Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First time modding

Booba5 · 65 · 4327

00 Offline Booba5

First time modding
on: January 25, 2017, 05:36:00 PM
Hey everyone, I'm from the USA (MO).

In my new position at work, a multitool would be VERY useful, so I pulled the trigger on a Wave earlier this week, along with a Rebar a day later.  My plan is to swap in the Rebar pliers over to my Wave, then put the Wave pliers back on the Rebar and give it to a friend.  Also, once I get enough posts, I'll be buying a Charge knife blade here to swap in.  That'd give me the Rebar pliers and charge blade on the Wave...which should make me a happy camper. Is there anything else I could\should do to the Wave while I have it apart? Does a standard security Torx bit fit the Wave's screws (Gen 2 Wave)?   Thanks everyone, I'm glad to be a part of the site!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: First time modding
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 05:42:26 PM
Greetings.  The S30V blade should be quite nice in the Wave.  I have been seriously been wanting to get rid of the small bit holder on all my Waves.  If you are an awl user many have also added the awl to the Wave.  Not sure what they removed to add in the awl tho. 

Standard security torx will work tho I forget the size.  Maybe down the road you can add OHO scissors?     
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Booba5

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 06:08:59 PM
I don't think I'd use an awl, but who knows lol.  Would the OHO scissors clear the Rebar pliers?  What are OHO scissors, lol?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 06:14:50 PM
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Booba5

Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 06:25:10 PM
That is pretty cool.  I think I will look into scissors, I like the OHO idea.  I'm also looking into the blade holder from a Surge.  I like the whole using jigsaw blades idea.  I was looking at the Surge but I decided against it since it was so huge, and I bought the Wave for $45 shipped.  I followed a link in that link you posted and there's a Wave with the Surge blade, OHO scissors (not sure which ones), the file, and knife (straight).  That setup is what I want, lol.  I'd like to keep the serrated blade, but I don't know if it'll fit on the inside to clear the pliers.  I don't even have the tool yet (get's here tomorrow\Friday) so this is all in my head at the moment.  Rebar gets here Monday, Wave, tomorrow, and I just ordered the Charge's blade today.  Whew.

00 Offline Booba5

Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 06:42:21 PM
That's exactly what I want to do with mine, as far as the outer tools.  Is the Charge's file better than the Wave's?  I work with lathes and mills all day and I end up filing on tool bars and whatnot a lot.  You have a very nice Wave, if you don't mind, I'll be asking you for advice when the time comes, lol.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 06:46:05 PM
That's exactly what I want to do with mine, as far as the outer tools.  Is the Charge's file better than the Wave's?  I work with lathes and mills all day and I end up filing on tool bars and whatnot a lot.  You have a very nice Wave, if you don't mind, I'll be asking you for advice when the time comes, lol.

Charge and Wave files are the same. 

No problem ask away.  I followed Breezy's mod.  My outside scissors could be better.  They don't lock open but that was my mistake when I made the hole.  I have a spare Vic scissors which I will try again soon. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aberdrew13

Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 09:16:18 PM
Here's the modded tool I use the most....

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67918.0.html

I've also swapped in the S30V blade in mine.
If my text is in blue, read it with sarcasm.  That is how it's meant!

00 Offline Booba5

Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 06:45:11 PM
The Wave came in today, it's very clean, and in very good shape.  The bits have the normal wear and tear from being rotated, and the file has a dirty corner, but that's it.  Knife is a bit on the dull side, but I have a friend that takes his knife sharpening VERY seriously, and he's going to sharpen up the new blade before it goes on.  All of the pivots seem a little on the tight side, but it might just be a Wave thing.  This is my first multitool, so I don't have much of a comparison, other than my Buck Vantage, and the Wave is noticeably tighter.  I'll clean it up at work, I have access to a lot more oils and cleaners there so it'll be easier on my part...not like it really needs much though.  Here's some pics:

Rebar comes in tomorrow, I'm hoping before I goto work (noon) so I can crack it open there (again, access to more tools and other guys who love to tear things apart).  If it does, then I should have the Rebar pliers on by the end of the day tomorrow.  Of course, if the Rebar gets here after I goto work I could always have my wife bring them to me on my break...haha

I have a few things to look up, like the 91mm Vic scissors, where to buy them, and all that jazz.  Also need to look up if the Rebar awl is a direct swap, and if there is any serrated blade that could fit on the inside (doubtful, now that I have seen the Wave in person).  I sense a new hobby in the making...

us Offline Aberdrew13

Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 07:49:13 PM
The awl is a direct swap.

It is virtually impossible to get a full length tool on the inside of the Wave's handles.  If you want a serrated blade there, the only thing I can think of (short of making one yourself) would be the serrated blade from a Sidekick.

Just let us know if you have any questions!
If my text is in blue, read it with sarcasm.  That is how it's meant!

ie Offline plowjockey1

• A hammer is the father of all our tools.
Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 09:36:04 PM
That Wave looks pretty clean for $45. What is the advantage of the rebar pliers?

00 Offline Booba5

Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 10:07:16 PM
They have replaceable cutters, and are bigger\stronger.  Not my pic, but you can see here:

00 Offline Booba5

Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 01:35:58 AM
Rebar came in today, and roughly an hour after that I had the pliers swapped out.  Everything was pretty clean when I took it apart, but I had cleaned it at work the day before (without disassembly) so I wasn't all that surprised.  I was also able to get some more washers from work, so I'll be taking everything apart...again.  Then today in my spare time at work I ground down the scissors, and cleaned the Rebar. 

I decided to go ahead and leave the awl in the Rebar, and trim the scissors down.  I didn't really want to have to do anything to the Rebar other than swap the pliers, and since it's a gift I frankly don't want to give myself the chance to screw it up.  Sure, the Wave is turning out pretty good, but who knows how the Rebar would.  Anyways, everything came out pretty good, the Rebar didn't get 100% clean on the file, but that's about it.  It'll go to it's new home on Monday.

Here's some pics:
Obligatory side by side comparison of the plier's:

About 45 seconds before I realized that the body was on backwards and I had to take everything apart again:

Obligatory side by side shot of the Rebar and Wave with the swap:

Insert my "work" day here, can't take pics there, but this was what everything looked like when I came home:

And, closed:

Now that I have basically finished the scissors I'm going to begin researching their replacements, lol. These scissors were just to "get the hang" of this type of work, so if I screwed up, oh well.  I just so happened to not screw up...this time.  Thoughts? 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 01:41:32 AM by Booba5 »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 08:36:17 AM

Thoughts?

Nice job!
The last guy I met who did this mod, couldn't fully close his Wave...
And was completely ok with that :facepalm:

00 Offline Booba5

Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 08:51:14 AM

Thoughts?

Nice job!
The last guy I met who did this mod, couldn't fully close his Wave...
And was completely ok with that :facepalm:
Thanks!

Yea, it drove me nuts for the 5 hours it was unfinished.  Come to find out, I had a very old SAK that hasn't been used in decades, so I robbed the scissors from it, and spent the last 2 hours drilling out the hole for the Wave.  That is some HARD metal and I have some DULL drill bits.  Oh wells, it's done.  The walls of the pivot hole were a little too thin for my liking, so I figured I'd build them up a bit with some JB weld, and it's setting up now.  PIcs of everything here in a bit!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 08:59:33 AM

PIcs of everything here in a bit!

You should be chased by an angry mob if you didn't :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 04:08:01 PM
Looking good.  The SAK metal is really hard.  I used diamond Dremil bits but it went slow regardless. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Booba5

Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 10:28:18 PM
Well the scissors are on, but I'm not sure for how long, everything is nice and strong, but the JB weld got rubbed by the lock a bit so I'll have to sand it again.  Overall I'm happy with it, best part is it was free, too.  This was basically a test fit that turned out pretty nice so I'm leaving it.  I have plenty of polishing and what not to do, but I want to try it out for a week or so to make sure I don't want to do anything else with it before I shine it up.  Here's some pics!

Hard to get a pic, but you can see the washers, and the JB weld.  The light grey is where the rubbed happened.  I think it's done rubbing, but that's another reason I'm waiting a week or so before polishing.

Closed up:

Opens up nicely, along with everything else.  I'm very satisfied with...well, everything.  It all moves very easily, I'm a happy camper for sure.  Now if I could figure out if I should really go the whole Surge's jigsaw type route.  Not sure if I really even would use it that much to justify the change.  Also interested in that sliding hacksaw blade mod, can't find much information on that stuff, just a few pictures but nothing with the blade removed.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 10:42:42 PM
Looking good.  I find having the scissors on the outside really is useful and convenient. 

The Blade Exchanger for me was just because I had a Old Style Surge that was being unused.  Having the hack saw blades for me is very handy.  In my everyday usage I'd say more so that the wood saw.  I also like that I can add the Surge file with diamond in as well. 

Run it as you said and evaluate.  I'm going to do a Change mod soon and for the time being I'm really thinking about what to add and subtract. 

Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Booba5

Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 10:53:06 PM
I have the go ahead for the surge BE, but I'm not sure if I'm up to the challenge and also not sure if I'd even use it much.  I file on toolbars in lathes and whatnot at work, so I'llbe leaving the normal Wave file.  Seems to work pretty good.  WAY better than the Rebar file.

This is the hacksaw setup I was talking about.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,64437.0.html

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: January 29, 2017, 11:03:28 PM
I remember that mod.  Its pretty awesome but I think more than I'm ready to tackle as well.  Time to give your Wave a high polish  8)

* IMG_7718 copy.jpg (Filesize: 30.3 KB)
IMG_7720 copy.jpg
* IMG_7720 copy.jpg (Filesize: 202.79 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Booba5

Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 11:17:51 PM
That looks awesome! I thought about it, but there's no way it'd stay a mirror finish for long, with much it's getting used at work and what not.  I polished up the pivots and those were scratched up in 5 minutes, lol.  That looks like the SAK I got the scissors from, but mine was black.

00 Offline Booba5

Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 03:57:20 AM
I decided to go with an idea just to see how it'd work and put 2 little dabs of JB weld in (thankfully) uniform spacing to help with opening.  So far, it seems like it came out pretty good!  I originally had my doubts, but I actually like it a lot.

I figure if the initial coolness wears off I can just flick them off and sand off the remainder...it's not like I don't have to polish it anyways.

00 Offline Booba5

Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 07:00:47 AM
Well, that last long.  Yesterday I went to use the scissors and they were extremely dull, so today I had a buddy sharpen them.  After that I realized that the pivot was just loose (on the scissors) so I tightened it up a bit so all was well....for about 7 hours until the spring broke.  SO at this point I'm going to replace the scissors with something else. 

I guess the question I have is Wingman scissors or SAK scissors?  I'm thinking SAK, but which model do I look for?  I obviously want the biggest scissors I can get away with (for the least amount of $ of course), and from the looks of these scissors, I can get a larger pair.  Thanks in advance.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 01, 2017, 10:43:33 AM
Well, that last long.  Yesterday I went to use the scissors and they were extremely dull, so today I had a buddy sharpen them.  After that I realized that the pivot was just loose (on the scissors) so I tightened it up a bit so all was well....for about 7 hours until the spring broke.  SO at this point I'm going to replace the scissors with something else. 

I guess the question I have is Wingman scissors or SAK scissors?  I'm thinking SAK, but which model do I look for?  I obviously want the biggest scissors I can get away with (for the least amount of $ of course), and from the looks of these scissors, I can get a larger pair.  Thanks in advance.

You should probably be fine with any 91mm Victorinox scissors so a second hand Climber is probably the cheapest way to go. The ones from Wenger (now also Victorinox) use another spring-solution that would mean a lot more work. From the design of the scissors you used they seem to be of Chinese or possibly German origin and you should find that the Swiss-made ones are much better.

00 Offline Booba5

Reply #26 on: February 01, 2017, 11:31:50 AM
Thanks for the info!  I've found an old climber for ~$12 so that's not bad at all.  I take it you think the Vic scissors are better than the Wingman scissors?

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 01, 2017, 12:59:29 PM
Thanks for the info!  I've found an old climber for ~$12 so that's not bad at all.  I take it you think the Vic scissors are better than the Wingman scissors?

I would say so yes, Vic scissors open wider while at the same time being more precise and having better ergonomics. On the other hand the spring is much less robust but can be replaced instead.

00 Offline Booba5

Reply #28 on: February 06, 2017, 09:53:06 PM
Had a pretty productive weekend, I received the SAK in the mail on Saturday, and swapped the scissors over after work.  Definitely a harder metal than the old scissors, it killed every drill bit I had, and then some.  I went ahead and put the JB weld dots on them, along with some on the knife.  I'm wearing gloves at work 80% of the time so it makes opening and closing a lot easier.  The S30v blade gets here tomorrow, and my friend will be sharpening it the day after that, so I have a few days to figure out if I like the dots on the blade or not. 

Oh and I went ahead and did some polishing...came out pretty good, IMO.  Eventually I'll polish up the plier heads as well.  Here's some pics!
DSC01302 by Scooby Walker, on Flickr

DSC01300 by Scooby Walker, on Flickr

DSC01293 by Scooby Walker, on Flickr

DSC01298 by Scooby Walker, on Flickr

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #29 on: February 06, 2017, 09:55:42 PM
Shiny!

I like the JB Weld dots. very creative way of creating more purchase on the tools.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%