Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lynn's $10 MT Challenge

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Lynn's $10 MT Challenge
on: February 01, 2018, 03:51:01 PM
The $5 Challenge went so well, we're going again, this time with the exorbitant budget of $10 per tool!

I will be finding 10 tools for the challenge. They will cost more that $5, and not more than $10 all in, including shipping and tax, aiming closer to the $10 mark. If I get the tool as part of a lot (like from ebay, with multiple tools), I'll calculate the tool's value as best as I can, based on lowest prices for the same models new.

There will be new tools, and used tools. There will be full size plier tools, keychain size tools, and knife-based (Swiss Army or the like) tools.

I have known this was coming for pretty much an entire month, so I have had a good bit of time to both roam local pawn shops, and scour ebay. I was frankly amazed what could be had for $10.

I had to eliminate Used 3-layer Swiss Army knives from the competition, simply because it's so very easy to acquire them at the sub-$10 mark. IF you buy more than one, to split the cost of shipping, they're under $10 each through our very own MTO Store (shameless plug).
https://store.multitool.org/departments/-102victorinoxwenger-models-2layer-141.html

I also came across a brand new Victorinox Classic SD, that was on clearance for $9.99... plus tax. But this means the Classic is almost available new for this price range.

It should also be noted that Multitool.org is footing the bill for the cost of these tools. If you find these activities amusing, maybe consider donating to the site to keep the fun going.

Now... let's see what Lynn could dig up...

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Re: Lynn's $10 MT Challenge
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 05:33:26 PM
First tool in the $10 MT Challenge is a brand new IDL T5!

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75709.0.html

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 03:13:58 PM
I love these challenges  :ahhh

Thanks Lynn!  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 03:28:40 PM
You are most welcome. I have to be honest. I'm starting to get to the point where it's more fun when the tool is terrible.

The ISL T5 was pretty excellent, which is neat to find a good new tool at this price, but... No bloody knuckles, and no swearing, so... :think:

:rofl:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 03:49:55 PM
It's time I tell you all a tale. I call it... 'The tool review that almost was'.

Like Robocop (because all good stories are like Robocop, at least a little, aren't they?), I have a hidden directive.

Grant said get tools, and review them. But he said something ELSE, didn't he, my little sweets?
And that was... when I was done, I should see if I could recoup funds on my investment.

I did. Some. I traded in 'Ruby' from the $5 Challenge, and some others, at a pawn shop.

But I had this big, neat plan, to take the the Aitor, the best find from the $5 Challenge, and get something cool for THIS challenge, because with it's under-$5 and shipping, I'd JUST squeak in for the cost of this challenge. Here's a link to the Aitor from the $5 Challenge.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75210.0.html

But...

The Aitor sadly went MIA. The USPS first sent it to California, when it was supposed to go to Indiana. Then, when the package finally DID arrive, it looked like the Aitor had muscled up to the edge of that bubblewrapped mailer, and hulk-smashed right out.

So, what was GOING to be a trade, ended up with me paying for the tool instead.

But it was GOING to be in the review, by criminy.

And so I present, the tool review that almost was... The Leatherman Juice S2.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 04:02:10 PM
But Lynn, who's to say you didn't pay for each of the individual items in the parcel?

:pok:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 04:05:51 PM
But Lynn, who's to say you didn't pay for each of the individual items in the parcel?

:pok:

:rofl:

Well, when you put it THAT way.  :D

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 07:31:09 PM
sorry about the Aitor Lynn... :oops:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 07:36:00 PM
That's alright. Stuff happens.

The next competitor, the Marbles Camp Knife!
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75730.0.html

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 08:05:05 PM
And, to top the Marble's version, here's a legitimate Camillus-made Mil-K knife for the competition...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75741.new.html

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 01:53:12 AM
First tool in the $10 MT Challenge is a brand new IDL T5!

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75709.0.html

I do like IDL tools!
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 10:00:27 PM
Another 'tool that almost was' for the record.

The only reason this tool didn't make the cut is... it's just not that interesting, frankly. After watching ebay for a month, tools like it can be had pretty readily at this price point. And it's not what I'd call a great tool.

I present to you a Colonial made camp knife, circa 1980. I'd be more specific, but i can find nothing on its model number or specific name so... :think:

Usually, we're all going on and on about the 'Chinese knock-offs'. Well, this is pretty clearly an American knockoff of the Swiss Army Knife. I don't even want to do a full review of it, but i'll give the short version. The blade is not very sharp, and I don't want to work hard enough to make it so. The can opener works as promised. The flathead is not ground thin enough to slot into a screw as received, but I fixed it with a file. The awl has the triple whammy of terrible. The tip is blunt, the retention in the open position is incredibly weak, and the edge is VERY sharp. My index finger has suffered enough from awls lately, thank you very much. The corkscrew is untested, but seems solid. The peening is through the relatively soft scales, so there's a lot of side to side play in the tools. Overall, I'd rather have the $4 Walmart SAK-knockoff, by far.

On a purely personal note, the advertising is for a place in Zanesville, Ohio. That's the next 'big' town over from where I grew up, and the nearest mall to me growing up. So sorta-kinda my stomping grounds.

After getting this tool, I started thinking about the Mil-K knife, which led me to getting the Marbles knife, which led me to getting the actual Camillus Mil-K knife.

This knife cost me $8.50 with shipping, won on ebay. If I had it to do over again, I would not get it, but I chalk it up as cost of education in pocket knives.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:02:24 PM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 04:43:52 AM
Next up, a legitimate contender, the Plier Wrench, the generic version of the 'Jeep H07', or 'Jeep Cretaceous'.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75808.html

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 06:29:19 AM
I do like IDL tools!

Apparently, so do I. This is my second. I liked the IDL T10 as well. They are shockingly good, IMO.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 01:43:31 PM
Next up, a legitimate contender, the Plier Wrench, the generic version of the 'Jeep H07', or 'Jeep Cretaceous'.

Also known as the Cattleman Cutlery Tool and in house here as the SpyderGuppie.  :D

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,42161.0.html

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,24809.0.html

Nice find!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 03:53:25 PM

I posted a lengthy post on your thread about it (sorry!!) and compared it to the other one I have, the larger model with some differences,

hope it is useful to you or somebody else and prevents others to lose the wrench function as happened with mine.  :salute:
My toys:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 02:51:17 PM
The next contender to step into the ring is the Mossy Oak 11-in-1 Multitool.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75838.0.html

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 09:41:36 PM
We have passed a threshold in this challenge.

From this point on, all of the tools are name-brand, and 'used'. Some are VERY used.

You are warned.

THERE WILL BE RUST!   :viking:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: February 10, 2018, 03:02:34 PM
We have passed a threshold in this challenge.

From this point on, all of the tools are name-brand, and 'used'. Some are VERY used.

You are warned.

:popcorn:
My toys:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #19 on: February 10, 2018, 10:59:33 PM

Rust. Blood. Same thing, really.

Let the torment commence.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 02:05:28 AM
So... here's a valuable bit of information for anyone who might be considering getting used Swiss Army Knives off of ebay.

If you do, make yourself a 'tool pick'. The top one is 12-gauge copper wire, hammered a bit flat, then filed. The middle one was a penny cut with metal shears, hammered out. The third is a Chinese brass/bronze coin, cut with dremel and sanded to a fine point.

However you make it, make it of copper, brass, or bronze. Actually, the newer U.S. pennies are zink, and that's fine too. Those metals can be used to pick at the harder stainless steel without fear of damaging it. It also holds up pretty well. I tried using bamboo skewers to clean grime out of used Swiss Army Knives. I tried paper, folded in various ways. Softish metal seems to be the best.

And from my experience, the odds are that you will NEED a tool to pick a lot of grime out of your 'gently used' Swiss Army Knife.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 04:44:13 PM
So... here's a valuable bit of information for anyone who might be considering getting used Swiss Army Knives off of ebay.

If you do, make yourself a 'tool pick'. The top one is 12-gauge copper wire, hammered a bit flat, then filed. The middle one was a penny cut with metal shears, hammered out. The third is a Chinese brass/bronze coin, cut with dremel and sanded to a fine point.

However you make it, make it of copper, brass, or bronze. Actually, the newer U.S. pennies are zink, and that's fine too. Those metals can be used to pick at the harder stainless steel without fear of damaging it. It also holds up pretty well. I tried using bamboo skewers to clean grime out of used Swiss Army Knives. I tried paper, folded in various ways. Softish metal seems to be the best.

And from my experience, the odds are that you will NEED a tool to pick a lot of grime out of your 'gently used' Swiss Army Knife.

nice detail  :D

I use aluminum toothpicks for gritty tool extraction/opening  :salute:
My toys:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #22 on: February 11, 2018, 08:21:49 PM
And if you're going to lead with a statement like 'make one of these if you buy used Swiss Army knives', I guess you need to follow up with a used Swiss Army Knife, huh?

So, here we go. One used Victorinox Explorer.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75871.0.html

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 10:26:38 PM
And the next contender... A used Leatherman Micra.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75896.0.html

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 04:26:55 AM
After these last two tools, I have to say, I'm AMAZED at how well tools can clean up with a little effort. Both the Explorer and Micra needed a fair amount of work, but came right back to life.

I believe I can say that I'm a fan of this 'Stainless Steel'. I think it's really going to catch on. :D

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 05:08:44 AM
After these last two tools, I have to say, I'm AMAZED at how well tools can clean up with a little effort. Both the Explorer and Micra needed a fair amount of work, but came right back to life.

I believe I can say that I'm a fan of this 'Stainless Steel'. I think it's really going to catch on. :D

And it tastes just like WD-40 too! Amazing!
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 05:11:41 AM
And it tastes just like WD-40 too! Amazing!

I'm pretty sure my husband thinks that I believe WD-40 is an air freshener. :D

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 05:19:34 AM
I'm pretty sure my husband thinks that I believe WD-40 is an air freshener. :D

I used to overdo it a bit too..  :D

By now though my skin seems to be sensitized to many types of oils so I try to reduce my WD40 abuse too. (Turns out exposure to cutting and hydraulic oils with funny additives aren't all that great for your skin).

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:20:56 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 11:39:50 PM
A brief discussion on pawn shops.

I want to bring up a topic that kind of becomes important later in the challenge.

I live just on the Eastern edge of the St. Louis Metropolitan Area. The metro area has a population of 2.8 million people. It's the 20th largest in the U.S. That's a pretty large population. This gives me a fair number of pawn shops to hunt through when looking for bargains. More than that, we live in a solidly working class area, and very near to areas that are economically depressed. Apparently, rich people aren't much into pawn shops. They tend to be in less affluent areas.

I have a pawn shop within easy walking distance, and three more in town, within say 2 or 3 miles. If I am willing to drive another 15 minutes, I get 6 more options.

I have found a couple things to be true when going to pawn shops. First, TAKE CASH. I don't know why, and it's not my business, but if you pay in cash, you can get better prices. I don't know if they're not putting it on the books and not paying taxes on that money, or what. Not my business. But you can get better deals with cash.

Second thing is you can get two things WAY cheaper than you can get one thing. For instance, I went into a pawn shop. There are two items, one marked at $45, one at $15.

"Will you come down to $10 on this $15 item?"
"No."
"Okay, will you come down to $30 on this $45 one?"
"No."
"Will you come down to $40 for both?"
"Sure."
So... I just payed $30 for that and $10 for that, and ... :shrug:
But I paid in cash, too.

I have purchased a number of MTs from pawn shops, and the greatest thing i learned is that in this instance... rust is your friend. If you're willing to take the time to clean it up, it's good that it's rusty. It's not really messing up the function, and you can hem and haw over how the thing is 'rusted solid'.

I would really like to make things 'repeatable' in these challenges. Meaning, not only can I get X tool for Y dollars, but I can consistently do it, and others (at least in the U.S.) should also be able to do it, but pawn shops (and yard sales) are really random. So I have to apologize to those readers who don't have access to this kind of resource in searching for affordable tools. I do, and some of the stuff I found for the $5 challenge came from pawn shops, and some of the stuff still to come in this challenge are pawn shop finds.

For those that do have pawn shops to search through, good hunting!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #29 on: February 14, 2018, 03:34:32 PM
The next tool in the challenge, a used Victorinox Huntsman.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75927.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD