Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Survival Entertainment? Cody Lundin fired from Dual Survival.

comis · 33 · 3418

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
From time to time, I listen to the "Equipped 2 Endure" youtube podcast, and there was a recent episode where these guys were discussing Cody Lundin being fired from "Dual Survival" on Discovery Channel and an interview he did with someone.  I haven't watch Season 4(not yet aired in Asia) but was a little shock to find that out. :ahhh

I don't know Cody Lundin other than reading his book (98 degree, which was a great read if you are interested in survival topics) and watching Dual Survival.  But I genuinely like his approach to wilderness survival, where risk has to be mitigated or minimized.  The complete opposite what usually seen in Man vs Wild, with many unnecessary stunts.

After listening to the podcast, I did a search to find out the original interview that E2E guys were referring to.  And apparently, there are a lot happenings behind the scene that most viewers may not know about the show.

Here is a interview done by a Blades and Bushcraft member and Cody Lundin:
Survival Entertainment, Friend or Foe? An exclusive interview with Cody Lundin
I do like some of the info presented in this site, especially the 'survival news' which I could learn a thing or two.  And it is a good reminder why people should be somewhat be prepared before heading outdoor.  :tu:

The podcast on Equip 2 Endure:
E2E Podcast 336 Dual Survival Impact and Knock Out Games by Equip 2 Endure
By the way, it is disturbing to hear about the 'knock out' games, it deserves more media and parents attention.  About DS, fast forward to 37:40.

I really don't know enough about Cody Lundin, Discovery, E2E or even Survival skill in general to comment.  But one thing for certain is 'survival' (or even 'bushcraft') has no doubt become fully commercialized, and sometime I feel it is just as silly as painting everything black and calling items 'tactical'.  :facepalm:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Thanks for the link, I'll read it, see it when soon hopefully.

hr Offline Subterranean

@comis - My thoughts exactly, sir!!! Survivalism and tactical gear have partially become a modern, public circus.

I have been interested in the healthy, realistic survivalism for some time. However, on the Internet, most of the people I encounter are childish weirdos who spend 99% of their time bragging about their latest super-übermensch-tactical knife and tossing the regular, everday items as "not being robust enough for the survival situation". There are actually people who think that SAKs are toys unfit for the survival. I have also heard that almost all affordable knives, including the Mora knives are bad, weak, untrusty knives. "If it's priced under $100, it's not a real quality knife. Real quality knives are around $150-200."  :facepalm:

:rant: :facepalm:

I have found many interesting advices, but many topics are still not discussed seriously enough.

"Ordinary" people in my country know almost NOTHING about being prepared for unwanted situations. In the past, there have been floods and earthquakes in my country + about 20 years ago, there was an actual war here going on... Did people actually learn something? Do they have the basic gear and basic knowledge? Nope.  :facepalm:

In the meanwhile, sellers are earning big money on the super-duper-brutal-tactical gear, which is being bought by such "survival" freaks. What is going to be next? Tactical toilet paper?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
See, I es-chew that whole ethos by buying super cheap Rambo survival knives.  :facepalm:  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice

No worries, I'd love to hear what you think.

@comis - My thoughts exactly, sir!!! Survivalism and tactical gear have partially become a modern, public circus.

I have been interested in the healthy, realistic survivalism for some time. However, on the Internet, most of the people I encounter are childish weirdos who spend 99% of their time bragging about their latest super-übermensch-tactical knife and tossing the regular, everday items as "not being robust enough for the survival situation". There are actually people who think that SAKs are toys unfit for the survival. I have also heard that almost all affordable knives, including the Mora knives are bad, weak, untrusty knives. "If it's priced under $100, it's not a real quality knife. Real quality knives are around $150-200."  :facepalm:

I have found many interesting advices, but many topics are still not discussed seriously enough.

"Ordinary" people in my country know almost NOTHING about being prepared for unwanted situations. In the past, there have been floods and earthquakes in my country + about 20 years ago, there was an actual war here going on... Did people actually learn something? Do they have the basic gear and basic knowledge? Nope.  :facepalm:

In the meanwhile, sellers are earning big money on the super-duper-brutal-tactical gear, which is being bought by such "survival" freaks. What is going to be next? Tactical toilet paper?

I think in terms of 'survival' or 'preparedness', we need to have more out-of-box thinking in terms of skills/gears.  I for one don't quite care about the price tag, and I am all pro-performance, as long as I could afford it.  I know I will never attain the same skill levels as many survival experts or seasonal outdoorsman, but I practice what I can and try to keep my mind humble and critical most of the time.

It is sad to hear the history keep on repeating itself, for some region of the world, people are more or less aware of the potential threats that they face and do have preparedness at hearts.  I have seen a lot of Japanese folks, having experienced many minor quarks, have ready kits handy at work or at home.  Back in China, I think some are starting to realize quarks could be re-occurring, and start to develop the readiness mindset for it.

Maybe you could at least help out those whom are close to you?  So at least you won't live with regrets if something ever happened.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
See, I es-chew that whole ethos by buying super cheap Rambo survival knives.  :facepalm:  :D

Nah, Chako.  I love your Rambo knives, and I am sure you have collected many multiple sets of survival gears that you probably could sustain a whole village.  :D :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
I do have a thing for survival gear...that is true.

My mind is that you have to adapt to the situation with whatever you have at hand. I think too many people either don't think about survival or over think it.

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: Survival Entertainment? Cody Lundin fired from Dual Survival.
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 05:17:43 AM
Mindset is more important than materials.

necessity is the mother of Invention adaptability

Think, reason, and survive.

that is how I look at it.   if the plane manages a safe crash landing  ::)  TSA will have made sure all your high dollar survival gear was not allowed.  brains will be the tools.

I will dig a trench with a seashell if I have too.
If I can help, let me know 

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 05:55:43 AM
I think too many people either don't think about survival or over think it.

I think that's probably a matter of prospective, and I've been labelled as latter more often than not.  :facepalm: :D

And if you've read the interview, Lundin did touch on a good point about context and priorities.  Even though most people have some idea about what to do to survive, but having the wrong priorities in different situation may cause harm or even life.  I am not survival expert nor do I have the extensive experience about this, but I am always eager to learn more since I think that's downside protection.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 06:03:14 AM
Mindset is more important than materials.

necessity is the mother of Invention adaptability

Think, reason, and survive.

that is how I look at it.   if the plane manages a safe crash landing  ::)  TSA will have made sure all your high dollar survival gear was not allowed.  brains will be the tools.

I will dig a trench with a seashell if I have too.

That will make you the title of local newspaper: "MT.O member find multiple use for seashell"  :D

It is quite a hassle to travel nowadays, the TSA practice has spread worldwide and even travelling in China, I usually don't have to take off shoes for the scan, but I rarely see anyone can pass the screening without a metal detector search.  And the line is always long...

And about plane crash, I hope we don't have any Malaysian member who is affected in anyway with this.  My condolences go to those families.  The saddest part of two consecutive plane crashes is one particular family do have family members killed in both plane crashes, that's just make me sad.

us Offline David

Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 07:29:43 AM
Well equipped trained people die every year when the real world goes bravo sierra. Because they didnt have the proper mind set and emotional stability to deal with the situation that overtook them. I have nothing against training and good equipment but they will not help you overcome your own weaknesses in a high stress survival situation. It doesnt matter if it is wilderness or urban. When your in a hostile envoirment being able to have grace under fire will carry you further than the most tricked out toy there is.    :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 07:38:20 AM
Well equipped trained people die every year when the real world goes bravo sierra. Because they didnt have the proper mind set and emotional stability to deal with the situation that overtook them. I have nothing against training and good equipment but they will not help you overcome your own weaknesses in a high stress survival situation. It doesnt matter if it is wilderness or urban. When your in a hostile envoirment being able to have grace under fire will carry you further than the most tricked out toy there is.    :)

I'd have to agree with this.  I've only recently watched those "survival" shows and while I respect each of the shows experts I'd rather pair up with the likes of someone level headed and calm under pressure.  I dont actually care for the macho lets go hard attitude as in some situations caution and calm win out.   

I've also seen how stress can defeat even very well trained people.  Training is great but real world stresses have a huge factor that cannot be accounted for until an actual event really occurs.  Mental toughness and great training are a winning combination.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David

Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 08:25:03 AM

I'd have to agree with this.  I've only recently watched those "survival" shows and while I respect each of the shows experts I'd rather pair up with the likes of someone level headed and calm under pressure.  I dont actually care for the macho lets go hard attitude as in some situations caution and calm win out.   

I've also seen how stress can defeat even very well trained people.  Training is great but real world stresses have a huge factor that cannot be accounted for until an actual event really occurs.  Mental toughness and great training are a winning combination.   

:tu:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 11:42:25 AM

About those survival shows, what's interesting to me is how modern TV show portray 'survival skill' vs the real 'survival' scenarios.  Using an example in Dual Survival, there's always an element of food in their 72 hours(for few days) survival and seems like they are always moving about to find rescue, but in reality, those may or may not be their priorities or what should be done to get rescued.  I understand it's just business, and usually some conflicts or wild elements on show will have better ratings, but they also affect how general public learn about survival.

Totally agree on having a positive attitude(and maybe a sense of humor) is utterly important in survival, and it is not conflicting to have good planning/skill/gears alongside.  There are always going to be stories about survivor staying alive with the minimum in adverse condition or vice versa, but that shouldn't undermine any aspect of preparation/skill/gears.  To sum it up, without sounding too much like a fortune cookie, balance is important and over-relying on any single aspect of those may just lead to unpleasant experience/injuries/casualties.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 12:32:21 PM
the problem is who would watch a series of shows (maybe 10 eps.) of a bloke siting by a 'smokey' fire for 72 hours a time ?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 12:47:03 PM
the problem is who would watch a series of shows (maybe 10 eps.) of a bloke siting by a 'smokey' fire for 72 hours a time ?
Me.  :popcorn:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 03:19:45 PM

Actually I would not mind watching a skilled person demonstrating in detail how to build a shelter piece by piece, wich knots to use and so on. Same goes for fire building and maintenance, methods of collecting water, finding easy calories and such. 10x 28 min of that would be a show I would follow :)
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 04:30:55 PM

Actually I would not mind watching a skilled person demonstrating in detail how to build a shelter piece by piece, wich knots to use and so on. Same goes for fire building and maintenance, methods of collecting water, finding easy calories and such. 10x 28 min of that would be a show I would follow :)

It's TV and they need to make a buck so understandably they have to keep on the move to make things interesting.  I'd also love to see what Gathr mentions.  It would be great to see the steps much like Les Strouds show demonstrated vs these other shows. 

I asked the question before regarding what survival skill would be more advantageous.  It would be great to see a priority sequence of stranded thru every effort to getting the attention of rescuers all the while surviving.  Remember the movie Cast Away with Tom Hanks?       
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 05:05:39 PM
I know that knowledge is probably the first thing you need in a survival situation, BUT a good, small kit can save you buttloads of time/energy, and that CAN be all the difference.

So, yes, gear is (or can be) important too.

I've said it before about the Rambo knives. I think they were the first lesson in survival for a lot of poeple, and that lesson is... get reliable gear.

For the folks that don't like Swiss army knives, and feel you need a $100+ knife... I'd point both to Adam from Equipped To Endure, and Dave Cantebury, who have both carried SAKs.

A friend of mine just did hikes in Bryce Canyon and the Grand Canyon. Day hikes, nothing too crazy. Before he took off, I made sure he had a descent little medical kit. He thought he was well prepared, but on a little short 2 mile trail, the soles on BOTH of his boots came off. Good boots, too. But they were old. He had superglue but it didn't work in the dusty environment. Having carried 10 feet of duct tape could have gotten him back to the trail head. Now, I think he will add that to his kit.

So, IMO... Mindset, yes. Skills, yes. Good Basic Gear, yes.

As for Survival Entertainment... Meh. I can take it or leave it. I liked Survivorman most out of the crop. He seemed most focused on something like reality. I just cannot STAND that Cody Lundin runs around barefoot. That is f'ing stupid in my opinion. I don't care how hard his soles are, they won't stop broken glass or nails. And in reality, there's a lot of broken glass, and a fair amount of nails.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 05:24:08 PM
I found some of the Ray Mears shows are a little more educational to watch, and it sometimes pass on local knowledge which could relevant in some 'survival' situation.

It's TV and they need to make a buck so understandably they have to keep on the move to make things interesting.  I'd also love to see what Gathr mentions.  It would be great to see the steps much like Les Strouds show demonstrated vs these other shows. 

I asked the question before regarding what survival skill would be more advantageous.  It would be great to see a priority sequence of stranded thru every effort to getting the attention of rescuers all the while surviving.  Remember the movie Cast Away with Tom Hanks?       

As much as I love to see what you guys have just mentioned, the funny part about TV is, the producer/production company probably have some strong opinion on what they think looks good on camera and what attracts audience, regardless the need to learn.  That is probably the reason why 'survivor' or the similar kind of show are so popular while they don't seem to put in the same budget/effort in other shows.

In addition to 'survival' skills, I am also genuinely interested to see some mini series where different types/regions of outdoorsman got invited on the show to demo different craftsmanship or outdoor living skill.  Or even how locals make their blade/crafts and what do they use them for, I am always interested in those subjects.

Btw, I just watched Andrew Skurka presentation on ultra light backpacking, whom is the Adventurer of the year by Outside mag.  This person has hiked more than 30,000 miles, and how he pack and accomplish his hikes is very interesting.

Adding to what Lynn just said, Andrew Skurka mainly use a SAK for his hikes, and no weapons or big knife for those thousands of miles.  Talk about massive skill, will power and multi-use.  :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 06:42:46 PM
I am going to be honest with you folks here, I am not much into survival shows. I have watched most of Les Strouds shows, barring the newest with his son. I like his show, but at times, find it absolutely stupid the man has to hike back and forth to set up and gather his cameras. That sort of shenanigans ruin the concept of the show for me.

Bear Grylls, now is a different kettle of fish. This man is known to do exciting stuff for TV, and is not a good survival type show. I will give him his due, he is super tough...but in a real survival situation, I think watching his shows is more detrimental than good. I mean, who in their right mind would go down deep in a mine in order to maybe get out of a climb to traverse a mountain.

With that all aside, this is my most ::) video of his. After first seeing this, I figured I had seen it all, and stopped watching the odd episode.

and then there is this one...

Bear Grylls =  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm: /5

Man, Woman, Wild was actually a not bad show. It shows a married couple with varying skills in survival situations. I think I liked this one because he teaches his wife survival skills. That teaching made for a few good episodes. I no longer see this one aired on tv...a shame that.

Dude, You're Screwed. This show I like because of the concept. Your buddies kidnap you, and drop you off in the middle of nowhere with a few useless objects, and you have to make it to a destination in a given time limit. Makes for good TV, but if I where them, I would look for better friends.  :facepalm:

I haven't seen any of the Ray Mears shows in ages, so I can't comment from my now distant hazy memories. What I do remember of his show...I quite liked.

Naked and Afraid. Ok, Where can I start about this show. This is definitely a made for TV consumption sort of thing. Really, who in their right mind would find themselves somewhere trying to survive buck naked. What amazes me, they don't seem to have a shortage of people wanting to get on the show. Not much to learn here either...unless you want to remain riveted to the TV watching all sorts of mistakes being made...hmmm...I guess there can be some educational value in this. I have only seen 3 episodes...and honestly can't be bothered to watch the rest.

Now onto Dual Survival. Only seen this show a few times. All I know is there are 2 guys, and they argue all the time and never seem to agree on anything. Cody Lundin likes to walk around bare foot and all...that after this thread was posted, I did a little search...as I am not a big fan of the show and only watched a few episodes. I came across this...and I kept thinking, Cody...why are you bare foot in the winter?

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/dual-survival/videos/farewell-to-cody-lundin.htm

But then the other guy isn't much better either. Shrugs.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:44:26 PM by Chako »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 09:46:01 PM
I think a lot of people here would enjoy Wild Food http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Food . It's the survivalish show I've enjoyed the most. Ray Mears seems sane and interested in teaching the viewers something.

+1 on Man, Woman, Wild not being half bad either, although a very different kettle of fish.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 10:15:39 AM
Chako,

No kidding, those are some of my most  ::) moments of Grylls shows.  I can never quite understand what's on top of that 200ft top railroad bridge, Spam? ::) ::)  Then climb the ledge with a rusty old slippery chain and walk into a narrow railway tunnel  ::) ::) ::)  I do admire his guts and sheer athleticism, a real fine stunt person.  For myself, I probably will stick with the boring route to get myself out safely.

Other shows I watch on and off, I remember liking a few Man, woman, wild episodes.  Never watch the Dude show, but only for the drama of Naked and Afraid.  I was a little surprise why someone with some military background knows so little about survival...do they just rely on their equipment and gears too much?

Yes, Lundin's bare foot walking is always a mystery to most.  I actually start watching this show merely because my curiosity and it catch my glimpse when I am flipping channels.  I was thinking whether it was a scenario or challenge, that a guy lost his shoes and now had to walk around bare footed.  But if I look past that, I felt he does have much to offer on that show and there is without doubt some good information on his book.  I actually quite like Dave Canterbury's sharing of his knowledge, but Joe Teti, sometimes I felt the military macho-ism gets better.  :think:

Steinar,

I think that'd be a great show, and I will see where I could find and watch it.  :tu:

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 12:05:33 PM

No worries, I'd love to hear what you think.

I think in terms of 'survival' or 'preparedness', we need to have more out-of-box thinking in terms of skills/gears.  I for one don't quite care about the price tag, and I am all pro-performance, as long as I could afford it.  I know I will never attain the same skill levels as many survival experts or seasonal outdoorsman, but I practice what I can and try to keep my mind humble and critical most of the time.

It is sad to hear the history keep on repeating itself, for some region of the world, people are more or less aware of the potential threats that they face and do have preparedness at hearts.  I have seen a lot of Japanese folks, having experienced many minor quarks, have ready kits handy at work or at home.  Back in China, I think some are starting to realize quarks could be re-occurring, and start to develop the readiness mindset for it.

Maybe you could at least help out those whom are close to you?  So at least you won't live with regrets if something ever happened.

I forgot to reply here.

I've managed to convince my family to make two basic bug out bags, and started to spread the word about taking care of our lives and properties more seriously. In my opinion, our society never really secured the very foundations of the human existence. Children should be taught to embrace the basic life-saving skills and real knowledge. Survival skills shouldn't be solely a discussion topic on the internet, but firmly integrated in our real lives. A bug out bag shouldn't be percepted by public as a neurotic weirdo's toy bag, but as a existence-preserving tool set. Being prepared does not equal being a neurotic weirdo who is constantly living in fear of the worst.

The TV shows such as the NG's "Doomsday preppers" have been harmful for the healthy survivalism, because they are showing the extremes: (often weird) people who disrupt their daily lives to build massive underground nuclear shelters, practiting shooting with automatic rifles and stuff like that. There aren't any practical tips for the "average Joe" who is actually starting to think about "prepping" for the first time in his/her life.

I was even thinking about contacting the serious journalists on our national TV station and suggesting them the creation of a serious educational TV series, made in the collaboration with the experts. There are few (albeit rare) survivalists here and there are some people in police/army/emergency services, who could give some correct and useful information to the public. Let's say that 10 sequels of 45 min length each, if done seriously, could cover the very basic issues of the SHTF situation. TV is a very powerful medium. The precious media space is wasted on silly/useless/brainwashing stuff. What we need is a seriously/professionally made, easily understandable TV material that is full of correct and useful survival tips for the "average Joe".

I am glad the people around me are starting to take me at least a bit more seriously lately. After the floods hitting the eastern part of our country, people are slowly starting to think more often of the life-endangering situations and how to prepare for them.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:07:08 PM by Subterranean »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 03:00:33 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Glad that your family has taken some steps to better preparation, and I think it is wise especially when the region is prone to be accidents prone.  (for example, higher earthquake occurrence if you live on pacific ring of fire)

Since we last posted, there was an earthquake happened in China Yunnan area, killing hundreds, and a gas leak explosion happened in Kaohsiung Taiwan, which was so strong that probably miles of road has collapsed and I have even seen picture of car blown to land on 2nd floor of buildings.

http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-strong-quake-southwest-china-20140803-story.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-28600097

Accidents do happen around the world, and some very basic items will always come in handy in those times of need.  :salute:

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 04:47:52 PM
Sorry to hear for the earthquakes, hope you and your family and friends are all OK.

P.S. Your Youtube video about the 72h kit is really, really good, sir.  :salute:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #26 on: August 09, 2014, 11:41:14 AM
I'm not sure if they still do, but our phone directories used to have information on the back page of what to have at the ready in case of an emergency.

Yeah I'm over things being called "tactical" and nonsense like that. I don't really like the term "bug-out bag" either - to me it sounds too much like a military thing.

I enjoy watching all those survival shows to some degree, but find I much prefer Ray Mears. As well as being less hyped and more educational, I also find it rather soothing to watch. Like when he spent a whole week learning how to make an Indian canoe.
I feel the same watching a documentary (a bit off-topic) by Dick Proenneke called "Alone In The Wilderness" about making a log cabin in Alaska to spend his retirement in - the craftsmanship!

I recently watched a Bear Grylls episode where he was here in New Zealand. Of course, there he was, racing off down canyons and into freezing water. No, that is not how you survive here - you STAY PUT and wait, because you would have (should have) told someone of your plans and rescue will be on it's way when you are overdue.
Honestly, that guy can't look at icy water without wanting to jump naked into it, also I suspect he has a fetish for drinking his own urine.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 11:45:28 AM by Syncop8r »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 01:45:58 PM
Sorry to hear for the earthquakes, hope you and your family and friends are all OK.

P.S. Your Youtube video about the 72h kit is really, really good, sir.  :salute:

Thanks for the concern.  Thankfully some friend who used to live there were no longer at those regions, but still the numbers keep growing and once again many poor quality built houses are brought to attention in Yunnan.

I'm not sure if they still do, but our phone directories used to have information on the back page of what to have at the ready in case of an emergency.

Yeah I'm over things being called "tactical" and nonsense like that. I don't really like the term "bug-out bag" either - to me it sounds too much like a military thing.

I enjoy watching all those survival shows to some degree, but find I much prefer Ray Mears. As well as being less hyped and more educational, I also find it rather soothing to watch. Like when he spent a whole week learning how to make an Indian canoe.
I feel the same watching a documentary (a bit off-topic) by Dick Proenneke called "Alone In The Wilderness" about making a log cabin in Alaska to spend his retirement in - the craftsmanship!

I recently watched a Bear Grylls episode where he was here in New Zealand. Of course, there he was, racing off down canyons and into freezing water. No, that is not how you survive here - you STAY PUT and wait, because you would have (should have) told someone of your plans and rescue will be on it's way when you are overdue.
Honestly, that guy can't look at icy water without wanting to jump naked into it, also I suspect he has a fetish for drinking his own urine.

A bit off topic, I think we have previously discussed about Alone in the Wilderness, and it was one of the gentlemen that brought an interesting subject onto table--that in modern history, no one can live/survive alone in the wilderness indefinitely.  But what sometimes confusing to people is the mix up between outdoor very short-term survival, and it often happens in Discovery dual survival.

I think part of the survival does involve fitness and physical condition, and I do admire Bear Grylls for his great athleticism.  But I only hope most viewers will understand those stunts are there for ratings, but may not be good to follow.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 02:34:00 PM
Alone in the Wilderness is a good one. I saw that ages ago.  :2tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: August 09, 2014, 03:40:52 PM
I'd like to add a bit on the topic of fitness and preparedness as Comis brought up.  I've mentioned it before regarding getting ones self into reasonably decent shape if you are to actually survive.  How the heck are some of these people we see on the net gonna make it 24 hours let alone 72?  With as much calories the average American consumes and their BOBs food rations, I'd say by dinner they wont.

It was mentioned earlier that some of this "survival" is merely hobby related.  That the "kits" being put together are also hobbies.  I tend to agree that for some it is fun to construct these BOBs or whatever they are called.  The collecting of gear, packing a back, repacking, discussing the contents, and everything else associated with it. 

The idea of actually surviving to me also involves getting the body in shape.  Can you actually carry all that gear?  What about those with families, can yo also carry theirs when they get tired?  What is the farthest you've actually hiked with that BOB?  I'm big on testing, so put in on and go for a walk.   

I'm a firm believer that mental toughness will come into play when stress levels are high.  Imagine you are out surviving and you run out of cigarettes? How many can go 24 hours without them?  How much vape juice do you bring?

I'm not trying to be a jerk but seriously what happens when you've eaten your rations and your kids are getting on your nerves?  I've seen people regularly turn into real A holes when they are hungry and this is waiting for a table at their favorite restaurant.   

Lastly, people please use your gear.  I've seen one to many videos where the gear is all pristine never haven been tested at all.  Go do what you plan on doing with the gear.  I like "run throughs" for getting a sense of how it will play out.  If you are gonna take it serious then IMO serious discussions need to be had. 

Sorry if I offended anyone I truly didn't mean to.   

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD