Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is it me!!!!

tosh · 27 · 1820

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Is it me!!!!
on: August 25, 2015, 07:16:36 PM
I've been wanting to pick up a few MTs. Not for use just to complete a couple of collections.
One is the BO Spirit  (military version  with CC head)
The other is the ST300 again BO & CC head. But.... The prices are just ridiculous here now in the UK. I'm pretty certain a few months back the ST 300 could be picked up for around. £80ish amazon are now wanting £103!! That's just crazy money. I don't even consider the ST300 to be one of leathermans "premium" lines I always assumed it nothing more than a beefed up Rebar!!

Sorry LM, but I won't pay £103 for a mediocre MT. That's just daylight robbery.

Anybody else stunned by the recent price hikes?
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Is it me!!!!
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 07:20:03 PM
I know you're talking about your prices but I find them rather expensive even here in the states. In the past couple years, the Wave has increased dramatically in price. Some of their other models have high retails as well. To top things off, their new "Signal" will debut soon at double the price its worth :td:

I love LM but agree some of these prices are insane.
SAW

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 07:28:37 PM
The worst thing we lost here for me was ebay stop selling pointy things  :-\ probably would have millions of knives and mt's by now  :D

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 07:30:31 PM
I wasn't around for the super low prices, but after handling certain tools I wouldn't pay that either. At the fleet farm here in wisconsin the skeletool is $70 (I would never at that price, should be closer to 35 for what you get imo), Wave is $90, and at sears the wave is $120,  even the wingman at $40 is too much for me.

So I agree Leatherman prices are out of hand.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 07:37:37 PM
No Tosh,it's not just you. I was saying something similar after finally seeing a Leap in the flesh.

There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 07:41:07 PM
Use camelcamelcamel to check prices on amazon and setup an alert if it drops to something that you're prepared to pay: http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Leatherman-Super-Multi-Tool-Oxide-Finish/product/B002Q0W8HA?context=browse

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 07:41:17 PM
I am still relatively new to buying MTs,  but just 2 years ago, prices were so much better,  there has been a 30% or more increase, or so it seems.
If I can help, let me know 

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 08:08:36 PM
I'm glad I'm not alone.
I love MTs.... and SAKs, but MTs first.
Even so, I still consider multitools to be a compromise and dare I say it, an indulgence.
But £103 quid for something that couldn't hold it's own against the real tools it contains is laughable.
Yes, MTs are fun and handy but not when compared to real tools that would work out cheaper, so I don't understand why LM can justify their exorbitant prices.

And by the looks of it there seems to be some price fixing going on too.

Greed, is the word I keep thinking.

Greed!!
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 09:27:08 PM
Market forces. If that's what people are prepared to pay, then that's what they'll charge. If people don't buy them, the prices will drop. Remember also, that only a fraction of this price goes to Leatherman, with the rest going to importers, distributers, retailers, government duties etc etc.

I think a lot of Leatherman tools are overpriced and over hyped, I also think they're trying to cover the costs of legitimate warranty costs, and (in my mind) many dishonest warranty users, for everything they've made for the last 25 years, but for all we know Amazon might be buying at £55 delivered to their door, and they are the ones charging excessive prices.

You're also ranting about the prices of less standard items, which if they're not readily available elsewhere will be charged at whatever price the retailer can get away with. Not necessarily the manufacturers fault.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 09:59:05 PM
So, I'm the lucky one here... Prices for LM dropped in the last two years massively. I can now get a Super Tool 300 EOD for about 100$ that's about half of what it did last year. Prices are still somewhat crazy, I get a Surge for less than 100$ but pay 105$ for a Wave (Although on a good day I can get a Wave for about 70$).

Micra 50$
Wingman/Sidekick 70$
PS4/Rebar/Skeletool 80$
Surge/Supertool/Wave 100$
OHT/Juice???/Skeletool CX 120$
Some of these prices are quite good (especially the more expensive tools), its the cheaper tools that are way overpriced. If you are patient you can get most tools at around 100$ (Except for the MUT :viking:).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline JP

Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 10:25:04 PM
Bah!! The Leatherman MUT was $87 on Amazon. Ca a few weeks ago. Now it is $200+ Canadian dollars

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 11:33:08 PM
Agreed. I joined this place in 2012, then left in 2013, came back this year, and everything went up!? I wanted a st300, but instead of the $40 I was looking to pay for a good used one, they were 50-55+. Same with the spirit, wave, a lot actually. I should've invested :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 11:42:39 PM
I agree prices have gone farther north than I feel the tool commands.  I tend to not buy new but even second and third hand the tool prices have gone up. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 12:36:04 AM
So, I'm the lucky one here... Prices for LM dropped in the last two years massively. I can now get a Super Tool 300 EOD for about 100$ that's about half of what it did last year. Prices are still somewhat crazy, I get a Surge for less than 100$ but pay 105$ for a Wave (Although on a good day I can get a Wave for about 70$).

Micra 50$
Wingman/Sidekick 70$
PS4/Rebar/Skeletool 80$
Some of these prices are quite good (especially the more expensive tools), its the cheaper tools that are way overpriced. If you are patient you can get most tools at around 100$ (Except for the MUT :viking:).

$50 for a Micra?!?! $70 for a Wingman?!?! $120 for a Juice?!?!?! At least the others are close to MSRP but holy cow!
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 12:52:23 AM

Micra 50$
Wingman/Sidekick 70$
PS4/Rebar/Skeletool 80$

Micra for $50.   :think:   :rant:

That is absurd.  Just absurd. 

I never buy these new, only used on eBay (or like new but opened, etc).  The Leatherman MSRPs are insane. 

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 02:36:12 AM

Micra 50$
Wingman/Sidekick 70$
PS4/Rebar/Skeletool 80$

....and I thought that our MT's cost more here in Manila, Philippines  :facepalm:

It turns out that ours is *lower* by *just* USD20.

us Offline sawman

Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 03:14:49 AM
I hate to say it but perhaps you get more for your money with Victorinox...  ???
SAW

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 03:56:23 AM
I agree prices have gone farther north than I feel the tool commands.  I tend to not buy new but even second and third hand the tool prices have gone up.

+1, the only way I can afford to collect is buying used or if it is deeply discounted. For me part of the thrill is searching and waiting for the right one at the right price to come along. Yeah, paying MRSP is absurd.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 04:08:43 AM

+1, the only way I can afford to collect is buying used or if it is deeply discounted. For me part of the thrill is searching and waiting for the right one at the right price to come along. Yeah, paying MRSP is absurd.

If you are patient and attentive, good deals do pop up from time to time.  You just need to be ready to pounce.

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 04:50:32 AM

If you are patient and attentive, good deals do pop up from time to time.  You just need to be ready to pounce.
agreed!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 09:07:17 AM
The dollar has gone up, a lot, during the past few years, so all US products have increased in price, especially in the Euro zone, where the Euro has gone down a lot.

The Swiss franc has not been affected and has been strengthened, especially when the link with the Euro stopped. So, the Swiss buy more dollars/LMtool with less money. (and SAK prices have started going up too, due to that, from around June)

A few years ago (3-4), especially on eBay, there were many cheap LM multiools, but the prices have shot up, because of shipping costs, greed, and possibly less people loosing their tools to TSA.

There is am economic crisis in many countries, so people notice prices more.

Labour costs have gone up, allegedly.

Many US companies have raised their prices, as the US was coming out of a recession (remember a few years ago the Car industry etc.)

People seem to be OK paying more for LM... MTO members are a very tiny part of the LM buyers group.

Last time I checked the price for a LM Micra here, 3 or 4 years ago, it was 50 Euro.

I wonder how much it will be now, with the rise of the dollar....
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

de Offline leatherman-shop.de

Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 10:31:30 AM
I've been wanting to pick up a few MTs. Not for use just to complete a couple of collections.
The other is the ST300 again BO & CC head. But.... The prices are just ridiculous here now in the UK. I'm pretty certain a few months back the ST 300 could be picked up for around. £80ish amazon are now wanting £103!! That's just crazy money. I don't even consider the ST300 to be one of leathermans "premium" lines I always assumed it nothing more than a beefed up Rebar!!

i just looked up at amazon.co.uk: ST300 is prized around 80£ - again. So the prized has not got higher. Time for a new tool?  :think:
multitools for the one leaving nothing undone

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: August 26, 2015, 10:40:23 AM

i just looked up at amazon.co.uk: ST300 is prized around 80£ - again. So the prized has not got higher. Time for a new tool?  :think:

Tosh was looking at the BO ST300 with the cap crimper plier,not the vanilla ST300
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #23 on: August 26, 2015, 02:16:00 PM
Yep, prices are going up all the time. Noted that SAKs are much higher then when I first started back in 2009.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 04:56:29 PM
I've noticed the really old PSTs on evilbay are selling for a lot more than they used to even only 6 months ago.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline sawman

Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 05:01:00 PM
I've noticed the really old PSTs on evilbay are selling for a lot more than they used to even only 6 months ago.
There'll come a day where you can't get a PST anymore. I'm so glad I have a nice one and a few mint backups to keep me going for the forseeable future.
SAW

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 11:40:39 PM
There'll come a day where you can't get a PST anymore. I'm so glad I have a nice one and a few mint backups to keep me going for the forseeable future.

Good thinking that man  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%