Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Champ or Cybertool? Need help making up my mind!

Offline mikekoz

Champ or Cybertool? Need help making up my mind!
on: February 02, 2014, 06:33:10 PM
  About a year ago I sold my SAK Champ. I had it since the late eigthies, early nineties, and was just not using it any more. Now I wish I still had it, but there are so many others like it. I have been looking at the Champ, the Cybertool 41 (which looks like a Champ for PC techs, like myself), or the Cybertool Lite. I do not see too many folks talking about the Cybertools here and I am leaning towards the 41. The flashlight on the Lite seems to be subpar so the extra tools on the 41 may be more usefull. Any thoughts one way or the other from anybody out there?

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Re: Champ or Cybertool? Need help making up my mind!
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 06:36:31 PM
 :)

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 06:47:02 PM
I've used the CyberTool Lite, and while the light is not great, for upclose where you would use it, it's pretty good.  That said it is out-dated, and I have so many nice lights that I think at this time it might be best to look at the other models.

The CyberTool 41 is great, I've never used one although I own a few.  I think if you liked the Champ you will like the 41.   In general I love the bit driver. It is a very well thought out design, and I think it was the correct implementation for a SAK. 

You might also want to look at the Swiss Champ XLT.

The street price on the CyberTools has increased alot in the last few years, so it can be hard to find a 41 or an XLT at a good price. 

There is a wide held speculation that the update to the SwissChamp will be released soon, and it will have the bit-driver.  A couple of years a go now Victorinox even announced that the internal planning for the next SwissChamp had started, but still no new models.  I have pretty good information though from multiple sources that that all the fancy scaled SwissChamps are not longer being produced.  In North America the CyberTool 41 is no longer available.  So I'm quite excited to see if 2014 (their 130th Year) will be the year they introduce it.  It makes sense to me that if they are ready this should be the year, as they are changing many things right now.  However, because they are busy with so many things they may have to wait on this one.  I can't see them letting the year go by though without marking it in some pretty significant way.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 06:48:57 PM
Yes, the XLT is the best option :)

I will be putting a couple of XLTs on EDC Source soon.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline dbeeks1

Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 06:49:58 PM
I have a Swisschamp and a Cybertool 34. I really like the Cybertool. The driver length and bit selection is great for computer work. I have read some discussions in the forums that suggest the Cybertool 41 is the modern Swisschamp.
The down side is that the Cybertool models seem to be double the price. I would still vote for the Cybertool if were to pick just one.

...but...you've probably read this line a bunch here..."just get both"  >:D

Offline mikekoz

Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 06:59:05 PM
   Thanks everybody! That XLT looks great...except for the price!!!  :think:  Why would it be so much more than the Cybertool 41? I can get that for less than $90.00 and the XLT is $210.00!!

Offline mikekoz

Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 07:00:42 PM
I have a Swisschamp and a Cybertool 34. I really like the Cybertool. The driver length and bit selection is great for computer work. I have read some discussions in the forums that suggest the Cybertool 41 is the modern Swisschamp.
The down side is that the Cybertool models seem to be double the price. I would still vote for the Cybertool if were to pick just one.

I have thought about that actually!! lol. The cheapest I have seen the Champ is around $50.00, Cybertool $87.00.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 07:04:26 PM
   Thanks everybody! That XLT looks great...except for the price!!!  :think:  Why would it be so much more than the Cybertool 41? I can get that for less than $90.00 and the XLT is $210.00!!

In The Netherlands, the XLT is $285!
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 07:08:28 PM
I'd go with the Cybertool 41 . I already own a Handyman and a Swisschamp , a former apprentice of mine carries the Cybertool 41 and loves it . I'm planning to score one ( my taste in SAK's being impeccable ).

Chris

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 07:10:13 PM
I do not see too many folks talking about the Cybertools
Numerous debates (should of used the search bar) over which SAK is the ultimate SAK, and it always boils down to Swisschamp vs Cybertool 41.
I always side with the Cybertool since I'd actually use "every single tool" on it. I my self only own a Cybetool 34 and am happy with the assortment of tools. (even though I never use it TBH)

The Cybertool Lite LED being subpar is an understatement. When the smaller LED (from 58mm) is overpowering it's larger counterpart you know something is wrong, but with that said it's still kind of convenient having it on the knife.

I'd go 34 or 41.
I sort of feel like you've made up your mind already.
Good luck.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 07:26:12 PM
I had the same problem with you. I wanted to upgrade from a 25+ years Swisschamp and liked my wife's Cybertool but would miss some tools, so I got the XLT. I almost always carry a bag, if not I have smaller options with a Minichamp as an absolute minimal. So the size was irrelevant and I found that it feels right in my large hands. I bought it second hand from a collector, so it was BNIB but I EDC it. If it lives for 25 years then it's cost will be 5€/ year or 10€/year if bought new. Not bad! I expect it to live even longer unless misplaced or stolen.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 07:44:00 PM
   What I will probably end up doing is getting the Cybertool 41 first, then a little later on getting a Champ, just to replace the one I had! I love the XLT, but it is about $40.00 to $50.00 more than the Workchamp XLT I bought last year. Overall, the 41 seems to be the best bang for the buck for me, and I was leaning towards that one anyway. I will give everybody my impressions of it when I get it!   :climber: Thank again!!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 09:13:41 PM
I too do alot of computer work and the swisschamp will work without a doubt and to me I like it better than the Cybertool because of the mag glass.  I have used the mag glass on many occasions.

I do like the Cybertools and I would prefer the 34 over the 41 as I dont see the need for a file or saw when doing computer work.  I do own the 34 but still prefer the swisschamp over it.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 09:26:38 PM
I work in IT and carry a CT 34 every day at the office.  It fits my job perfectly.  However, if you're looking to have all of the utility of the 'Champ, I recommend a CT 41.  In actual use, I prefer it over the 'Champ.  The bit driver is excellent--it does everything the inline phillips does and much more, with better grip and reach on the screws.

The 'Champ is a classic SAK as you're well aware, and I wouldn't be without it in my collection, but it isn't nearly as suited to IT work.  I see that you've already made you're decision, and I think you'll be impressed with the CT 41.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 09:30:51 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline mikekoz

Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 05:00:37 PM

I ordered the Cybertool 41 today and should have it tomorrow! I was also on Ebay today and somebody had a great deal on a Champ with the same Vic leather case mine had, and I bought that also!  :climber:  I should have that one by the end of the week! These things are so addicting!!!  :drool:

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 05:21:40 PM
    I ordered the Cybertool 41 today and should have it tomorrow! I was also on Ebay today and somebody had a great deal on a Champ with the same Vic leather case mine had, and I bought that also!  :climber:  I should have that one by the end of the week! These things are so addicting!!!  :drool:

Great double score  :tu:
and you're so damn right about addiction issue  :facepalm:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 05:47:58 PM
The first step is admitting you have a problem...

:whistle:
- Terry

us Offline burnside

Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 06:25:06 PM
Whichever one you get, you will end up thinking about the other one. I've been really happy with my latest SwissChamp, but I can't seem to get the CT41 out of my mind. I'll probably try one out at some point, but until then, I'll be enjoying the Champ. It's classic, and it holds it's own as a very useful edc SAK.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 06:31:43 PM

The first one is quite easy :D ... on the 12-step long-term-travel  :ahhh
the second looks insurmountable:
- when a "higher power" is recognized ...   :facepalm:

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 06:35:35 PM
I would say cybertool... It's like Pokemon... Gotta catch 'em all lol.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 08:14:50 PM

Problem? I....I don't have a problem!! And even if I did....I could stop anytime!!!  >:D  :D  :P  :angel:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 08:23:29 PM
Craftsman...
Oh, too late

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25