Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Jamie Hyneman's toolkit

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Jamie Hyneman's toolkit
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 05:40:39 PM
I find it a bit funny how when I take a look at the older guys, they all have some suitcase or messenger bag setup for their tools rather than a tool box. And it is actually handier (going by my experience with my grandfather's messenger tool bag)

Coloring his tools is smart. I also like the analog calipers.
What I don't get is the white shirt when he is working with tools non stop. How the hell does that thing stay clean during the day?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 08:21:00 PM
I couldn't get the videos to run well, however from what I did see it looks fairly reasonable, I didn't notice anything really niche, some good info there for people not from a trade background.

I use briefcase style tool boxes for some of my stuff - The wide low access is great, you don't have to dig and scrounge, and it looks neater than bags. (I have bags as well, for bigger weird shaped items)

As for painting tools - when I was a wee lad getting my first toolkit in the factory, the boss came out and spray painted the whole lot - "There you go Champ! Now everyone knows which are yours and they won't get nicked"

Thanks jerk, my brand new shiny tools...

I understand the reasoning, but I still don't like it.
I grind or inscribe my mark into my tools, so I can still call shennangins if I see someone else with them, but they don't look gross.

I'm more interested in the tools he has in his workshop than his portable tool kits.
 :D

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 08:28:58 PM
I love these videos. I really wish Tested would do more with him.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 09:22:25 PM
Currently watching on the Discovery Website. Which has by far some of the worst interface I have ever dealt with.

And Jamie is extremely awkward on video.......
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 09:25:10 PM by NKlamerus »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 09:38:47 PM
I like the idea of engraving name on tools rather than painting.  I see there were also zip ties on some.  Tools for ones job are so random tho there is a commonality we all share with the basics.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 09:39:54 PM
I think it changes with the job. The paint is certainly much faster. And if done right may offer more rust resistance.

Although the scribing does look a lot better.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 09:49:12 PM
I think it changes with the job. The paint is certainly much faster. And if done right may offer more rust resistance.

Sure does but the basics will remain.  Hammers, pliers, vise grips, saws, drivers etc. 

I guess if you've had tools for any number of years they are bound to get "grimy"  :think:.  I worked in a machine shop where the guys tools looked pristine all the times.  I also have a friend who is a auto mechanic whose tools are also kept looking great.

Not knowing the dude but also not how I'd keep my tools.  I figured he'd have a shop smurf to help him  :whistle:.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 09:54:54 PM

Sure does but the basics will remain.  Hammers, pliers, vise grips, saws, drivers etc. 

I guess if you've had tools for any number of years they are bound to get "grimy"  :think:.  I worked in a machine shop where the guys tools looked pristine all the times.  I also have a friend who is a auto mechanic whose tools are also kept looking great.

Not knowing the dude but also not how I'd keep my tools.  I figured he'd have a shop smurf to help him  :whistle:.   
He does

Last I heard him and Adam have specific helpers JUST to clean up after them. Apparently their time is so valuable it's not worth it for them to pick up stuff

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 09:56:14 PM
Currently watching on the Discovery Website. Which has by far some of the worst interface I have ever dealt with.

Funny you mention that. I was thinking both those things exactly. First the user interface on that website is terrible to put it lightly. Second and funniest is how awkward Jamie is. You would think years and years on camera would make you a pro, but all I see is him talking fast, saying "umm..." between every word and looking a little shaky.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 10:12:35 PM

Funny you mention that. I was thinking both those things exactly. First the user interface on that website is terrible to put it lightly. Second and funniest is how awkward Jamie is. You would think years and years on camera would make you a pro, but all I see is him talking fast, saying "umm..." between every word and looking a little shaky.
Not to mention the 10th different pronunciation ive heard of "knipex" lol

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 10:27:49 PM

Not to mention the 10th different pronunciation ive heard of "knipex" lol

:rofl: His was a new one to me. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 02:19:41 AM
This should clear everything up.

I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $160.46
PayPal Fees: $9.45