Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

And the winner is,victorinox

Zed · 87 · 5151

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
And the winner is,victorinox
on: September 27, 2015, 12:44:12 PM
Well I've been on this great forum for many years I've tried most mt's from LM,sog,Gerber,I've traded many things on here too try these out,but I have to say with hand on heart that victorinox rules,there quality is amazing,and the tools cover most jobs and do it well, so big salute to victorinox  :salute:
IMG_20150927_112624-1.jpg
* IMG_20150927_112624-1.jpg (Filesize: 156.52 KB)

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Re: And the winner is,victorinox
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 01:06:37 PM
I agree. Victorinox is the best. Especially after using a spirit. It makes all other tools feel...different.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

sg Offline red_rider_1979

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 01:31:53 PM
Agreed. I too have gone through the cycle of spyderco-leatherman-victorinox. Like you, I have a SAK in my altoids PSK but mine is an Alox lumberjack...

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 01:49:25 PM
Even my much loved og wave seems lower quality and not as smooth,i do miss the diamond file and needle nose pliers but the spirit is sooo smooth and well made,ive pretty much always these days got a sakvin my front pocket,usually my handycraftsman or explorer,the farmer usually comes too work with me , :tu:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 02:27:46 PM
Paul,I bet your glad you didn't sell it on ;)
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 02:32:05 PM

Definately mate  :salute: oddly now thinking of swapping my wave for a ct41 or a swisschamp with the newer pliers,going vic all the way  :salute:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 02:33:59 PM

Definately mate  :salute: oddly now thinking of swapping my wave for a ct41 or a swisschamp with the newer pliers,going vic all the way  :salute:

If that's your OG Wave,don't! You know sooner or later you'll regret it
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 03:01:02 PM
I agree. Victorinox is the best. Especially after using a spirit. It makes all other tools feel...different.

+1 The Spirit is excellent.  :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 03:05:06 PM

ill probably never get rid of the og wave as it was my first mt,plus i compare others too it,but generally i do prefer the spirit,but both great mt's   :salute:

us Offline BASguy

Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 04:14:18 PM

ill probably never get rid of the og wave as it was my first mt,plus i compare others too it,but generally i do prefer the spirit,but both great mt's   :salute:
Nope, carried OG Wave for 14 years.  It's the best of breed from Leatherman but I don't miss it all compared to Vic quality.  I occasionally miss the pliers, but not the MT in general.  The SwissChamp has proven it's self to be a better option for me.  In a straight up style comparison the Spirit just blows it away.  Nope, no regrets whatsoever.  Maybe I can say that because I still have my OG tucked away.  It's carry days are done.

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 04:29:37 PM

+1 The Spirit is excellent.  :tu:

+1 I love the Spirit (the wood saw on it not so much though). To me it's the other way round, I feel that Victorinox is different.

I'm not a fan boy, mind you, I just want value for money because I can't afford to keep replacing stuff or trying new things. I feel Victorinox delivers great quality for the money.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 04:45:58 PM

Nope, carried OG Wave for 14 years.  It's the best of breed from Leatherman but I don't miss it all compared to Vic quality.  I occasionally miss the pliers, but not the MT in general.  The SwissChamp has proven it's self to be a better option for me.  In a straight up style comparison the Spirit just blows it away.  Nope, no regrets whatsoever.  Maybe I can say that because I still have my OG tucked away.  It's carry days are done.

its that tucked away bit i struggle with   :-\  ive never been a collector, more a user,im sure my og wave will stay just tucked away but all my vics will continue to get used as they was intended  :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: September 27, 2015, 04:53:49 PM
Put your OG Wave in semi-retirement.  On the ready for the call to service should you need it. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 05:02:09 PM
Put your OG Wave in semi-retirement.  On the ready for the call to service should you need it.

From time too time i put it in my backpack but it rarely gets used,im sure i would regret trading it,no i know ill regret trading it  :D

us Offline BASguy

Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 06:36:33 PM
I don't keep anything, except this, that's not a user.  This tool gets passed to my grandson because of some significant history it had in its use.  If that wasn't the case, it would be down the road.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 07:34:12 PM
I don't keep anything, except this, that's not a user.  This tool gets passed to my grandson because of some significant history it had in its use.  If that wasn't the case, it would be down the road.

Except what? I see no pictures

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: September 27, 2015, 07:35:40 PM
 :worthless:   :pok:

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 27, 2015, 07:40:36 PM
Sold all my multitools to get Spydercos  :D
Only kept a Spirit X and all my saks.

Really everything else pales in comparison...

Since then I got a LM SkeleTool CX a Gerber Dime and a SOG CrossCut... only one whose quality is good enough to kick Vic out of edc is the Skelly CX - OG ST, Skelly SS, OG Surge, MP400 just didn't come close to the fit & finish...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:46:31 PM by Corwyn »
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #18 on: September 27, 2015, 07:41:49 PM
Yep, of all the MTs I have, I only every use my spirit x.  And for non MTs... cant beat SAKs.   :D

I still have almost one of each model of the other MT brands but the only close contenders for ones Id carry are the older leathermans and smaller SOGs.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 08:00:18 PM
First off, Bookmarked :salute:

Next, I couldn't agree more about Vic products - there is absolutely nothing else that delivers close to the same quality.

I have several SAKs, including a few Swisschamps which see the most action. To me, the SC is the perfect SAK and feels great in hand. I use each and every tool on it but the scissors the most, hands down. My second favorite too would probably be the pen blade, followed by the pliers which are just terrific for grabbing small things, kind of like a big set of tweezers. I use the fish scaler for scratching itches, as it has a nice sharp texture without cutting into my skin. The mag glass is also often called on. When it comes to a Phillips, I love the SC's and although I don't drink wine, I do prefer a corkscrew to hold my small eyeglass driver. The saw comes in handy when I work outdoors in the lawn and let's not forget the T&T. The can opener works superb on every can I've tried it on. The flat driver actually worked great for opening the tabs on my iPad OtterBox. I believe I covered almost everything except the file which I admit I have not had too many occasions to use but I insist on having the newer version.

One thing I miss is my Spirit which I sold/traded off years ago. I think how awesome it would be to carry one with my SC. THEN I'd really be prepared  :climber: :multi:
SAW

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 08:23:00 PM
 :salute: it certainly is a journey on here,mine ends with vic  :tu:

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 09:53:44 PM
I couldn't agree more ive had several different plier based mtS butthe swisstool is my favourite,  plus ivr carried one sak or another since I was 6 and have never been let down by them.I like most  things sharp and pointy but im never without a sak.
Weasel

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 09:59:54 PM
:salute: it certainly is a journey on here,mine ends with vic  :tu:

+1 I know as much buying and selling as I've done, the core collection that I die with will all be Vics.  :salute:

First off, Bookmarked :salute:

Next, I couldn't agree more about Vic products - there is absolutely nothing else that delivers close to the same quality.

I have several SAKs, including a few Swisschamps which see the most action. To me, the SC is the perfect SAK and feels great in hand. I use each and every tool on it but the scissors the most, hands down. My second favorite too would probably be the pen blade, followed by the pliers which are just terrific for grabbing small things, kind of like a big set of tweezers. I use the fish scaler for scratching itches, as it has a nice sharp texture without cutting into my skin. The mag glass is also often called on. When it comes to a Phillips, I love the SC's and although I don't drink wine, I do prefer a corkscrew to hold my small eyeglass driver. The saw comes in handy when I work outdoors in the lawn and let's not forget the T&T. The can opener works superb on every can I've tried it on. The flat driver actually worked great for opening the tabs on my iPad OtterBox. I believe I covered almost everything except the file which I admit I have not had too many occasions to use but I insist on having the newer version.

One thing I miss is my Spirit which I sold/traded off years ago. I think how awesome it would be to carry one with my SC. THEN I'd really be prepared  :climber: :multi:

Agree Saw, the SC is the complete package, although I have used the fish scaler/hook remover for it's intended purpose!  :whistle: Really nowadays I like a small minimal edc, so 2 or 3 layers, but the Spirit is always nearby and I probably use it more than anything except with food prep or wine bottles (so rarely now). I do a lot of fairly heavy duty incidental tasks with the Spirit, and it rivals my old SC in ability in those situations. I get it all greasy and cruddy, covered with grit, and it cleans up like new very easily. I think you should look into finding another one!   >:D

:D

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #23 on: September 27, 2015, 11:35:27 PM
I agree too.

Others come close for specific reasons: Leatherman with their bit driver. SOG with the compound leverage and 1/4" socket driver. But nothing has the complete package tied up like good ol' Victorinox.

I'm not sure I can bear to part with them, but the one that has my heart is the Spirit X. And Explorer Plus. And Manager.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: September 27, 2015, 11:43:19 PM
Mine in order are

1,swisschamp
2,handycraftsman, mod,was a handyman, but I replaced cs with Phillips.
3,explorer plus,old type with no hook and grooved cs
4,farmer
5,huntsman
6,Spartan,had since I was 11

Plier based Mt
1,spirit
2,og wave,was my first ever Mt

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #25 on: September 28, 2015, 01:48:52 AM
I haven't exactly applied for the SAK knights yet but I agree about getting your money's worth with Victorinox.  Although I have a Micra at my front line for 14 years (to the month!) already, what prevented me from picking up one plier-based multi-tool after another was when a RS and then a Spirit landed on my lap.  I agree that everything else feels....different.  It's like Victorinox found the median point in the plier-based tools.

Oh, I'm also loving their 58mm line and the OHO blades -- never had a chance to own those when I was a kid.  Just had a regular Tinker.

Yeah, others have OHO, compound leverage, replaceable cutters, mix and match tools, but nothing beats the fundamentals of Victorinox.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: September 28, 2015, 02:46:20 AM
 :salute: they do it all  :tu: now if the spirit had a non locking blade I would carry it most days,although its butter blade isn't very blade looking  :D my craftsman handles most daily chores,think I'll get a alox minichamp for my keychain at some point  :tu:

us Offline BASguy

Reply #27 on: September 28, 2015, 03:14:25 AM

Except what? I see no pictures
OG Wave.....

us Offline BASguy

Reply #28 on: September 28, 2015, 03:15:55 AM

:salute: they do it all  :tu: now if the spirit had a non locking blade I would carry it most days,although its butter blade isn't very blade looking  :D my craftsman handles most daily chores,think I'll get a alox minichamp for my keychain at some point  :tu:
That butter blade is a marvel of fine engineering......

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: September 28, 2015, 09:47:44 AM

That butter blade is a marvel of fine engineering......

i really like the butter blade  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69