Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show off your Sak mod's!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Show off your Sak mod's!
Reply #4680 on: October 05, 2016, 09:44:29 PM
New page banana man dance.     :nanadance:   :nanadance:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #4681 on: October 06, 2016, 01:14:11 AM
Am currently doing a friend a favour who asked me to replace the chipped blade on his favourite Wenger SAK with that from a donor.
My first time disassembling a Wenger...
First observation is that there are no bushings that will lock scales in place... Instead, the locking system is built onto the outer liners ......
Another thing I observed is the bottle opener/screw driver... interesting locking mechanism if press down while in use. Seems to lock onto the notch of the backspring..
Nice post and pics Jaya-Man - awlthough I think you got your awl and cs springs swapped over in the top piccie 
Yep the Wenger screwdriver locking mechanism is indeed ingenious - Why don't Vic adopt it ? ???

And VG of you to do this favour for your friend....... But I've gotta ask this...
You have two,  two-layer/corkscrew Wengers - A Viking (chipped blade) and a Commander - And you switched the blade from the Commander to the Viking
Why could your friend not just carry the Commander? - Or even reprofile the blade on the Viking ? .............. Seems so much simpler ???  :think: ..........Although not as much fun for you!!
Is the second blade, or the Marlborough logo, so important to him ? I guess sentimental value could come in here

@ ALM - Mindblowingly amazing work as always  :tu:  :)

??? How did you know that would happen ???

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #4682 on: October 06, 2016, 02:21:39 AM
Zman is from the future, so he knows when each new page will occur :ahhh

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4683 on: October 06, 2016, 03:35:42 AM
Am currently doing a friend a favour who asked me to replace the chipped blade on his favourite Wenger SAK with that from a donor.
First observation is that there are no bushings that will lock scales in place... Instead, the locking system is built onto the outer liners ......
Another thing I observed is the bottle opener/screw driver... interesting locking mechanism if press down while in use. Seems to lock onto the notch of the backspring..
Nice post and pics Jaya-Man - awlthough I think you got your awl and cs springs swapped over in the top piccie 
Yep the Wenger screwdriver locking mechanism is indeed ingenious - Why don't Vic adopt it ? ???

And VG of you to do this favour for your friend....... But I've gotta ask this...
You have two,  two-layer/corkscrew Wengers - A Viking (chipped blade) and a Commander - And you switched the blade from the Commander to the Viking
Why could your friend not just carry the Commander? - Or even reprofile the blade on the Viking ? .............. Seems so much simpler ???  :think: ..........Although not as much fun for you!!
Is the second blade, or the Marlborough logo, so important to him ? I guess sentimental value could come in here

Yup, my bad... I realized it before reassembly... the marlboro one is definitely of sentimental value... just reprofiling the blade will not make my friend any happier...

Completed the builds over the weekend and sent them back to my friend... I also asked my friend to have the chipped off blade reprofiled to something like a sheepsfoot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4684 on: October 06, 2016, 04:11:45 PM

Yup, my bad... I realized it before reassembly... the marlboro one is definitely of sentimental value... just reprofiling the blade will not make my friend any happier...

(Image removed from quote.)

Completed the builds over the weekend and sent them back to my friend... I also asked my friend to have the chipped off blade reprofiled to something like a sheepsfoot...

:popcorn:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4685 on: October 06, 2016, 07:38:27 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

:popcorn:
:cheers:

Offline Bob Wolfson

Reply #4686 on: October 12, 2016, 05:17:33 PM
Classic SD with 2 added custom blades - a plastic cutter and a bottle opener.
IMG_20161011_204523.jpg
* IMG_20161011_204523.jpg (Filesize: 172.88 KB)

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #4687 on: October 12, 2016, 08:16:19 PM
Classic SD with 2 added custom blades - a plastic cutter and a bottle opener.
Nice one Bob!  And welcome to the forum :cheers:

Are those custom blades originally from another classic?  That plastic cutter looks just like what's on the mini champ, nice work :tu:

Offline Bob Wolfson

Reply #4688 on: October 12, 2016, 09:54:37 PM
I fashioned the custom blades myself.  The plastic cutter was originally the small knife of a Classic, and the bottle opener was a Classic nail file.  I just worked them over with a Dremel tool.

Note that the bottle opener is reverse-levered as compared to the bottle opener on, say, a Rambler.  It's also a lot less robust being only half the thickness!  The plastic cutter is sharp along the barb and the entire edge, so it can also be used as a rope cutter.

This was my first attempt at customizing a SAK, and I had a lot of fun!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #4689 on: October 12, 2016, 11:40:12 PM
Nicely done Bob, and welcome :tu:

K-Tibbs

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4690 on: October 12, 2016, 11:45:28 PM

I don't often agree with Monrogue, but this time i'll make an exception  :P

Welcome aboard Bob. Nice job  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #4691 on: October 12, 2016, 11:46:33 PM

I don't often agree with Monrogue, but this time i'll make an exception 

Welcome aboard Bob. Nice job  :tu:
Hey!  :rofl:

K-Tibbs

Offline Bob Wolfson

Reply #4692 on: October 13, 2016, 03:18:35 AM
Thanks for all your approval!

I hadn't learned until recently that one could take a sak apart, and when I did I just had to try.  I've carried a classic SD daily for 30 years or more, and had spares so... Now that I know how, I think I'll buy some used ones on eBay and play around some more.

Off topic question: does anyone make custom scales that accept the toothpick and tweezers?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4693 on: October 13, 2016, 03:30:13 AM
Thanks for all your approval!

I hadn't learned until recently that one could take a sak apart, and when I did I just had to try.  I've carried a classic SD daily for 30 years or more, and had spares so... Now that I know how, I think I'll buy some used ones on eBay and play around some more.

Off topic question: does anyone make custom scales that accept the toothpick and tweezers?

Yes, you! You've just not mastered it yet  :D

Seriously, give it a go. All the tool modders here started out just the way you have done, by expanding their thinking and then getting stuck in. There's loads of people here who can help you get started if you have any questions  :cheers:

Offline Bob Wolfson

Reply #4694 on: October 13, 2016, 04:41:04 AM

Yes, you! You've just not mastered it yet  :D

No doubt, no doubt. But I was more looking to see if someone sells them.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #4695 on: October 13, 2016, 05:15:18 AM
Welcome to the SAK madhouse Bob
Great to see you enjoying your first modding experience - I am in the same boat right now - also with a 58mm mod (well more of a repair!!)

As 50ft said some guys here make their own.
Here is archerwin's blog

MWDP makes amazing scales for SAKs - But I think he only sells them with the knife - Someone else asked if he sold only scales a while ago, he preferred not to - due to fitting etc
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,49104.0.html

And then we have our amazing Syph - Who does sell his scales - But they only have a slot for the tw - I think he has not found a way to secure the tp in place yet
Look at the later pages and his titanium scales

gb Offline Rototype

Reply #4696 on: October 19, 2016, 10:54:05 PM
New pic of Yew scales - 1st draft. Still need to cut the end holes for the T&T, although migh use Wenger system which will reduce work and look nicer. No varnish or oil on these yet (as I said - first draft) - as they still need a bit of sanding, and I'm tempted to pop them on the miller and cut a little + as a logo... Thoughts?
YewSAK1.jpg
* YewSAK1.jpg (Filesize: 180.2 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4697 on: October 19, 2016, 11:20:12 PM
New pic of Yew scales - 1st draft. Still need to cut the end holes for the T&T, although migh use Wenger system which will reduce work and look nicer. No varnish or oil on these yet (as I said - first draft) - as they still need a bit of sanding, and I'm tempted to pop them on the miller and cut a little + as a logo... Thoughts?

Nice!  :like:

I plan to do some scales at some point. I won't be putting a cross or logo on the scales. I understand why people do that, but for me, the scales aren't Swiss. If I've gone to the trouble of making them, they'll have whatever logo I choose or none at all  :D

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #4698 on: October 20, 2016, 01:23:02 AM
New pic of Yew scales - 1st draft. Still need to cut the end holes for the T&T, although might use Wenger system which will reduce work and look nicer. No varnish or oil on these yet (as I said - first draft) - as they still need a bit of sanding, and I'm tempted to pop them on the miller and cut a little + as a logo... Thoughts?

Very nice looking Classic  RT - I love wooden scales - And hope to make my own some day.
I am a big fan of the TT, so would need to include them - But always worried about how to do that bit  >:(  - Although Archerwin and MWDP seem to manage OK.

Using the Wenger system is a brilliant idea. - Will you actually use W TT or will you mod V TT to do it - I will have a  think and a check on that  :tu: :D

Re the cross I was planning to stick a regular Vic shield on the SAK (Archerwin does this) - But not sure how secure that would be  ???
- I wondered about digging out a bit of wood to fit it - But that would be very delicate and tricky work.
Just a cut cross would be OK too  :tu:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 01:24:57 AM by Huntsman »

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #4699 on: October 20, 2016, 11:19:28 AM
Using the Wenger system is a brilliant idea. - Will you actually use W TT or will you mod V TT to do it - I will have a  think and a check on that  :tu: :D

That is an interesting idea.  Gives the scales a cleaner look too.  It seems the Wenger toothpick and tweezers are still readily available as spares so it seems like a very viable option.  Do the Wenger ones require a cutout in the liner to accommodate the heads of the T&T?

00 Offline timganev

Reply #4700 on: October 21, 2016, 09:54:37 AM
Greetings everyone. I am new in this forum. English is not my native language, please excuse me for any misspelling.
Few years ago I decided to buy SAK. I was looking for pocket friendly, 84mm, one layer and Victorinox Waiter seemed a good choice. I found that I rarely used the corkscrew and I start to think about modification.
I bought a second Waiter because I did not want to risk my favorite knife and this is the result:
IMG_20161010_103750а.jpg
* IMG_20161010_103750а.jpg (Filesize: 74.74 KB)
IMG_20161010_104000а.jpg
* IMG_20161010_104000а.jpg (Filesize: 76.43 KB)
IMG_20161010_104515а.jpg
* IMG_20161010_104515а.jpg (Filesize: 86.63 KB)
IMG_20161010_105020а.jpg
* IMG_20161010_105020а.jpg (Filesize: 75.16 KB)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 10:02:01 AM by timganev »

00 Offline timganev

Reply #4701 on: October 21, 2016, 09:56:44 AM
And the almost finished product:
IMG_20161011_195019а.jpg
* IMG_20161011_195019а.jpg (Filesize: 69.19 KB)
IMG_20161012_093601а.jpg
* IMG_20161012_093601а.jpg (Filesize: 64.75 KB)
IMG_20161012_093722а.jpg
* IMG_20161012_093722а.jpg (Filesize: 59.56 KB)
IMG_20161014_085858_827а.jpg
* IMG_20161014_085858_827а.jpg (Filesize: 57.98 KB)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 10:01:00 AM by timganev »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4702 on: October 21, 2016, 10:12:05 AM
Welcome timganev! Great post - nice mod and something we don't see here too often. Your English is, as most non English members here, excellent and puts most of us native speakers to shame.  :salute:

Is this your first mod or are there others to show?

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

00 Offline timganev

Reply #4703 on: October 21, 2016, 10:30:17 AM
Welcome timganev! Great post - nice mod and something we don't see here too often. Your English is, as most non English members here, excellent and puts most of us native speakers to shame.  :salute:

Is this your first mod or are there others to show?

Thank you!
This is my third mod, but the first two are more like hmm… unfinished prototypes  :)
(small wallet friendly Wenger and 2 layer Victorinox ) 

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #4704 on: October 21, 2016, 10:47:51 AM
:like:
How did you solder the bit holder to the corkscrew part ?
This mod is something I should give a try, but with smaller bit holder (like small electronic multi-bit drivers)
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Show off your Sak mod's!
Reply #4705 on: October 21, 2016, 11:02:24 AM
Awesome mod... truly out of the box... welcome... did you make the scales yourself? would love to see your first 2 mods as well... :cheers:

« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 11:04:04 AM by jaya_man »

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #4706 on: October 21, 2016, 11:09:14 AM
This mod is something I should give a try, but with smaller bit holder (like small electronic multi-bit drivers)

It looks like a weld to me. My (not very well informed) guess is that any kind of weld should work fine but that a magnet might not survive.

I really like the mod and this seems like something Victorinox should do themselves and that could be a new answer to the Phillips or corkscrew debate. Well done!

00 Offline timganev

Reply #4707 on: October 21, 2016, 11:20:20 AM

I did not have power tools.
Cutting, filing and sanding - handmade
I found small workshop and the man there repair everything from cars to
boilers. I bought him а coffee and he did the welding for free. Then I put back the magnet in the bit holder and again filing and sanding… :D
I like the standard bits because if I ruined it is easy to replace it with another one

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #4708 on: October 21, 2016, 11:26:00 AM
I really like the mod and this seems like something Victorinox should do themselves and that could be a new answer to the Phillips or corkscrew debate. Well done!

+1 Welcome to the forums timganev :cheers:

One word of caution, though, the aluminium liners and little brass pin can't take much force :salute:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 11:27:04 AM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

00 Offline timganev

Reply #4709 on: October 21, 2016, 11:32:09 AM
It looks like a weld to me. My (not very well informed) guess is that any kind of weld should work fine but that a magnet might not survive.

Thank you!
Yes it was welded… I also was afraid for the magnet  :think: and you can see it removed on the 4th picture...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%