Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show off your Sak mod's!

us Offline SteelRaven

• Steel is a mystical thing!!
Re: Show off your Sak mod's!
Reply #4740 on: October 29, 2016, 01:31:21 AM
 :like:
"As a matter of Survival, all creatures are fair game"

Les Stroud.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4741 on: October 29, 2016, 05:34:05 AM
New page banana man dance

:nanadance:       :nanadance:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4742 on: October 29, 2016, 05:34:55 AM
I guess this belongs here: My first mod: A bladeless Cybertraveller Lite of sorts.
It runs on 3 batteries, is made almost entirely of plastic and liners, and does not like to get wet or dirty.  :facepalm:
-Tom

Nice, a great combination of tools for jobs like delicate electronics repair.

An excellent mod that I have never seen :like:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4743 on: October 29, 2016, 09:02:32 AM

There's some great things going on in this thread  :salute:

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline SteelRaven

• Steel is a mystical thing!!
Reply #4744 on: October 29, 2016, 11:54:51 AM
Me thinks I need a tutoring session and a small moe sheen shop to did dis! But it sure looks fun yeah.

All those tiny parts, bushings, washers...wow...when I worked as an apprentice gunsmith in NC, in the shoppe we snickered and called it the "springs n things" syndrome.

If you had good sense in your noggin you learned to took stuff apart in such a way that a tiny spring didnt fly off into space and enter the black hole of forgetfulness! :rofl: but it sure is fun.
"As a matter of Survival, all creatures are fair game"

Les Stroud.

Offline Bob Wolfson

Reply #4745 on: October 31, 2016, 01:38:54 AM
So, here's a slightly re-organized Rambler with 3-ply brass scales with T&T slots.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 04:39:29 AM by Bob Wolfson »

Offline Bob Wolfson

Reply #4746 on: October 31, 2016, 05:00:07 AM
2nd try
Here's a reorganized Rambler with 3-ply brass scales for the T&T.

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #4747 on: October 31, 2016, 01:15:16 PM
Finally got the mini router bits through so here's the first production prototype. I don't know if I mentioned before but I got a big batch of these from the US (I think they were customs confiscations... hence nothing bladeless) - there were over 100 SDs in there so I need some outlet for them, and I have a large block of Yew so it seemed logical to enhance them (many have advertising on them as well, so I really need to change the scales). Surprisingly it seems like most of them have pretty much never been used, despite being somewhat scuffed...

The finish is Tung Oil (Danish oil basically) and the problem of how to stop the T&T falling out is a bit of a moot point - my problem is how to get them out easily as the slots are milled to such a tolerance they're actually a little stiff :( although I expect with use these will ease off a bit. To the gentleman who was asking about custom scales with T&T slots, Yes, I will be supplying these when I get the production sorted out so it runs a bit smoother, PM me for more details. Once I have the production sorted I see no reason that other materials can't be used - there are some very nice acrylics out there for the pen turning market that will quite nicely slice up to make scales... (I'm looking at some nice pearlescent green ones at the moment.. :)

Like the yew  :tu:
Did you oil them before fitting or after?  I'm making some wood scales for my Apprentice that I'm planning to finish with Danish oil, and oiling the scales before fitting seems easier, but I'm not sure whether epoxy will stick to the oiled surface.

Offline Bob Wolfson

Reply #4748 on: October 31, 2016, 02:07:01 PM
Ok, I give up. Is there a way to post pictures from Google drive or Photos? Everything I've tried fails.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #4749 on: October 31, 2016, 02:08:52 PM
You can attach them directly to your post.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' thingy below the reply box.  There's a restriction on the number and size of images per post though.

Offline Bob Wolfson

Reply #4750 on: October 31, 2016, 02:45:20 PM
You can attach them directly to your post.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' thingy below the reply box.  There's a restriction on the number and size of images per post though.

That's to attach from one's PC (upload). As you point out, there are size restrictions (and who has 1MB files these days?)

I have already uploaded my pictures to google Drive and Photos. But even when the are shared to "anyone with the link" they don't show up here when the link is inserted between IMG tags. Is there a trick?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:50:23 PM by Bob Wolfson »

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #4751 on: October 31, 2016, 02:59:15 PM

That's to attach from one's PC (upload). As you point out, there are size restrictions (and who has 1MB files these days?)

I have already uploaded my pictures to google Drive and Photos. But even when the are shared to "anyone with the link" they don't show up here when the link is inserted between IMG tags. Is there a trick?

The problem is on the Google side.  Looking at the page source, the forum is emitting correctly formatted IMG tags in your posts.  But navigating to the source of the image, e.g. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/bE1Heu5RG4j63J9QXxHiApUYuQoorn-oOZ7GARl-xwuWyJF1dUa35qFgYouOAZydg24FDEBj=w1600-h766-rw , gives a 403 Forbidden error.

Offline Bob Wolfson

Reply #4752 on: November 01, 2016, 02:00:45 AM
3rd try...  Google makes it  :rant: UNBELIEVABLY HARD :rant: to get a direct URL to an image in Drive!  They won't just give it to you.  You have to take what they supply, and delete/add parts in Notepad!!  Really bad job, Google!

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #4753 on: November 01, 2016, 02:11:49 AM
Looks great tho Bob  :tu:
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

Offline Bob Wolfson

Reply #4754 on: November 01, 2016, 02:34:51 AM
Just testing to see if it's easier to insert pictures from Google Photos. (Seems to be.)

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 02:36:39 AM by Bob Wolfson »

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #4755 on: November 01, 2016, 06:52:20 AM
3rd try...  Google makes it  :rant: UNBELIEVABLY HARD :rant: to get a direct URL to an image in Drive!  They won't just give it to you.  You have to take what they supply, and delete/add parts in Notepad!!  Really bad job, Google!

(Image removed from quote.)

Looks like you made the same mistake I did (on my Ti Rambler), the file is flipped and the coarse side is toward the scale  :oops:

Nice scales BTW!
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

Offline Bob Wolfson

Reply #4756 on: November 01, 2016, 01:16:08 PM

Looks like you made the same mistake I did (on my Ti Rambler), the file is flipped and the coarse side is toward the scale  :oops:

Nice scales BTW!

No mistake!  It's flipped so there's less chance of the T&T falling out when hanging from a key chain, and the nail nick for the file is more easily accessible behind the recurve in the spine of the bottle opener. (Even on a stock Rambler the coarse side is to the scale because V just uses the same file as on a Classic, where it sits on the same side as the blade. They should have mirrored it, imo.)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 01:23:13 PM by Bob Wolfson »

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #4757 on: November 01, 2016, 03:13:55 PM

Nice scales BTW!

No mistake!  It's flipped so there's less chance of the T&T falling out when hanging from a key chain, and the nail nick for the file is more easily accessible behind the recurve in the spine of the bottle opener. (Even on a stock Rambler the coarse side is to the scale because V just uses the same file as on a Classic, where it sits on the same side as the blade. They should have mirrored it, imo.)
Really? the file coarse is toward the scale on stock Rambler?? (I don't have any Rambler to check, as the one I bought is now modded)
==> That would mean I didn't make a mistake when assembling it  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
That's crazy !  :like:

Offline Bob Wolfson

Reply #4758 on: November 02, 2016, 02:15:12 AM

Really? the file coarse is toward the scale on stock Rambler?? (I don't have any Rambler to check, as the one I bought is now modded)
==> That would mean I didn't make a mistake when assembling it  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Because the Rambler knife and file are the same as on the Classic, where they are on the same side in different slices, their nail nicks have to face opposite each other. When they are moved into the same slice on a Rambler, one nick must end up facing into the other slice. I chose to make it the file's, as did V, and as a result the coarse side is away from the other slice, i.e. to the scale.

But where V puts it alongside the scissors, I put it alongside the opener.  There, its nick lines up perfectly behind the opener's inward curve. I find it a little easier to get to than when it's facing the scissors in V's configuration, though not as easy as when it faces the scale.

You could just as well have the file's nick face the scale and let the knife's face the middle behind the opener, but the knife gets used a lot and ought be very easy to open. It would have been nicest if V had made a mirror image of the file to use in the Rambler. Then all nicks could have faced scales.

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #4759 on: November 02, 2016, 09:24:33 PM
Finally received the screws I was waiting for, and was able to fit a pocket clip on my Electrician X.

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #4760 on: November 03, 2016, 05:26:05 PM

Because the Rambler knife and file are the same as on the Classic, where they are on the same side in different slices, their nail nicks have to face opposite each other. When they are moved into the same slice on a Rambler, one nick must end up facing into the other slice. I chose to make it the file's, as did V, and as a result the coarse side is away from the other slice, i.e. to the scale.

But where V puts it alongside the scissors, I put it alongside the opener.  There, its nick lines up perfectly behind the opener's inward curve. I find it a little easier to get to than when it's facing the scissors in V's configuration, though not as easy as when it faces the scale.

You could just as well have the file's nick face the scale and let the knife's face the middle behind the opener, but the knife gets used a lot and ought be very easy to open. It would have been nicest if V had made a mirror image of the file to use in the Rambler. Then all nicks could have faced scales.
Thank you for your explanation!

Offline Bob Wolfson

Reply #4761 on: November 05, 2016, 10:48:30 PM
An Executive (74mm) with a bottle opener/phillips driver transplanted from a Rambler (58mm).  Because it's nice to have a longer blade and still be able to open your beer.   :drink:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4762 on: November 05, 2016, 10:53:56 PM
An Executive (74mm) with a bottle opener/phillips driver transplanted from a Rambler (58mm).  Because it's nice to have a longer blade and still be able to open your beer.   :drink:

Nice mod Bob  :like: What back spring did you use to make this work with the bottle opener/phillips driver :think:  :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 10:55:29 PM by Poncho65 »

Offline Bob Wolfson

Reply #4763 on: November 05, 2016, 11:20:33 PM

Nice mod Bob  :like: What back spring did you use to make this work with the bottle opener/phillips driver :think:  :cheers:

3 knives went into this - 2 Executives and a Rambler. The Rambler just provided the bottle opener.

The 2 Execs provide one full thickness pair of springs for the long and short knife blades in layer 1 (as usual for an Exec), and in layer 2 there are 4 half-thick springs arranged as in a Classic, for the file and peeler (each half thick) and bottle opener (full thick). (A normal Exec has 2 springs for the file and peeler).

The leftover parts are good for making a Classic SD, and a one-layer 74mm knife with scissors and a long and short blade. You wind up with an orphan file and peeler.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4764 on: November 06, 2016, 04:48:45 AM

3 knives went into this - 2 Executives and a Rambler. The Rambler just provided the bottle opener.

The 2 Execs provide one full thickness pair of springs for the long and short knife blades in layer 1 (as usual for an Exec), and in layer 2 there are 4 half-thick springs arranged as in a Classic, for the file and peeler (each half thick) and bottle opener (full thick). (A normal Exec has 2 springs for the file and peeler).

The leftover parts are good for making a Classic SD, and a one-layer 74mm knife with scissors and a long and short blade. You wind up with an orphan file and peeler.

Thanks for the explanation :salute:

:like:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Show off your Sak mod's!
Reply #4765 on: November 07, 2016, 02:35:35 PM
Finally completed this custom Golfer 84mm... First time to work with Copper... Finishing could be better...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 02:49:54 PM by jaya_man »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4766 on: November 07, 2016, 02:53:49 PM
That is lush J Man! Lush!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4767 on: November 07, 2016, 03:08:20 PM
That is lush J Man! Lush!
Thx Mags... :cheers:

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #4768 on: November 07, 2016, 04:23:15 PM
Stunning mate. I'm loving the color play between the brass pins and the copper scales.  :cheers:

Is it going to be a shelf queen or a user ?
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4769 on: November 07, 2016, 05:28:36 PM
Stunning mate. I'm loving the color play between the brass pins and the copper scales.  :cheers:

Is it going to be a shelf queen or a user ?
Thanks Mate... it's a user... the brass pins also goes well with the brass liners

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD