Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox 1984-1985 Dealer Catalog

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Victorinox 1984-1985 Dealer Catalog
on: March 07, 2014, 07:03:12 AM
Large 28MB PDF Download.

This is a scan of a mint condition Victorinox 1984/1985 US Dealer catalog, including retail price lists. This is an extended version of the 1985 catalog that used to be on SakWiki (I get an error when I try to download it). Many of the same pictures, same copy, different layout and a few more knives.

Feel free to upload to SakWiki if you want. I tried but hit too many errors and gave up.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox 1984-1985 Dealer Catalog
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 12:18:42 PM
Great! Thanks!      :salute:

If you can't download the one from the wiki you must not be logged in, but I will check that later.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 01:41:19 PM
Permissions fixed. Everybody logged in should now be able to download the one from the wiki.

And thanks for the updated version. :cheers: I'll upload it later if Francis doesn't beat me to it.

As for the errors while uploading, it's set up currently that everybody can upload images but only admins can upload files. That's why you got errors, as your account is an editors one.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 02:39:50 PM
 :2tu:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 02:55:26 PM
This catalog is a work of art. The tie in p. 6 is miraculous. I bought my first SAK around that time and it is nice to see the models of those days again.
Is the SAKinfo a members only site jazzbass?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 10:29:27 PM
I have a bunch of catalogs and stuff. Maybe I should take the time to digitize them somehow.  :think:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 10:38:46 PM
OMG! on page 8, the silver Cross pens in the picture:  I have that EXACT pen!  :ahhh

I got it as a graduation present in 1980!

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 10:41:32 PM
Very interesting, thanks for sharing!
Nice to see my wooden display (mine is a bit newer though).
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 12:34:24 AM
Lots of jewels in there.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 02:20:21 AM
How do I upload large PDF catalogs that I make online to share here? I just figured out that I cannot use Photobucket. Guess I need to do some research.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 05:40:41 AM

It is, with exactly one member - me  :-[. This is a long languishing project of mine - the idea was that it would be sort of a blog/catalog of my collection/info source. I've built more websites than I can count for people, but decided to do this one in a new-to-me technology (PHP). Hit some road blocks and it got put on the back burner so I could focus on work/kids/other hobbies/SAK book. I may come back to it after the book is done. Right now I keep it mainly as a image host.

br Offline rmagralha

Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 05:09:23 PM

It is, with exactly one member - me  :-[. This is a long languishing project of mine - the idea was that it would be sort of a blog/catalog of my collection/info source. I've built more websites than I can count for people, but decided to do this one in a new-to-me technology (PHP). Hit some road blocks and it got put on the back burner so I could focus on work/kids/other hobbies/SAK book. I may come back to it after the book is done. Right now I keep it mainly as a image host.

Nice to hear that the book is in progress!  :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 06:37:30 PM
Never mind. I found out that I need some sort of online HD storage. Guess I will have to save as JPG.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 09:38:07 PM

Thank you very much :tu:
Get more tools

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 02:25:41 AM
The size of this PDF is killing my bandwidth allotment. I need to take this down and move it to a different download host. I'll try to get the individual jpegs up on SAKWiki later this week. Sorry.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 02:31:55 AM by jazzbass »

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 02:29:55 AM
It's nice to see my 58mm shadow boxes in a brochure.  :ahhh

Very nice catalog. :tu:

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 03:22:53 AM
The size of this PDF is killing my bandwidth allotment. I need to take this down and move it to a different download host. I'll try to get the individual jpegs up on SAKWiki later this week. Sorry.

I'll upload the PDF to SAKwiki right now.  Since you saved me the work of scanning to JPG, I should save you some work in conversion to JPG at least.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 03:58:30 AM

I'll upload the PDF to SAKwiki right now.  Since you saved me the work of scanning to JPG, I should save you some work in conversion to JPG at least.
Sorry I could not upload the file.  Someone may have been playing with the permissions, but it looks like something worse.  I'll have to look into it a bit later.  I'm sure we'll get the catalog uploaded though so don't worry about converting to JPG right now.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 04:29:10 AM

Sorry I could not upload the file.  Someone may have been playing with the permissions, but it looks like something worse.  I'll have to look into it a bit later.  I'm sure we'll get the catalog uploaded though so don't worry about converting to JPG right now.

No one was playing with the permissions and it's nothing worse. The file is simply too big. The wiki is set to 16mb max, and php is 128mb. Whoey checked two days ago. I first thought it was related to the wiki database and forum crash we had last week case I had the same problem but it was just the size of it.

We'll have to reduce the size of the pdf to upload it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:31:25 AM by enki_ck »

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 07:41:25 AM
OK, I ran the PDF through Photoshop, had it pull out the images and reduce them. Here's a link to the catalog as a set of jpgs in a zip file. This is an 8MB file instead of a 28MB like the one above.

This should be a lot more SakWiki-friendly than the last, so if ICanFixThat or enki_ck can upload, that would be wonderful. I tried to upload to SakWiki and again got an error - when I click on the main "Galleries" link, I get "You do not have permission to use this feature: tiki_p_list_image_galleries"

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 02:34:14 PM
OK, here's what was the problem in short.

The wiki was set up that the files and images were stored inside the database instead to a file storage. This caused the database to be huge and severely limited for larger files. Last week, when the forum and the wiki crashed, the forum went up flawlessly after that, but the wiki database needed to be restored from backup files. Whoey now, as of an hour ago, changed it from database to filesystem storage and transferred the files.

This enabled him to upload this PDF to the wiki. :tu:

I now linked the PDF to the catalog page:
http://www.sakwiki.com/ti...Swiss+Army+Knife+Catalogs

I checked and all of the pictures and galleries seem fine, but if you notice something, please let us know.

----------------------------------

OK, I ran the PDF through Photoshop, had it pull out the images and reduce them. Here's a link to the catalog as a set of jpgs in a zip file. This is an 8MB file instead of a 28MB like the one above.

This should be a lot more SakWiki-friendly than the last, so if ICanFixThat or enki_ck can upload, that would be wonderful. I tried to upload to SakWiki and again got an error - when I click on the main "Galleries" link, I get "You do not have permission to use this feature: tiki_p_list_image_galleries"

Where are you trying to upload it too? The regular image galleries don't accept files, we have two separate file galleries for the PDFs, one for Wenger and one for Victorinox.

Here's the Victorinox one. Can you upload there?

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=4

Also, should we keep the 28mb catalog or reduce the size of it?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 03:15:51 PM
I made a smaller PDF using the pictures provided by jazzbass. This one is 6.15mb.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30550284/1984-85%20Dealers%20catalog.pdf

(my private storage, not yet on the wiki)

Which one for the wiki, the big one or this? Not sure how much detail is lost with reducing the file size, but probably not much considering it was a printed catalog.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 03:36:07 PM
And the software was just updated to tikiwiki 12 LTS. Hopefully we can avoid further crashes this way and make it easier to maintain.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 10:28:37 PM
Thanks!  great work guys sounds like you have it all sorted out!   :salute: :salute: :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $91.95
PayPal Fees: $4.93
Net Balance: $87.02
Below Goal: $212.98
Site Currency: USD
29%