Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Talk me into a Surge

sawman · 28 · 2586

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Talk me into a Surge
on: August 09, 2015, 07:34:44 PM
I've been looking more and more at the Surge thinking it has all the tools I want, big scissors, and the plier head with replaceable cutters. There's even an Awl.

So I wanna hear from the owners out there...
SAW

us Offline Neko2

• I have too many and not enough.
Re: Talk me into a Surge
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 07:50:15 PM
I bought a Surge so I wouldn't be afraid to use it.
I like knowing that the file, saw and wire cutters can be replaced so I can use them hard with no worries.  Plus it's robust enough to inspire confidence in using it like a tool.

us Online powernoodle

Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 07:51:19 PM
Its a big, hand-filling MT.  The slight downside can be its weight, depending on if and how you carry it.  The upsides are pretty numerous if size and weight are not an issue.  Its primary forte is its large size for Big Boy jobs, with its hefty scissors and replaceable cutters leading the way.  Even the main blade is big. A real, 3D phillips would be nice, and you can't have a saw and file at the same time, but it seems that one can never have everything.  If I were a workin' man - roofer, construction, electrician, etc. - its what I would carry.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 09:29:01 PM
When I first was deciding between the Surge and Wave I chose Wave because at the time the Surge didn't have the replaceable cutters.

Being that the Wave and Surge are similar makes it easy for me to love the Surge since I really love the Wave.  The greatest thing about the Surge is the Tshank exchanger, larger size which means larger blade/scissors and more confidence in the tool over all.

I do agree the weight can be a nuisance IF being a trades person is not what you do.  If you are the regular DIY person who likes to have a solid jack of all trades tool on hand then this is a clear winner IMO.  Heck if wanting a versatile tool is on the radar then again this is the tool.   

The assortment of cutting tools that can be swapped in/out of this MT alone make it terrific. 

The bit exchanger is awesome.  Using the bit extender means standard 1/4 bits can be used and adding a ratcheting driver means less driving fatigue if you are driving long or more than a few screws.  Yes a cordless driver is better but c'mon.

I like that I can use 1/4 sockets as well.  This give me some capability that comes in handy at times.   

I'd like to see dual blade exchangers and a beefier crate opener like the Swisstool and drop the can opener and add a chisel.

The beauty in this MT is that it can be a mini tool box in your hand.  A few cutting blades, some 1/4 bits or flat LM bits, extender, sockets and off you go. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 04:55:25 AM
I went with the Surge over the Wave originally because to me, scissors are more important than a file.

The IDEA of the T-shank exchangeable blades is really good. I especially like the idea that it can use ANY T-shank blade. They make some ridiculously long jigsaw blades, you know.

The down side of that is that the file is pretty short. Shorter than a Wave's file, and that is one of those things that is easier to use if it is longer.

The big, externally-accessible scissors are just. Brilliant.

+ T-shank blade options = a LOT of them. Bi-metal blades, long blades, pull-only or bidirectional-cutting blades. But think whether you will actually CARRY those blades with you.

+ Externally-accessible scissors are brilliant. Much more useful to me than the saw.

- Stubby little file, for such a big tool, on account of using the blade exchanger for that. This picture shows the relative shortness of the file, compared to a blade:

- REALLY heavy. Not pocketable. At all. But it's not bad in a good belt pouch. Sometimes, the weight in the hand is not good either; it wants to slip down in your grip.

= Pliers head with replaceable cutters is only really a + for people who stupidly abuse their tools. (like nutnfancy, cutting the 16p nails  ::) ) The non-replaceable cutter pliers head is mechanically stronger, due to not being thinned out in that area of the cutters. I've cut coat hangers before with no damage to the non-replaceable cutters in mine. I'll never cut anything bigger or harder than that. Don't let that be a selling point, unless you're an abuser.

+ Having the awl is great, you're right-on there.

+ The BIG flat head screwdriver is dead useful. It saved the day for me one time when we couldn't fit a couch through the door, because of the feet. The feet were of course attached with big allen bolts, which I didn't have handy. I jammed that big screwdriver in diagonally and took them out. It saved my couch and loveseat from being soaked in the rain that night. ...but it's useful on big flat head screws too, hehehe.

If you get one and want to get the most out of it, plan on also getting an aftermarket belt pouch to carry some accessories: The bit extender is a crucial one; it not only lets you reach a lot deeper areas, but also lets you use ANY bit with a 1/4" hex shank. The bit set is pure gold also. Probably a couple extra jigsaw blades: a long one for wood, and a proper metal-cutting, bimetal blade, at least.

If you want to see some "action shots" of my Surge doing electrical work last year, there are some starting about half-way down pg. 3 of my Photobucket Knives album.

One last note: if you're in it for the beefy pliers head, the Gerber MP600 BN is better:
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Jand3rson86

Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 05:27:31 AM
Yeah, "man up" and get a Surge.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:36:20 AM by Jand3rson86 »

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 10:06:57 AM
The down side of that is that the file is pretty short. Shorter than a Wave's file, and that is one of those things that is easier to use if it is longer.
- Stubby little file, for such a big tool, on account of using the blade exchanger for that. This picture shows the relative shortness of the file, compared to a blade:

- REALLY heavy. Not pocketable. At all. But it's not bad in a good belt pouch. Sometimes, the weight in the hand is not good either; it wants to slip down in your grip.

= Pliers head with replaceable cutters is only really a + for people who stupidly abuse their tools. (like nutnfancy, cutting the 16p nails  ::) ) The non-replaceable cutter pliers head is mechanically stronger, due to not being thinned out in that area of the cutters. I've cut coat hangers before with no damage to the non-replaceable cutters in mine. I'll never cut anything bigger or harder than that. Don't let that be a selling point, unless you're an abuser.

1. The file is not shorter than the Wave's file. They are the same length. And being removable, you can sharpen the blade with it.

2. I do not have an issue with the weight. In fact I find it quite comforting. Even more so when using it to save the day.

3. Just because you won't make use of the replaceable cutters doesn't mean those of us that do are stupid people who abuse their tools.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 01:24:19 PM
Lovingly carried my BO Surge for about 6 months now. Before carried Spirit x. Somehow Surge gets more work than anything before. I mostly carry it on my belt with sheat, but sometimes drop in right pocket of my jeans. I do not notice it there. Usually i carry Swisschamp on my left jeans pocket anyway, do not notice it either.

Surge is good hand filler, great set of tools in it. One just must love those scissors on them. Good size and good opening. And best of all, open outside. I kind of miss 3D phillips like on ST300. One day i could replace some tools with 3D phillips.

For this size tool, minus points give its needlenose pliers. Would be much better with blunt nosed version, with much beefier head.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 04:11:29 PM

1. The file is not shorter than the Wave's file. They are the same length. And being removable, you can sharpen the blade with it.
Could've sworn it was shorter...

2. I do not have an issue with the weight. In fact I find it quite comforting. Even more so when using it to save the day.
How is saving the day is related to tool weight? If you save the day with a Vic Classic, is it less of a save?

3. Just because you won't make use of the replaceable cutters doesn't mean those of us that do are stupid people who abuse their tools.
Please re-read what I said. It seems I've ruffled your feathers and now you want to lash out at me by misquoting. "Making use of a tool" is different than abusing it by cutting things it was never meant to cut.

Maybe I'm overly conservative by thinking that the wire cutters were just meant for cutting wire...  :think:

Anyway, I don't expect everyone to agree with my opinions. If I asked something like the OP did, I would want to know all the pros and cons.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 04:14:00 PM
I mostly carry it on my belt with sheat, but sometimes drop in right pocket of my jeans. I do not notice it there. Usually i carry Swisschamp on my left jeans pocket anyway, do not notice it either.

Well, you are either a big dude, or you've gotten accustomed to carrying heavy stuff in your pockets, hehehe.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 04:19:25 PM
I mostly carry it on my belt with sheat, but sometimes drop in right pocket of my jeans. I do not notice it there. Usually i carry Swisschamp on my left jeans pocket anyway, do not notice it either.

Well, you are either a big dude, or you've gotten accustomed to carrying heavy stuff in your pockets, hehehe.

I'd say i am accumstoned to carry stuff in my pocket. I am 182 cm heigh,  about 90 kg in weight, i wear nro 10-11 gloves on my hand. And i do have too much stuff in my pockets. Will have to take pics of it to my nest Soon...

us Offline sawman

Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 04:38:03 PM
I appreciate your comments everyone.

The thing is, after reading what you all have to say, I actually think the Surge is not for me.

Thanks for all the input :tu:
SAW

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 04:45:38 PM
One thing you know. You do not know untill you try...

Maybe you could go onto shop that has one to handle and try out. I would let you try mine, but it would cost too much over the pond shipping...

us Offline sawman

Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 04:47:30 PM
One thing you know. You do not know untill you try...

Maybe you could go onto shop that has one to handle and try out. I would let you try mine, but it would cost too much over the pond shipping...
That's what irks me about my local shops, is the selection is never complete. Each store carries only a few different models. I do think Gander Mt sells Surges though so maybe I'll go there sometime just to give it a final lookover.
SAW

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 05:02:41 PM
Many stores have then yet the tool is trapped in a clamshell so no handling it.  It'd be nice to lay hands on the tool to get an actual feel for it. 

The Surge is a great tool however like all tools it just depends on what the tools intended purpose is.  I wouldn't carry the Surge on off days personally and don't.  I have my Wave for that and when I want a slim lighter carry I go with my Kick.   
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Syncop8r

au Offline PPCAPache

Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 04:49:40 PM
For me it was all about the size of the Surge it fitted perfectly in hand and the Scissors are awesome, used them a lot when I was a channel rep for a Telco company, what sold me on the Surge was a video review by the Late Boy Scout on Leatherman Multi-tools scissors. (Filter was used as it was posted on Instagram)

Founder & Chief UAV Pilot at Elevated Drone Control Zone

Rotation EDC: LM MUT, LM OHT, Fenix LD12 / LD22, Benchmade Mini Griptilian, Bit Card, Bit Extender, TEC Ti-Pry Bar, Garmin Tactix Delta, LM Tread LT, iPhone XS Max, iPad Pro (2020) 12.9”,

Other EDC: LM Surge, LM Wave, LM Wave BO, Skeletool & Skeletool KBX Coyote Tan, The RIT [Rapid Intervention Tool], Zippo Lighter,

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 11, 2015, 05:33:32 PM
Didn't like the Surge much. Too heavy, many jagged edges and you can't have saw +file.
Good tool, but not for me.
Scissors were great, though...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Online powernoodle

Reply #18 on: August 11, 2015, 06:36:03 PM
I've reconsidered my position on this.  If you have to be talked into it, then that's another way of saying that you don't want one.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #19 on: August 11, 2015, 06:56:42 PM
I've reconsidered my position on this.  If you have to be talked into it, then that's another way of saying that you don't want one.

I respectfully disagree here.

I was one of those guys who carried a Classic, thinking that was The 58mm Victorinox.  I was introduced to the Rambler by the SOSAK. Mind. blown.

Never considered an Executive before. A colleague has one, and it used the nail file on a #1 Phillips one time, saving a trip back to the toolbox. I handled it and realized this is the perfect SAK for an office worker who wants a bit more blade than the 58mm models have. You could say I was talked into that one too.

I had happily been carrying a Tinker for years, when an old cranky guy on SOSAK recommended a Wenger SI / Vic Soldier. I got one, and while I lost the T&T and dedicated Phillips, the overall strength of it meant that it held up a bit better in the lab.

I was talked into some of my favorite MTs and SAKs.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 06:13:01 AM

I guess I am late to the party, but how about silverware attachments... Will this tip the scale, lol  :twak:

DIY instructions are here...
http://www.instructables.com/id/make-cutlery-for-a-leatherman/?ALLSTEPS
FIDSA8VFYIYO0TG.MEDIUM.jpg
* FIDSA8VFYIYO0TG.MEDIUM.jpg (Filesize: 25.54 KB)

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 06:01:20 PM
I guess I´m late to the party to. But you should defenitely try one. I´ve used my Surge the whole summer working on my cottage and since I got it when I´m choosing which of many mt:s to bring I end up with the Surge again and again just because in my eyes It´s the most versatile tool. I just love the big knives the awl,scissors, diamond file and saw.The weight is no problem for me I carry it in my pocket when I´m doing stuff. If Im going to town I don´t wear it.
There is always other mt:s laying around in drawers and bags  :whistle: :whistle:that are more suitable for that.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 09:10:04 AM
Just out of curiosity (and at the same time someone's been offering me a B.O. Surge), would anyone know if the Surge is as heavy as a Swisstool?

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 09:23:52 AM
I been carrying new Surge in my computer bag since it released, as my mobile tool box.
It gets things done, I tell you.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 02:17:38 PM
I like it more than the wave, especially since the one I have has been nodded to blunt nose. It's a bit heavy, but I find it very pocketable with the clip. I quite like mine, and while I have yet to order a file for it, the blade exchanger sleeve has a couple jigsaw blades in it, very useful. While utility when combined with bit driver extension etc. is unmatched, it's mildly annoying that after buying one of the top tier tools, you have to drop another $however much, just to not have a ridiculously stubby driver.

My recommendation is find a good used one and toy around with it, that way should you decide to move it on, you're not really out any $.

Are you really sitting there and telling me there's a tool you wonder about, that you're ignoring and not even gonna try!?  :D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 02:20:03 PM by SAKnight »
:SAKnight:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 03:26:13 PM
Just out of curiosity (and at the same time someone's been offering me a B.O. Surge), would anyone know if the Surge is as heavy as a Swisstool?

Swisstool comes in at 9.8oz
Surge comes in at 12.5oz

I find the tools on my belt and in hand to "feel" about the same if that makes any sense?   These are heavy tools and as compared in "feel" to say a Leatherman Wave you will notice the weight.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sawman

Reply #26 on: September 22, 2015, 04:46:47 PM
Still haven't changed my mind. I no longer want a Surge.
SAW

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #27 on: September 28, 2015, 12:37:53 PM
Boooooo!  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30