Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New 2017 Leathermans

Kampfer · 172 · 15896

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: New 2017 Leathermans
Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 06:26:48 PM

more
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 06:38:17 PM
Well this is just plain silly. ::)

Even if there weren't much better options out there at the $25 price point, there are two issues I've seen with the Skeletool blade which would prevent me from buying this: (1) sometimes the liner doesn't stop until it hits the pivot screw, (2) sometimes the tang is ground down enough that it misses the stop.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 07:08:12 PM
:bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!? :bnghd: WHY?!?
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline killroy360

Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 07:29:05 PM
This seems like the equivalent of the kid who forgot their class project was due today. Did they come up with this on the plane ride down?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ie Offline jonon9

Reply #34 on: January 18, 2017, 07:51:57 PM
Wow not going to lie that was a poor attempt of coming up with something new from LM. As another poster said they should stick to what they have and just improve on them.

What I was hoping for and maybe its just a dream would be an updated Surge. Spring assisted pliers, S30v blade, mirror finish.

Just to add to my post, I wish LM would up the quality so that no break in would be necessary to the pliers, something along the lines of a pair of Knipex pliers butter smooth. 
Am I asking for much  :think:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:02:58 PM by jonon9 »

us Offline gregpost

Reply #35 on: January 18, 2017, 07:56:10 PM
I have no interest in these. The low-end prices they're quoting of $25 means we will probably see these for $15-20, that is cheap but does it offer value?

Would rather they improve designs like the Wingman/Sidekick(better plier cutters) and give us the next evolution of the Leatherman Wave.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:58:33 PM by gregpost »

fi Offline Padre

Reply #36 on: January 18, 2017, 08:05:02 PM
I was just so waiting for a brand new MT, like sideclip 2 or mini-tool 2 or something.
Of course I knew I would be disappointed. But gosh. This is even worse.
But I do think its good to have plain edge with 420HC on these at the start.
I really like 420HC still. S30V on these would be silly. Its like S110V on cheap Gerber, sure modern, but just why.

And maybe it is sometimes good to mature your lineup, I mean they have been releasing much stuff lately. I mean Signal and Leap just came out right?
Lately a lot of strange Leathermans like Raptor, OHT and Tread...
... and I mean they have retired a lot of knives... leaving just few random Crater models...

But still disappointed.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #37 on: January 18, 2017, 08:13:41 PM
 :kirky:
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: January 18, 2017, 09:08:13 PM
Most of what I would say has already been said... part of me is hoping they are working on something else that wasn't ready for shot.. I had big hopes from LM for 2017 as well. Pretty disappointed in the half tools. It would be one thing if they made a newly designed tool that was not plier based, but they literally took what they had in their extras, chopped it up, and threw it together. :facepalm:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #39 on: January 18, 2017, 09:24:44 PM
Might buy one of the Skeletool-based folders for the blade for my regular Skeletool. It may see pocket time instead.  It looks slim. Too bad they didn't do one with a sheepsfoot full-serrated
blade from the Skeletool RX model.

As far as the Juice, it's silly.   Basically, it's your run of the mill grocery store waiter's tool with scissors.   LM's scissors never match Victorinox.  And, no drivers whatsoever. That one with plain and serrated blades, maybe.

What I was hoping for:  Wave with Rebar plier head (thus, I'm gonna have to make one myself), a modernized PST/PST II with replaceable cutters and locks, and, especially, with SOG re-releasing the Micro Toolclip, a new Mini-Tool, with a Rebar plier head and a driver that can handle Phillips.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: January 18, 2017, 10:27:55 PM
I am just not happy about this :facepalm: Don't they people to come up with things ??? I mean they are fine and all for what they are but I know we would rather miss a year of them coming out with something new and be blown away the next year when they come out with something truly awesom :think: Maybe this is just something they threw together for SHOT and they are working on something for 2018 :facepalm: :D

ie Offline jonon9

Reply #41 on: January 18, 2017, 10:55:55 PM
I am just not happy about this :facepalm: Don't they people to come up with things ??? I mean they are fine and all for what they are but I know we would rather miss a year of them coming out with something new and be blown away the next year when they come out with something truly awesom :think: Maybe this is just something they threw together for SHOT and they are working on something for 2018 :facepalm: :D

After Gerber's colourful display with the center drive I expected LM to burst out with something amazing, a kinda 'back in the box' way  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: January 18, 2017, 11:14:47 PM
My my, aren't we all feeling very cynical?  :D

Do I wish LM had come up with the new wonder MT to beat them all?  Yes, of course.  I'd have been OK with a good upgrade to a existing tool as well.

That doesn't mean that I'm going to write off these knifes though.  OK, the waiter tool I'm never going to buy and I can't see it being a success, but the B2 and Skeletool KB don't look too bad to me.  As a couple of others have said they might be a good source of PE blades for the Skeletool fans.  They certainly don't offend me in the same way as they seem to a lot of you chaps. :shrug:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #43 on: January 18, 2017, 11:22:30 PM
To do half tool, I wonder why LM did not use Wave/ Charge base with skeletonized frame of Skeletools. We would get two full-size blades (PE + SE, or PE + file), plus scissors and a bit driver. While at it, add a rechargeable flash light where the pliers' pivot is.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #44 on: January 18, 2017, 11:40:34 PM

Do I wish LM had come up with the new wonder MT to beat them all?  Yes, of course.  I'd have been OK with a good upgrade to a existing tool as well.

That doesn't mean that I'm going to write off these knifes though.  OK, the waiter tool I'm never going to buy and I can't see it being a success, but the B2 and Skeletool KB don't look too bad to me.  As a couple of others have said they might be a good source of PE blades for the Skeletool fans.  They certainly don't offend me in the same way as they seem to a lot of you chaps. :shrug:

It is interesting the waiter tool is (UK legal) more expensive, getting stuffed on pricing again?

I'm ignoring the skeletool derivatives because they aren't legal here
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 11:51:07 PM by Smashie »
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #45 on: January 18, 2017, 11:49:37 PM
I would consider half a Surge with 2 blades, awl, bit driver, prying tool. For less than half the price.
These  :twak:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #46 on: January 18, 2017, 11:55:21 PM

It is interesting the waiter tool is (UK legal) more expensive, getting stuffed on pricing again?

I'm ignoring the skeletool derivatives because they are legal here

I think it's a case if the scissors being a premium (more time on the assembly line?).  Vic does the same, Camper vs Climber and you're going to pay more for the Climber.

No, I'm not going to seriously think about the Skeletool KB either, partly as they're not reason-free EDC but also because I'm left handed and they're never going to suit. :D

I'm still a little surprised at the near universal reaction though.  A USA made, mid grade steel, light weight, OHO pocket knife with a 25 year guarantee from a known maker for $25 or less.  For those in the market I'm not seeing the downside. :think:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #47 on: January 19, 2017, 12:13:05 AM
I loved that PE skele. And with that price i might get that at some point. Good size blade with slim design. Most i loved the thing, that i could get replacement blade rather cheap for skeletool or freestyle. I just do not like half serrated blades. Sad, that it does not have bit driver.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: January 19, 2017, 12:14:08 AM
There is a market for these tools imo simply because they have Leatherman on them. I don't think they will be poorly made, and they may see a decent increase in sales due to the price point. My biggest gripe is it really does seem like a lazy design. As others have said they have plenty of potential with their current lineup but instead of refining and perfecting (or even offering more variants) they just said hey let's cut the juice and skeletool in half and see what happens. If I recall correct they tried the same thing with the original style design...and it didn't go well. So all in all it's not so much of the tools themselves, but the apparent lack of effort from Leatherman
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #49 on: January 19, 2017, 12:19:30 AM
Meh.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: January 19, 2017, 12:29:12 AM
There is a market for these tools imo simply because they have Leatherman on them. I don't think they will be poorly made, and they may see a decent increase in sales due to the price point. My biggest gripe is it really does seem like a lazy design. As others have said they have plenty of potential with their current lineup but instead of refining and perfecting (or even offering more variants) they just said hey let's cut the juice and skeletool in half and see what happens. If I recall correct they tried the same thing with the original style design...and it didn't go well. So all in all it's not so much of the tools themselves, but the apparent lack of effort from Leatherman

Well put.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #51 on: January 19, 2017, 02:17:51 AM
I don't think anyone is suggesting that they will be poorly made- they are Leatherman, and so you can expect a certain level of build quality (the Rev being the exception to that rule) coming from in house manufacturing.

That having been said, I think the issue here is the let down- and it's bigger that we think.

Gerber came out with a new tool that was exciting.  Whether you like the Center Drive or not, you have to admit that there was an awful big splash for a multitool, almost indeed as big as when the Tread was launched.

Then SOG announced a pile of new tools to fit almost every need, every size and every budget, and our excitement grew. 

The multitool industry goes in cycles, and this is our upswing, and the first one we've had in years.  I would say the last time the market suddenly surged forward like this was 2007-2009 when CRKT was putting out Zillas and Guppies and Lumabiners and Victorinox was riding high on the Spirit and Leatherman gave us the Skeletool and things were great.

But here we are, all fired up and ready to ride off to the stores and drop gobs of cash on new tools, and where is the most exciting, groundbreaking, industry leading multitool manufacturer?

Behind the outhouse, pants around their ankles, trying to sell us on broken bits of former glories.

It's not only somewhat disappointing for  us, it has got to be downright embarrassing for Leatherman, the company that built this industry.  What were they thinking, giving us a smurfing bracelet and then sitting around playing with their bottoms while the companies seen as copycats run rings around them.

Holy smurfing smurf.

I mean really.

Holy.

smurfing.

smurf.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline jonon9

Reply #52 on: January 19, 2017, 02:43:02 AM
I don't think anyone is suggesting that they will be poorly made- they are Leatherman, and so you can expect a certain level of build quality (the Rev being the exception to that rule) coming from in house manufacturing.

That having been said, I think the issue here is the let down- and it's bigger that we think.

Gerber came out with a new tool that was exciting.  Whether you like the Center Drive or not, you have to admit that there was an awful big splash for a multitool, almost indeed as big as when the Tread was launched.

Then SOG announced a pile of new tools to fit almost every need, every size and every budget, and our excitement grew. 

The multitool industry goes in cycles, and this is our upswing, and the first one we've had in years.  I would say the last time the market suddenly surged forward like this was 2007-2009 when CRKT was putting out Zillas and Guppies and Lumabiners and Victorinox was riding high on the Spirit and Leatherman gave us the Skeletool and things were great.

But here we are, all fired up and ready to ride off to the stores and drop gobs of cash on new tools, and where is the most exciting, groundbreaking, industry leading multitool manufacturer?

Behind the outhouse, pants around their ankles, trying to sell us on broken bits of former glories.

It's not only somewhat disappointing for  us, it has got to be downright embarrassing for Leatherman, the company that built this industry.  What were they thinking, giving us a smurfing bracelet and then sitting around playing with their bottoms while the companies seen as copycats run rings around them.

Holy smurfing smurf.

I mean really.

Holy.

smurfing.

smurf.

Def

So what your saying is your not happy  :D :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #53 on: January 19, 2017, 02:52:41 AM
It's not me.... not specifically, and happiness isn't really a factor.  I am just so disappointed in Leatherman, and I feel bad that they are completely missing the new wave of multitools. 

I am disappointed that this seems to be the best of what they could come up with, and I feel bad watching Leatherman founder with absolutely nothing worth seeing. 

These offerings aren't anything new, they aren't anything exciting, they aren't anything special, coming from a company that defined the whole market.  They aren't just the trend setters, they were the market creators.  And yes, I get that they can't hit gold every year, but there's got to be something they could have come up with to lead the charge, but there isn't even that.

I am hoping they have something worthwhile in the works that maybe just wasn't ready in time to take to SHOT.  That's my hope, and if that's not the case, I hope they come up with something REAL fast and pretend that was the case.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #54 on: January 19, 2017, 04:13:43 AM
Hm.....nothing to see here :whistle:

Not impressed by these offerings.  I'm not exactly chomping at the bit for new MTs anymore, but I still like to see cool new options, or even revisions or new configurations for existing tools.  Oh well, maybe later in the year, or next year  :shrug:
K-Tibbs

us Offline trouthunter

• The missing village idiot.
Reply #55 on: January 19, 2017, 04:32:54 AM
Well I can't really say I am totally impressed with the unexciting new tools. I believe in Leatherman and have trusted them for years.  I hope that this was just a simple marketing plan as there was so much excitement around SOG and Gerber that Leatherman did not want to get lost in the shuffle and chose to stay quite about what is in the pipes.  We do it all the time at my work as my industry is super competitive and innovative. 

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: January 19, 2017, 05:04:17 AM
Is Leatherman expected to, or have they released something revolutionary each year? It'd be very cool to see a infographic timeline, anyone?  :pok:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: January 19, 2017, 05:06:00 AM
Welp. Here it is  :D  :multi:
IMG_4059.JPG
* IMG_4059.JPG (Filesize: 166.57 KB)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:10:14 AM by kaput »
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #58 on: January 19, 2017, 05:25:50 AM
The Leatherman Juice CS3 comes with a can opener, scissors, bottle opener, and corkscrew.
The Juice CS3 is a travel friendly utility tool that would make a great addition to any toiletry bag. Without an actual blade but plenty of exciting features, the Juice CS3 can make it through airport security no problem.
Whatever made LM think that scissors are allowed through airport security?
Am I wrong?
Or are things different in the States?

And why does their marketing guy call an LM product line/family - a franchise? ???
If it really is a franchise - What are they franchising and to whom?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 07:30:57 AM by Huntsman »

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: January 19, 2017, 08:11:24 AM
Juice CS3?

Hell, I got one of those way back in 2013!   :ahhh

What can I say?  Multitool.org is WAY ahead of the curve!   :multi:

Def

My point Exactly!!! WE are the leaders here!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%