Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bring it back! (KF4 Appreciatcion Thread)

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Bring it back! (KF4 Appreciatcion Thread)
on: August 08, 2008, 07:45:48 AM
Every once in a while, a company gets things just right, and creates a darn near perfect product. And unfortunately, sometimes that product doesn't survive. Such was the case for the humble yet wonderful Juice KF4 from Leatherman. Smaller, lighter, and much more pocketable than full sized multi-tools, yet still packing full tool line-up. Pliers, screwdrivers, knives, saw, awl, ruler, and Leatherman's coveted diamond file made this model a small tour de force in the Multi-tool world. The lack of scissors, corkscrew, can and bottle openers just reinforced that this was a toolbox for your pocket; nothing more, nothing less. But alas, a mere five years after it's introduction in 2001, this brilliant model was "retired", much to the disapointment of multi-tool enthusiasts everywhere... :cry:

Ok, all melodrama aside, :D I think the KF4 was and is a spectacular tool, and would absolutely love to see LM bring it back, or a least a model very similar. I loved the tool compliment and size. And on the nitpicky side I liked that it skipped the "extras" like corkscrews. I also liked that the handles were evenly thick (the only Juice like that). I like the slip-joint design, and I like the fact that I can carry almost anywhere (even the UK!) without ruffling any feathers. Needless to say, I just really like this tool! :D

That being the case, combined with the fact that I know there's at least one or two other KF4 lovers out there, I made this thread... :) So voice your appreciation (as long as you have some :P ) for the KF4, and help me beg LM to bring it back! :salute:

I put together this KF4 Review (A Visual Tour).

You can see plenty of pics of the KF4 on the KF4 Picture Thread.

Here's a thread about my (slightly) modded KF4 beater (with story).

Here's a few more links in the spirit of the thread...
Leatherman website KF4 Page
KF4 on the Multitool Encyclopedia
Def's KF4 Review on MT.O
Related Poll
Petition to bring back the KF4

* KF4Stock.jpg (Filesize: 68.63 KB)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 09:36:30 PM by J-sews »

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Re: Bring it back! (KF4 Appreciatcion Thread)
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 08:27:05 AM
This is the only Juice model that tempts me, and I do definitely want one.

The C2 and S2 simply don't offer enough actual tools. And when you take the price and weight of the XE6 into consideration, you may as well get a Blast, or a similar full-sized tool.

The KF4, on the other hand, is a real workhorse in a small and light package.

Another plus is that the KF4 is the absolutely perfect compliment to the average SAK. It has no redundant openers, corkscrew, or scissors (Depending upon the SAK model).

I imagine the rest of the Juice line is doing well since it is still around, but I am honestly stumped as to why that is. The tool selection and pricing of the other models makes absolutely no sense to me.

I think it must just boil down to the size and colourful handles. Perhaps those same things prevented the KF4 from being taken seriously by the market it was targeted at...
[

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 08:30:26 AM
This is the only Juice model that tempts me, and I do definitely want one.

The C2 and S2 simply don't offer enough actual tools. And when you take the price and weight of the XE6 into consideration, you may as well get a Blast, or a similar full-sized tool.

The KF4, on the other hand, is a real workhorse in a small and light package.

Another plus is that the KF4 is the absolutely perfect compliment to the average SAK. It has no redundant openers, corkscrew, or scissors (Depending upon the SAK model).

I imagine the rest of the Juice line is doing well since it is still around, but I am honestly stumped as to why that is. The tool selection and pricing of the other models makes absolutely no sense to me.

I think it must just boil down to the size and colourful handles. Perhaps those same things prevented the KF4 from being taken seriously by the market it was targeted at...

Sounds like we see things about the same then. :) I agree that it would make a great SAK compliment, though I hadn't ever thought of that before. :salute: I also wonder if you might be right that the bright colors and smaller size might have made the "tool guys" (the ones who especially would appreciate it) look over it. :think:

If you're serious about getting one, I'd suggest doing it sooner rather than later. They seem to be disapearing, and I'm thinking I might "need" ;) to buy another one before they become a downright rarity. :P
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:33:19 AM by NeitherExtreme »

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 10:05:37 AM
Sometimes I wonder if I should carry a juice, they're sized nice for my sing-song fairy-cake buy-me-a-pony girl sized hands.

And AWLS baby!

What's not to love.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 12:17:32 PM
I was exceptionally surprised in my KF4 which I have had a week . Before I got it I saw the Juices in the same light as the Squirts . I like my P4 as it is well made & clever but I have always looked on it as a bit of a toy that may break if used hard. I use my Micra's a lot more than my P4. If the KF4 had scissors I would EDC all the time & here is a bit of controversy if it had scissors why carry a SAK  :o it has 2 main blades , the serrated blade did a great job cutting cardboard . It is a great pocket knife with pliers   :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 07:09:26 PM
I am a big fan as well.  Great tool selection and a great size.  :)
I'm back!!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 08:06:09 PM
If the KF4 had scissors I would EDC all the time & here is a bit of controversy if it had scissors why carry a SAK  :o it has 2 main blades , the serrated blade did a great job cutting cardboard . It is a great pocket knife with pliers   :D

Well, most SAKs would also offer you can and bottle openers, and corkscrew 0- which are on the other models but not this one. I also find scissors much easier to use on a SAK-sized handle as well.

And then of course, there are the many people who like to carry both a SAK and a plier-based MT so they can grip something with the pliers and use the SAK driver at the same time.

BUT... if LM would see the light and change some of the many flatheads into combo tools with bottle or can openers, a KF4 would definitely be a pretty amazing solo solution. Scissors would just cinch the deal.
[

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 09:13:51 PM
I agree they should bring it back its the perfect Juice.
(

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 10:37:24 PM
Every once in a while, a company gets things just right, and creates a darn near perfect product. And unfortunately, sometimes that product doesn't survive. Such is the case for the humble yet wonderful Juice KF4 from Leatherman.

That LM discontinued the Kf4 is incredibly frustrating, and they did the same thing with the PST.

Both PST and Kf4 were exceptional tools, offering the greatest functionality in their weight class of 5 to 5.5 oz.

If LM had replaced Kf4 and PST with something better, then it would make sense to drop them from their product lineup.  But, they dropped both without offering newer models of equal capability in their weight class.

Kf4 is the only Juice model I was tempted by, because it had everything I wanted and nothing I didn't want:
-no corkscrew!
-no canopener!
-no scissors!
-file
-awl
-slothead drivers
-Phillips driver
-pliers big enough to be useful for light-medium duty tasks
-plain and serrated blades
-woodsaw

Fitting all of that functionality into a tool of less than 5.5 oz and 3.25 inches is an amazing accomplishment.

Compare the list above to the limited functionality of the new Skeletool (at about the same weight) and which tool looks the best?

N

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 02:14:35 AM
Though the K4 is nice, I still perfer my XE6
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 05:25:09 AM
The Kf4 is my favorite Juice. It's not perfect mind you - the hardly-ever-used-saw should be replaced by scissors - but it's better than the rest. I cannot for the life of me understand why it alone was discontinued. :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 05:45:25 AM
Even an old dog like me likes the looks and tools involved,I would even pay extra if they came back with a same model with S30V,or CM154 blade,and titanium handles. :gimme: :drool: :drool: :drool:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 12:03:37 PM
The Kf4 is my favorite Juice. It's not perfect mind you - the hardly-ever-used-saw should be replaced by scissors - but it's better than the rest. I cannot for the life of me understand why it alone was discontinued. :(

The Saw is the only drawback in my mind.  Not only should it not have a saw in the first place IMO, but the one it has is pretty poor as well.
I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 01:24:26 PM

The Saw is the only drawback in my mind.  Not only should it not have a saw in the first place IMO, but the one it has is pretty poor as well.

OT:
I've never been tempted to use the saw on a Juice tool. Does it not perform very well then?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 03:45:34 PM
Besides being too short to be practical,the saw struck me as being on the flimsy side,as for sawing,I don't know,I didn't saw anything with mine.Scissors would be a better option in the saw's place.
I

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 03:48:40 PM
I have to agree with Bob on that one...

It's not really that bad, but it certainly isn't the kf4's strong point, and I too would rather have scissors.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 07:09:57 PM
Besides being too short to be practical,the saw struck me as being on the flimsy side,as for sawing,I don't know,I didn't saw anything with mine.Scissors would be a better option in the saw's place.

My thoughts exactly.  :)
I'm back!!

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 07:28:20 PM
Sounds like there's a few more fans out there than just me! :)

I was guessing some people would ask for scissors, as they seem to be about the "favorite" implement that the KF4 lacks. Although I love the current setup, I'd also be happy to see the serrated blade switched with scissors...

I'm kinda surprised by the lack of enthusiasm for the saw... I can understand not wanting a MT-sized saw in general, but IMO the Juice saw is a standout feature on the KF4. I've used it fairly often, both on wood and drywall, and I've been very happy with it. Also, even though the KF4 is so much smaller, the saw has the same cutting length as the Wave, Charge, and Surge. :o I think it's a great design. :) The saw and awl combo make a great drywall pair by the way.

I think I'll take a pic comparing the saws and post it here tommorrow. :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 08:28:11 PM by NeitherExtreme »

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 07:33:39 PM
Don't you find it to have a lot of play on the pivot and be very flimsy?
I'm back!!

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 07:40:52 PM
I haven't. :think: It is somewhat thin, but I've always seen that as a good thing for a saw... I've only had good experiences with it. Do you think your pivot pin might be too loose?

While we're on the subject, I remember Def's had a little issue with it "springing" over into the awl's way. Does yours do that? Neither of mine do...

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 08:45:19 AM
Think there was a post on here about Marshall's having both PSTs and KF4s. I saw them at one here in Houston. Of course i was broke at the time. >:(
:like:    :MTO:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 12:39:35 PM
I haven't. :think: It is somewhat thin, but I've always seen that as a good thing for a saw... I've only had good experiences with it. Do you think your pivot pin might be too loose?

While we're on the subject, I remember Def's had a little issue with it "springing" over into the awl's way. Does yours do that? Neither of mine do...

It doesn't really appear to be too loose.  Everything else seems to be ok.  :-\

Mine doesn't get in the way of the awl no. 
I'm back!!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 04:27:36 PM

It's not really that bad, but it certainly isn't the kf4's strong point, and I too would rather have scissors.

Def

The saw is my least favorite implement on the Kf4.

Kf4 has 4 long slots available for implements, and 3 slots are filled with plain edge blade, serrated blade, and file leaving 1 slot open.

LM chose to fill that slot with a woodsaw, but they could have chosen scissors.

I've never had much enthusiasm for woodsaws on small multis and SAKs - I have difficulty getting much use out of them due to their shortness.  Given the choice of what implement to put in that last slot, I'd probably choose scissors over a saw.

It'd be great if LM would bring back the Kf4 and offer:
-current Kfw4 model with woodsaw
-additional Kfs4 with scissors in place of woodsaw

N

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 04:39:42 PM

Def

The saw is my least favorite implement on the Kf4.

Kf4 has 4 long slots available for implements, and 3 slots are filled with plain edge blade, serrated blade, and file leaving 1 slot open.

LM chose to fill that slot with a woodsaw, but they could have chosen scissors.

I've never had much enthusiasm for woodsaws on small multis and SAKs - I have difficulty getting much use out of them due to their shortness.  Given the choice of what implement to put in that last slot, I'd probably choose scissors over a saw.

It'd be great if LM would bring back the Kf4 and offer:
-current Kfw4 model with woodsaw
-additional Kfs4 with scissors in place of woodsaw

Here here, I agree entirely!  :)

sidebar: and leave the inch/metric ruler etched on the side. Its not used much, but it doesn't take up any space and occasionally comes in handy.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: August 10, 2008, 06:05:48 PM
The ruler is a big bonus to me.  I actually use it quite a lot and it's the only downfall of the Spirit IMO.
I'm back!!

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #25 on: August 10, 2008, 07:52:34 PM
I added a poll about possible configurations here.

As promised, here's comparison shots of the Charge, KF4, and Surge...

* SawComp.jpg (Filesize: 114.42 KB)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 07:55:47 PM by NeitherExtreme »

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #26 on: August 10, 2008, 07:53:37 PM
...Which I think is pretty good considering the difference in the overall sizes of the tools. :) I personally think the KF4 makes a great hiking/camping tool, partly because of the "large" saw in such a small tool.

I don't have any Vics, Sogs, etc. to compare, but if anyone else wants to take a pic, I'd be interested. :multi:

* SizeComp.jpg (Filesize: 119.6 KB)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 08:04:49 PM by NeitherExtreme »

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #27 on: August 10, 2008, 10:42:14 PM
any help?
it aint kf4 but same size.

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #28 on: August 11, 2008, 12:40:39 AM
any help?
it aint kf4 but same size.
Thanks. Nice to see the sizes of so many different tools. :) I aslo curious how the saws stacked up, but I guess an S2 won't help us much there... :-\

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: August 11, 2008, 02:07:47 AM
If the KF4 had scissors instead of a saw, then a Farmer would be the perfect complimentary EDC.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%