 2017, 03:14:15 AM
Glad I found this thread!  Thanks!   :like: :salute:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #64 on: February 01, 2017, 02:04:57 AM
Thanks for posting the tang stamp information. :like:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #65 on: February 07, 2017, 04:41:00 AM
The more I try to learn about dating SAKs, especially since the late 60's, the more I realize that the rules are very flexible.  For instance, I've encountered a great number of Vic's with the small "V" but also have the half stop on the cap lifter and a hole in the reamer etc.   I'm pretty sure they did this just so we could talk about it here on MTO.  :ahhh  :cheers:

Here are a few examples:

Tourist (70's) - Clip Point Small blade, "retired '73"  w/ 1974-1986: VSSR/OS, small "V" stamp

Small Tinker (80's)- No hole in reamer, no half stop on cap lifter "retired 85" w/ 1986-2005: VSSR/OS, Large "V" stamp

Climber (80's)  - Hole in reamer, half stop, grooved el corkscrew w/ 1974-1986: VSSR/OS, small "V" stamp
Tourist early 70's.jpg
* Tourist early 70's.jpg (Filesize: 73.22 KB)
Small tinker early 80s.jpg
* Small tinker early 80s.jpg (Filesize: 69.39 KB)
Climber 80's.jpg
* Climber 80's.jpg (Filesize: 63.18 KB)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 04:42:24 AM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #66 on: February 10, 2017, 12:25:27 AM
Definitely - Dating SAKs is as much an art as a science!!
Our info says the awl got it's eye and the SD its half stop in 85, and the V got big in 86

Particularly for changes that happened in consecutive years - we see SAKs that break the rules!
I think its all down to the parts bin!! ie Old style parts being used after they are 'retired'.

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #67 on: February 25, 2017, 05:15:55 PM
My question deleted, I see the answer in post #1 of this thread.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:19:22 PM by FolderBeholder »
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #68 on: February 25, 2017, 05:28:17 PM

:rofl:

But really, you can never be sure.  They stopped the exposed rivets in '61, but looking at some of the charts the stamp you referred to as '68-'74.   :ahhh  But it's probably more like '40-'70

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #69 on: February 25, 2017, 05:41:13 PM

But really, you can never be sure.  They stopped the exposed rivets in '61, but looking at some of the charts the stamp you referred to as '68-'74.   :ahhh  But it's probably more like '40-'70
Thanks El C.  I'll post up a photo of the knife and tang stamps once I have it in hand, probably in the vintage thread, even though it's not very vintage...50s thereabouts, I think.  :think:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: February 25, 2017, 06:20:59 PM

Thanks El C.  I'll post up a photo of the knife and tang stamps once I have it in hand, probably in the vintage thread, even though it's not very vintage...50s thereabouts, I think.  :think:
50's is vintage to me!

For humans, I consider it as "well past vintage"... Or"old"

cs Offline M0rkoni

Reply #71 on: February 26, 2017, 06:33:31 PM

It's a vintage one for sure...  :tu:

ua Offline Frater_Martin

Reply #72 on: February 27, 2017, 09:29:49 AM
Great work, thank you.

I have found two variants of "Victorinox switzerland" stamps of Dutch army knifes on one Russian gun forum. In one of them "V" is strictly above the small "s", in another one "V" is moved a bit left of it.  Also there is another one "Victorinox switzerland stainless" with big "V" and  two small "s".
These stamps I did not found in the table. Do you know anything about them?
Here they are:
DAK tang stamps.jpg
* DAK tang stamps.jpg (Filesize: 229.21 KB)
victorinox-dak-tang-01-stainless.jpg
* victorinox-dak-tang-01-stainless.jpg (Filesize: 66.6 KB)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:29:48 AM by Frater_Martin »
-Sorry my bed Inglish :) -

Offline ulli

Reply #73 on: February 27, 2017, 08:12:11 PM
Whow, thanks a lot for those tang stamps. I`ve added the two to the compilation.

Now the 3 tang stamps from the dak foto are (from left to right):

vss6 (new) - vs6 (new) - vs4

ua Offline Frater_Martin

Reply #74 on: February 28, 2017, 05:24:17 AM
Many thanks for that.
Might I have some problems with my eyes, but I have not found variant "Victorinox switzerland" (it is on the center of the photo with three stamps) includes big "V" which is moved a bit left of small "s". I can see only vs4 ("Victorinox switzerland", big "V" is strictly above "s") and vs6 ("victorinox switzerland" with small "v" and small "s"). What about vs5? :)
17953369-1.jpg
* 17953369-1.jpg (Filesize: 241.15 KB)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 05:33:25 AM by Frater_Martin »

Offline ulli

Reply #75 on: February 28, 2017, 08:43:28 AM
Maybe I have a problem with my eyes :-) For me its a smlall v in the middle tang stamp. You don`t have a better resolution picture? I have to check the picture again when I`m at home. When Its really a big V, then I have to change the picture of vs6.

ua Offline Frater_Martin

Reply #76 on: February 28, 2017, 03:33:33 PM
...For me its a smlall v in the middle tang stamp. You don`t have a better resolution picture? ...
Here it is. I found it on another site, but it is the same: shifted big "V". And as you can see, size of texts in upper and lower lines is completely difference.
victorinox-dak-tang-02.jpg
* victorinox-dak-tang-02.jpg (Filesize: 69.79 KB)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 04:04:13 PM by Frater_Martin »

Offline ulli

Reply #77 on: February 28, 2017, 08:50:28 PM
Ok thanks a lot, I changed the compilation.

ua Offline Frater_Martin

Reply #78 on: February 28, 2017, 08:54:53 PM
Thank you for this colossal work.
Another one issue. I am pretty sure that only you can understand me :) Because dating of the tools and knifes is not quite popular thing.
I have found at least two different types of the crossbow on the back side of main blade.
Type A, older: the crossbow and the cross are touching each other and the cross is a bit larger than next one;
Type B, newer: there is little space between the crossbow and the cross.
I had been using comparative analysis of internet photos and found out, that change of the stamp happened between 1992-1996. Do you have any more clear information about the year of this change?

Thank you.
crossbows.jpg
* crossbows.jpg (Filesize: 164.45 KB)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:51:07 PM by Frater_Martin »

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #79 on: March 01, 2017, 02:17:34 AM
Another one issue. I am pretty sure that only you can understand me :) Because dating of the tools and knifes is not quite popular thing.
I have found at least two different types of the crossbow on the back side of main blade.
Type A, older: the crossbow and the cross are touching each other and the cross is a bit larger than next one;
I had been using comparative analysis of internet photos and found out, that change of the stamp happened between 1992-1996. Do you have any more clear information about the year of this change?

Thank you.

great info!  I will have to start looking harder.  to me dating a SAK is just as important as identifying them.  sometimes you can really lock them down, other times it is a bigger range, but it is always a key piece of data to me.
If I can help, let me know 

Offline ulli

Reply #80 on: March 01, 2017, 08:28:34 AM

Thank you.

Thats an interesting observation. I have never noticed this before. I have to check some of my knives to date that better. Are you sure that the newer saks have all that tang stamp? Sometimes I think they used some tang stamp machines simultaneously.
For the older tang stamps, there are a lot more small changes or differences that I would not declare as an own stamp.

The best thing to date stamps and tools is to create a thread where everyone can post pictures of advertising-saks with dates on the scales or on the mainblades, for example the stamp "1963 - Kantonales Schützenfest Schwyz" or "1953 - 1973 SULZER AG". I think that would help the most.

ua Offline Frater_Martin

Reply #81 on: March 01, 2017, 09:46:39 AM

Thats an interesting observation. I have never noticed this before. I have to check some of my knives to date that better. Are you sure that the newer saks have all that tang stamp? Sometimes I think they used some tang stamp machines simultaneously.
For the older tang stamps, there are a lot more small changes or differences that I would not declare as an own stamp.

I do follow up this issue a couple of years and I have had two border observations:
My one Climber was produced in 1992 (I confirmed this with the calendar on backside of the scale, moreower it has hook and screw on scissors) and it has Type A stamp.
Several knifes were prodused in 1996-1997 with Anniversary 1997 year on scales already have new Type B stamp.
Since that all new knives which I have seen have Type B stamp of the crossbow and all old knifes (older 1992) had old Tyle A stamp.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:48:23 AM by Frater_Martin »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #82 on: March 01, 2017, 05:03:15 PM

Thank you.

The best thing to date stamps and tools is to create a thread where everyone can post pictures of advertising-saks with dates on the scales or on the mainblades, for example the stamp "1963 - Kantonales Schützenfest Schwyz" or "1953 - 1973 SULZER AG". I think that would help the most.

Someone please start that ☝ thread! 
Seems also only earlier advertising SAKs that the logos were usually inlayed just like the cross instead of screen printing or hot stamping.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #83 on: March 02, 2017, 01:43:29 PM

I do follow up this issue a couple of years and I have had two border observations:
My one Climber was produced in 1992 (I confirmed this with the calendar on backside of the scale, moreower it has hook and screw on scissors) and it has Type A stamp.
Several knifes were prodused in 1996-1997 with Anniversary 1997 year on scales already have new Type B stamp.
Since that all new knives which I have seen have Type B stamp of the crossbow and all old knifes (older 1992) had old Tyle A stamp.

@Frater_Martin

could you explain the scale calendar and how it works?  I have noticed there was one inside, but was unsure of how to use it to extract data (did not want my ignorance leading to a bad assumption)
If I can help, let me know 

ua Offline Frater_Martin

Reply #84 on: March 02, 2017, 03:10:20 PM

@Frater_Martin

could you explain the scale calendar and how it works?  I have noticed there was one inside, but was unsure of how to use it to extract data (did not want my ignorance leading to a bad assumption)

Don’t you know? I am not a speSmurfpillst in that, moreover English is not my native language, but I can try.
When Victorinox factory molds plastic scales of the pressured hot plastic, they insert special tabs into a matrix. These tabs can show the year of the scale molding, number of the matrix etc. Some people call first of them “calendar”.
It can be number of the year, special circus of numbers/symbols etc. (see picture below). Pay attention that it is only the year of the scale production, not the year when the knife was born. Sometimes i did not find any calendars on scales.
We have to remove both scales to see both years on internal side of it. I know, it is a bit invasive method. Sometimes we can see the calendar through transparent plastic using a magnification glass and a flashlight.
Press database.jpg
* Press database.jpg (Filesize: 139.04 KB)
DSC_0370-1.jpg
* DSC_0370-1.jpg (Filesize: 291.44 KB)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 03:22:48 PM by Frater_Martin »

ua Offline Frater_Martin

Reply #85 on: March 03, 2017, 08:08:53 AM
There is another comparing old and new crossbow tang stamps. As you can see, the older stamp's crossbow is touching the cross and letter "C" in "OFFICIER".
crossbows3.jpg
* crossbows3.jpg (Filesize: 328.92 KB)

ua Offline Frater_Martin

Reply #86 on: May 25, 2017, 08:57:28 AM
Continuing this investigation, I have found that this changing TypeA->TypeB of the tang back side might be happened in 1992 or a bit later.
Below there is a photo of the knife, which has a screw on the scissors, a hook. Before I have seen dozens photos of knifes which had the TypeA crossbow, a screw on the scissors and a hook. And only this rare knife has TypeB tang.  It means, that it was produced between 1991-1992 or in early 1993.
I took photos over there: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAKCollectors/permalink/659399997518138/ and thanks Ken Galliher for them.
Champion-1992.JPG
* Champion-1992.JPG (Filesize: 315.34 KB)

ua Offline Frater_Martin

Reply #87 on: June 23, 2017, 02:25:50 PM
Hello again to everybody. Considering total number of new posts here, idea of knife dating is not very popular.
Anyway, I have found dates of main blades production for 91mm SAKs with "ECONOMY" stamped on it - it is1976-1980. The proof is over there http://www.sakhome.com/304372180, thanks for TROND. That page is quite old, but anyway there is no other sources about this.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #88 on: June 23, 2017, 04:14:25 PM
OK Frater Martin

Clearly you do not understand this site very well and at 28 posts this is totally comprehendable

Dating SAKS is a total obesession for many members of this site - particulary in the SAK Knights board
For instance look here - or check any number of posts discussing SAK dating - and any posts where Jazzbass has contributed.

Yes your link is interesting to a pretty nice blog - and I look forward to exploring that site some more
But please do no make judgements on this  community from a position of ignorance of this site and its members.  :twak:

If you want to promote your blog just decalre that and do not judge us!!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 04:15:29 PM by Huntsman »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #89 on: June 23, 2017, 04:46:46 PM
+ no replies does not mean nobody is reading...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%