Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Annoying ebay sellers

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Annoying ebay sellers
on: September 15, 2014, 03:43:45 PM
I found the following exhange with an ebay seller very annoying, in fact I found them downright infuriating. 

The listing title (and description) was "Leatherman SuperTool Super 300 Multi tool Leather Sheath 831103 Super Tool NEW", but the photo was clearly of a Leatherman Core, so I thought I'd ask them what they were actually trying to sell.

Dear ebay seller,
Are you selling a ST 300 (as per your text) or a Core (as per your photos) ?
- gregozedobe

Dear gregozedobe,
im selling 1 with leather case like described
- ebay seller

Dear ebay seller,
Are you saying you are selling a Super Tool 300 and your photos of a Core ( a different model of tool) are incorrect ?
- gregozedobe

Dear gregozedobe,
i will not send internationally usa only
- ebay seller

Dear ebay seller,
I have a US postal address, but unless I know what tool it is you are selling I won't buy (and I doubt anyone else would either).
I'll make it simple for you:
What is the model name stamped on the handle of the tool you are selling ? Is it "Core" or "Super Tool 300" or something else ?
As your listing stands at the moment either the description or the photos must be incorrect. It is in your best interest to have a correct listing.
- gregozedobe

Dear gregozedobe,
1 leatherman 300 and a case what seems to be confussing you
- ebay seller

Dear ebay seller,
I'm confused by the photos for this listing quite clearly showing a Leatherman Core, not a Super Tool 300. Please take the time to have a good look at your photos on the actual listing and you'll see what I am talking about.
Would it be possible to put in some photos of the actual tool you are selling ?
- gregozedobe

Dear gregozedobe,
core
- ebay seller

Dear gregozedobe,
i corrected it so thank you for bringing to my attention if want to bid go ahead if not move on thx again
- ebay seller

Dear ebay seller,
Are you now telling me the tool you are trying to sell is actually a Leatherman CORE ?
- gregozedobe

Dear gregozedobe,
yes it was listed wrong thank you for bringing to my attention if you read the listing it was fixed.
- ebay seller

Dear gregozedobe,
i do have a supertool 300 as well but this is the core sorry about the mix up
- ebay seller

Am I just an old curmudgeon or would others also start to lose their cool trying to communicate with someone who is either stupid and/or too lazy to actually read and understand what I was saying/asking ?

I decided I did not want to send any of my money to someone this bad, as I could just imagine the difficulties if there happened to be anything wrong with the tool or it went missing in the mail.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Annoying ebay sellers
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 04:10:51 PM
Had the same thing on a different auction site over a Gerber.
Seller refused to confirm description or show photo of actual item.
I decided that it was probably fake or a scam and not worth the hassle.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 04:50:51 PM
I had a few incidents,
1. Sellers pictures were clearly not what was described and seller was just too stupid or a scammer to fix after bringing it to their attention. 

2. Sellers picture was of a Explorer and described as one yet what I received upon winning was a Champion.

What's frustrating is exactly what you laid out.  Their flippant attitude towards their mistake.  I also cannot stand the awful pictures some post. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Billy Ruffian

Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 05:12:41 PM
The bloke was just downright rude to you, what does he mean with his 'bid on it or move on' comment, I think I would have bitten at that. The whole thing reads like he got caught out with a misleading description and just didn't like it.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 07:59:51 PM
Am I just an old curmudgeon or would others also start to lose their cool trying to communicate with someone who is either stupid and/or too lazy to actually read and understand what I was saying/asking ?

I decided I did not want to send any of my money to someone this bad, as I could just imagine the difficulties if there happened to be anything wrong with the tool or it went missing in the mail.

you're not just an old curmudgeon, Greg. ;) I think just about any sane person would get upset with this sort of communication.

I've had similar experiences in the past (although not quite this bad!), and ultimately came to the same conclusion as you. I figured the seller was either too lazy/stupid to list the item correctly, or they were just playing dumb in an attempt to scam the buyer... either way, I didn't want them getting a dime of my money. :rant:

and you're right; I imagine it would be a nightmare trying to deal with a seller like this if there were any problems after the transaction had been completed.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 08:47:00 PM
Had many situations like yours in the past.

The latest episode was with a LM Wave few weeks back. The photo showed original OG Wave in mint condition. The auction title stated 'New Wave'. I asked if this was the original Wave in new condition or the new Wave model.
You can imagine how the rest of the conversation looked, with one-liner responses from the ignorant (or confused?) seller, and some dozen frustrating messages later I decided to pull out from auction, none the wiser.  :rant:
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 09:03:49 AM
The bloke was just downright rude to you, what does he mean with his 'bid on it or move on' comment, I think I would have bitten at that. The whole thing reads like he got caught out with a misleading description and just didn't like it.

Me too m8 - he's hardly going to persuade peeps to bid if he's being like that  ::)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 01:13:27 PM
I'd have posted his name here as well so that other people don't deal with him. 

Idiots like that need to be called out for poor customer service.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 06:08:34 PM
I'd have posted his name here as well so that other people don't deal with him. 

Done: Ebay Seller was topmorn2u
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 06:16:04 PM
Are you sure you didn't forget to type an additional "O" in the name, between the r and the n? >:D

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 06:19:45 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Philby

Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 10:46:21 PM
I find the 'payment pending' sellers the worst. I've won the auction, I've sent the funds and then............ Nothing, the seller hadn't claimed the payment for whatever reason!? It's happened to me twice, the first time I was able to contact the seller and things were sorted, the second time........two weeks later and still no response, so I cancelled the transaction, if they want to sell, they'll have to contact me.  Could be a number of reasons; they're on holiday, they're dead, they're in jail, they can't be bothered, or something else?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 02:22:10 AM
^^^

Happened to me as well.  Strange lot ebay sellers but dang it I have gotten some sweet deals so I guess every now and again some nonsensical bs happens. 
Esse Quam Videri

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 11:52:32 AM
I am ok with persons selling stuff they have no expertise in (And I am sure soem of us made some sweet deals on false/crude described Tools)
But I get angry if sellers don´t respond or won´t answer questons or correct obviously false pics/descriptions.

I once watched a MP 600 auction - He advertised a MP 600 ST in the title, used MP 600 EOD pics and the description of a standard MP 600.
I could not find out which variant he actually had, so I did not bid.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 01:33:54 PM
I have had problems with another eBay "seller".

He listed a very rare and valuable MT with an absolute bargain "Buy-It-Now" price, so of course I (being a fully-fledged MTo collector) swooped on it like a starving seagull after the last chip (fries) on the beach, paid immediately and asked that it be sent tracked and insured (offering to pay the extra postage costs).

I heard nothing for a while, then the seller sent me a message saying he wouldn't sell to me because I wasn't a US buyer (I had given him "my" US postal address as the listing stated "Will ship to United States"). 

So I said if that was the problem then sell it to my US friend instead, but no, "We've decided to hold off on the sale at this time."  Translation: "We've realized we sold this to you way too cheaply, so we refuse to honour our obligations, and we'll use any excuse we can to weasel out of the sale".  Oh, and so far not even an offer to refund the money I've already paid to him.   >:(

If he had been honest enough to tell me he made a mistake and admitted he wanted to sell it for more I would have been bitterly disappointed but accepted the truth and moved on, but he didn't so as a result he has annoyed me enough to give negative (but factual) feedback, and I will open an eBay case for an unsent item as soon as the time allowed for delivery has expired.

So, if anyone sees this 10th Anniversary gold-plated PST (No 83 of 200) being offered for sale then I would advise extreme caution in dealing with this seller, to the point of only handing over your money when you actually have the tool in your hands.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 02:15:56 PM
Sting the dodgy b'stard with a bad feedback. He totally deserved it.  :rant:

us Offline bdAmmo

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 07:28:42 PM
I have had problems with another eBay "seller".

He listed a very rare and valuable MT with an absolute bargain "Buy-It-Now" price, so of course I (being a fully-fledged MTo collector) swooped on it like a starving seagull after the last chip (fries) on the beach, paid immediately and asked that it be sent tracked and insured (offering to pay the extra postage costs).

I heard nothing for a while, then the seller sent me a message saying he wouldn't sell to me because I wasn't a US buyer (I had given him "my" US postal address as the listing stated "Will ship to United States"). 

So I said if that was the problem then sell it to my US friend instead, but no, "We've decided to hold off on the sale at this time."  Translation: "We've realized we sold this to you way too cheaply, so we refuse to honour our obligations, and we'll use any excuse we can to weasel out of the sale".  Oh, and so far not even an offer to refund the money I've already paid to him.   >:(

If he had been honest enough to tell me he made a mistake and admitted he wanted to sell it for more I would have been bitterly disappointed but accepted the truth and moved on, but he didn't so as a result he has annoyed me enough to give negative (but factual) feedback, and I will open an eBay case for an unsent item as soon as the time allowed for delivery has expired.

So, if anyone sees this 10th Anniversary gold-plated PST (No 83 of 200) being offered for sale then I would advise extreme caution in dealing with this seller, to the point of only handing over your money when you actually have the tool in your hands.

I'd be fuming :rant:, we'll probably see it re-listed for a couple thousand dollars here soon.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 12:27:58 PM
In looking for a Surge on ebay I found listings with a picture of an old Surge but description of a new Surge and listings with a picture of a new Surge but description of an old Surge.

Oh and today on another site I noticed people using "Leatherman" as a generic term for a multitool or even SAK of any (cheap) brand.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 12:49:56 PM
In looking for a Surge on ebay I found listings with a picture of an old Surge but description of a new Surge and listings with a picture of a new Surge but description of an old Surge.

Yes, that's pretty common. I got burned for my BO 2013 Surge, which ended up being old model when I received it although the box part number matched the new model.

The only safe way to determine if you're getting the new or old Surge is by asking a seller if the pliers come with replaceable cutters...easy check for even the most uninformed or dumb seller.  8)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD